Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/index.php)
-   Webmaster Revenue (http://www.v7n.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Generating revenue. Where do I start? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278759)

sparior 10-13-2011 10:27 PM

Generating revenue. Where do I start?

I am close to launching a Job search engine website.( www.joobgle.com ) This is my first major live website since I graduated, thus the first chance I've had to introduce some sort of income from it.

I know websites earn money from advertising, but I really don't know where to start with this.

I've heard of google adsense, but it's just jargon to me.

Where do I start in terms of advertising and generating revenue?

Thanks,

Cliff

Maa 10-14-2011 12:05 PM

First you can start with word of mouth. Telling everyone you know about it. You can find affiliate programs that pertain to your niche. Here are some affiliate sites you can look into: Google affiliates, Linkshare, Commission Junction, Revenueads etc. You should join these sites and browse them to find out what affiliate programs that pertain to your website. This is where the majority of money comes from for people who own websites or blogs.

Social media is where you can tell more people about your site. Sites such as twitter, facebook, apsense, viral networks, adlandpro etc. These are networking sites.

Participation in forums that pertain to your topic. Such as job forums where people are looking for jobs.

I hope this was helpful. Wishing you much success!

vServer Center 10-14-2011 12:26 PM

With a job site you have a few options for revenue:
-Google AdSense Advertising
-Charge users to view jobs
-Charge companies to post jobs

I would suggest you start with a free site and once you have users coming and using the site offer companies the ability to upgrade their free listings. You could keep the paid listings on the top of the list, make them not expire as quickly or allow them to include images.

snakeair 10-16-2011 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparior (Post 1768296)
I am close to launching a Job search engine website.( www.joobgle.com ) This is my first major live website since I graduated, thus the first chance I've had to introduce some sort of income from it.

I know websites earn money from advertising, but I really don't know where to start with this.

I've heard of google adsense, but it's just jargon to me.

Where do I start in terms of advertising and generating revenue?

Thanks,

Cliff

For your type of website i would say Adsense is your best income generator. Since the visitors will be directed off your Job's site when they click on a listing to view that listing, they are leaving your website which means potential money is leaving also.

Your Jobs site has a lot of niche's it seems and some pay top dollar in the adsense niche. Just 1 click could get you a few buck's. Work on getting a ton of traffic to your website.

You could sell banner advertising space on your listings page. Basically sell banner ads. Maybe 468x90 would be a good size to stick under the JOB search bar. A great piece of software that is easy to use to sell ad space would be the OIO publisher one. http://www.oiopublisher.com/ (I've used this since they was first in beta and love the easy admin interface)

supershoesclub 10-16-2011 07:27 AM

I think if you want to increase the ewvenue with your job search engine site,you should make it popular in the world.just build more quality backlinks for your site to have a better SERP in major serach engines,like google and yahoo.thus, you will get very huge traffic indeed.so you know traffic means money.just place google adsense ads in your site to get a good earning there. or you can use the affiliate ads which is relevant to your site.of course, if your site is popular enough in future,you can use a featured listing function to get more money if some job compaanines want to views more times by visitors.

masm50 10-16-2011 09:35 AM

I did reply to this already, but that seems to have got deleted (sorry to mod if I broke a rule)... I'll try again with no links:

If you are just launching a new site then in all likelihood you will not be getting much traffic - and advertisers pay for traffic, whether through views (CPM) or clicks (CPC). I would focus on building up your traffic before really trying to monetise the site through advertising networks such as AdSense.

However, being a jobs site you have a few other options to get an income from the site:
1) Charge advertisers to be a "sponsored listing" - so they appear at the top of any jobsearch for a certain term.
2) Charge advertisers to list a job - maybe wait until the traffic is up first.
3) Charge jobseekers to join and search - again maybe wait on this one.

The idea is that if you get sufficient traffic for people (both employer and jobseekers) will come to you to look for and post jobs. Once you have a bit of influence in that industry then you will be able to charge people for access - or charge better rates for advertising if you want the site to stay free.

snakeair 10-16-2011 12:12 PM

With the OP's site, i don't think there is a way to list a job opening on there. All the results look like they getting pulled from careerbuilder.com so sell advertising space and adsense only looks like the best revenue generating tactic's. This just my opinion.