Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Share |
Old 01-02-2011, 08:22 AM
v7n Mentor

I agree with those saying not to delete genuine negative comments.

Trying not to offend those customers who feel let down by your service is important. If you respond correctly to negative feedback, you can often turn that person on-side.

I learned this while I was trading on eBay. I had a few customers leave negative feedback, but by responding quickly to this feedback and trying to make it up to them, a lot of them became regular customers and changed their feedback back to grey (neutral).

If somebody makes the effort to re-establish contact with your business, even negative contact, this is often an opportunity rather than a crisis.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highseo View Post
Deleting bad reviews is really unprofessional. Its clear that each website, business or etc, liked by some people and disliked by some others. Its better that we use their ideas to improve our services instead of removing their ideas. I think:
Deleting bad reviews is equal staying in the current place and saying goodbye to better future.
I have seen and have many people asking for deleting the bad reviews about their sites and some people are even doing it for money and for me this topic is very beneficial to get the perfect ways to knowing practically how much it is thus needed.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

On the other hand, I was watching a documentry on online reviews, and there were several hotels who had listings in hotel review sites, and one bad review out of 20 good reviews is enough to kill a business.

The hotel was essentiall a £20 a night hostel, but it had individual rooms. It was designed fro students and other people on a budget.

Some reviewer who was probably expecting 5* service for £20 a night, left a 1 star horrendous review, and all enquiries literally stopped after that.

Hotel industry in one that people ALWAYS read reviews before visiting, and even more commonly visit these review sites that pitch deffiernt hotels to each other, so when you have a 1 star review [worst possible rating] it is always visible, espeically if it's the most recent one.

I've seen this on amazon too, someone who bought a one off fault product, or just didn't understand how to use it, or was expecting it to perform like a high end product, when it was priced right at the low end and was supposed to be jusy "functional", leave a horrible review and hurt people's business.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Administrator

1 bad review out of 20 killed the hostel's business? People who read reviews certainly are smarter than that I would think.

There is always going to one complainer in the bunch, no matter how great a product or service is, you just have to take that one with a grain of salt. Some will complain even if the firm bent over backwards trying to make them happy.

If you monitor your company name or website with Google Alerts, you can catch stuff like this and respond accordingly to rectify the situation.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
1 bad review out of 20 killed the hostel's business? People who read reviews certainly are smarter than that I would think.

There is always going to one complainer in the bunch, no matter how great a product or service is, you just have to take that one with a grain of salt. Some will complain even if the firm bent over backwards trying to make them happy.

If you monitor your company name or website with Google Alerts, you can catch stuff like this and respond accordingly to rectify the situation.
You would think that, but the business had to shut down because the review literally KILLED the business.

They were getting a lot of guests from this travel website, and the website itself ranked very high, so whenever people searched for a hotel name, the travel website's review would come up high too.

YThe thing is when people are happy with a service they rarely comment, you have to really persist and encourage people to leave a positive comment. On the other hand negative comments are more common and some people unfortunately when they are a bit irriatiated they will leave a really bad review down without thinking twice.

The travel website refused to take the negative review down.

Sorry, if I had the names of the websites and businesses I could have made a better posts. It was a long time ago, and the documentry was on online businesses.

Several businesses were concerned that competitors were creating fake reviews, and under the guise of anonymity, and some websites were unwilling to provide contact details of complainants which made it easy for competitiros to shaft online businesses.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Banned

Deleting negative feedback or reviews is such a non-professional way. I never trust positive comments as a first time customer. I would even go so far to say as a business.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 AM

5 Reasons To Not Delete Negative Reviews

Negative review is a path to progress if it is done in a constructive way. But if it is abuse or foul words then it is better to delete.

Cheers!
ryan

Old 01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Contributing Member

I haven't had to deal with this yet, but agree with most of the comments. So far, people who have had any complaints (usually it's been a case of fragile products which were damaged in shipping) have contacted me directly and I've taken care of it.

The only instance in which I could see myself deleting such a comment or review would be if it were obvious to me that it was simply a troll attack and not an actual customer.

Thanks for the tip about Google alerts. That sounds like an easy way for any business to keep on top of its online reputation.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Negative feedback is necessary just like no one is perfect
we had a experice one of my customer he bought a Ipad from us
and after he used for a while,there are some problems,so he wants us to return his money,
we accepted to return the Ipad and we exchange a new one for him,and we pay the shipping fees,but he said he will not do like this and leave us a negative feedback!
explore your mistake is good for your future even it's hurting right!

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 03-25-2011 at 09:09 PM.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:43 PM
Contributing Member

Absolutely not. I think a negative comment or review presents a great opportunity to showcase your level of commitment to proper customer service. That blog post is funny with the "street cred" section but it's true. If I see only sparkling testimonials and great things said on a social media profile I'm going to suspect it's being engineered in some way.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
The only instance in which I could see myself deleting such a comment or review would be if it were obvious to me that it was simply a troll attack and not an actual customer.

Thanks for the tip about Google alerts. That sounds like an easy way for any business to keep on top of its online reputation.
A) I agree. I've had to delete the trolls that added nothing to the conversation or just shared spammy links.

B) Google Alerts is a fantastic and free tool to keep a pulse on what's being said about you, your business, AND your competition!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

From a buying public's pov, some negative reviews does help in making the business seem real & legit. Like what some people have said here, you can turn the bad into a good. Learn from it. Instead of deleting negative reviews, make an effort to address the issue. That way, potential clients can be assured of great customer service even after a sale.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:48 AM
Banned

Yes, leave it there. People will better understand your business by all kind of reviews, and prepare for the disadvantage in advance.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Administrator

New research proves that RESPONDING to negative feedback online benefits companies

Quote:
One of the biggest misconceptions companies have about online and social media is that any and all negative reviews and comments should be completely ignored. The idea seems to be that if companies ignore the negative response from customers, that it ‘goes away’.

A new Harris survey concludes that the opposite is true, if companies address negative reviews and feedback head-on, the customer often deletes the negative review AND sometimes even posts a positive one!
New research proves that RESPONDING to negative feedback online benefits companies

Old 03-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

I will agree that negative reviews should be retained in our sites.
Is a matter of how we treat this negative reviews.

Does we see these reviews as negative or positive, is simply lies with our beliefs, background, culture and environment.

Negative reviews can serve as a sign that things are not working well and there is room for improvements.

It can also be a form of encouragement, as people will take their time and efforts to highlight to us where the actual problems lie.

From here, how are we going to handle them still remain as a challenge.

Richman

Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 AM

because we can learn our weakness from negative remarks and it is good for us.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The thing is, when looking for a hotel you literally have hundreds of options. So when it comes down to choosing between a hotel with just positive reviews and one with a negative review, most will chose the first. That said, yes properly replying to a customers complaint can be a positive. The problem is whether you can actually reply. Some sites only allow those who bought a room to post reviews, so you have no chance of defending yourself / promising that customer a better service / whatever.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Banned

Although I personally wouldn't go so far as to be happy for negative reviews just because they can get a rumor start started, but I see where ishuvonet is coming from.

I too am a bit sceptical though if reviews only show praises, either people don't think critically or I feel someone is hand picking those reviews. Honesty above all else!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 AM
No Longer Active

I think there is a very little margin of disagreeing with the writer. Well what ever she wrote I would have done that naturally. But maybe sometimes I would delete one or two reviews after solving it later on. After a fair amount of time. I'm not sure it's ethical or not .

Old 04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Leave the reviews.

This lady is right. One cannot attain improvement without first being told what they are doing wrong. If you blow off critiquing comments, that's like going into denial. You don't want to deal with the problem because it's not important enough to get noticed.

The number one purpose of customer service is just what their title describes; serving the customer. Granted, the customer is not always right.

I've periodically worked in the customer service department of my job. I can tell you right now that many customers are unreasonable... and I deal with brides, event planners, people trying to impress their boss, etc.. These are pressured, cracking people that simply want to have the perfect day, nothing more.

I also manage our ratings and reviews across all website; even with all the above in mind about our customer base, I still don't get many unreasonable reviews. I respond to every single one, too. If the customer is, in fact, being unreasonable... well, it will show. Even if your fans are reading the conversation between you and that crazy SOB, they'll probably realize that someone didn't love that person enough as a child or something.

Scathing comments aside, the fact of the matter is that negative reviews, every once in a while, add more "color" to your company's profile. Respond to the problem, fix it, and you may well yet turn a disgruntled customer into your next big fan! (I know I've done it quite a few times!)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum