Webmaster Forum

Webmaster Forum (http://www.v7n.com/forums/)
-   Controversial Social Issues (http://www.v7n.com/forums/controversial-social-issues/)
-   -   Do you know why we have an The Electoral College? (http://www.v7n.com/forums/controversial-social-issues/409384-do-you-know-why-we-have-electoral-college.html)

TechWizard 11-14-2016 05:05 PM

Do you know why we have an The Electoral College?

Many elections especially recently have been won not by popular vote but rather by the Electoral College. If you listen to many people you will hear that your vote does not count as it may not go DIRECTLY toward the choice for the next President of the United States.

I'm thinking that many simply do not understand the Electoral College or the reasons that were behind the design of such a system.

http://uselectionatlas.org/INFORMATI...ge_history.php

Gives a decent explanation of it and what thinking went behind it's creation.

What do you think about it?

ScriptMan 11-15-2016 05:55 AM

I already knew that and I think the reasoning is as valid now as it was then. Why should a few major population clusters control the entire nation?

Even with the EC an overwhelming majority of the states have to vote as a block to over ride the major population centers.

TechWizard 11-15-2016 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScriptMan (Post 2270192)
I already knew that and I think the reasoning is as valid now as it was then. Why should a few major population clusters control the entire nation?

Even with the EC an overwhelming majority of the states have to vote as a block to over ride the major population centers.

Absolutely! It's a great way to ensure that not one or only a few states get to repeatedly decide the outcome for all of the other states. I think a large number of people forget that America was designed with the Power of the States at the center of everything

BogOfe34 12-07-2016 07:04 PM

Thank you for sharing this info. Although the concept of electoral college doesn't seem to apply here during elections, I'm still glad of knowing how crucial can this body during US elections...:)

EdwardSmith 02-07-2017 03:14 AM

Well I dont claim to know a lot about politics. I see it as a lot of nonsense dreamt up by people who want to argue with each other.

After several bad attempts to get things right, the US system of electing a president has come up with something similar to the British system.

The system however is still wrong. More people voted for Clinton than Trump.

ScriptMan 02-07-2017 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardSmith (Post 2280081)

The system however is still wrong. More people voted for Clinton than Trump.

This is not meant to be a personal attack you.

I'm really tired of hearing that particular statement. We are a republic not a democracy.

There are 3,141 counties in the United States. Clinton won 57 of them.

Trump won 3084. Should the 57 be selecting the president for the vast majority?

Woomeister 02-07-2017 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdwardSmith (Post 2280081)
Well I dont claim to know a lot about politics. I see it as a lot of nonsense dreamt up by people who want to argue with each other.

Probably safer to stay out of Political debate then! ;)

vaguar 02-07-2017 08:23 AM

Interesting, but I wonder if it's necessary to have indirect representatives being just guided by a majority vote, since on most occasions, a majority vote for a particular candidate leads to an electoral college of the concerned state giving the majority of its vote to the candidate in question as well. So might as well give the state directly to a candidate who wins the majority in it & bypass the guys in the middle.

EdwardSmith 02-07-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScriptMan (Post 2280101)
This is not meant to be a personal attack you.

I'm really tired of hearing that particular statement. We are a republic not a democracy.

There are 3,141 counties in the United States. Clinton won 57 of them.

Trump won 3084. Should the 57 be selecting the president for the vast majority?

Just by looking at your own figures you have to admit that these is something wrong.
A majority of people are not represented.
Democracy seems a much fairer system.
However from a Republican point of view you are absolutely correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woomeister (Post 2280102)
Probably safer to stay out of Political debate then! ;)

Wheres the fun in that?.

Miguel Portela 05-02-2017 11:49 AM

I think electoral college should be on curiosity from the history books.
It was a system that made sense when communications and travel where so difficult but now in my option makes no sense.

jaybryant 05-05-2017 02:26 PM

To prevent certain states dictate the outcome of the presidential election? Two American friends of mine said the same explanation. Can see their disappointment but they moved on like nothing happened.