Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Share |
Old 07-24-2009, 10:15 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down Learning To Run and Promote Your Business

Some say that the very minute we stop learning, is the moment our businesses begin to become stale, inviting the risk of failure. What steps are you taking to keep learning? Do you take classes? Are you self taught? Do you study and learn from tutorials? What action has helped the most?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 AM
v7n Mentor

My business is Bricks and Mortar but I think a lot of things still apply online. I constantly check out my competition. I subscribe to trade magazines to see what's on the cutting edge. Inventory is my biggest struggle. Trying to determine what will sell and what will just sit. I make myself take a few minutes each day googling other retailers and industry professionals to see what's new. I am also a member of our local Chamber of Commerce and on the board of directors of our local downtown merchants assoc. You can never do too much networking, even if your bad at it, you will see familiar faces and feel more comfortable striking up a conversation if you regularly attend.

BTW. I own and operate a self serve pet wash a boutique. WagandWash(dot)ca , if you want to take a look.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Administrator

Do you take classes?
Yes, both on and off line

Are you self taught?
The business side of things are from past experiences (seeing what others did and what didn't work), reading business books and reading online.

Do you study and learn from tutorials?
Yes

What action has helped the most?
Implementing what was learnt. Practicing techniques over and over. Creating checklists so each step is covered.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

Somewhere along the line I experience an interest or need to learn the skill to meet an objective. Whether it was a function in a spreadsheet, or designing that first web page, I learned to push to the next step. Of course, the more you learn, the more you learn what you don't know. And, since I don't always have the opportunity to use what I've learned every day, there is the need to go back and re-learn, or refresh what I have done in the past.

My learning process has been a mixture of books, tutorials and on-line forums.

Still learning.

Mike

Old 07-25-2009, 06:27 AM
v7n Mentor

For me, being part of a few forums is a great way to find out what is out there, and what people are talking about. If something catches my interest I research it further to keep up to date.

Most of what I know is self taught through trial and error and making use of online tutorials. One of the best things about the internet is how most people are so willing to share what they have learned.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM
v7n Mentor

Do you take classes?
Are you self taught?

...I need to start doing all of those...

Old 07-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Community Builder

Do you take classes?
nope.. well I took a 2 day dreamweaver class, but it was a free deal for me and I just took it to learn a little more about how DW works. Although I'm not a designer, so I only remember enough to be dangerous..lol

Are you self taught?
yup, with the exception of the 2 day DW class. I've been playing with forums for going on 5 years, didn't know a thing when I started, and now I work on million post sites every week, modifying and optimizing those sites.

yes, I try to read everything I can about my niche, and tutorials are great. Especially ones with pictures

What action has helped the most?
Just reading what others have done to marketing their sites, trial and error, testing methods I've read about and tracking which ones work and what doesn't

Old 07-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Some say that the very minute we stop learning, is the moment our businesses begin to become stale, inviting the risk of failure. What steps are you taking to keep learning? Do you take classes? Are you self taught? Do you study and learn from tutorials? What action has helped the most?
The biggest stress when you are retailer, like Trapper said: "Inventory is my biggest struggle. Trying to determine what will sell and what will just sit."

The steps I am taking to keep learning? There are plenty of business/marketing forums to learn from and shared experiences on internet.

Do you take classes? I did long time ago learn the basic marketing and sales techniques.

Are you self taught? Not all the time

Do you study and learn from tutorials? No, each business need to run differently, only experience count.

What action has helped the most? It is a mix between my wife' advises, what I learned in the past, experience from others and my own experience.

The results are very simple, we compete with big brands and manufacturers on internet, we are a powerful company working as a team with 10 outsourcing people/companies.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
My business is Bricks and Mortar but I think a lot of things still apply online. I constantly check out my competition. I subscribe to trade magazines to see what's on the cutting edge. Inventory is my biggest struggle. Trying to determine what will sell and what will just sit. I make myself take a few minutes each day googling other retailers and industry professionals to see what's new. I am also a member of our local Chamber of Commerce and on the board of directors of our local downtown merchants assoc. You can never do too much networking, even if your bad at it, you will see familiar faces and feel more comfortable striking up a conversation if you regularly attend.

BTW. I own and operate a self serve pet wash a boutique. WagandWash(dot)ca , if you want to take a look.
THIS is the most difficult thing for newbies to get. Business is business people are people. My background is sales and behavior modification (a nice combo) People still buy for emotional reasons. The only difference is the media.

Rick

Old 07-26-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
The very first thing that I am keep learning is, to write content in proper English. I am not a Native English speaker: so for me, this is a learning process that will take, quit a time.

Also, I write about a Niche where there are lot of things to learn. I visit different sites on regular bases. Look at projects to see what new is in demand. Then I do some research about it and then I write a post. There are also other things that I look for: hence, I am in the process of learning all the time.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 AM
Contributing Member

Looks to me like your English is better than most already. Since you had to learn it and study it I assume in school this will probably make your writing better than those who grew up speaking English yet flunked English in high school.

Rick

Old 07-27-2009, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Read articles, participate in foums, read blogs, attend conference, talk to collegeagues and test new ideas....

Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 AM

i'm self taught...
because what you've learned from own observation is 7 times more better than you learned it on classes !

Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

I worked my way up in the hosting industry. I started a few years ago as an intern at a free host and got offered a job in sales which I took then eventualy became manager. I've read a few biz books and a few quality ebooks.

Old 08-02-2009, 04:33 AM
v7n Mentor

Personally with my online business the only reason it has become successful is webmaster forums and blogs. I am self taught and find that staying ahead of the curve comes easy when constantly interacting with other webmasters through diffrent web 2.0 mediums.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Helpful forums such as this one is where I picked up internet marketing skills

Rick

Old 08-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Classes? Yes, I am still enrolled in Cricket's classes and have benefited greatly from them, especially since I was totally clueless when I first attempted to put up a website!

Yes, I am mostly self-taught in other areas. I took over a "brick and mortar" business after managing the same for a few years. It was easy enough to identify the previous owners' mistakes and rectify them. I have taught myself to make and repair jewelry with the help of online resources and books. Ditto for other "crafty" enterprises. These days I find that I spend so much time online that there's no longer any time for reading "real" books or magazines. (I used to read two a week for recreation, but now can't even manage to finish one per year!)

Overall, I still have to say that for me, hands-on experience is always the best teacher.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:32 PM

i think self taught is the best cause i'm a trial-and-error kind of guy

Old 08-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Banned

i thinks in promotions of any Business Experience and Business Skill is the most important factor. you don't need any tutorial for that.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertgallagher View Post
i thinks in promotions of any Business Experience and Business Skill is the most important factor. you don't need any tutorial for that.
isn't that like saying you don't need swimming lessons before jumping into the deep end?

Rick

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum