Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Share |
Old 10-12-2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Documentation: a Vital Business Tool

This relates to the ongoing thread If You Were To Die Tomorrow, What Would Happen To Your Websites? here and another thread where a website owner is in a bind because their webmaster suddenly died.
Quote:
Last week, Miles told us about his unexpected time off work due to illness, and how his business managed without him. It made me think of my own situation. As a small business owner and interactive director at an agency, there are hundreds of tasks I perform on a daily or weekly basis that only I know how to do. Some of them are mundane technical tasks, while others require higher-level thought processes. Some might see this as job security, but I know it’s a liability.

In an absolute worst-case scenario, you could die or become disabled. More likely, you’ll be sick from time to time, and you’d probably like to be able to take a vacation every now and then without your mobile phone ringing nonstop.

When I realized the number of tasks no one else could perform where I worked, I decided to start documenting as many procedures as I could. Below is a general overview of how I began to document the day-to-day procedures.
Documentation: a Vital Business Tool

While I'm not crazy about storing things online, you really should have this information somewhere that your business partner/loved one can find it and continue the business or close it down gracefully should they need to.

And ending on a happier note:
Quote:
A positive side benefit to documenting your procedures now is that if you hire a person to perform some of these tasks (perhaps to free up some of your time), you’ll have a detailed manual. They may still need some additional training, but you’ll be off to a great start!
(from the article above)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Banned

This may be good. But I think only the programmer or author can only make the documentation of any program or website.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie2010 View Post
This may be good. But I think only the programmer or author can only make the documentation of any program or website.
Did you actually read the article?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum