Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum > Online Payment Processing

Online Payment Processing Discussions concerning topics related to payment processing, such as merchant accounts, gateways, credit card processing options, PayPal, Google Checkout, 2Checkout, etc.

Share |
Old 03-19-2010, 05:48 PM

How Do I Accept PayPal Payment?

I have never been paid through a paypal account before, please could someone guide me through it.

It isn't on this forum, however someone has asked me for my paypal account details, and I don't know what to give him.

One thing I don't want to do is to get stung, so please could someone help me.

Thank you so much.

Tanya

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 05:54 PM
No Longer Active

The first thing you will need to do is set up a PayPal account. Before you do that though, it will help if you decide what type of PayPal account you need. Do you sell things on your website? Is PayPal an option that you plan to use often? These are things that will help you decide if you just need a personal account, or if you should choose a business account.

If you already have a PayPal account, the buyer will just need the email address that you used for your PayPal account.

Old 03-19-2010, 05:59 PM

I do have a paypal account which I am hoping to use get paid for a couple of articles I have done and I want to be able to keep that route open for future payments if needed. Just need to know how to do it safely if possible.

Tanya

Old 03-19-2010, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

As Cricket said, the only thing the buyer needs is the email address you have on file with PayPal. Never give anyone anything else and do keep in mind that other than payments sent and received PayPal does not send out emails.

So always be on the watch for scammers. Never click on what looks like a link to PP.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyapetrena View Post
Just need to know how to do it safely if possible.
You have to use the email associated with the account and your password to log into the account. Just keep the password safe and you will have no problem. Even change it every once in a while to be extra cautious.

Depending on what type of account you have, there is a function to issue an invoice (either plain Jane or detailed). You need the person who you wish to invoice's email address. So if this is available to you:
  1. Log into your account.
  2. In the top bar there is a tab called Create an invoice, click it.
  3. Once you are in the invoicing screen you have the choice of Request Money or at the top under the main tabbed menu there is Create a detailed invoice.
  4. Fill out the request/invoice and the person's email address.
  5. Send them the invoice.

The recipient has the choice to pay the invoice via credit card, cheque or from their PayPal account. You will get an email from PayPal that the person has sent you money when they pay the bill.

If paid by credit card, PayPal processes the card for you.

If paid by cheque, PayPal will let you know this and advise against releasing the merchandise before they email you again that it has cleared. 4-7 business days.

If paid by their PayPal account the money is transfered to your account right away.

As far as getting stung goes, if you are wary of the person then just don't do business with them in the first place would be my #1 choice. You could also request a non refundable deposit (make sure non refundable is clear) before work is started so you don't loose a big bunch of money on a large job.

The only other way you might get stung is if you assumed everything went well with the transaction, were paid in full and then they lodge a complaint with PayPal. So maybe keep a small balance in your account or wait a bit to withdraw the money.

Information at PayPal.com (not sure if there are differences in UK)
How We Help Protect Sellers
Resolving Issues for Sellers

Old 03-20-2010, 02:20 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time out to give me some sound advice, I really do appreciate you kindness to a newbie.

Tanya.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:06 AM
Banned

Regarding Secure Payment.
1. Always hold money fro at least 48 hours if your buyer PayPal is Unverified.
2. Always keep Records for delivering your product or service, so in case if your buyer opens a dispute then you can easily win the dispute.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 PM

Wow that was a really impressive tutorial by HTMLBasicTutor's!

I would only add that whether using Paypal or not there is always a risk of losing some money to dishonest people, however, if you keep an orderly record of every transaction and service you deliver you should be fine working with Paypal or any other payment processor.

Do not let the fear of getting stung hold you back, just take every precaution and you will likely keep incidents at zero or near zero.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum > Online Payment Processing