Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Getting Started With V7N > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New members introduce yourselves. Not your website, yourself. :)

Share |
Old 11-16-2016, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Arrow hi

Click image for larger version

Name:	SummerIsComingsmaller.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	18711

OK. Intro. Early retired (turn 6.5 next year - yes, counting in decades) with little - but enough in a barely sort of manner - money. But I have not had to work in 2+ years and counting.

Last actual got paid for it freelance web development was long enough ago that my last purchased PHP books are barely version 5 and pretty much never opened after the initial perusal.

My original programming language was Fortran 2. I will probably look as old as Gandalf when I reach that age. When it comes to front-end design work, "I have heard tales of this thing you call fashion" applies. I do however "give good control panel".

On the flip side:

Most everything I access now is either online or locally stored as digital. Really need to sort through my fiction books and pull out the unread ones - pretty sure no more than 3-4 hundred are new to me out of the thousand I slapped on the Kindle already. That and a bit over 8 gig of music have it complaining about less than a gig still free. Good thing I have no desire to watch videos on a little 7 inch screen.

I do not use deprecated functions or tags when I do any coding (had an old "microgame" boardgame from 1978 that kept bugging me for a revamp and it ended up as a PHP prototype for server/browser so not totally in the Dark Ages here).

It only took me a couple hours of research on the IE page load/reload white flash thingy to scrap the complicated approaches and use the simple work-around - I can tell you what that is if you do not already know it. If you have an interesting problem and want a from way out in left field next to the twilight zone look at it I might be your first step in that direction.

Since I often wander about in the "dangerous" parts of the web (pirate sites, malicious sites, attempt to hijack browser sites, etc) can give anecdotal info on not being stupid when you do that.
Basic advice: always have things backed up and have the capability to install from scratch on a new hard drive. Be able to do this anyway because drives can fail all on their own from normal use.

Current hardware: a Win7 laptop being used for the magicjack and as a media player for living room and kitchen tv displays (mostly .mkv files but a few .ts and .flv so the got-it-free bluray will not play some of them and has inferior controls anyway), my usual laptop (Win10 now but just an old I3 chip and a 500gig drive), an old Kindle Fire HD (from the pawnshop), a couple of TB external drives and a few thumb drives.

So, no cellphone info available from me and all I can say about the Kindle is basic stuff - recommend VLC player if you want to watch videos, FTP can be used if it resists talking to your computer via USB, Silk and Aurora browsers do not properly display all HTML character codes (even Explorer does better), 7 inch screen pretty good as a paperback book type display but too small to make video worthwhile in most cases. Decent as an mp3 player for music while you read.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Getting Started With V7N > New Member Introductions