Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Internet Legal Issues (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   If I copy a blog post will I get shut down? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206159)

orange peel 08-20-2010 01:05 PM

If I copy a blog post will I get shut down?

If I copy a post word for word along with the pictures on my blog, can the other blog shut me down? The other blog is not like a big corporation or anything just another guy with a smalltime blog.

HTMLBasicTutor 08-20-2010 01:12 PM

Simple answer: Yes

Me thinks you need to review the information in our Copyright Resources section. ;)

The original site owner can get you shut down for copyright infringement (without a lawyer) if they do the paper work right. Or at least get the copyrighted material removed.

orange peel 08-20-2010 01:13 PM

What if the owners are young in age and will probably only contact my web provider?

devonshire 08-20-2010 01:25 PM

What you are proposing to do is not only copyright infringment, but is also unethicle. What if you were that person, and they stole your blog posts, what would you do?

orange peel 08-20-2010 01:37 PM

What if I said 'this is from this website' at the beginning of the post but did not hyperlink the website?

HTMLBasicTutor 08-20-2010 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange peel (Post 1466478)
What if the owners are young in age and will probably only contact my web provider?

Quote:

Use of our services to infringe upon any copyright or trademark is prohibited. This includes but is not limited to unauthorized copying of music, books, photographs, or any other copyrighted work.
That took me less than a minute to find. ;) Sound familiar? It should.

orange peel 08-20-2010 04:56 PM

What if I said 'this is from this website' at the beginning of the post but did not hyperlink the website?

TheRACK 08-20-2010 05:14 PM

Its more simple just to ask permission ^_- everyone should want to network depending if it worksout for everyone.

PS: Its abit hard to prove ownership of article postings, simply casue any joe can say "I wrote this" it would take some work if they where to shut you down but in the end just ask permission, people who write articles free want them to be exposed and just want credit, so get ahold of the site or orginal author and ask. Easy as that

Cheers & goodluck~

Hyphen 08-27-2010 05:39 AM

It's unlikely but it's also not recommended. Unique contest is best anyway.

carol.prime 09-01-2010 12:46 PM

got to agree with the TheRACK on this one. It's just a matter of asking permission which is really not that hard to do.

clorets01 09-01-2010 12:55 PM

Its this kind of behavior that makes the web suck. Dont do it.

nicolebeckett 09-01-2010 01:35 PM

This is something that really grinds my gears, so to speak. Contact the blog post owner and see if you can republish it (with all of the links intact, of course). Don't be "that guy" who goes around stealing content. It's unethical, it's unprofessional, and it's a great way to ruin your online career.

DocSheldon 09-01-2010 06:55 PM

To put it very simple, using someone else's copyrighted work is THEFT. Legally and morally.

I would strongly suggest that you try contacting them, and get permission. And even then, the only decent thing to do is to give them full credit, saying you've "republished this work, originally written by Joe Smith, of http://joesblog.com, with permission"
Then, you DO give him a link.

A good way to gauge what is right, is what would you feel if it was done to you? Most folks don't appreciate having something stolen from them. And most folks don't go out of their way to build a reputation based upon thievery. ;)

suraj78 09-04-2010 11:25 PM

As other experts said above, its totally illegal as well as not good for you also bcos you will not be going to popular with copied content. Blogging is all about co-operating with each others, if you really like the post just post some lines of the post (3to 4) and then tell your readers to read full story on original blog bcos sharing good content with readers will always liked by your readers.

mimo91 09-05-2010 12:51 AM

just see the copyright and contact him for permission

MayaLocke 09-12-2010 01:29 PM

Why would you want to copy content rather than creating unique content.

Why not comment on the post and link to it rather than duplicating it.

TheRACK 09-12-2010 02:41 PM

Carol & Nikki are righton :)

Ask for permission. & if you don't get a response at all or that you like and feel like its "STILL RELATED MATERIAL" for your target audience that you want them to be informed about, feel free to post it BUT GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DO.

All us writters want are published works to be read, but we want are credit. If you give the credit & don't modify or make claims to the article then I dont know many Writters who would be unhappy with you, and atleast at that point maybe that will get intouch with you and ask for you to post more of there great writtings.

The worse that can happen is someone can Simply say No. Or be asked to remove it.
Till than if it helps inform your viewers then its not a bad thing, just give credit to who deserves it. Everyone is happy :)

Jo W 09-14-2010 04:31 PM

'Copying' someone else's work in this way is STEALING. Rather than looking for ways to 'get away' with such theft, it would ultimately be far more rewarding to study the area you wish to 'blog' about, and to then write your own informed, original work! At the very least, the creator/ owner/author of the work should be given the basic courtesy of being acknowledged for their work with a viable link to their site. It takes work and enthusiasm to produce the work, and it is ethically, as well as 'nice', to recognise this. Giving credit to the author shows them that you value their work, and thanks them for the right/ability to use it. Do you want to risk your site being banned, when producing your own work is far more rewarding?

JakeMoore 09-19-2010 08:35 AM

It's depressing we are even having this discussion. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

joomlads07 09-28-2010 12:34 AM

Well, it would be a form of plagiarizing but if you give due credit and admit freely that you have taken this content from wherever you have taken it then maybe it would not hurt so much. Ask for permission if possible. Try writing it yourself, that is the most honest thing to do.