Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum > Photography Challenges

Photography Challenges Themed digital photography challenges to push yourself past your comfort zone and inspire you to keep improving your skills. You don't need to be a great photographer to join in the fun. You just need to love taking pictures.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #141  
Old 04-24-2011, 05:12 PM
Margaret Cherre's Avatar
Margaret Cherre Margaret Cherre is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 10-07-09
Location: Friendship, NY
Posts: 115
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by J from Michigan View Post
I found this in my basement... no idea where it came from.
Looks kinda cool.
VERY cool! Brass? How long have you been in this house that this piece/peace surprised you?
 

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #142  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:26 AM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Cherre View Post
This is spectacular shot! Please provide a bit of info on how you captured it.
Unfortunately, I have a "standard camera" so there are limited functions I can tweak but here is what I did:
- set the focus on macro, and on centered point. (instead of landscape focus and regular weight that comes by default), I changed the exposure to -2 instead of 0 (otherwise it was too bright with the sun in the back), turned the settings to "Day Light", colours to "vivid"...and I think that's about it.

Then I pressed the button to make the water splash with one hand and took the picture with the other one.

I can't wait to get a more fancy camera. The zoom option is what I lack the most. Sometimes, I see shots that would be cool (animals in nature for example, couple holding hands walking by the pond with the sun in the back) but I have to get too close to animals/people and it scares/freaks them out.

I also wish my lens would capture a wider angle...sometimes what I see is beautiful but I can't get it all in the picture.

Any recommendations by the way? (sorry to get off topic...should I start a new thread for this?)
 
  #143  
Old 04-25-2011, 09:43 AM
Margaret Cherre's Avatar
Margaret Cherre Margaret Cherre is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 10-07-09
Location: Friendship, NY
Posts: 115
iTrader: 0 / 0%
My camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
Any recommendations by the way?
All I can tell you is what I have, a Canon PowerShot A720. It's actually my second Canon PowerShot. Quite affordable for a digital that allows you to control almost everything, if you take the time to read the book and/or figure out how. It can easily function as a point & shoot, can macro, change shutter speed, change focus, short videos, etc. No wide angle. I think you could buy a wide angle lens, and this camera would allow you to change lenses, but it's not my cup of tea. You can 'stitch' pictures together - they have a function for this.

But everyone has their own camera recommendations.
 
  #144  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
Unfortunately, I have a "standard camera" so there are limited functions I can tweak but here is what I did:
- set the focus on macro, and on centered point. (instead of landscape focus and regular weight that comes by default), I changed the exposure to -2 instead of 0 (otherwise it was too bright with the sun in the back), turned the settings to "Day Light", colours to "vivid"...and I think that's about it.

Then I pressed the button to make the water splash with one hand and took the picture with the other one.

I can't wait to get a more fancy camera. The zoom option is what I lack the most. Sometimes, I see shots that would be cool (animals in nature for example, couple holding hands walking by the pond with the sun in the back) but I have to get too close to animals/people and it scares/freaks them out.

I also wish my lens would capture a wider angle...sometimes what I see is beautiful but I can't get it all in the picture.

Any recommendations by the way? (sorry to get off topic...should I start a new thread for this?)
This thread might interest you.
http://www.v7n.com/forums/digital-ph...n-go-away.html
 
  #145  
Old 04-25-2011, 10:52 AM
anonymously anonymously is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 02-14-08
Location: UK
Posts: 1,493
iTrader: 0 / 0%
First is another shot for LIGHT, that dark lump of fur brings a ray of sunshine into our house for sure

Second is for DARK and is a shot of him asleep in the cellar which has no windows and no artificial light. I took this hand held with no flash!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2267_1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	14274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268_1.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	14275  
 
  #146  
Old 04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Cherre View Post
All I can tell you is what I have, a Canon PowerShot A720. It's actually my second Canon PowerShot. Quite affordable for a digital that allows you to control almost everything, if you take the time to read the book and/or figure out how. It can easily function as a point & shoot, can macro, change shutter speed, change focus, short videos, etc. No wide angle. I think you could buy a wide angle lens, and this camera would allow you to change lenses, but it's not my cup of tea. You can 'stitch' pictures together - they have a function for this.

But everyone has their own camera recommendations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Thank you - I continued that conversation on that thread.

back to topic on this one now!
I took a few shots this weekend - I'll see how they turned out.
 
  #147  
Old 04-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Make sure y'all check out the next challenge! I am so excited about it!
http://www.v7n.com/forums/photograph...challenge.html
 
  #148  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
alright, here is my entry for # communication

The Howl of the Wolf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	communication.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	14283  
 
  #149  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:48 AM
Margaret Cherre's Avatar
Margaret Cherre Margaret Cherre is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 10-07-09
Location: Friendship, NY
Posts: 115
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Dark

I finally got my DARK photo. You might want to go to my blog to see it larger, and learn a bit more about the shot.

4 more entries to go....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dark-moon2.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	14290  
 
  #150  
Old 04-26-2011, 02:53 AM
Margaret Cherre's Avatar
Margaret Cherre Margaret Cherre is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 10-07-09
Location: Friendship, NY
Posts: 115
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
First is another shot for LIGHT, that dark lump of fur brings a ray of sunshine into our house for sure
Quite the pose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymously View Post
Second is for DARK and is a shot of him asleep in the cellar which has no windows and no artificial light. I took this hand held with no flash!
I admit it - you had me going with this one!
 
  #151  
Old 04-26-2011, 03:06 PM
RedScooter's Avatar
RedScooter RedScooter is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 12-19-08
Location: Texas
Posts: 248
iTrader: 0 / 0%
#2 Eye - I know the quality is not great, but it's the thought that counts, right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5659000936_d0c8191451_b.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	14294  
 
  #152  
Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Margaret Cherre's Avatar
Margaret Cherre Margaret Cherre is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 10-07-09
Location: Friendship, NY
Posts: 115
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedScooter View Post
#2 Eye - I know the quality is not great, but it's the thought that counts, right?
Nice interpretation!
 
  #153  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
J from Michigan's Avatar
J from Michigan J from Michigan is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 521
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Cherre View Post
VERY cool! Brass? How long have you been in this house that this piece/peace surprised you?
It was in an old box of record/albums/LP's... I think it was my moms.
(she was a hippie in her youth)
 
  #154  
Old 04-26-2011, 05:40 PM
J from Michigan's Avatar
J from Michigan J from Michigan is offline
v7n Mentor
 
Join Date: 10-24-10
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 521
iTrader: 1 / 100%
10 Animals

I know this is a really bad pic. I hope to make up for it tonight (in search of #5 Dark) as my telescope is finally cleaned and reassembled.

These are two baby Groundhogs, that I've been trying to photograph for about a week.
The one on the right is very gray, and the left, brown. Cute!

The usually run at the sight of me, but I snuck up on them today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	#10 Animals.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	14295  
 
  #155  
Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Oh they are sooooooo cute! I wanna play too!
 
  #156  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:45 PM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
here is my entry for #weather - it was a double rainbow, right at the same time of the first goal from the Canucks vs. Chicago last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weather.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	827.8 KB
ID:	14304  

Last edited by juliensimon; 04-27-2011 at 02:12 PM.
 
  #157  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Cricket's Avatar
Cricket Cricket is offline
No Longer Active
 
Join Date: 10-13-03
Location: Texas
Posts: 42,181
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliensimon View Post
here is my entry for #weather - it was a double rainbow, right at the same time of the first goal from the Canucks vs. Chicago last night.
WOW! I would sooooo love to photograph one of those. Great job!
 
  #158  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
if I had a wide lens, it would have been a better picture. It was almost full on....the second looks quite dark - it looked brighter in real too...oh well. It was a sign for the victory of the canucks
 
  #159  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:11 PM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
this isn't the best picture. It's not very crisp but I was holding the camera on a railing with long exposure....It's my entry for #Joy.

It might not show in the picture but this pic of "Rogers Arena" was taken a few minutes after Alex Burrows' goal in the sudden death. People were screaming, waving flags everywhere....cars were honking, horns were blasting, fireworks were exploding...it was a gongshow!

There was so much joy in that stadium last night...it was insane.

anyway, you can't see the joy in the picture...but if you were there, you would understand.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	joy.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	14305  
 
  #160  
Old 04-27-2011, 02:14 PM
juliensimon's Avatar
juliensimon juliensimon is offline
SEO Fanatic
 
Join Date: 08-29-08
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,388
iTrader: 1 / 100%
I'm missing life, pride, bread, random, service and peace.
I'm hoping to get a shot at piece tonight. perhaps random too.

a few days left to complete this challenge....better get to it!!
 
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Digital Photography Forum > Photography Challenges

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Possible Photo Scavenger Hunt? Cricket Digital Photography Forum 38 02-22-2011 09:38 AM
Twitter Treasure Hunt! Tanya Forum Lobby 28 05-01-2010 11:23 AM
Escalating tensions over hunt for oil and gas in the Arctic Franc Tireur Controversial Social Issues 7 11-03-2009 03:24 AM
Canada's annual seal hunt KeithCash Controversial Social Issues 29 10-16-2007 11:00 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:12 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC