Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-07-2010, 03:23 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Question How long do you give it??

I thought I would start this thread because I know we have all said this throughout our posts at one time or another. My question is......

How long do you give a business before you give up and decide it is not working, or is not for you? Is there a time limit for those experienced home business people or online networkers, or anyone that has tried and failed or tried and succeeded. I am not saying I am giving up on mine at all but I was just wondering if anyone had a time limit to know if a business will work or not if you put in the effort? I think we all have parameters when we start a business don't we?? Like we limit how much we are going to spend, how much time we have to dedicate to it a day, how much training it takes to learn it. but has anyone decided on a time limit to make it work or not?? Just curious, as I haven't noticed in any of the post this being discussed. I know we all talk about not giving up and what motivates us etc. I just thought it was an interesting topic to bring up for people who think "getting rich quick over night might use as a guideline" It is ok if you think this is a dumb question you can say that too

Old 11-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quitters never win and winners never quick.

Some realistic goal for a start up venture is the correct thing to do. The time should vary with the business model.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:53 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitty View Post
It is ok if you think this is a dumb question you can say that too
I happen to think it's a great question!

I'm a bit of a fish out of water, here... as most of you guys seem to be in the technical side of business. Well, maybe not... because that's why I'm here, to learn some of what you all will allow me to.
They say 'success comes from failure,' so I guess we should think about defining "success."

My vision of success has changed over the last few years. I was making a ton of money, in the most competitive environment I can think of. I thrived off of it.
But then I started to realize that I'd rather put my competitive nature into something that I can call my own. And I'm doing it. Not so glamorous, I know... but I can still grab an old pay stub and smack anyone who chooses to look down on what I do.

I smile every day. I don't wake up in the middle of the night, leaving myself voicemails of what I need to remember when I get to work (true story.)

Over the past two years, I've managed to bring quite a few new customers.
So to answer your question: I plan to give it enough time for these 'new' customers to become "Fiercely Loyal Customers."

In my opinion; the truly successful and wealthy people in the world... have figured out how to make money while they're sleeping!

(I think some of you have managed to figure this out.)

Old 11-07-2010, 04:06 PM
v7n Mentor

I don't figure there is an expiration date.
If I get tired of this or I die ... I'll quit.
For now ... no time-line.

Rabble Park

Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I've been going for 3 years now. Initially didn't earn a dime but I just kept doing what I knew and learnt and then suddenly it all seemed to work. Sure I still work and I probably earn enough through online marketing to make it my full time work - not retire or anything - but it pays me some good money which I wouldn't have if I didn't stick with it. If you want it do it but don't regret trying because you just simply never know.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebitty View Post
I thought I would start this thread because I know we have all said this throughout our posts at one time or another. My question is......

How long do you give a business before you give up and decide it is not working, or is not for you? Is there a time limit for those experienced home business people or online networkers, or anyone that has tried and failed or tried and succeeded. I am not saying I am giving up on mine at all but I was just wondering if anyone had a time limit to know if a business will work or not if you put in the effort? I think we all have parameters when we start a business don't we?? Like we limit how much we are going to spend, how much time we have to dedicate to it a day, how much training it takes to learn it. but has anyone decided on a time limit to make it work or not?? Just curious, as I haven't noticed in any of the post this being discussed. I know we all talk about not giving up and what motivates us etc. I just thought it was an interesting topic to bring up for people who think "getting rich quick over night might use as a guideline" It is ok if you think this is a dumb question you can say that too
I don't work full time in the online field but do make extra cash on the side that pays a few bills or goes in my pocket so i can by useless things. I do have dreams to make a living at home but right now i love my full time job. Somehow i squeeze 3 or 4 hours of sleep in everyday. I've been full time at this company since i was 19 and i'm 30 right now. Besides working, i still do the affiliate marketing thing, run a blog and well post on "a" forum. In the many years i've did the online thang, i've wanted to get out of it all together because i had made a bad investment but i know learning from mistakes will only make you smarter.

People should not give up but work harder or find a mentor to perhaps help reach your goals or dreams. For some of us, it make take more then a few years to break out and reach that figure you always dreamed of making. For some people, they may reach that figure in a few months of getting into the online business.

There is no time limit for when to stop. If that business is not working then do something crazy and experiment with a new strategy for that business.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM

Actually there is not a time limit.
But something is limitness indeed !

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Quitters never win and winners never quick.
Yes, I agree with your point and I would say that for being a winner you should never think about quitting and you should be ready for challenges and the hardships that may come in your business.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Most people in business gave up and went on to other things. In my opinion, success was tied to not giving up. Sometimes we need to take a break so it will take some of the pressure off and make you feel much more motivated upon returning to your business.

Old 11-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Persistence is key. You should enjoy doing this and it should be almost be a hobby. If you don't then why bother? :-)
|Superior 24/7 American phone support|
|Enterprise hosting at a non-enterprise price|

Old 11-16-2010, 02:31 AM

The best thing is start very slow - think everything through and when you are 100% sure that it will work when you commit to it then start working with full power! But when you still not succeed giving your 100%, then just remember a winner must lose in order to win aka it does not mean you have ultimately failed, just this project didnt work, start working on another one, dont give up!

Important is to give your best working on a project and when it does not work, move on!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 AM

Where there is a will, there is a way, kind of... No amount of determination can make up for lack of knowledge or experience. If you do not know enough about the industry/niche then you may have to throw in the towel. Personally, I don't start a business unless I am 100% confident I know enough about every aspect of the field to make it work. I will only quit on a business if my time is worth more money elsewhere.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

half year to one year. if you still fail to get good result after one year, you might consider to give up unless you got another good plan

Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Administrator

If you read up on starting a business you will find that the general answer is it takes 3-5 years for a business to get going.

You do need some business sense, which you can learn by studying and reading up on how to build a business.

I worked for a lot of startups over the years and one thing I found is they didn't understand:
a ) it takes time to build a profitable business
b ) you ain't going to make as much in the beginning as working for someone else
c ) cutting the sales sourcing end of the business isn't going to help. You have to bite the bullet and invest in this to get ahead.
d ) You can't do it all yourself. Cutting corners and trying to do everything yourself (when you don't have the skills to do the stuff) isn't saving anything. It actually costs you money because you are wasting time doing this stuff you aren't good at instead of doing what you are.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:02 PM

I really think that if your question is based on a business by business basis then it depends on the method. There are some methods where you need to wait a few months to see if it's going to pan out and other methods that you can figure out fairly quickly.

If I absolutely hate doing something though, I'll usually throw the towel in early. I'd rather make $5/hr doing something that I love than make $50/hr doing something that I hate.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Quitting or changing strategy?

The first site I built I dropped as soon as I realized it was never going to get any real traffic and I quickly built another site with better keyword research.

I suppose I could have stuck with that first site and pushed it for more competitive keywords but those keywords are incredibly competitive and I just don't have the experience for that. So I guess you could say I quit.

I just chalked it up to a learning experience and moved on.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Latest Blog:
Sprint Family Plans

My businesses are doing very well at this point but in the past I had plenty of ideas that never really took off. I think you just need to change strategy at first and if its still not working then change strategy again. After awhile if you get burnt out etc just leave it be if it's a website and you can leave it alone for awhile then come back when you feel like it. During that downtime you can try something else. Just look at most billionaires, the company that made them their money wasn't the first and in most cases wasn't even the 2nd or 3rd.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member

I would not quit, everything if done with full effort and with basics done correctly will shine one day. So, i would stick with one business plan.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum