Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Reseller Hosting

Reseller Hosting Discuss reseller hosting opportunities and more.

Share |
Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeper View Post
There is no such thing as unlimited, it's called deceptive advertising. Some companies, like dreamhost, take it further and offer something like "unlimited + 50GB" disk space which makes absolutely no sense. It's quite sad.
Now after 2 years I just checked their site and they have modified their +50 GB to +50 GB backups.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelthost View Post
Its doesn't matter. It's for Overselling support.
Quote:
Definition Overselling:

Overselling is the act of selling more bandwidth and disk space than you really have available. Every web host oversells but it only becomes negative when this overselling hurts their stability causing them to loose more customers then gain. Lately this has been a big issue in the hosting industry as lots of new hosts have emerged that charge unrealistic rates and cram thousands of people on a server only to have it crash constantly and drive their customers crazy.

An example of overselling is if you buy a reseller package with 1GB disk space and 1GB bandwidth. Then you sell 10 of your customers a hosting package with 1GB disk space and 1GB bandwidth. So you have sold 10GB of disk space and 10GB of bandwidth but only really have 1GB of each. This works because nobody uses the full amount of their hosting and lots is left over. This also works because disk space and bandwidth have gotten so cheap. What seems to be happening in the hosting industry is that what matters more on a hosting plan is how many people your host has jammed onto a server and if the CPU and memory can handle it.
Source: http://www.resellerguide.com/article...overselling/24
The problem starts to show up when suddenly all the 10 websites starts to gain a lot of visitors thus sucking a lot of bandwidth at a time, right?

Last edited by snakeair; 07-10-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: fixed quoted response

Old 07-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
The problem starts to show up when suddenly all the 10 websites starts to gain a lot of visitors thus sucking a lot of bandwidth at a time, right?
For a reseller the problem can start when any one of those clients hits the cpu limit for the reseller account. Any one site can run a rouge script and overload or crash the server.

I personally would consider your example to be one of gross overselling because there is no way the reseller can honor the commitment at that level of overselling.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

So the final verdict - unlimited hosting is still impossible, neither from DC owners, nor from resellers.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
So the final verdict - unlimited hosting is still impossible, neither from DC owners, nor from resellers.
I'm thinking of cloud hosting. I still don't know completely how it works. But I heard the unlimited concept fits here.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameerulislam View Post
I'm thinking of cloud hosting. I still don't know completely how it works. But I heard the unlimited concept fits here.
No cloud is infinite. There is a limit to how fast the company could add capability. Going to the extreme, there is a limit to the amount of connectivity existent in the world, at any point in time, and how fast new capabilities can be added. Submarine cables are one ready example. It takes years for such a project to come to fruition. Any cloud still relies on these, since it's not really conjured up out of thin air.

Last edited by ldcdc; 08-16-2011 at 09:45 AM.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, man, nothing is unlimited. Really. Since we need to use any matter for making andy computing, it will be limited by this matter.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiberForum View Post
Simply that is the best answer when your server resources are limited how can one give unlimited ?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Reseller Hosting