Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Someone Offered To Purchase My Site

I had received an email last month in my account which I was unable to check until this month.

Within the inbox was an email from an individual, who requested to speak with the website owner. I promptly responded to this email last night, requesting for the individual to provide a specific inquiry as to why he wanted to speak with the website owner.

I personally thought this individual was interested in requesting some sort of link exchange, which I would have possibly considered. I get the response email today and this person wants to buy my website!

I was thrown aback, did not know what to think. I have not offered the website up for sale at any point in time, nor have I advertised that the website is for sale.

So what do you think this means? Does my website have value? Has my hard work paid off in the form of appreciation and desire to purchase?

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 02-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Pardon my cynicism and I intend no disrespect to you or your site; they probably plan to do you with a reversed charge or some appraisal scam. For your sake proceed with great caution.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Pardon my cynicism and I intend no disrespect to you or your site; they probably plan to do you with a reversed charge or some appraisal scam. For your sake proceed with great caution.
I simply told them my site is not for sale, because simply it is not. I do not have the intention on selling my site to anyone, I just found it rather interesting someone would go ahead and make an offer on a site that is not for sale.

The email address seemed legit, and he did mention that he was "genuinely" interested"

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 02-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Administrator

In case this happens again (seeing you have decided at this point not for sell),

Did the email happen to say something about based on an appraisal being done by one of the following companies (fill in names)?

I have gotten those. Sounds spammy/like they are solicting business for the firms (just like a paid poster for mentioning/sending someone to a site).

My thinking:
Huh? You approached me. The site is not advertised for sale. I'm not spending any money to sell to you. Make me a very lucrative offer and I might change my mind about selling.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 02-25-2012, 08:31 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Agree with a few of the others, approach with caution. Perhaps if you're looking to sell, list it on flippa or another like site. It doesn't guarantee protection, but is a better way to sell

Old 02-25-2012, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post

My thinking:
Huh? You approached me. The site is not advertised for sale. I'm not spending any money to sell to you. Make me a very lucrative offer and I might change my mind about selling.
Exactly this is whats on my mind...im not planning on selling, but throw a number out there regardless, perhaps i may consider it.

but no, the orginal email did not point to anything regarding appraisals, it came from a gmail account.

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 02-26-2012, 02:30 AM
Super Moderator

I had a email similiar to what Basic mentioned. I had a feeling it wasn't a legit offer so i tossed out a 6 figure number and never got a response back. lol

I would never sell my site to someone who emails me about it. I know places/brokers who i would contact to help me sell it.

You made the right call and continue to run your website.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I had a email similiar to what Basic mentioned. I had a feeling it wasn't a legit offer so i tossed out a 6 figure number and never got a response back. lol
See now that is funny, but I didn't even do that either...I responded to the email saying that my site is not for sale, but out of curiosity how much would you have offered if the site were for sale?

The individual responded to keep his email in case I change my mind in the future, yet did not provide me with a figure...so I guess we'll just leave it at that!

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 AM
Contributing Member

They probably are scammers or not. Just make sure you use west union, wire transfer or an escrow service to do the transaction.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangyang View Post
They probably are scammers or not. Just make sure you use west union, wire transfer or an escrow service to do the transaction.
huh? The thread creator isn't selling the site at all. Did you read the whole thread?

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-26-2012, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If they ask you to buy an appraisal, then I would say a scam. I have been contacted by email regarding selling domains I own. Sold a couple of domains to Russia and Sweden. These people contacted me through email alone. Paid via PayPal. Not all people are scam artist. Use common sense. The domains I sold had no websites. They found out some where I owned the domains.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:40 PM

Be cautious always when youre selling or buying something. No need to hurry with these things, just take your time to look who are after your domains/sites..

Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeGenius View Post
The domains I sold had no websites. They found out some where I owned the domains.
See now in the email, the individual mentioned that he wants to buy the site, but was not very specific, as to whether he actually wanted the entire site including all of the content, or whether he was solely interested in just the domain.

I guess it will remain a mystery!

Much Thanks,

BiologyWebmaster

Old 02-28-2012, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you're really not interested in selling your website just mention that i am not intended to sell my website. And no more conversations from there. But, if you're intended to do so, then confirm that whether the person who mailed you got a legit proposal or not and also try to confirm his/her details like who? from where? why interested in buying? Once, confirmed then officially start the business, until then don't reveal any personal information like phone, address etc.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
Dow Jones Today

Wow, nothing's strange about someone offering you money for your site. I sold 3 of my sites this way. My last deal was for a decent amount and I met with the guys to veryfy that everything is legit. I think you should not run away from such offers, just because you think that they are false... There are millions of ways to do the sale safely... Escrow for example...

Some cool online stories about big entrepreneurs and their ideas on my homepage.

Old 03-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

I agree. Sometimes the offer is real. I sold the com version of a name to the user of the net version exactly in this matter.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:27 PM
Latest Blog:
None

you at least should've tried to get a number, now you'll never know

Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 PM

Did I miss the URL somewhere in here? What's the URL to the site and how much $$$ was offered.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

What's so dangerous and odd about someone wanting to buy your site???

Just make sure that if you sell a site that you do it through escrow.com so the money is safe.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefandango View Post
What's so dangerous and odd about someone wanting to buy your site???

Just make sure that if you sell a site that you do it through escrow.com so the money is safe.
I don't know if you read Basic's response already or the rest of the replies but someetimes these types of emails are automated ones and not actually a real human wanting to buy your site.

I would never sell my site from someone contacting me by email. If i wanted to sell my site, i'd post it online or hire a broker to find a buyer. I'm more worried about getting scammed so i prefer to do the more traditional ways.

See Basic's response below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
In case this happens again (seeing you have decided at this point not for sell),

Did the email happen to say something about based on an appraisal being done by one of the following companies (fill in names)?

I have gotten those. Sounds spammy/like they are solicting business for the firms (just like a paid poster for mentioning/sending someone to a site).

My thinking:

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum