Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Share |
Old 09-25-2016, 09:21 PM
Individualist

Question How many visits to conversion?

Years ago I heard somewhere that on average takes 3 visits to covert a prospective buyer into a customer. Of course, some visitors will buy on the first visit. Some visitors will never buy. And it will vary by industry.

But what I am looking for is actual data. Rules of thumb are nice, but I am sure there is actual data on this somewhere. Anybody know where?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-25-2016, 10:07 PM
Individualist

https://www.quora.com/How-many-times...ing-a-purchase

According to one sampling,

Quote:
The average site saw 73% of conversions occur on the first visit
The average site saw 14% of conversions occur on the second visit
The average site saw 5% of conversions occur on the third visit
The average conversion rate for these sites was 1.9%
Which at first glance would conflict with the Marketo report that says:

Quote:
up to 95 percent of qualified prospects on your Web site are there to research and are not yet ready to talk with a sales rep, but as many as 70 percent of them will eventually buy a product from you - or your competitors.
I think a lot of that conflict would disappear if you qualified the source.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:58 AM

CPAs vary

visitor to lead and lead to conversion varies widely if you are in B2b or b2c.
Even though there is data out there, it is still very hard to guess.
What you can do is to start with channels-- your traffic sources, and the CTRs for each. You can separate your lead sources, because customer origin and their respective conversion rates varies according to traffic source
Then with your leads, you can estimate the lead conversion rate, which hovers between 1-2%.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Hard to tell actually. I guess it all rolls down to how good you are at marketing your product. If your website has lots of information about the value of the product and the benefits it can bring to customers, then there is a big chance that they will buy it from the get go. Aside from that, you also have to deal with other people who are very hard to convince... At least these are the things I can share based on my own experience...

Old 11-07-2016, 03:40 AM
Contributing Member

Just imagine the following scenario...

I am selling a super effective new pain killer specifically for shoulder pain.

I have a website with the headline: "Get rid of your shoulder pain once and for all! And do it tonight, for just $5.99!"

Imagine that this website is perfectly designed and it offers the best user experience. The copy is also outstanding and very persuasive.

Now imagine that someone else has another site, with the following headline: "A new medicine that helps in dealing with pain"

This site has a boring copy explaining how the new medical findings are closely coming to a solution but it seems that not everyone can get rid of this shoulder pain... Its design is much worse than the first site and the overall user experience sucks.

Which one do you think will convert better? What will be the conversion rate?

So why did I come up with this random example? To convey the idea that there is NO STATISTIC that will give you an answer to your question... because it all depends on many, many factors.

It depends on the copywriting, it depends on the keyword and commercial intent, it depends on the design, on the type of traffic, on the device, heck, even at the time zone!

How can you know what converts better? It's simple: You test.

So wherever you read that statistic that it takes 3 visits for a convert to occur, that's a bunch of rubbish... As a matter of fact, it's way above any industry average! That is 33.33% conversion rate, and that is really BIG when it comes to online marketing (for many industries!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
Years ago I heard somewhere that on average takes 3 visits to covert a prospective buyer into a customer. Of course, some visitors will buy on the first visit. Some visitors will never buy. And it will vary by industry.

But what I am looking for is actual data. Rules of thumb are nice, but I am sure there is actual data on this somewhere. Anybody know where?

Old 11-07-2016, 03:44 AM
Contributing Member

Okay, it seems that I made a mistake and misunderstood the question... You are talking about frequency of visits, not number of visitors, which is a completely different thing..

But similarly to my first answer, there is no way you can have this number equal across industries and niches, so whatever number you've read is wrong... It can be average across industries, average across niches, and yet, it all depends on many other factors..

Old 11-11-2016, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member

I have hard data for my own businesses.

I have a conversion rate of 10% which is well above the 3% average for a landing page. 5-10%+ is going to make you a decent return.

I have several popular eBay shops and if I have a conversion rate above 8% my listing is usually at the top for my keyword. Anything below 1 in 10 and you are page 2 in my niche.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum