Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-03-2013, 03:55 PM

Switching payment processing & checkout systems

I have a client with numerous products being sold on 2 related websites, one of which is a Wordpress site. Both sites have been using Google for payment processing and checkout. Since Google is discontinuing its shopping cart I need to quickly switch over about 1,000 products to a new, secure, payment-processing/checkout system, one which doesn't cost any more than the Google cart did. That means free except for a modest processing charge taken out of each transaction. Almost nothing is actually sold directly from the website. People will come to the store to inspect the individual product. However having the option to buy online is needed for the "image" factor and as time goes on maybe more people will purchase that way.

I looked at the 3 companies Google suggested (FreshBooks, BrainTree, Shopify) but none of those do exactly what's needed for free. If this client were designing his sites from scratch, I'd try to find him an appropriate CMS but I have to work with what has already been created over the years.

We'd like to use PayPal for payment processing and at first it looked like PayPal's own, free, "Buy Now" button would fill the bill. Unfortunately that won't work because you have to generate the code for each button individually at PayPal's site. Multiplied by 1,000 items that translates into hundreds of dollars of labor time to create the code. It's already going to be expensive to change 1,000 individual pages, even with cut and paste!

Though the products are not in a database online, the shop owner does have his inventory in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. We need to find a system whose buy-button codes we can generate all at once by combining that with the unique product name, price, etc. for each row in the Excel spreadsheet. You can't do that with PayPal because their online software must be used, product by product, in order to generate encryption into the resulting code. PayPal says a solution might be to find a PayPal-compatible shopping cart whose code we could create from the spreadsheets.

So far all the free and low-cost versions of carts I've seen accommodate only a few products. With 1,000 products the cost becomes impractical. There are hundreds of shopping carts out there. Surely one must fill the bill if only I could find it.

Has anybody here already found my "ideal" Wordpress-compatible and PayPal-compatible shopping cart for a similar situation? Or come up with another inexpensive solution?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

That sounds monumental to switch all of those pages over. I use the WooCommerce plugin for Wordpress. It's free and accepts Paypal as well as other payment processors.

I don't know if it's what you're looking for, however I highly recommend checking it out.

http://www.woothemes.com/woocommerce/

Old 08-07-2013, 12:20 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you have individual pages so they have different prices too, and any payment processing method you use, you have to treat them individually!

If these 1000 pages are on permanent basis then you should make effort once, to create Paypal button as well.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:13 AM

Each product has its own payment button?? Thats crazy! We use WooCommerce on a couple of our Wordpress sites and use Stripe as the payment processor.. I don't even want to thing how long that is going to take to update...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum