Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Controversial Social Issues (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   How is Obama’s “Trickle up poverty” going to improve the economy? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103953)

homebizseo 11-11-2008 01:21 AM

How is Obama’s “Trickle up poverty” going to improve the economy?
 
Explain how giving out more handouts will help working America.

South 11-11-2008 01:43 AM

It's not. The economy doesn't start at the bottom. Nobody at the bottom creates a single job, or makes the investments that create new industry.

Great for buying votes from ignorant folk, though. :)

krahmaan 11-11-2008 01:56 AM

Can anyone really see into the future? Maybe Silvia Brown really can? She did predict that Barack Obama would win on the Montel Williams show, and said that a change for the better would come about.

Well, her first prediction came true, so I give her credit. Now I just have to be patient for the rest and see. I actually thought she was a fraud at first! She surely proved me wrong, I thought McCain would undoubtedly win.

Any fortune tellers here, -of any future events? Please share, I'm all ears. ;)

Zap 11-11-2008 07:13 AM

Sorry KRahmaan, but Sylvia is a fraud.

Quote:

Sylvia Browne has been involved in numerous controversies regarding her claims and predictions. She has had a long-running feud with skeptic James Randi, who has said that her readings are indistinguishable from those achieved by mentalists using cold and hot reading techniques. In addition, reports about her psychic abilities by independent observers and the press have cast doubts on them. Her first husband, Gary Dufresne, said in a February 10, 2007 interview that he does not think Sylvia has any paranormal abilities, and that she admitted it, saying that the gullible deserve to be taken advantage of. Also supporting this conclusion are several incorrect predictions shown when the actual truth was revealed through other than psychic means, including those of Holly Krewson, Opal Jo Jennings, Lynda McClelland, and Shawn Hornbeck.

Browne has often spoken of working with the police and FBI as a psychic detective, but according to The Skeptics Dictionary, in 21 of Browne's 35 cases, the details she gave were too vague to be verified, and in the remaining 14 Browne played no useful role.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvia_Browne

http://www.ufowatchdog.com/sylviabrowne.html

http://hubpages.com/hub/Sylvia_Brown...onvicted_Felon

http://gabygal.blogspot.com/2007/07/...own-fraud.html

intech 11-11-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krahmaan (Post 973049)
Can anyone really see into the future? Maybe Silvia Brown really can? She did predict that Barack Obama would win on the Montel Williams show

And nobody else predicted that. :roll:

krahmaan 11-12-2008 04:56 AM

^ Hey, I don't believe anyone can really see into the future. Because no one has actually proven to me that they can. But I guess this is a start. :lol:

StrongInTheArm 11-12-2008 05:32 AM

I can see into the future, shall I make a couple of predictions for ya all?

Next year there will be an election in Britain.
In 4 years there will be another US Presidential election.
Tigers and rhinos will become extinct in the wild.
Britney Spears will get access to her children in time.
Indians will open a take away on the moon.
Ostrich eggs will be farmed more extensively.
The new toilet on the ISS will brake down again.
Gurning will become an Olympic sport.

OK, I'm not sure about the last one, the others are certainties, the obvious things always are.

xentech 11-19-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StrongInTheArm (Post 973843)
I can see into the future, shall I make a couple of predictions for ya all?

Next year there will be an election in Britain.
In 4 years there will be another US Presidential election.
Tigers and rhinos will become extinct in the wild.
Britney Spears will get access to her children in time.
Indians will open a take away on the moon.
Ostrich eggs will be farmed more extensively.
The new toilet on the ISS will brake down again.
Gurning will become an Olympic sport.

OK, I'm not sure about the last one, the others are certainties, the obvious things always are.

None of those are certainties.

StrongInTheArm 11-19-2008 11:04 AM

What do you mean Indians will not open a take away on the moon! (I'm kind of Indian btw)

backgammonnn123 02-01-2009 02:21 PM

Just maybe the infrastructure bailout will create enough jobs to get us out of this recession but we still need to do something about the overinflation of the dollar.

babbelon 02-04-2009 07:09 PM

Obama's plan will fail because it's main purpose is only to address half of the problem! Here's my opinion on what should be done about our economy, I originally posted this in another topic:
Quote:

Though I am all for extra $$$ to spend I want to be able to afford that extra spending $$$ again and again! That is why I believe we need to reduce and or eliminate our dependence on international consumer products such as gasoline/oil and we need to focus on the stimulation of our system of employment.

I think the best way to stimulate our economy from the employment or working class perspective is to selectively lower taxes on BOTH the business/employers side AND the workers/individuals side. My supporting reasons for this tactic are:

By cutting the cost of operations for business' and employers we enable said entities the resources and ability to offer additional employment opportunities, better incentives for said employment opportunities (higher pay, more frequent raises ect..) and thereby put more money into consumers pockets.

By cutting taxes on the individuals side we are complimenting the benefits offered by the above mentioned idea. This in turn increases consumer spending and further reinforces our economy through a steady flow of extra spending $$$!

Furthermore, the above tactic will provide a fertile market for new and small business' (which are started by consumers and working class citizens) to start re emerging. This is important because as of right now small and medium sized business' account for approximately 1/3-2/3 of all jobs within the US economy. That's a BIG chunk!

In conclusion I would like to state that while it is difficult to see one man/woman who has built his/her business from the ground up driving around in a BMW while others can't even afford a roll of Tissue Paper, that man/woman has worked damn hard to get that BMW and he/she has also done a considerable favor to his/her community by providing it with additional employment opportunities to strengthen it's economy. The consumers and working class are only 1/3-1/4 of the whole pie. The big business' need a break too and if we ever hope to survive this economic crisis we need to encourage the creation/expansion of small/medium sized business'.

alakazam 02-17-2009 07:57 PM

I'm hopeful because at least something is being done.

Dustin07 02-17-2009 10:40 PM

What's frustrating is that working people who will remain working, but lose more of their income than those people who are on unemployment, will receive LESS returned tax money from the government. What is $13/check supposed to do?


I don't believe that Obama is giving money to the poor simply to buy votes. I think he is dense enough to actually think that his Socialist government is a good move. People like to say President Bush was dumb, but the truth of the matter is that President Obama is just a better speaker. His policies are insane. He reverses Bush's abortion policies and instantly says we must close Guantanamo because of our "human values"...? tell that to the unborn.


regardless, the stimulus will have an effect. Our situation is not as bad as previous recessions and our stimulus is larger. I feel strongly that the tax relief will do little to nothing. that is 25% of the stimulus. However, we also have money going into science, infrastructure, energy, etc. Those monies may help with the longevity of our recovery.



I think Obama was lucky that the economy was in a recession. It gave him an opportunity to create a socialist package he would not have been able to create if we were in a booming economy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by alakazam (Post 1034848)
I'm hopeful because at least something is being done.

it was the fact that something 'was being done' in the first place that got us into this mess.

John Scott 02-18-2009 12:29 PM

The stimulus will simply prolong the inevitable. The Democrats are the ones who put pressure on banks to make the subprime loans in the first place, and they aren't going to cut off the subprime cash flow now. So more subprime loans are going to be made, and the money will be lost, and we'll either print more money, go further in debt and prolong the inevitable even longer, or we will face the music.

Dustin07 02-19-2009 02:25 PM

We were $75.5million in debt in 1791 and we have only increased the burden over the last 200+ years.

This stimulus as a comparrison to GDP, is smaller than the stimulus we had in the late 1980s during the Savings & Loan crisis. We came out of that stronger and rolled into a booming 1990's.

I agree with what you say about the democrats although I keep seeing more and more republican names pop up.



its like poker.... maximize the upswings and minimize the downswings.

Franc Tireur 02-19-2009 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Scott (Post 1035506)
The stimulus will simply prolong the inevitable. The Democrats are the ones who put pressure on banks to make the subprime loans in the first place, and they aren't going to cut off the subprime cash flow now. So more subprime loans are going to be made, and the money will be lost, and we'll either print more money, go further in debt and prolong the inevitable even longer, or we will face the music.

I agree with you John but we cannot let down the people. Right now on 10 Americans, 1 is living on food stamps, that's a lot.

The solutions will be possible only on a true bipartisans politic, which is not right now. I think some politicians and some wall street people don't get it

South 02-19-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Elements (Post 1036428)
I agree with you John but we cannot let down the people. Right now on 10 Americans, 1 is living on food stamps, that's a lot.

The solutions will be possible only on a true bipartisans politic, which is not right now. I think some politicians and some wall street people don't get it

At the risk of sounding cold, I want to ask you something. What exactly is it that you think the government can do about it? They only thing they can do is hand out more welfare. The whole point is that the problem we have right now is a direct result of the government trying to involve themselves in peoples lives. They're trying to fix it by doubling down on the failure, then trippling down.

I'm sorry that some people need government assistance. I'm sorrier still that many take it who don't need it, but government can't fix it bipartisan or not. The only thing the government can do is drop taxes off of and get out of the way of American business. That creates the jobs and that creates the paychecks.

Good intentions are fine, but they're bankrupting us. Reality is the only way back. This liberal attempt to create Xanadu will only drive us deeper.

Franc Tireur 02-19-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by South (Post 1036486)
At the risk of sounding cold, I want to ask you something. What exactly is it that you think the government can do about it? They only thing they can do is hand out more welfare. The whole point is that the problem we have right now is a direct result of the government trying to involve themselves in peoples lives. They're trying to fix it by doubling down on the failure, then trippling down.

I'm sorry that some people need government assistance. I'm sorrier still that many take it who don't need it, but government can't fix it bipartisan or not. The only thing the government can do is drop taxes off of and get out of the way of American business. That creates the jobs and that creates the paychecks.

Good intentions are fine, but they're bankrupting us. Reality is the only way back. This liberal attempt to create Xanadu will only drive us deeper.

You are right South but we cannot wait 4 years and hope that Republicans win and can drop taxes.

Right now people are massively losing their businesses, their jobs, their houses and defaulting on their debts which dry up the bank system cash flow, as we all know. Putting a lot of budget crises on states because of lack of tax revenue. Basically the entire system is collapsing month after month.

Something needs to be done. It is not perfect but there is no other choice because a political party has the majority.

South 02-20-2009 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Elements (Post 1036548)
Something needs to be done. It is not perfect but there is no other choice because a political party has the majority.

There's no doubt that something has to be done, but doing this is like breaking you leg with a hammer, realizing it's broken, then beating on it harder to try and fix it because "something" has to be done.

This bill is so bad that they had to write in language forcing states to accept the money, knowing that wise governors would refuse it.

John Scott 02-20-2009 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Elements (Post 1036428)
I agree with you John but we cannot let down the people. Right now on 10 Americans, 1 is living on food stamps, that's a lot.

The solutions will be possible only on a true bipartisans politic, which is not right now. I think some politicians and some wall street people don't get it

I know several that are getting food stamps. They don't "live on" food stamps, but they certainly get them. For the most part, they work cash jobs that, if that income was reported, would make them ineligible for food stamps. One is a house cleaner, which tends to be good money. Another runs a day care center out of her home. Another one works construction under the table.

If somebody seriously wanted a job to increase their income, there are millions of jobs available. Millions.

It's not the role of the government to baby-sit people.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:58 AM.

3.8.7