Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/)
-   Controversial Social Issues (http://www.v7n.com/forums/controversial-social-issues/)
-   -   What's your take on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/controversial-social-issues/372076-whats-your-take-als-ice-bucket-challenge.html)

wackyme 08-22-2014 07:21 AM

What's your take on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?

What's your take on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?

Shouldn't the people just donate if they'd want to and don't have to do that challenge... I 've seen kids doing it too and I don't feel comfortable with it. AL though the challenge is for a very good cause but I think if people would really want to donate, they would just do so without the challenge...

How about you guys, what's your take in this issue?

ScriptMan 08-22-2014 06:02 PM

I tend to be a bit cynical about a lot of things. This isn't one of them.

This type of thing is a fun way to participate for charity. It is nothing more than an attention getter.

InclusiveHost-John 08-22-2014 06:10 PM

I would say any publicity that helps raise awareness of a disease is helpful. I don't see a downside to it really - there's a comedic side to it but also a challenge to others to get engaged.

snakeair 08-22-2014 06:17 PM

It's people seeking attention and the challenge is stupid. You shouldn't need a challenge like this to donate to a charity.

I donate to local charities and also if friends are in need, I donate. I don't have to make a video and call out people on Facebook. If it takes this video to raise awareness and make people donate, there is a huge problem with people in this world. If someone calls me out on FB, I will give my real reason why I think the challenge is stupid and probably loose friends over it.

Basically this challenge is stupid. Just last week I donated money to a friends charity because she is has breast cancer. This friend owns a bar and is also selling t-shirts with all money going to her medical bills. This fund is not advertised anywhere but in the local town because we help each other out and don't need to make an @$@ of ourselves on FB.

wackyme 08-23-2014 08:14 AM

Well, it goes viral already and I'd say it engaged a lot of people, even singers, actors and other public figures. On the other hand, it has raise awareness to others... Al though I'm still not comfortable with the challenge... hehehe...

Anyways, glad to hear all your thoughts in this issue...

DNN 08-23-2014 12:02 PM

It's amazing how everyone is coming out for the ALS ice bucket challenge but not paying attention and handling today's issues such as Ferguson, Missouri.

snakeair 08-23-2014 05:52 PM

I got called out on FB by a friend. I ignored it and went to bed. Have not been on FB since waking up though. lol

I'm upset about this because If I wanted to donate money to a charity, I will do this on my own, I don't need people calling me out. WTF.

DNN, you are correct, there are bigger problems going on in our country and it's in Missouri. I'm praying for things to get better over there for the boyss family and well for the violence to stop.

InclusiveHost-John 08-23-2014 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNN (Post 2138637)
It's amazing how everyone is coming out for the ALS ice bucket challenge but not paying attention and handling today's issues such as Ferguson, Missouri.

It seems like almost every TV new station is covering this though, with almost 24/7 coverage. Who is not paying attention?

There are people raising money for BOTH individuals:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/22/us/mis...-fund-raising/

midynamics 08-24-2014 03:55 PM

Thing is, how would have people donated if they never knew what ALS was? IBC going viral helped them in getting identified, creating awareness and obviously getting more for donations. Considering it got famous with the celebrities Im sure you must have bagged a lot in short time.

drastic 08-24-2014 06:02 PM

People who complain about it are idiots. They constantly say "dumping water on your head won't cure ALS" and I just shake my head trying to decide how far down the retard spectrum they are.

No kidding it doesn't cure anything. The ice bucket is an viral awareness gimmick that people just like to do.

My only issue is that some people talk way too long in their video, like they're some sort of talk show host. Just dump the water already!

kdaniel171 09-04-2014 06:23 AM

And to think that doing the ice bucket challenge is like spilling water everywhere, Africa is scarce on water. I have donated but never tried the ice bucket because doing the challenge is just stupid.

maxi007 09-10-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdaniel171 (Post 2141049)
And to think that doing the ice bucket challenge is like spilling water everywhere, Africa is scarce on water. I have donated but never tried the ice bucket because doing the challenge is just stupid.

i am not a fan of ALS challnge but can you tell without this challenge , the scarcity of water in africa will diminished ??

sanusense 09-11-2014 04:32 AM

Most of my FB friends did that for grabbing attention, And I don't think any of them have ever donated money for a cause. *Just Show Off*

X_Gen 09-24-2014 07:17 PM

We all know the purpose of this ALS challenge, primarily, for people to donate. I think that they have made it more interesting with this challenge. Interesting and fun at the same time. People get to experience how it feels like when you have ALS with the ice bucket challenge. I know others just do it for the sake of fun. There's downsides to a lot of things. You cannot force everyone to donate though they'd want to make the challenge. The important this is to spread the cause and focus on the upsides of this project.

edv 10-01-2014 10:37 AM

yeah you're right people should donate without doing it, but it was a creative idea to spread it all over the world and make awareness of the ALS

BlastNames 10-01-2014 10:44 AM

Well it really was a good idea to get attention! By the way, I just noticed that Stephen Hawking is a victim of ALS.

Chaze 10-17-2014 02:48 PM

As someone that cares about animal rights, I think it's a sham. They torture and give diseases to little mice. It's sick really. All to use only 14% of the funds towards a cure. It's smart marketing and a bunch of suckers.

premz 10-18-2014 12:28 AM

it was good any many took and raised fund for ALS

atxvideo 10-23-2014 07:23 AM

Seems like harmless fun and a way to spread the word. I don't have a problem with it.

LandonGunpta94 11-15-2014 07:55 AM

It was great that raised awareness but, very few people donated which makes little impact on those who have the diseases.