Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Share |
Old 01-30-2011, 02:07 AM

I think you can definitely get going by doing your own web sites first. there is some real knowledge to be gained by knowing the major issues of ecommerce first-hand. I've been there (promoted my online furniture store to the first page of Google in the US -I'm along there with Amazon, Bestbuy etc.) -knowing what issues to outsource and what is the core of your business is very important especially in ecommerce where there is big money.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-30-2011, 02:08 AM

HAHA I've actually had that happen to me, and I was foolish enough to get anxious and pay the bastards off. I learned never to do THAT again....

Old 01-30-2011, 02:29 AM
Contributing Member

absolutely, all of my sites I have done alone, and I am totally self taught. I find wordpress to be the best for me, it is VERY user friendly!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:21 PM

Ya its very easy to build website but i think you should create blog as it may also very easy for you to maintain. If you don't have much of dynamic functionality in your site then i prefer you go for blog of wordpress,blogspot or bravenet.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

Is this clothing that you're buying and reselling or custom, artsy stuff you're creating from scratch? If this is a novelty t-shirt/printed apparel type venture you may as well start with something easy using spreadshirt.com or similar. If you can drive traffic and convert on a $10/month platform like that (where they host the shopping cart, inventory, do shipping -check your area for eligiblity) then consider building something from the ground up.

I'd test that way before investing a ton of money to build something people may not be interested in.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Building Web Sites

Most hosting companies provide tools in the control panel to build quick web sites.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatBurnsFat View Post
Most hosting companies provide tools in the control panel to build quick web sites.
Yes they do but somethings you need to consider:
  • Ya can't take the design with you usually.
  • They can make it difficult to back up your site for your own safe keeping. Never reply on the web host to back up your site. You could have spent 8 hours updating your site that would be lost if you updated between backups and the server crashes. i.e. You loose that 8 hours of work. Where as if you backed up the site yourself you could put the site back together with your lastest updates once the server is back up.
  • If you use the ecommerce software you might have a problem backing up that info and transfering it to your new location/ecommerce software.
  • If they suddenly shut the doors on you, you will loose your site if not backed up, and have to start all over.

Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Many people choose to start out doing much of their business operations themselves because the value of their time is less valuable than when the business begins to grow.

There's nothing wrong starting out with something you create yourself. However, unless you are familiar with the elements that are involved in driving quality business and traffic to your site, you could lose more in business opportunity than the nominal amount that would have been involved in paying an expert to create your online presence.

Ultimately, it's your decision which approach is appropriate. When you're ready, there are resources available to help you move to the next level, just a click away.

Regards,
Melanie

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 02-02-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: sig not displaying 'cause you don't have 30 posts <wink>

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum