Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Online Business Forum General online business related topics including ecommerce, customer related issues, home based business challenges & tips, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-26-2017, 11:50 AM

eCommerce - product or service?

The e-commerce space is very competitive. We hear about a lot of companies growing fast and falling equally fast around the world. Specially the ones selling products.
However, I feel that the companies selling services online or online marketplaces for services might perform better than the ones selling products. Or are they already doing better?

What's your take on this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2017, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

Care to share your take on it first? Why do you feel services would do better than products? Are there any examples that you can offer?

Old 07-26-2017, 11:14 PM

1. The shipment cost of products is taking a big toll on e-commerce portals and reducing the profit margin.
2. inventory, fulfillment costs, etc.

Whereas for service-oriented companies they need to focus more on differentiation of service and perfect delivery. Like the travel companies (bus booking company redbus in India) have fewer things to spend on.

Sorry, I am not allowed to post links here as I am a new member.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:11 AM

Even the products & sevices have competition now, nothing is so easy to take a place in the industry as per my point of view. When we compare both, there are things which we have to consider both sides. what do you say?

Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaimy View Post
Even the products & sevices have competition now, nothing is so easy to take a place in the industry as per my point of view. When we compare both, there are things which we have to consider both sides. what do you say?
I agree. It's challenging for both in their own ways. However, I find service companies being more of successful than the products (physical) selling ones. That said, those selling digital products have an edge over ones selling physical products, I feel, as they have fewer things to worry about.

Old 08-03-2017, 06:31 AM

Product and Service both are easy

Product and Service both are easy. How? Initially once when our site is launched, if you target for a specific area or region and promote your product and service over there, it will work wonderful. In the product industry also you need to focus for the best service.

Just follow 3 formulas, you will be the big player in your industry.

1. Don't satisfy your customer delight them.
2. Don't stop when your customer is satisfied also satisfy yourself. (A deeper one, if you understand this you will 100% go Big)
3. Dream big but work for the small.

For me both the industries are good, you need to fit in it.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:26 AM

I think providing service is better than providing the product. Because result shows the success of service providing companies.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:49 AM

I think there's nothing to compare service or product as long as your idea of business is focused on a better quality product or service in your customer conveniences.
nowadays people compare the online products from different sites to which product is better in terms of quality and price in their budget limits, sometimes they'll go for expensive products no matter what because their "convenience approach".
also the services are compared as per their financial convenience with the optimal quality services.
so for both, its good or bad depending on how you challenge or excites your customer with quality products or services.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:27 AM

Digital Services as Profitable e-commerce Business in 2017

Hey,

First, the person starting to invest time in e-commerce business should understand what works best for him/her.

What I observe these days is that all Digital services are profitable Business ideas and anyone with any specific skills or expertise (ex: digital marketing, fitness trainer) can do well in this space.

Digital Services examples: (a pdf, an e-book, video) [Ex: Fitness trainer can create a video series of what all the fitness routines that a beginner have to to do in his first 30 days and sell them online]

Simple Reasons: No Shipping cost (delivered as a download pdf copy or as a video)

No inventory and no warehouse costs. No wastage or damage costs, unlike the physical products.

However, We have to put some effort to create videos or pdf and e-books.

Try to know more about Digital Services selling online such as e-books, training courses, online training etc.

Happy to answer in detail if you have more doubts regarding e-commerce [Digital Services]

Old 08-11-2017, 12:41 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Both are working well. But products are more in demand as well as range of products are more wider than services. So, There are many big domestic and international brands in online product selling for example, Amazon, Alibaba, flipkart, Snapdeal and many more. But in case of services, there is not so much competition. It's easy to bring website on top in SERP. But Services range is limited against products.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas1596 View Post
Product selling in e-commerce would naturally require more monetary resources than service selling
Have you checked the adwords cpc rates for banking and insurance? They're so high you could buy the entire product within those rates.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

There is no competition between products and services as both are different niche. If you are asking this question, you must be concerned with a single aspect only and in case you own either of them, if you are providing quality to user, it is obviously going to be successful.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Latest Blog:
None

e-commerce Is Product as well as Service

e-commerce Is both Product as well as Service that is depends on your Business you provides

Old 08-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Mathews View Post
I believe product based companies have higher success ratio as compared to service based companies.
Belief isn't good enough here. Please give justifications and/or references.

Old 09-04-2017, 06:50 AM

yes i agree but there are lots of issues in it

Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 AM

today competition market both service and product need to be good. especially product decide the best e-commerce in nowadays.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I honestly feel there is not an exact 50/50 but true in the fact it can go either way for both physical products and digital service. I have grossed the most money with physical goods so far, that is not to say I find the most success ive had to be in that particular niche.

I started as a drop shipper and put my all into my first website, however my SEO knowledge wasn't going to progress had I not branched out. 20 hours and about a year into my teachings I damn near busted my bankroll. Then by some miracle in the process of a hail marry in 100s of different directions I think I found what is to be at least my gold

Adult affiliate marketing! Just pick a niche specific one, you can use a tumblr ffs and once you get the ball rolling the traffic just builds itself. I woke up to like 450 bucks letting a free tk domain sit for cpl months once I stocked it with about 100 videos optimized and niche specific

But physical goods can be just as effective with affiliate marketing. Amazon's affiliate program gives you pretty much every damn piece of merchandise in your arsenal, so its all about finding the need and swooping in and dropping the product pitch.

Old 09-21-2017, 05:42 AM

online services

Hey!

I think that online platform is a great way to go to make huge business and earn profit. It is therefore very obvious that online services are the best way to expand the business.

Thanks

Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM

There really is no difference in terms of which channel type fails faster: either your potential customer likes your product or service offering or they don't. However, I've always preferred online service type businesses simply because it's a much lower risk in terms of upfront investment: not having to stock inventory, etc., as well as a much easier business to manage.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by igzy View Post
The e-commerce space is very competitive. We hear about a lot of companies growing fast and falling equally fast around the world. Specially the ones selling products.
However, I feel that the companies selling services online or online marketplaces for services might perform better than the ones selling products. Or are they already doing better?

What's your take on this?
Hi Dear,
The competition is everywhere, and it is increasing by the day. What one needs to add to the discussion herre, is, what is the business model ?, and how much time and money is to be invested in the project, or business, when you start it. All your marketing strategies, and actions, will come out of first assessing these 2 aspects.

Also, you are right from the fact that the product distribution costs are high. Currently they hover around 18 % to 29 % of the total cost, for any productthat you may need to ship. This is definately a major detterant for smaller players to suceed.

If the whole discussion is about a small or medium entrepreneur, to earn money with small investments, the service or software route is much better. One does not have to ship anything, except for the service, and hence, one can differentiate by the mode of service offered, and can start earning, then scale up.

Hope this answers your question.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum

Closed Thread