Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM

Email solutions for small online businesses?

I have been struggling with emails since the dawn of time. I handle all the emails for my business, I have one employee that helps me manufacture our products, but I do all the emailing. It's hard! It's my biggest problem... if I could consistently reply to every email we receive I'd probably get 300% more sales.

I have been using Gmail, but I'm lost in it. I want to be able to organize emails by folder... never opened, corresponding with customer, archived. I don't understand how to do this in Gmail. Labels seem useless to me as all of the emails are still in the inbox.

I looked into using Desk.com and alternatives. I liked the interface of "tickets" but hated that I had to import mail. I emailed myself through the client and people emailing me get an ugly email that says "type above this line or the email won't go through". I hate that.

I just want a good all in one client designed for customer service / business. you@yoursite.com is a must. No forwarding bs.

Is google apps really the best option for this type of email? Any alternatives you can suggest I try? Any articles on how to get better organized in Gmail?

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 05-31-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Administrator

With your web hosting account you should be able to create an email address with your domain name. e.g. sales@yourdomain.com

With an email client installed on your computer it can be set up to pickup your mail from the email addresses at your domain name, Gmail, etc.

In the email client you can set up folders to put the mail into either automatically with rules or manually after you have read them and decided which folder they belong in.

The other advantage of using a computer email client is that you can backup the emails in case of a computer crash or if you get a new machine.

A lot of people leave their emails on the web server (or Gmail like service) which takes up space plus if the service crashes you don't have a backup of your emails. This is also a problem if you change web hosting companies.

With your own hosted email addresses, when you travel you could always check the emails via the web mail service with the hosting company and deal with any emergencies that cannot wait until you get back to your computer.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:54 PM

Try to give salesforce a try. If you are using it for email purpose, the basic package will be enough to serve you. All your email is in case and you still can use your email eg. you@yourcompany.com for replying purpose. It is nice and clean to your customer

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 06-05-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 AM
v7n Mentor

Briii,

Just because you use Google doesn’t mean you can’t install some type of desktop client to download your email for you. Have you tried Outlook (or Entourage on Mac)? These have pretty clean interfaces and are easy to organize things.

Maybe these guys would work for you,

https://www.fusemail.com/solutions/small-business/

You could also check out icontact.com although that is more of a mass email marketing platform.

Best,

Shawn

Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Outlook.com has some pretty cool options for it AND you can add as many email addresses from different domains as you want. I set it up for some small business clients and they were happy with it. But, nothing compares to Google Apps, I would consider paying for it because you get Calendar, Drive and other really essential features that will boost your productivity as well as your teams'.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am using outlook, its easy to use and it gives options on how you can sort your e-mails. I am also receiving a large number of e-mails and I can flag those that I hv not responded too' even put a reminders in case I forgert to respond' plus I can save the e-mails,

Old 06-10-2013, 02:19 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

try to use outlook.com. at first it looks complicated but when you get to know how to use it, you will love its functionality. good luck!

Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 AM
Latest Blog:
None

It sounds like you don't have a good grasp on Gmail. I ran into the same issues at first, the whole label/archive thing threw me off. Once you get used to it, its not bad.

If you are looking for some good free solutions Roundcube has made huge strides the last year, it looks great now. Thunderbird is Mozilla's version of Outlook. You could also look at the open source edition of Zimbra.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Google Apps for business works well if you don't need many email accounts, Gmail also has a very intuitive interface.

If you purchase a shared hosting account, then you can use your webhost's email servers and webmail.

You can also get a VPS and have a management company manage email on it.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:16 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think the problem is that you must have subscribed to lot of products,that's why you are getting so many mails.

I suggest you to check your emails thoroughly, unsubscribe from them whom you do not want.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum