Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tech Talk (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Which OS you prefer? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=412571)

MrJunaidShahid 02-21-2017 10:47 AM

Which OS you prefer?
 
I'm the user of windows and now feeling that it's not well after get the information linux based OS.
Suddenly I'm convinced that linux based OS are better on all other and have to replace the windows from the laptop.

what your opinion?

vaguar 02-21-2017 11:43 AM

Better yet, why don't you change your laptop & go for a mac with OS X? I've been using OS X for the past 15 years & there's nothing quite like the speed, stability & reliability of the Mac, OS X combo. Been using my current Mac for the past 5 years now & it looks good for another 2-3 years.

LMD 02-21-2017 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJunaidShahid (Post 2281990)
I'm the user of windows and now feeling that it's not well after get the information linux based OS.
Suddenly I'm convinced that linux based OS are better on all other and have to replace the windows from the laptop.

what your opinion?

Unless you've got a real reason to switch (OS is corrupt, software incompatible, machine is sluggish with the OS, it was an upgrade, put other reason here), I'd say stay put.

Why? Moving to a new OS can bring up other issues like compatibility of hardware, software - just to mention a couple of things to think about.

Well, there's that, and, I've just moved to a new machine, and have spent the better part of a day (probably longer) moving stuff over - installing software (spending time finding disks), restoring data files, passwords - you name it.

I don't want to do that again for a long, long, long time. ;)

2 cents.

Nishagupta 02-21-2017 09:20 PM

window is better than linux operating system in terms of user friendly, design and security. Window 7 is the best for PC.

vaguar 02-21-2017 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMD (Post 2281994)
Well, there's that, and, I've just moved to a new machine, and have spent the better part of a day (probably longer) moving stuff over - installing software (spending time finding disks), restoring data files, passwords - you name it.

I don't want to do that again for a long, long, long time. ;)

Yeah, that is a painful process. Which is why I keep my machines around for as long as possible. Last time I changed my Mac was because the motherboard gave out on the old one & it was too expensive to get a new one compared to buying a new machine.

Altssolution 02-22-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nishagupta (Post 2282016)
window is better than linux operating system in terms of user friendly, design and security. Window 7 is the best for PC.

who told you ? i think you should study about linux and linux distro,
then why windows is add the Linux command in Windows 10 ? just read this article
why Linux

Registernuke 02-23-2017 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJunaidShahid (Post 2281990)
Which OS you prefer?

In response to the opening thread question, I personally prefer Windows. It very well maybe that other systems like Mac OS,Ubuntu Linux, Linux Mint are faster and superior in many ways than a Windows Platform. However I personally prefer Windows because most people I work with only know Windows.

In addition to that, if I were to bring home anything other than a Windows PC, my wife would say" What's this? and than get mad and frustrated and then I would end up in the dog house until she felt I came to my senses. Pretty much all the rest of my family knows is Windows and that Start Menu button, anything else is just Bantha Fodder to them.

Lastly, I would say that I prefer Windows because I have found that it's just easier to find programs that run on them. That's just my 2 cents.

BogOfe34 02-23-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJunaidShahid (Post 2281990)
I'm the user of windows and now feeling that it's not well after get the information linux based OS.
Suddenly I'm convinced that linux based OS are better on all other and have to replace the windows from the laptop.

what your opinion?

I like using window system better than any other OS out there. I have been using windows since my high school days and since then I haven't encountered any major issues other than the recent upgrade to windows 10...:)

Maaxmarket 02-23-2017 10:57 PM

Particularly Windows 7, because its user friendly.

synrix 02-27-2017 11:38 AM

Windows is the most user-friendly and is also widely available. So, yeah

khadeer 02-27-2017 12:13 PM

Hi,

In my experience, I'm Windows user I used all the version of windows OS so I thought to just switch the laptop and go with Mac OS For the first time it looked like it's going to awesome to use after started using the laptop I thought what the hell is this. So If you have good and fast experience with Windows stick with windows.

MrJunaidShahid 03-04-2017 11:50 AM

let me think twice
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vaguar (Post 2281991)
Better yet, why don't you change your laptop & go for a mac with OS X? I've been using OS X for the past 15 years & there's nothing quite like the speed, stability & reliability of the Mac, OS X combo. Been using my current Mac for the past 5 years now & it looks good for another 2-3 years.

Thanks may be you are right but I can't afford mac, its really expensive for me, I admit that its an awesome machine in the world, I also admit mac have stronger security compare to other machines, but mac is not visible for a mediocre like me, I am using Windows and found some positive points in Linux operating system on the other. I can freeware software for both operating system on the Google but in Mac I don't see any positivity like this

MrJunaidShahid 03-04-2017 11:53 AM

have changed my mind
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LMD (Post 2281994)
Unless you've got a real reason to switch (OS is corrupt, software incompatible, machine is sluggish with the OS, it was an upgrade, put other reason here), I'd say stay put.

Why? Moving to a new OS can bring up other issues like compatibility of hardware, software - just to mention a couple of things to think about.

Well, there's that, and, I've just moved to a new machine, and have spent the better part of a day (probably longer) moving stuff over - installing software (spending time finding disks), restoring data files, passwords - you name it.

I don't want to do that again for a long, long, long time. ;)

2 cents.

I don't have major issue with my current operating system, but Windows take lot of RAM and lot of physical memory to be process linux operating system have less physical space coverage and less RAM consuming.

On other hand I am strongly agree with you, because I have to spend really long time to download and install operating system compatible softwares which I need and sometimes when we change operating system we will not get the software which you are we using in the previous operating system.

Thanks for your advice, I have changed my mind.

vaguar 03-04-2017 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJunaidShahid (Post 2283450)
Thanks may be you are right but I can't afford mac, its really expensive for me, I admit that its an awesome machine in the world, I also admit mac have stronger security compare to other machines, but mac is not visible for a mediocre like me, I am using Windows and found some positive points in Linux operating system on the other. I can freeware software for both operating system on the Google but in Mac I don't see any positivity like this

Yes, it is an expensive machine, but people here usually get friends travelling to Dubai etc to get one for them so that it works out to be more economical. Also you can make one last fairly long, so the cost of owning it actually turns out to be similar to a PC.

Regarding software, there used to be a time when you had to buy everything for a mac. Those days are gone now. Most daily necessities like email client, word processor, spreadsheet etc come built in to the Mac. Apart from that there's tons of free software available for download. You can get free everything, right from anti-virus to FTP client! On top of that you a get a free OS upgrade every year!

fubarfudd 03-05-2017 06:54 AM

What's the best car?
No such thing as best - depends on what you want.

Windows is most popular desktop OS and so most common, easiest (because of support and compatibility). Linux is more customisable and more secure but also less commercial software exists, the community can be nasty, but if you are a DIYer, it's great, but if you just want something that works out of the box and you can collaborate with non-Linux users, good luck. Macs as well - If you live in Excel all day, it's not the best choice.

GoClickOn 03-10-2017 03:30 AM

I would recommend Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 LTS. As you found out first hand, you really should back up your files. Don't blame Ubuntu for something that really was your mistake in the first place. Ubuntu is still a solid distro. Some people prefer Mint, but in reality both Mint and Ubuntu are based off of Debian, but I've found it to be a good server OS but lacking a lot of user-friendly things. All in all, I would give some flavor of Ubuntu a try. I personally hate Unity, so I use i3 as my window manager after installing Ubuntu Gnome which supported UEFI boot out of the box (something I cared about).

crishwatson 03-21-2017 12:49 AM

I have been using Microsoft's Windows ever since I was a child. In all my computers, there is Windows OS and they all are running absolutely fine.

surya kumar 03-21-2017 03:09 AM

Yeah with out any issues unnecessarily moving OS is an abrupt, Indeed if you have certain purpose then move But be prepare for prolonged reworks as quoted below. :td:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LMD (Post 2281994)
Unless you've got a real reason to switch (OS is corrupt, software incompatible, machine is sluggish with the OS, it was an upgrade, put other reason here), I'd say stay put.

Why? Moving to a new OS can bring up other issues like compatibility of hardware, software - just to mention a couple of things to think about.

Well, there's that, and, I've just moved to a new machine, and have spent the better part of a day (probably longer) moving stuff over - installing software (spending time finding disks), restoring data files, passwords - you name it.

I don't want to do that again for a long, long, long time. ;)

2 cents.


inventive 03-21-2017 04:17 AM

Up until 2 months ago, I would have said Windows 7.

However I was forced to upgrade to Windows 10 when I bought new hardware. - 7th gen Intel CPU's now can only be used on Windows 10.

I did a clean install and everything has been fine since, no problems related to the OS. All programs I use day to day are working fine. Older games are running ok as well.

Of the people I know, who are using windows 10 in a work environment. The ones with programs are those who didn't do a clean install and who are using older hardware of which no Windows 10 drivers are available from the hardware manufacturers.

So the key is make sure your hardware was designed for Windows 10 and ensure the drivers are available before you upgrade.

So right now the OS i prefer is windows 10 Pro

techguy99 03-31-2017 07:00 AM

I moved away from using Windows after my Windows 7 install got a malware that i couldn't get rid of despite trying three different antivirus and antimalware programs. I tried Linux mint (version 11 at the time) and found it more stable and reliable. Yes i will agree it isn't as user friendly as Windows but i have worked in IT since the 1990s so thats not really a problem for me. I only found a couple of programs on windows that I couldnt either get a free linux equivelent or use WINE to run under linux. I plan to install the latest LTS version of mint in the next couple of weeks and it won't cost me a penny


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:00 AM.

3.8.7