Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/)
-   Internet Legal Issues (http://www.v7n.com/forums/legal-issues/)
-   -   legal action against scammers (http://www.v7n.com/forums/legal-issues/102618-legal-action-against-scammers.html)

Plutonic 10-26-2008 05:10 PM

legal action against scammers

I bought something for $100 and never recieved it, it was an online service.

I am in australia and he is in india, is there any legal action i can take?

He's under age (16)

AnonymousUser 10-26-2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plutonic (Post 963255)

He's under age (16)

Did you pay with paypal? Make a dispute

Plutonic 10-26-2008 05:23 PM

Yes, but this person has scammed other people, paypal has no buyer protection for services.

I NEED to take legal action.

AnonymousUser 10-26-2008 05:29 PM

Try a dispute... Provide paypal with a photocopy of your passport and tell them that the guy you brought from is using a fake id, If they ask him to provide and he doesnt im sure they will refund you, otherwise, only action is to get the next plane to india and sort him out

retrospector 11-09-2008 12:13 PM

Well think of it this way,

You can't honestly take legal action on a teenager,

I mean think about it:

What if he is an honest person who goes to school, gets good grades and tries to live his life like any other teenager?

Don't put him in jail, but just make a dispute on paypal for your money back.

my_misyel 11-10-2008 06:50 AM

Make a dispute in paypal or write an article of what happened and publish it on your blog so that if there are any other people who were scammed by this person will come out. Are you really sure he's 16? since you got scammed it means he's fake.

Harveyj 11-12-2008 05:43 PM

The fact that he's underage technically means he's not allowed to have a paypal account in the first place.
To have a paypal account ,you have to be able to fulfil legally binding contracts.
If you have PROOF he's underage, then PayPal has clearly not fulfilled due care in ensuring that a user is able to conduct lawful business, and that's osmething you can take legal action against PayPal for itself.
From what I understand, PayPal also has to conduct business by Australian banking regulations for all of its operations in Australia. Therefore, you're probably able to take them to your consumer affairs department (ACCC?) and demand restitution and action against this individual.

That said, you also should have practiced due diligence and not done business with a teenager. That's just asking for trouble.

Ashley27 11-12-2008 06:45 PM

you should paid at first least 25 or 50% of total price because you're not sure if he's going to send you the item..then send the balance amount when you received it.

bogs 11-12-2008 07:20 PM

this one also might help: http://www.anti-scam.org/report-a-scam.html

asavantage 01-17-2009 02:22 AM

First thing you should have done is check out the "online service" that you used. Phone them first and ask what happens if you do not recieve goods as you stated. Write to their address - confirm they recieved your enquiry by asking them the address on the letter you sent.

If the "online service" company says they will re-imburse for losses you can go ahead and purchase.

If not, you should do the same as above with the person you are buying from. Get his name and phone number. Ask for his parents. Get their address (and write as above). Get I.D - passport details - offer a copy of yours. Do these checks and you are less likely to get scammed. You could also ask paypal if there have been any problems with that account, and whether they have the contact details of the scammer, and find out the level of their liability.

These are just basic security steps. It goes in the face of quick online purchases, but if the source is not trusted, or if they do not have phone or address pr passport validation, then don't bother with them. If you have this, at least you can report the information you have to their local authorities. You must get the FULL NAME first, before you ask for identification, so it matches - they won't be expecting that and the will "run" if they are liars.

extremeseos0007 07-04-2009 12:21 AM

As you have used paypal, they do have buyer protection policy. Another thing, if you want to hire a legal professional then make sure that you need to spend huge before you can accept any refund or compensation from that scamer.

emofree 07-05-2009 11:50 PM

hmm this is really a serious legal action since the offender that we are dealing is an under age guy that scams people abroad. it will be hard dealing like this one.

quentin123 07-06-2009 02:54 AM

i would have no pitty for a scammer even if he is underaged

stealing money is stealing money , no matter if it's on the internet

blazin1 07-06-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plutonic (Post 963255)

He's under age (16)

I would dispute the purchase with PayPal. What was the item in question if you don't mind telling us?

Hades 07-06-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quentin123
i would have no pitty for a scammer even if he is underaged

stealing money is stealing money , no matter if it's on the internet

This thread was started last year, maybe the kid is already emancipated and now the OP can start legal action :P

uriah solomon 08-25-2009 12:55 AM

wait till he turns 18, then set him up..

HL-Sean 08-26-2009 05:02 PM

Dispute the charge with your credit card company. Theres nothing else you can do unless you have his personal information.

aussielogodesign 08-26-2009 10:29 PM

we are in the internet world, there is a lot of scammers and hackers. the best thing we do is not to give our account information such as credit cardl or bank account. we need to know the disadvantages if we continue about the online services , some of them is scam