Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Management (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85)
-   -   Help Me out in starting a Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371444)

harwee 08-11-2014 02:08 AM

Help Me out in starting a Forum

Can anyone help me out in starting a new forum which I created yesterday. I am new in this field

mrbillmarks 08-11-2014 02:50 AM

Here is a useful article about how to Start a Forum
http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Forum

shindesharad71 08-11-2014 05:30 AM

Use vBuletien Forum script for your forum it will best for you.
For its Document search on google.

snakeair 08-11-2014 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwee (Post 2135876)
Can anyone help me out in starting a new forum which I created yesterday. I am new in this field

What exactly do you need help with? Do you know anything about running a forum and putting security measures in place to help fight spam?

How will you earn revenue from your forum? Eventually you will need a VPS or a dedicated server as the forum grows. It would be nice if you tell us what you need help with.

shindesharad71 08-11-2014 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeair (Post 2135953)
What exactly do you need help with? Do you know anything about running a forum and putting security measures in place to help fight spam?

How will you earn revenue from your forum? Eventually you will need a VPS or a dedicated server as the forum grows. It would be nice if you tell us what you need help with.

can we use Shared Hosting for forum...??

snakeair 08-11-2014 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shindesharad71 (Post 2135954)

You can but eventually your web host will suggest you move to a VPS or a dedicated server as the forum grows huge. When I owned a forum in 2007, I had it on shared web hosting for a year as I was still working on getting more traffic but I sold it after a year. lol

Whatever forum software that you use, make sure the requirements work well with the features that you get on shared web hosting so you won't have any slowness or errors popping up. Remember any downtime could scare off loyal members. Of course you could send a mass email saying the forum is back online after any downtime. :P

shindesharad71 08-11-2014 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeair (Post 2135955)
You can but eventually your web host will suggest you move to a VPS or a dedicated server as the forum grows huge. When I owned a forum in 2007, I had it on shared web hosting for a year as I was still working on getting more traffic but I sold it after a year. lol

Whatever forum software that you use, make sure the requirements work well with the features that you get on shared web hosting so you won't have any slowness or errors popping up. Remember any downtime could scare off loyal members. Of course you could send a mass email saying the forum is back online after any downtime. :P

thanks for this information.
Now i am skipping my task of forum :p

Needs VPS so lots of investment needed which i don't have......

snakeair 08-11-2014 05:48 AM

Check out this forum hosting service and there plans. https://www.forums.net/

There sister site, I used to be a global moderator on there support forum helping out on there. I use the same username but no longer helping there. Let's wait for the thread creator to reply again.

We forgot about the thread creators question. lol

proboards.com is the free version but the forum software is excellent.

harwee 08-11-2014 06:01 AM

Actually I already setup forum with phpbb3 and it's up now but the problem is how to get people to write in that forum.

shindesharad71 08-11-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwee (Post 2135964)
Actually I already setup forum with phpbb3 and it's up now but the problem is how to get people to write in that forum.

Oh!! Then you have to promote more and more.....
Promote your forum in other forums.....
Use Paid advertising
contact forum owners ask them to advertise your forum.....
Promote on Social Network site

harwee 08-11-2014 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shindesharad71 (Post 2135965)
Oh!! Then you have to promote more and more.....
Promote your forum in other forums.....
Use Paid advertising
contact forum owners ask them to advertise your forum.....
Promote on Social Network site

But I have searched Internet and found that people leave forum and will never come back if it's empty

shindesharad71 08-11-2014 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwee (Post 2135966)
But I have searched Internet and found that people leave forum and will never come back if it's empty

then wait for reply of our Modrator snakeair Sir......
They have lots of experince of forum.......

harwee 08-11-2014 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shindesharad71 (Post 2135968)
then wait for reply of our Modrator snakeair Sir......
They have lots of experince of forum.......

Ok I will wait thanks

Do People give points and pay to writers by exchanging those points for money ?

Katt 08-11-2014 06:51 AM

I've run a few forums and recently started a new one - it's harder than it used to be. I posted some tips in another thread, here :
http://www.v7n.com/forums/forum-mana...ml#post2088850

drastic 08-16-2014 10:18 PM

lol @ the guy who said use vbulletin - sure, if it's the old version. vb 4 and 5 are garbage.

bestkeylogger 10-05-2014 11:32 PM

For good initiative you have to take help of online tutorials which are available. Like you can go through articles and by asking questions in question/answer sites. Different things and ideas will be available through these mediums.

snakeair 10-06-2014 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestkeylogger (Post 2147105)
For good initiative you have to take help of online tutorials which are available. Like you can go through articles and by asking questions in question/answer sites. Different things and ideas will be available through these mediums.

How does this relate to the opening post? Couldn't the thread creator get help in how to create/run a forum by asking questions on a forum?

assured 10-22-2014 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shindesharad71 (Post 2135954)

I think 30-40 users online a shared hosting can handle but in a long term go with something more professional like vps.

Alex A. 10-23-2014 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assured (Post 2150340)
I think 30-40 users online a shared hosting can handle but in a long term go with something more professional like vps.

Don't take this number as is, it can really go up and down by quite a lot depending on your forum. For example, plugins, themes, the software itself etc will all be taken into account in terms of resource usage.

JonnyMP 11-24-2014 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harwee (Post 2135966)

The only people who will want to join a dead forum are the ones only interested in link spamming.

A real forum user will want to join an active and vibrant forum community. So, it's true that a person visiting a forum will leave quickly if they see no new posts on a forum.

For this reason, it's very important to keep forum posting activity up, whether by creating new posts yourself (as admin or owner of the site) or hiring someone to make those posts. You could always ask your friends to post there occasionally but keep in mind that type of favor is very short lived.

You will want to get members joining your community that actually care to stick around and contribute new posts daily. These people will become the backbone of your community and ensure it's long life.