Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   How to Take Outdoor images (w/o Flash) When its Dark Properly? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=420180)

tyler00 09-10-2017 03:11 PM

How to Take Outdoor images (w/o Flash) When its Dark Properly?

I have several phone cameras and i notice when its getting dark but with my eyes it is still light enough that i can see everything just fine, that my cameras have a tough time capturing it in its truest form. Is it the type phones i am using, or where a real camera should be used, or an app setting (ie, exposure) need to be explored?

There are some images i'd love to capture and post on Deviant but they just come out with grainy particles and lack the color pizazz that i see with my eyes.

marlynreeder 09-29-2017 01:54 PM

Yeah, it is because the f-number of the human eye varies from about f/8.3 in a very brightly lit place to about f/2.1 in the dark.. That's why we see clarity in dark too. But Technology couldn't compete the human eye.

As far as camera concern I recommend you to use iPhone 7/X Camera. It's much better than all other phones.

Best Regards
Marlyn
[removed]

ScriptMan 09-30-2017 03:54 AM

Probably not possible with a phone camera.

A dedicated camera, even an inexpensive point and shoot should get you down to about f2 and a real camera (down to f1.2) using a tripod with timed exposures can take a picture in full darkness.

qbeststar 12-11-2017 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler00 (Post 2307216)
I have several phone cameras and i notice when its getting dark but with my eyes it is still light enough that i can see everything just fine, that my cameras have a tough time capturing it in its truest form. Is it the type phones i am using, or where a real camera should be used, or an app setting (ie, exposure) need to be explored?

There are some images i'd love to capture and post on Deviant but they just come out with grainy particles and lack the color pizazz that i see with my eyes.

If your mobile use Android you can download some software from marketplay and try test, many programs has night mode 8)

JackMiller7 03-23-2018 10:29 AM

Well the thing is the human eye actually achieves F1.0 equivalent, your eyes pupils can dilate to full exposure of F1.0. Aslo your brains Signal to noise ratio is lower than pretty much any camera, and its sensitivity is like ISO 1600. If you had a camera with iso 1600, F1.0 and low SNR with 8k resolution and 16bits of color depth you would get a image about 50% quality of your eyes.

as for what you can do, is atleast get a camera with a f1.4 lens and iso 800 for shooting decent dark images. Just remember you need to saturate dark images from a camera to compensate low color saturation of dark images. Another thing you can do with your phone is take multiple exposures and combine them for an HDR image.

domaxi198 03-25-2018 12:23 PM

I can confirm what JackMiller7 says. I have a semi-professional full frame DSLR and even this device has problems to capture pictures properly in some situations. I don't make photos with smartphones but when I do it with my DSLR, I am using a tripod in a dark(er) environment and do some adjustments, like ISO, shutter speed or aperture (depending on the situation). Maybe there are some tools available for smartphones?