Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum > Online Payment Processing

Online Payment Processing Discussions concerning topics related to payment processing, such as merchant accounts, gateways, credit card processing options, PayPal, Google Checkout, 2Checkout, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Administrator

PayPal Alternatives for Online Business

I have never had a problem using PayPal as my payment processor as far as accepting payments via an invoice sent from their interface, paying people or withdrawing money but maybe you have or do not want to put all your payment processing ducks in one basket.

The only problem I have had with PayPal is sending some people to PayPal from an ecommerce site and for some reason they have problems entering their payment information (usually credit card). When I send them an invoice from PayPal they can pay it fine. Go figure...

Not too happy with the new interface but can manage to get around.
Quote:
...PayPal is dominant for a reason — it has been around the longest, it’s spent millions enhancing its brand, and it provides all the standard functions you’d expect. However, that doesn’t always make it the best choice. Here’s why:

-Not all clients can make PayPal payments. Some of your clients simply can’t, or won’t, use PayPal. They might not be in an area that PayPal accepts payments from, or their accounting systems don’t support PayPal. Perhaps they’ve had a bad experience with the platform, or want an easier way to pay.

-You don’t want all your (online payment) eggs in one basket. PayPal is notorious for blocking accounts. That means you can’t receive payments or access your funds until they decide to unblock you. The lack of cashflow could leave you vulnerable, so alternative payment options are essential.

-PayPal is best for smaller amounts. The fees you pay for PayPal can really add up, especially on larger transactions. Other payment providers may charge lower fees, so you keep costs down (and that means greater profits).

-PayPal’s international fees are really (really) high. If you dig into PayPal’s fees, you’ll see they charge a big premium for accepting international payments. Combine this with less than ideal exchange rates, and you’ll pay a hefty overhead for any international business.
8 PayPal Alternatives for Your Online Business
Jan 18/17

Which of the PayPal alternatives have you personally used? Give us some feed back on your experience with these.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2017, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

I've looked at a few over the years, and a couple of them are in the article. For me, up to this point, I've not really had a serious need for a payment solution. Now though, I'm getting more and more annoyed with slow payers.

I thought of adding additional fees for lateness, but it's really nickel-n-dime-ing, at least to me. And I've had discussions with clients who have ditched certain suppliers over as little as a $20 "extra fee" for whatever reason - and more.

Of course, since "way back", I looked at PayPal (hasn't everyone? ). More recently though, I've looked at Shopify as a possible solution too. However, I'm now going to take a closer look at Chase. From what I've heard, it's really easy to set up and costs are reasonable, no long term commitment, no financials needed etc. We'll see.

Last edited by LMD; 01-22-2017 at 01:48 PM.

Old 01-22-2017, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Recently I have had a client that is savvy to know they can email me my payment and I can deposit it in my bank account if I have online access.

Previously, another client dealt with the same brand of bank and with my bank account info they could transfer the money.

Neither of these solutions are suitable for an ecommerce site though plus I'd be very cautious about these arrangements for someone you don't know.

I'm also confused why business owners hate PayPal citing it costs too much. The credit cards charge you a fee per transaction and if you are using certain ecommerce set ups there is a transaction fee on top of that plus.... what ever your bank charges.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Recently I have had a client that is savvy to know they can email me my payment and I can deposit it in my bank account if I have online access.
Several of my clients pay me this way. I like it.

Quote:
I'm also confused why business owners hate PayPal citing it costs too much. The credit cards charge you a fee per transaction and if you are using certain ecommerce set ups there is a transaction fee on top of that plus.... what ever your bank charges.
Maybe it's the stories we hear about them holding accounts for what seems like for no good reason at all - at least that's the one side of it we hear.

That said, I think people of all levels of internet experience/history hear these stories and feel uncomfortable using PayPal for a transactional site and also to purchase from a site using PP?

Old 01-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

As an eBay power seller I obviously use Paypal and don't have an issue with them at all. I've used them since 2006.

Personally i don't think our (business owners) view on the payment solution providers is that important. It's what customers are happy with (i'm talking of retail customers here) and I know from my own research (focus groups, feedback forms etc) that customers see paypal as the safest option. I currently have two shopify sites and one doesn't actively promote paypal, with buttons etc overtly apparent above the fold, and guess which one has FAR lower sales where all else is the same? The site without Paypal.

Sagepay and Worldpay are options that certain sites are trying in the UK market, but they don't have the publics trust yet.

Paypal working capital is a good new addition that has taken off big style in the UK too.

Old 02-15-2017, 05:41 AM

I think it depends a bit on your business model. PayPal is a pretty cool payment option, used by millions, but it is not known everywhere. If you want to go global you should check to see if PayPal is in the countries where you want to focus.

But there are also other options like payment gateways which have plenty of payment methods already integrated (including PayPal) such as Worldpay, G2A PAY or Adyen. Worth checking out.

Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 PM

Thumbs down Instamojo

I am based in India and I have been using Instamojo as my online payment processor. It works better than a payment gateway - sort of like an alternative to Paypal.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:23 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think the best payment gateway is stripe by far.

And i am using serveral, like paypal and others.

I have to say that many people fell safer using paypal which i guess is very good.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:26 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Some would prefer Payoneer (I never used it so far, might get one in the future if necessary) only got PayPal for now. At this point PayPal has more merchants and services that accepts it as form of payment.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you are not having debt card. Use exchanger service. Most of the people try to withdraw with exchange site if not having any card. The exchanger tries to charge some fee and work with you.
also Use skill account that formally alternative.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
I have never had a problem using PayPal as my payment processor as far as accepting payments via an invoice sent from their interface, paying people or withdrawing money but maybe you have or do not want to put all your payment processing ducks in one basket.

The only problem I have had with PayPal is sending some people to PayPal from an ecommerce site and for some reason they have problems entering their payment information (usually credit card). When I send them an invoice from PayPal they can pay it fine. Go figure...

Not too happy with the new interface but can manage to get around.

Jan 18/17

Which of the PayPal alternatives have you personally used? Give us some feed back on your experience with these.

Very good question, many people start use Strip, they easy to start with fast friendly support and good antifraud system.

Also I give my vote for Skrill. but only for EU

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Online Business Forum > Online Payment Processing