Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/)
-   Controversial Social Issues (http://www.v7n.com/forums/controversial-social-issues/)
-   -   Do We Really Want To Pick a Fight With Russia? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/controversial-social-issues/362290-do-we-really-want-pick-fight-russia.html)

Cricket 03-01-2014 07:41 PM

Do We Really Want To Pick a Fight With Russia?

Quote:

Russian President Vladimir Putin said in a phone conversation with U.S. President Barack Obama that "Russia reserves its right to protect its interests" in Ukraine's Crimea, as Russian troops took over the peninsula on Saturday, and after parliament granted Putin approval to invade Ukraine.

Obama told Putin that Russia had committed a clear violation of Ukrainian sovereignty by sending forces into Crimea and warned of consequences.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/presiden...ck-on-ukraine/
Is there any chance we could stay out of even one fight around the world?

snakeair 03-01-2014 08:21 PM

This is the American way, every president or congress has to pick at least 1 or 2 fights before they elect the next president.

The problem is Russia can give us a run for our money or china's money.

Jim Gillum 03-01-2014 09:51 PM

We do not need to go there......

ScriptMan 03-02-2014 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cricket (Post 2098621)
Is there any chance we could stay out of even one fight around the world?

Apparently not. I am so tired of paying for wars and watching people die for the sake of political egos.

snakeair 03-02-2014 05:38 AM

We still have troops fighting from the wars started 10+ years ago. WTF, Russia is not a weak country that will back down.

I personally know someone who has nightmares of what he did and saw when he was on tour in the war. One of my employee's is a former marine and did 2 tours. (he is my best tech I have)

Let's bring back half of our troops that we have across the world. Fight the battle in Washington DC

Can't wait to see what happens next.

Zap 03-03-2014 06:46 AM

I am encouraged to see so many Americans with no hunger for war and who do not want to fight this fight.
I hope your leaders are listening very carefully.

Picture a large population of Americans living in Mexico.
Now Mexico suffers revolution and chaos.
Would anyone try to stop the American government from moving in and trying to protect it's people?

We need more peace, not more war. But there's no money in peace.

lynxus 03-03-2014 06:55 AM

This isnt just a case of USA vs Russia..

Canada , UK, France, ( Pretty much every EU country ) , China etc have all stated to Russia to back off.

However.
There are two sides to the story.

Russia are actually well within their right to do this. They are after all protecting people who want to be part of Russia..

Its a divided country, and these kind of conflicts never resolve quietly.

They almost need a massive wall between the two halves of the country.

Zap 03-03-2014 07:35 AM

The Canadian vote is just a US Proxy vote.
Our government lost the ability to think for itself some time in the last decade.
We are nothing more than a parrot with an American squaker and Americanized policy to back that up.
Our Prime Minister can not tell you what he plans to do about Russia until after he's spoken with his American masters.

G10 03-03-2014 09:43 AM

To fight a war you need a strong, or at least decent economy behind you or else a government will cripple its nation.

Look at the Falklands war (UK fighting Argentina). To this day, Argentinas economy is still struggling.

Fighting smaller battles like Iraq etc are doable even though the economy takes a hit, but Russia is a different ballgame altogether.

I am not sure if the US would actually go through with any threats as both nations would lose heavily in lives and economies.

ScriptMan 03-03-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G10 (Post 2099057)
I am not sure if the US would actually go through with any threats as both nations would lose heavily in lives and economies.

Why would we even act like we would? It is none of our business. For how the US government dealt with native population I refer you the history books written by Native Americans.

Then if you need some modern examples there is Waco and Ruby Ridge.

We should secure our borders and be prepared to defend them at all costs.

Jim Gillum 03-04-2014 07:11 AM

Like the Monroe Doctrine.....

It's OK to visit....but don't bring too much luggage...:)

Zap 03-04-2014 08:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.v7n.com/forums/attachment...1&d=1393949925

Kind of fit the theme of this thread pretty well.

Bob Barr 03-04-2014 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zap (Post 2099292)
Kind of fit the theme of this thread pretty well.

So we can stop sending out all of that foreign aid then? Great.

Zap 03-04-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Barr (Post 2099307)
So we can stop sending out all of that foreign aid then? Great.

Now is probably a good time to rethink that as well.
Things have not been so rosy for many economies around the world.
Perhaps it's time for a lot of countries bleeding money abroad to rethink that strategy and start looking to solve the problems at home.

__Web__ 03-10-2014 01:13 PM

Looking back at how the things went when it was about Georgia or Syria, i doubt anyone would want to fight Russia. For what "the consequences" are concerned ..yeah, right. Lets not forget that Russia supplies about 30% of EU's gas.

Sprinkler Buddy 03-10-2014 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScriptMan (Post 2098718)
Apparently not. I am so tired of paying for wars and watching people die for the sake of political egos.

Amen to that!

TechWizard 03-10-2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynxus (Post 2099005)
This isnt just a case of USA vs Russia..

Canada , UK, France, ( Pretty much every EU country ) , China etc have all stated to Russia to back off.

However.
There are two sides to the story.

Russia are actually well within their right to do this. They are after all protecting people who want to be part of Russia..

Its a divided country, and these kind of conflicts never resolve quietly.

They almost need a massive wall between the two halves of the country.

For whatever reason Ukraine nor Georgia were ever made NATO members, had they been this would be an entirely different incident, and my guess is Putin would have never done it as all of the other NATO members would have been obligated to react. As it stands now there is no more obligations to anyone other than Saber Rattling....

As to the protecting people who want to be part of Russia. I may be wrong but when you have a Parliament that is surrounded by armed Russian invading troops the vote to become part of Russia maybe slightly biased.

As to the people that live in Crimea, well from what I understand they are not unlike most other countries where half the population things one way and the other half thinks another. To lump everyone together or stereotype a people by saying they all want to be part of Russia I think is doing a injustice to the actual situation.

This base of the whole incident is that Russia decided to side with the ousted running president and call the uprising against whatever the citizens were so upset about as a coup and are using the excuse of backing who they see as the valid president as the excuse to get their foot in the door.

TechWizard 03-10-2014 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zap (Post 2099309)
Now is probably a good time to rethink that as well.
Things have not been so rosy for many economies around the world.
Perhaps it's time for a lot of countries bleeding money abroad to rethink that strategy and start looking to solve the problems at home.

While I couldn't agree with you more on this the amount of foreign aid that many countries hand out. There is another side to the coin though, in both a humanitarian sense when that foreign aid actually gets put to the use it is supposed to get used for, for the convenience of not having to take military action for this or for that such as the supposed case with places like Egypt and the like that are supposed to be going out of their way to help keep the middle east or at least the parts that they decide to under control in return for the aid....

I know...this is going to start an argument :mrgreen:

But it really is what it is...or at least it is what it is supposed to be

__Web__ 03-10-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechWizard (Post 2100692)
For whatever reason Ukraine nor Georgia were ever made NATO members, had they been this would be an entirely different incident, and my guess is Putin would have never done it as all of the other NATO members would have been obligated to react. As it stands now there is no more obligations to anyone other than Saber Rattling....

NATO

I only see two countries that have good army forces (US and UK), yet let's not forget that without Russia the second world war might have ended different.

TechWizard 03-11-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by __Web__ (Post 2100735)
NATO

I only see two countries that have good army forces (US and UK), yet let's not forget that without Russia the second world war might have ended different.

Not getting into the details of NATO structure. Simply pointing out Treaty obligation. Just as if we attacked North Korea China would be forced by treaty to defend them whether they agreed with the reason that we attacked or not we would also be so obligated to do the same if Georgia or Ukraine were NATO members and attacked or invaded as Ukraine is being now. The who and why really makes little difference unless of course the NATO member had violated something that would nullify the treaty.