Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Nikon or Canon? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255946)

wes davidson 06-14-2011 06:31 AM

Nikon or Canon?
 
Are you a Nikon or Canon shooter and why?

I'll start things off. I shoot Nikon. My first DSLR was a Nikon and I am heavily invested now as all the lenses I own are Nikon and not interchangeable with Canon. I think Nikon's controls are much more intuitive. The low amounts of noise with high ISO on the full frame Nikon DSLRs is nothing short of remarkable. I shoot with the Nikon D700, the lowest end full frame DSLR and I get useable files at 6400 ISO. This eliminates the need for flash in all but the darkest situations. This is invaluable for weddings. I will say that I would love to own a Canon 5D MK II as Canon does seem to trump Nikon on the HD video front.

sweetamber 06-14-2011 03:01 PM

My choise is Canon 5D with Canon lens 24-70 mm
In addition to excellent photographs, it's also filming in HD resolution

TxPam 06-14-2011 04:20 PM

There are some things Nikon excels at and some things that Canon excels at. I know Nikon users who say they would consider going Canon if they had it to do over again and Canon users who say they would consider going Nikon if they had it to do over again.
I think that both Canon and Nikon bank on the fact that once you invest a lot of money into brand specific lenses and equipment that you are most likely going to remain with their brand.

ScriptMan 06-14-2011 05:26 PM

I guess I can't vote since I use that secret brand called Pentax. They have never been good at marketing but they make some fine pricey glass.


.

wes davidson 06-15-2011 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScriptMan (Post 1683272)
I guess I can't vote since I use that secret brand called Pentax. They have never been good at marketing but they make some fine pricey glass.

Have you seen the Pentax 645D? It's a medium format DSLR for under $10k. I would love to test drive one of those! It has 40MP. The amount of detail you could capture for landscapes.... alright I'm salivating now. Medium format digital is going to keep dropping in price and one day mere mortals like me will be able to afford it.

markov 06-15-2011 09:47 AM

Starting from the day one, I'm with Canon.
I definitely recommend it for its user friendliness.
Of course, I've seen some Nikon camera too but still I prefer Canon.

wes davidson 06-15-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markov (Post 1683870)
Starting from the day one, I'm with Canon.
I definitely recommend it for its user friendliness.
Of course, I've seen some Nikon camera too but still I prefer Canon.

I've always felt that Nikon is more user friendly, mostly because I find the location of the buttons and dials to be more convenient and less awkward.

ScriptMan 06-16-2011 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes davidson (Post 1683741)
Have you seen the Pentax 645D? It's a medium format DSLR for under $10k. I would love to test drive one of those! It has 40MP. The amount of detail you could capture for landscapes.... alright I'm salivating now. Medium format digital is going to keep dropping in price and one day mere mortals like me will be able to afford it.

LOL. No I have not seen one, would be afraid to touch it if I did for fear I break it and have to buy.

joe-d 06-18-2011 09:28 PM

I have a Canon camera but if you lend me a Nikon camera, I also know how to use it :)

Cricket 06-18-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe-d (Post 1686373)
I have a Canon camera but if you lend me a Nikon camera, I also know how to use it :)

I tried a friend's Nikon and fell in love with it too. I just like cameras! :)

wes davidson 06-22-2011 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cricket (Post 1686379)
I just like cameras! :)

Me too! I even like toy cameras. Holgas are a lot of fun. I have a bookshelf which is quickly filling up with old cameras from yard sales and antique shops. Some work, some don't, but they all look cool!

MyUserNameRocks 06-22-2011 07:13 AM

I prefer Nikon. They just feel better in my hands, more intuitive. Also, every canon DSLR I've ever held I was afraid I was going to break just by gripping it, they just feel chincy.

wes davidson 06-22-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyUserNameRocks (Post 1688540)
I prefer Nikon. They just feel better in my hands, more intuitive. Also, every canon DSLR I've ever held I was afraid I was going to break just by gripping it, they just feel chincy.

I hate a chincy camera. Half the reason I moved up to a "prosumer" body was the magnesium alloy frame. The D300s and D700 are awesome to hold. They're like tanks.

MyUserNameRocks 06-22-2011 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes davidson (Post 1688542)
I hate a chincy camera. Half the reason I moved up to a "prosumer" body was the magnesium alloy frame. The D300s and D700 are awesome to hold. They're like tanks.

I can't justify the cost of a D300s for what I do. I have a D5000 and it suits my needs just fine. Thats the great thing about this generation of DSLR's, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to take great pictures of your kids. Being able to manually focus, control the ISO levels, etc. is a boon for a hobbyist like myself.

wes davidson 06-22-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyUserNameRocks (Post 1688547)
I can't justify the cost of a D300s for what I do. I have a D5000 and it suits my needs just fine. Thats the great thing about this generation of DSLR's, you don't need to spend thousands of dollars to take great pictures of your kids. Being able to manually focus, control the ISO levels, etc. is a boon for a hobbyist like myself.

I hear that. I make an income from my photography, but when I didn't I used a Nikon D60 which is an awesome little camera. Perfect for family and vacation shots. You should get the Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S for your D5000. It will blow you away and its super cheap.

MyUserNameRocks 06-22-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes davidson (Post 1688550)
I hear that. I make an income from my photography, but when I didn't I used a Nikon D60 which is an awesome little camera. Perfect for family and vacation shots. You should get the Nikon 35mm f1.8 AF-S for your D5000. It will blow you away and its super cheap.

Wow, I always just assumed I had the 35mm covered with my 18-55 but looking at some of the photos others have taken with that lens I can see that I was sadly mistaken. The contrast is amazing. Hmmm, I'll have to start leaving hints around for my wife for Christmas.

My first camera was the D60. I only upgraded because I wanted HD video too however, I didn't research that well enough and was very disappointed that the D5000 only lets you shoot in HD for 5 minutes. So I bought a high speed 16gb memory card for nothing.

wes davidson 06-22-2011 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyUserNameRocks (Post 1688566)
I only upgraded because I wanted HD video too however, I didn't research that well enough and was very disappointed that the D5000 only lets you shoot in HD for 5 minutes. So I bought a high speed 16gb memory card for nothing.

The time limitations on HD video in DSLRs is because the sensors overheat, which can cause permanent damage. It just means you have to be more creative. If you look at most films you will see that the camera angle rarely stays the same for very long and that different shots are edited together to create a more visually arresting narrative. Use the time limitation to switch up your shots and come at things from different angles (both figuratively and literally).

rsseosolution 07-01-2011 09:00 AM

i love nikon digital cameras as it is a better company

fashioncode2011 07-01-2011 09:47 AM

i love canon to be honest. i start to use canon only months ago, i learn a lot of shooting by keep touching my canon EOS 5D

ejingram 07-05-2011 06:17 AM

I have 2 Nikons. A D50 and a D3000. I'm thinking of selling the D3000. Not to happy with it now. I was in the beginning, but not now. I originally wanted a Pentax, but the one that I wanted, I couldn't find anywhere. So I went to Ritz Camera and the guy talked me into a Nikon. I'm very happy with it. I'm ready to upgrade to a better camera that's why I want to sell the D3000.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 PM.

3.8.7