Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-20-2017, 11:18 PM
Contributing Member

How do you decide when to quit your job & start on your own?

If you've been sitting on the fence, thinking about quitting your job & starting out own your own, these signs at your current job should help you make up your mind!

Quote:

If you work at a startup, look for:

You never hear how much cash you have in the bank or hear what was discussed in the board meeting. When you ask questions, your executives say, “I need you to stay focused on your work.”

You have a Chief Strategy Officer. No one knows what he does. He disappears one day and is not replaced.

Your CTO just came out of a PhD program and wants to “commercialize his research.”

You have a raucous launch party that is attended by no customers, only your friends.

You’ve fired three VPs of Sales because each one told you, “The customers don’t want the product.”

Your CEO calls himself a “visionary” in his bio.

The CEO keeps everything secret because, “That is how Apple does it.”
Continued at https://qz.com/489222/telltale-signs...-ship-company/

Having worked for a big company & with several startups, I have personally seen many of these signs! Have you seen any of them yourself?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

At first planning , What to do?? & how to do??. Focus on your startup, when your business is going well then can quite your job and can focus on your work.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryfa View Post
At first planning , What to do?? & how to do??. Focus on your startup, when your business is going well then can quite your job and can focus on your work.
Can you read the blog post and write a more detailed response instead of a vague comment

Old 03-28-2017, 03:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

That the time when you need courage to staret your own start Up. its right way to start
go ahead.

Old 04-01-2017, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

When you know that you have enough money to take care of yours and the people dependent on you till your new venture gets settled and you start making money out of it.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryfa View Post
Start saving, create your own capital, invest then multiply your capital and finally start your own business....

Old 04-10-2017, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Anyone read the blog post? No one has an opinion or anything to add to it?

Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, the post is about the signs you should look out for at your current job that it's time to move on and start out on your own, rather than what is required to be an entrepreneur. With that in mind, any relevant replies?

Old 04-11-2017, 12:51 AM

If you want mental freedom - go ahead and start your own business. The first results may be not perfect, but the freedom is very important!

Old 04-11-2017, 02:21 AM

If you have a complete roadmap for any startup then you can start on your own, you have to do complete market research for any startup. you can take the example from a new online classified startup Quickadnow.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by career2nextorbit View Post
if you are satisfy with you job then you don't need to go to have your own business and if you think that you have some capabilities to to do something out of the box then you should proceed with your business!!
This post aims to teach people to recognise when they are not or when they shouldn't be satisfied with their current job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by career2nextorbit View Post
if you think that you have some capabilities to to do something out of the box then you should proceed with your business!!
I'm afraid being an entrepreneur is about more than self belief. Everyone thinks they can be an one, but very few actually manage to do it.

So in essence, one should look out for when to move on from a job. But that doesn't necessarily mean everyone should move on to be an entrepreneur. Maybe one could just move on to another job.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

While this can vary for each individual, I'll share what I did. I started affiliate marketing at nights to supplement my income. It took awhile before I even made my first commission. However, once I received my first check I began to get motivated. I just kept doing a little more at a time until I made enough to make my car payment. That was when I began to believe it was actually possible to one day "quit my day job"...

I then got laid off (I work in a seasonal tourist town...Branson, Mo..). I was laid off from December-March.. This is when I did a full blown commitment to quitting my job.. Mind you I was getting a couple hundred dollars a week unemployment so this helped. I told myself that If I could make enough to cover my bills by March during my 4 month layoff I would quit my job and even if I failed I would accept my fate.

When March came around I not only made enough to pay my bills, but was making nearly what I did at my job.

While this did work for me, I must disclose that I was a single guy. If your married, kids, etc... you have much more on the line. The first year was scary.. My income plummeted after a Google algorithm update and I almost went belly up and re-entered the "9-5" workforce. I would strongly suggest having a savings nest egg where you could keep your bills paid for 6 months to give you time to right the ship if things go bad... Because in the Online world, things can go south very fast. I've learned this on multiple occasions! Be sure that your committed, because you will get thrown a few curve balls where you question the path you've taken!

Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCoachIsDrunk View Post
While this can vary for each individual, I'll share what I did. I started affiliate marketing at nights to supplement my income. It took awhile before I even made my first commission. However, once I received my first check I began to get motivated. I just kept doing a little more at a time until I made enough to make my car payment. That was when I began to believe it was actually possible to one day "quit my day job"...

I then got laid off (I work in a seasonal tourist town...Branson, Mo..). I was laid off from December-March.. This is when I did a full blown commitment to quitting my job.. Mind you I was getting a couple hundred dollars a week unemployment so this helped. I told myself that If I could make enough to cover my bills by March during my 4 month layoff I would quit my job and even if I failed I would accept my fate.

When March came around I not only made enough to pay my bills, but was making nearly what I did at my job.

While this did work for me, I must disclose that I was a single guy. If your married, kids, etc... you have much more on the line. The first year was scary.. My income plummeted after a Google algorithm update and I almost went belly up and re-entered the "9-5" workforce. I would strongly suggest having a savings nest egg where you could keep your bills paid for 6 months to give you time to right the ship if things go bad... Because in the Online world, things can go south very fast. I've learned this on multiple occasions! Be sure that your committed, because you will get thrown a few curve balls where you question the path you've taken!
You've made two excellent points

1) Always have something in hand before you quit your job. It can take a while to get that first paycheck as an entrepreneur and you don't want to find yourself short of money during that period.

2) Never depend exclusively on Google for your income. It has a nasty habit of stabbing you in the back with its frequent algorithm changes. Always have a backup source of income.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:04 AM
Contributing Member

You are already laid off and are a creditor of the company... What choice do you have? BTW, if you start something of your own, please don't use the team from the previous office...

Old 04-23-2017, 11:36 PM

I guess when you are actually ready for that, it is a sort of risk. Taking calculated risk is a good thing when you know the results in advance.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think that an you have to decide if want to take a huge risk and if goes well be very well.
Or stay working for others.

Both are valid options, both have it's good and bad sides.
I preferred to do it on my own. But i also admire the ones who fallen in line and dress the t shirt of other companies and give their best every day.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A side hustle doesn't have to be quick or a huge risk. We have been working on our side hustle for a little over 4 years. We are currently transitioning from my original career to our side hustle full time. If you can't afford the risk then use the time you have to build your business.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It's different for everyone.

What are your responsibilities? What are your finances like?

These are the hard questions you've got to ask.

If your main source of income for your business was to fall out in the next month after qutting your job, what would you do? Do you have another source of say, traffic, other than your primary source to keep your business afloat?

It's always best to have a backup plan.

It's definitely different for every person and their responsibilities. I would not quit your day job until you have enough to live for 4 months at the very least without income.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:45 AM

You realize that you have enough cash to deal with yours and the general population reliant on you till your new pursuit receives settled and you begin profiting in return.

Old 05-29-2017, 08:14 PM

I would say that quitting your job right away is not wise decision.
If you really want to start a business you should be willing to put in all your extra time into it, like the time you spend for binge watching your favorite show
keep you job and start working on your business idea. Be prepared to put in a lot of time. Don't give up and eventually you just might get it right and then you can leave your job.
Also not all ideas work out and you might start over with new idea. just my humble opinion.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum