Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Share |
Old 09-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Does Working Online Isolate You from the World

For all the people who work from home, i'd like you to read this whole blog post before responding. Don't just read the title and reply with a answer. Since you work from home you got an extra few minutes to read this blog post.

This is from the dailyblogtips.com blog. (Part of a Q & A)
Quote:
When you work full time on the Internet you’ll definitely be having fewer face to face interactions, especially if compared with someone who works inside a large company. Certainly this is not a positive thing, as human beings are social by nature. But, it is not necessarily a bad thing either.

It can be a negative thing if you are a person who needs or likes to be interacting with other people all the time. There are people out there who simply would go nuts if they had to work all day alone inside a home office.

However, there are
http://www.dailyblogtips.com/does-wo...rom-the-world/

Also read the blog comments and respond if you want to. Make sure you post your feedback on V7N also. I leave myself 2 hours each day to relax on my lazyboy chair watching CNN or the history channel. Since i don't work from home i still interact with people at work/phone support and well visit family members on the weekend. I need to clear my mind of online stuff to still keep that edge.

Last edited by snakeair; 09-03-2010 at 09:12 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 09:20 PM
No Longer Active

Yes, of course it can be isolating. Now and then I have to be cautious not to become too much of a hermit and make sure I am out in the world occasionally. Having true online friends is important to me and keeps me somewhat sane and my kid will call me on it if she sees me getting a bit lost within myself. Additionally I am passionate about photography which pretty much forces me out the door in search of something to shoot.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Most of my working career I have had a job where I worked on my own most of the time so working online isn't much of a change.

No more commuting.
No more office politics.

The good thing about working alone is when something needs to get done, there's no interruptions from coworkers wanting to chit chat or that don't understand what a closed door means. Well, at least til the rest of the family comes home anyways.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

I do think so. Since I quitted my last job, I just do some online job at home. Because of this, I just stay at home all day, and go outside once a week. My sister says that this kind of life is rather terrible.

Old 09-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member

Can get very isolating if you let it and also sometimes hard to get motivated.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:54 AM
v7n Mentor

From my perspective there are more minuses than pluses. If you have little or no social interaction, you lose your grip on what the real world is like. Say for example you go out to a meeting, that you have not been to in awhile. There is a certain uneasiness that arrives, you have lost contact to a certain extent, you miss being fully informed, you miss face to face interaction, humorous interaction which is a key to feeling good. One thing that I have done, is gone portable. As an example, I keep my boat at a marina, have verizon wireless, and can operate my business from my boat. I normally mix things up by getting some fishing in, splitting my time up and enjoy the social environment at the marina. This setup also allows me to travel, get out golfing and pretty much stay active.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:20 AM

Hi,

What I think is that rather it keeps you in touch with world.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckett Walker View Post
Hi,

What I think is that rather it keeps you in touch with world.
Yes it does keep you in touch with the world...but does it keep you in touch with real people and the daily social interaction with same, the range of emotions and the other elements of communication such as facial expression, hand gestures, use of olfactory senses, the humor, maintaining a sense of self esteem. Unfortunately a computer screen does not provide for all of this and if you spend to much time in front of one, without "smelling the roses" it could over time be detrimental, that is my personal feeling.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Banned

I like it this way, because I came from a corporate background in my 20's and dealt with all kinds of attitudes from people. And, with the unstable economy out there, the only thing that is stable and has job security is the internet. You can build a million dollar business online, and run it from your car, via laptop and a wireless internet connection. How cool is that!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Banned

I think the isolation happens only if the person is addicted to internet and uses internet 20 hours a day.
Other wise I don't think anyone would work in internet more than 8-10 hours a day in average.
SO the isolation can make you tear up and alone in society but that would not happen if you
know how to manage your time properly and also spend some time with friends and offline business.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Yes, of course it can be isolating. Now and then I have to be cautious not to become too much of a hermit and make sure I am out in the world occasionally.
Same here. Luckily with the earned money it gave me the freedom to be a hermit in foreign lands across an ocean, where I, without studying, learned multiple languages, etc. by throwing myself into difficult situations and learning to survive. Even if you are a hermit you gotta go out to eat. And learn how to ask girls out in the local language (specially if you are in your 20's like me). And learn how to use transportation and read strange signs. So just be a hermit somewhere else where the living costs are 10x lower than the USA's and where the forced interactions necessary to live help you to learn and improve yourself.

I think the biggest problems are all the vices of the internet and temptations to get distracted. I'm not even just talking the typical male use for internet. I see far too many web owners fall down desperate unethical paths, deluding themselves into thinking they are successful (but working more hours for less pay than mcdonald's woulda given them) all in pursuit of some impossible dream (for many of them).

And let's also face it: the internet has far too many people "working" in it. The internet doesn't feed anyone, put clothes on anyone's back, or put shelter over anyone's head. The only argument for ANY productivity from the internet is in connecting people with products to those who want to buy them. When it deviates into selling e-books on how to make money from it, it becomes a parasitical leech on society of immeasurable proportions.

I say this because I personally knew a black hat software seller who joked that there was more money in ripping off desperate buyers for $300 for software promising to "earn them everything for doing nothing" than in the entire "earnings" of said industry itself.

So overall, while yes I made my money from it, and consider the tools I learned invaluable to companies I both manage and founded, overall I say it both isolates and creates an effect sometimes similar to welfare when it provides barely sustenance levels of income for some people who would be better off with normal jobs and normal lives.

*whew* that takes a load off. hah. And for those, who are genuises like myself that just did it cuz it was the only way to lazily earn money I have a new word for you: consulting. the field could use some bright new competition that I feel is getting sucked up by the internet marketing world. our salaries are too high for what we do, haha.

I feel it's a shame how many bright young geniuses (myself included for a while) get sucked up chasing the dream but not realizing there were different paths to go. I managed to have a success story, even get a great job despite not finishing college, but if I had to do it over, I woulda finished my degree and gone into consulting. You can do many jobs from anywhere in the world. You can have real freedom while "working for the man", just find the job you like.

Or if you really just want to work with computers, consider a degree in e-marketing or whatever and manage a corporation's internet marketing budgets/campaigns, etc. At least that way you'll be inside a corporation with real friends and coworkers.

Hope my advice helps someone.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:29 PM
v7n Mentor

I think, in relation to human interaction, there are positives and negatives about working from home.

When I worked in an office, I found that a lot of buffoons that were employed impacted my day negatively. Whilst it was great to have people to talk to, whilst working, especially in that cube farm, not everyone gets along and there are people that you are forced to suffer because they are your colleagues. Out in the *real* world you wouldn't give some of those people the time of day, so it can be a difficult challenge to work closely with them, for many hours of the day.

Working from home is a rather lonely experience. If you are busy, and I mean *in the weeds* busy, where you look at the time and its 6pm and you are like, hang on it was 9am 5 minutes ago - then you almost don't notice it. On those days where you aren't so busy though it can be very noticeable. I like to change up my scenery a bit (which is great when you have a laptop, mobile broadband, and cool places to hang out - I used to live right in Sydney's city so I was 5 minutes from some awesome outdoor offices )

The major upside is that you get to choose who you speak to of a day, and stress is generally kept to a minimum because you can avoid negative people if you put your mind to it

Old 09-07-2010, 01:58 AM
Banned

Many successful people who work online were the ones that were rejected the most by peers, past employers, and prefer to work comfortably. In addition, they find a piece of mind, but do tend to suffer from isolation, but can come and go freely as they please...

Old 09-07-2010, 02:20 AM

I don't think that doing online jobs a person may be separated from the world. I am doing online jobs and I have friends that I think I count count and I consistantly in contact with the society.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:59 AM

Sure, in the beginning you have to focus on creating a steady income, So you don't have time to lose . But after you got some progress you will find time for the offline activities

Old 09-07-2010, 06:15 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewryMedia View Post
Many successful people who work online were the ones that were rejected the most by peers, past employers, and prefer to work comfortably. In addition, they find a piece of mind, but do tend to suffer from isolation, but can come and go freely as they please...
WOW! Unless you have some statistics to back that comment up, you may have just isolated yourself from a whole lot of online business owners.

I spent 22+ years developing and implementing corporate level training programs, and had a strong background in professional speaking before I began my online career. I don't recall ever being rejected by past peers or employers. I simply chose to live a different lifestyle that involved freedom for my own interests and the ability to be home for my child. Working online provides that for me.

I have nearly 5,000 students in my online classes and find that a whole lot of them are folks just like me...

Old 09-07-2010, 06:52 AM

If you work in a virtual office, there is no hard and fast rule that you need to be surrounded by four walls and a window (if you’re lucky). The wonder of modern wireless internet means that you can conduct your meetings via the library, a coffee shop, at a park or even at the beach. Instead of conducting your meetings via the telephone or the Internet, arrange to catch up with your clients face to face occasionally to break the monotony and arrange to meet friends and family regularly for coffee and lunch to break up the day.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Ah yes working from home has definitely isolated me from the outside world in some way. My cell phone rings a lot less and I have started to develope somewhat of a gut from sitting down on my computer chair all day.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
WOW! Unless you have some statistics to back that comment up, you may have just isolated yourself from a whole lot of online business owners.

I spent 22+ years developing and implementing corporate level training programs, and had a strong background in professional speaking before I began my online career. I don't recall ever being rejected by past peers or employers. I simply chose to live a different lifestyle that involved freedom for my own interests and the ability to be home for my child. Working online provides that for me.

I have nearly 5,000 students in my online classes and find that a whole lot of them are folks just like me...
Hear hear!

Old 09-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Lets look at how working online has opened doors and taken down barriers for some people undoing the loneliness of being at home.

The internet has opened up lines of communication for those who are shut in or can't get a "regular job" because of a disability or sickness.

Working on the net for these people means no one knows about your disability/sickness (unless you tell them) and accepts you for who you are and what you can do, which should happen in the "real world" for everyone but that's a whole other thread. There is no one standing in the way of them being successful by rejecting them based on their disability or sickness.

Maybe you live in an isolated area where getting out isn't too practical. With the net you can make friends and run a business even in this situation.

You don't have to be isolated from the world if you work online. Get out there and make some new friends. Take the quiet times when no one is around to work on your business or to find new friends.

There are also the seniors who for one reason or another are on their own. They can start a business if they want, meet other seniors in seniors related forums or discussion groups to discuss "getting old" or keep in touch with their kids and grandkids. All of these help reduce the loneliness of being on their own.

Some don't have the option of "in person" people skills but can make the best of the situation they are in by using the net.

BTW: The woman in the article referenced above is hob nobbing with the likes of Darren Rowse (Problogger), Chris Brogan, Liz Strauss and Lorelle VanFossen these days. Plus speaking at conferences. Without the internet and her hard work this wouldn't have happened. We should all be so lucky and determined that working at home isn't going to be a lonely life.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum