Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-06-2017, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Do You Run Your Business Completely Online?

If you rely completely on online access to run your business what back up plan do you have when the internet is down so your business does not come to a grinding halt.

Last week a national ISP was down for a few hours. People were on Twitter complaining. Stuff happens... They can't upgrade a system without upsetting someone no matter what time of day they do it. Glitches happen also.

If you are a service provider using an online calendar - what backup plan do you have for dispatching your crew?

What if the power goes out? Can people still phone you? It use to be the receptionist's phone in the office still worked in a power failure but if your whole phone system is run on VOIP you are in a mess whether the power goes out or your internet goes down.

If you have staff - how do you keep them busy? Some labour laws require you pay them a certain number of hours if your business goes down and they show up for work.

What backup plans do you have in place?

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Companies here in India face this kind of a situation almost on a daily basis. Internet coverage is ok in the urban areas & dodgy at best in the rural ones. Forget Internet, there is always a power outage somewhere! Even companies like Amazon have learned to adapt by falling back on PSTN phone lines & text messaging. Whatever the situation may be, the business never stops!

Old 05-08-2017, 01:36 AM

Here in the Philippines, what we do is to have multiple ISPs in place so if one breaks down, we have a back-up. we also have worker communities and co-working spaces that we go to that has a back up generator and multiple ISPs that we can use for a few.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

This is wonderful discussion I really depend on Online Few months back cyclone came name "varadha" a big disaster to our city complete no Internet for 1 week this was big loss to my business I handled it since I do business in offline like laptop services I always had a back up plan for my business local service help you to take your expenses.

Old 05-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia Sta Romana View Post
Here in the Philippines, what we do is to have multiple ISPs in place so if one breaks down, we have a back-up. we also have worker communities and co-working spaces that we go to that has a back up generator and multiple ISPs that we can use for a few.
The Japanese have been using the multiple ISP technique for a number of years. Wonder why the rest of the developed world doesn't catch up to them.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:26 PM

what most companies in western countries do - panic?

Old 05-18-2017, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEOware View Post
what most companies in western countries do - panic?
The question is what would you do? Panic is not an answer when it comes to running a online business and have employee's who depend on your leadership each day.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

For us is also a Huge problem 57% of our business is our online store and the rest mostly is also connected to online because the second biggest factor are people ordering in facebook messenger with 19%.

This graph is taken from our order management system i developed.

So is online store, facebook, phone, cellphone, picking at our office.

And this weekend the isp was down so we probably lost some orders to the competition, and was almost the panic.

Kinésio Tapes - Best Price/Quality ratio

Last edited by Miguel Portela; 05-18-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 AM

Is to have different ISPs set up so in the event that one separates we have a move down. we likewise have laborer groups and collaborating spaces that we go to that has a go down generator and numerous ISPs that we can use for a couple.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:21 AM

I run my business online, never thought of this.

Old 05-23-2017, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Multiple ISP. Thats it. In my previous company we had two connections i.e. 1) BSNL 2) SPidigo. The major problem was not with ISP but with electricity. We would take certains systems home and work from home.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imparas View Post
The major problem was not with ISP but with electricity.
Ya, one needs power to run the router(s).

Multiple ISPs doesn't seem to help if there is a national or continental outage of the internet.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Ya, one needs power to run the router(s).

Multiple ISPs doesn't seem to help if there is a national or continental outage of the internet.
ISPs, at least the bigger ones, usually have Geo redundancies built into their network. So a continental outage shouldn't take out multiple ones unless they happen to be on same submarine cable. A couple of years ago, a submarine cable that feeds India was cut near Egypt because a ship dropped anchor at the wrong place at the Suez Canal. The traffic passing through that cable was disrupted but that passing through the other ones was uninterrupted.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:26 AM

Now no idea, but after your, this question has compelled me now about to think upon it. But i am running my business offline from last 10 years, it was running smoothly, but from last 1 year i was just started selling my products online [removed]

Last edited by J. H. Rasmussen; 06-23-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Here in Greece we don't really suffer from power/electricity failures. Maybe once or twice a year for a few hours.

First of all you always use a landline phone for your online business. Doesn't cost that much to have. I don't know why fellow "e-businessmen" think they are covered with VOIP.

As for the employees, there are so many jobs that have to be done for an online store to work. Photoshoots and product image refining, orders to send or inventory may be some of them.

Definitely for those who suffer daily from outage, different ISP's is the best and only solution.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

This could be the solution to ISP disruption. Pretty much immune to natural calamities!

Quote:
ESA throws its weight behind satellite-based 5G internet
https://www.engadget.com/2017/06/21/...g-partnership/

Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 AM

I run all online. I had a hard time coming up with fast internet service in the 1990's. Today everything seems great no matter where I am.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 AM

My businesses are all ran strictly online. However, it is not my primary source of income (I hope it will be one day though.). With that being said, I'm in the states and I've never had an issue with accessing the internet at all.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 PM

I am planning to run my business purely online. Do you think it is advisable rather than having a physical store? We have these security doors in Melbourne as the main product and I am thinking if a completely online shop would be a good idea.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:00 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

In today world internet and power outages is not a big issue. You can use laptop batteries are good they can run 3 hours, you can buy additional batteries to avoid such conditions. Also if you cannot laptop buy UPS it cost $40 to $80, it can give 2 hours.

Regarding internet its era of 4G and LTE, if your connection is disconnected simply use 4GB its cheap.

Now your question is outdated because I am running online business since 10 years approx and working online since 2002, there was time we used to use modems and they were expensive, slow and they used to disconnect every 10 minutes. Computer were also slow my computer used to hang and require to restart almost every hour. Now such computer hang occurs very rarely may be in 6 months lol

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum