Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forum Lobby (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A Simple Lesson In Listening (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96408)

KristysKnots 08-12-2008 03:38 AM

A Simple Lesson In Listening

"Killing some time. Waiting for a concert. Going for a beer.

Pop into a new place. Lots of people. Lots of laughter.

Two seats at the bar. Take one, order a Pabst. Life is good. My life, at least, right now.

Guy takes the other seat. We nod at each other, the universal guys-who-are-too-cool-to-actually-say-"hello" greeting.

Time slides. No bartender.

"What does someone have to do to get a drink in this place?" the guy says with a tight grin.

"Well," I say, prying my lips from my bottle, "I could offer you a sip of my beer. But I have a head cold."

He smirks. "Nah," he says, "I don't like sharing beers with dudes. Besides, I hate Pabst."

Philistine. Anyway, he offers that he's from Bloomington. His group - three guys, three gals - have come to Peoria for the same rock show.

Finally, he gets the barkeep's attention: three frou-frou cocktails and three Bud Lights. "Wait," he says, "make it four Bud Lights." He winks at me. "I better order me an extra, what with the wait."

The bartender hands him a beer but needs time for the specialty drinks. So the guy starts talking.

In the next five minutes, I learn his entire life. Not happy...."

http://www.pjstar.com/news_columnist...n-in-listening

Now, I ask you: Do you actually listen? Or do you just hear?

Chris@Crane 08-12-2008 03:51 AM

interesting question, I think a lot of people 'just hear'

takes a certain kind of person to consciously listen to what people are saying!

Dina312 08-12-2008 05:40 AM

I listen if I pay attention to what people are saying but I only hear on what people say if i just nod but didn't understand what he/she said without even take time glance on the person.

webcosmo 08-12-2008 08:52 AM

Talk less listen more, thats the motto:D

D3n!ss3_gUrL 08-12-2008 10:22 AM

I do listen. Almost to all. :)

ewomack 08-12-2008 11:28 AM

If you can't repeat back what the person just said, you aren't listening.

D3n!ss3_gUrL 08-12-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ewomack (Post 916000)
If you can't repeat back what the person just said, you aren't listening.

you mean en-toto? You must be kidding? :roll:

At least you understood what she/he says, that will do.

KristysKnots 08-12-2008 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by webcosmo (Post 915948)
Talk less listen more, thats the motto:D

I like that

zeruel 08-12-2008 04:54 PM

I am a good listener... And not just hear you speak...

Very good lesson indeed... :)

earthbound soul 08-13-2008 12:46 AM

i love to listen, you will learn more from it.....

jedz 08-13-2008 02:15 PM

i just listen when im interested to the topic but if not, i just pretend that im listening.

jamaine12 08-13-2008 07:27 PM

Who of us don't want someone who listens when we speak?None right?Actually, it's a give and take relationship..If we speak we should also listen.:mrgreen:

earthbound soul 08-14-2008 08:12 PM

one of the best reason why a relationship is because both of you knows how to talk and listen with your partner...

lloyd.velarde@gmail. 08-15-2008 05:22 AM

they say that being a good speaker you must be a good listener first! but that's lesson really!

peterbndrs 08-15-2008 11:48 PM

i am a good listener as far as the topic is interesting if not thn i just hear it.

mvnzeb 08-16-2008 10:56 PM

i had not any problem in listening my boss when i was employed.

_christina_ 08-21-2008 12:55 PM

what cracks me up is this very first comment on the source page.. :D

"Uh, what the hell? You aren't Dr. Phil! You're Phil Luciano. You know, the smart-aXX, wise cracking, razor tongued writer we all like. Don't go all oprah on us now!"

KristysKnots 08-21-2008 01:10 PM

^^Yes was a funny comment.

The forth comment down sums it up nicely IMO
Quote:

Sounds like Phil has learned something about compassion and maturity, too bad the rest of you haven't gotten that far yet. It doesn't take anything much to listen, people usually don't expect answers. It's a effortless way to make the world a little friendlier and some one's life a little better. I've known cases where it might have saved a life.