Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Webmaster Revenue (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   which members of this site earn a living from the internet? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316016)

Archer2012 09-01-2012 10:50 PM

which members of this site earn a living from the internet?

I would like to know which members here earn a living from the internet in some way or another. Whether it be building websites for people , or from ad revenue from your blog , or making banners for people , whatever.

After reading some of the posts , and sub-forums here , I'm starting to see that there are a lot of different ways to make money , more than I was aware there was even a niche for.

I'm just curious as to how people got started, and at what point you realized you could do it full time. Did you create a blog or post a youtube video and realize you could monetize it, or did you go to school for a specific thing , etc. , tell me your story of your path to success.

You can leave out any Cindy Margolis type stories , having big boobs and marketing them is probably not going to be an option for me, lol.

Dreamrage 09-02-2012 05:25 AM

I am a freelancer. I started off writing and then worked my way into the position I have now. Everything I do is online. After working online for a company in the UK, I had a look around the net, and found that there was a lot I could do to earn a living, and research showed that there are places I could register and from there people will hire me to work for them. I registered and haven't looked back. :)

ThePoint 09-05-2012 04:24 AM

To make it full time first you need to treat it like a hobby. Very good strategy is to start from blog and rebuild it to website and then add shop there. From my point of view it's good to combine freelance with personal projects.

Archer2012 09-10-2012 07:42 PM

well, its definitely going to be a hobby for now, I haven't made squat yet, lol.

One day hopefully , though , I'll be able to sit on a beach somewhere , build my sites and make enough money to pay my bills.8)

masm50 09-13-2012 01:16 PM

I'd struggle to be able to do it all from a beach, as real-world meetings are still very important, but yeah - I make a living off my various sites...

I went to school, then law school, then decided I wanted to make a stab of turning my various sites into a living - the first site that I still run I built when I was 14 and was getting about 100K impressions/mo back then... I'm now 27. The sites in my sig are not my company - they are just hobbies still :)

chad1988 09-13-2012 05:30 PM

I'm not making a living off of any of my sites yet. But I know I soon will. You just have to stick with it.

Chad

rahulbangar 09-15-2012 09:49 AM

I am earning money from Internet by selling my SEO services. I rank websites :)

mi21 09-18-2012 10:16 PM

I make all of my money from the internet -- the vast majority is from designing and building websites for others. A small sliver is from ad revenue from a couple of personal website projects. My goal is to derive a greater percentage of my revenue from my own websites over the long-term, but it's a slow process. I have lots of ideas for websites and can generally build them -- I'm just not so good in getting them out there and used by others. Hopefully I'll get that figured out one of these days!

spikeman 10-31-2012 06:11 AM

I earn a living online doing seo and website development. There are allot of people that need websites and even more that needs quality traffic.

densho 11-20-2012 10:05 AM

I'm curently working on some gaming related websites and I'm planing to make a living out of it in future. I don't earn that much now - somewhere a little bit over the minimum wage, but I'm struggling to get in front on Google search results for increasing my traffic.

mugwande 11-20-2012 11:40 AM

Eaning a living on internet is not so easy but I know many friends of mine who earnes a living too from internet

dmvictoria 11-20-2012 12:26 PM

I make about half my income from the net. I started off with travel sites and then built niche directories off them, among other endeavors.

The one thing I do notice as the money comes in is that it takes the shape of a plateau graph. For long stretches of time I seem to make the same amount of money month by month and then it jumps every year or so quite noticeably. Even though I'm constantly building I wish there would be more of a correlation between amount of work I put in and the income I get out. Wow, really have to be patient in this business.

bill-love 12-07-2012 12:20 PM

I make probably 90+% of my income from the internet. I do a lot of writing, as well as selling various goods through a number of different online stores. I first started making money on the internet back in 2006. When I first started, I remember thinking that $200/month was fantastic. Now my standards a much higher :)

AmazingPlaces 12-17-2012 03:09 PM

i make less than 10% of my total income from the web, still lots of fun though

freeadstime 12-17-2012 06:37 PM

There are only about 50 000 people in the world that make money out of their websites. Of course top percentage of these 50 k people are billionaires and the bottom percentage can make a good living from the internet. In a sense, becoming a lawyer or doctor is a lot easier than becoming a successful website owner.

xoox 12-18-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

To make it full time first you need to treat it like a hobby
I would disagree. A lot of people do the mistake of treating their website as a hobby. So what happens to your hobby when you are busy with your day job or have children to take care of? It takes a backseat, right? A website cannot be left unto itself for long. You have to dedicatedly put in at least a couple of hours every day - like it's an extension of your day job to see success over a period of time.

AmazingPlaces 12-18-2012 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xoox (Post 1960404)
I would disagree. A lot of people do the mistake of treating their website as a hobby. So what happens to your hobby when you are busy with your day job or have children to take care of? It takes a backseat, right? A website cannot be left unto itself for long. You have to dedicatedly put in at least a couple of hours every day - like it's an extension of your day job to see success over a period of time.

I think both of you are right to some extant.. you a should look at a website as a hobby, meaning loving it and enjoying working on it yet - one must put in a couple of hours every day, and dedicate time for it even when there is not much around.

rankontop 12-20-2012 06:02 PM

I got in by accident,
I built a cool links website and sold it for a grip and & took a half of a year off then started working for a colleague.
Then I designed a website for a local pumpkin patch, lol.
& my friend of mine said, with all that knowledge why are you working a real job, I said its consistent money. He said you really should go for it. that was in 2k3.
So I put up a online marketing website, pimped it out, outranked all the major players in 3months and haven't looked back.
The only thing I regret is not being to handle everything on my own as I never outsourced & now because of how much the web design, online marketing, mobile websites, text to call and lists & social media has grown so competitive, you almost need a dedicated team to start out for success.

wwhuang 01-01-2013 08:48 AM

Is your living fully depending on your online business?

I have to admit that I'm still part-time although my average daily income already reached $300. Since I'm getting a decent pay from my daytime job, I plan to start devoting as full-time when it reaches $500/day.

While seeing lots of enthusiastic experts in this forum, I'd like to know how many of you are doing your online business full-time.

Thanks,
Kevin

snakeair 01-01-2013 09:10 AM

*merged similiar thread*