Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Reseller Hosting

Reseller Hosting Discuss reseller hosting opportunities and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 05-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Hostgator Acct Seems Slow

I have had a Hostgator reseller account on the same server for prob 6-8 years now, maybe more. Seems that sites I work on have been getting slower to respond and my clients are starting to complain that their sites are getting slow. So I can run the speed test so find problems with specific sites but I think server itself must be getting slower or the sites just demand more now.

So how can I check or what are my options to move or increase speed? The service has been pretty good although it seems the wait times for support have increased quite a bit over the past year although I rarely have problems. Seems the support guys on chat just go around in circles and take forever without solving anything so maybe its just time for a new host?

Or should I just duplicate one of my sites on another host and see if things improve?

After 30mins in support chat they told me this:

Code:
I suggest adding this code to your .htaccess file to enable caching: (6:01:41pm)Gordon L.:<IfModule mod_expires.c> # Enable expirations ExpiresActive On # Default directive ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 month" # My favicon ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access plus 1 month" # Images ExpiresByType image/gif "access plus 1 month" ExpiresByType image/png "access plus 1 month" ExpiresByType image/jpg "access plus 1 month" ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access plus 1 month" # CSS # Javascript ExpiresByType application/javascript "access plus 1 month" </IfModule>
Any tips to my clients happy?

thanks!!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-21-2013, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

I usually take a look at the YSlow plugin. That will score your site and give you a list of the items that could be causing the issues. Some things include cookieless domains, image optimization, JS and HTML minification, DOM reduction.....

Some Non-Web related issues: Internet connection speeds, Virus software on the machine, browser being used, performance of the web server.....

Old 05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I'm not a hosting server expert but you say you have had the same server for 6 to 8 years now. Have you upgraded the hardware or anything of that matter with regards to server spec's?

Do you think your software that you is running is outdated? I agree with the above posters response. I'm in the middle of working on my yslow issue's this week.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I'm not a hosting server expert but you say you have had the same server for 6 to 8 years now. Have you upgraded the hardware or anything of that matter with regards to server spec's?

Do you think your software that you is running is outdated? I agree with the above posters response. I'm in the middle of working on my yslow issue's this week.
I have a reseller acct at hostgator so I didn't upgrade anything so pretty sure I have been on the same server all this time. I sometimes a host will upgrade or notify you that your sites are being migrated to an upgraded server. Still shows 2 cpus in the server status section of cpanel.

Started checking all my sites with pingdom and few are really slow but some may be ok. So how do you check Yslow issues? I just found GTmetrix.com which has a "Page Speed" and "Yslow" tab so I am going to see if I can figure out how to correct those issues. Looks like they have help info & instructions on the site but haven't read through it yet.

Seems my wordpress sites with a lot of plugins & OpenCart sites are getting bad scores so I need to figure this out. The sites I make from scratch dreamweaver load fine.

So if I have a site on godaddy, then copy it to my acct at hostgator & maybe set up another at site5 or 1and1, what could I use to test them all to see which host is fastest?

thanks!!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualgeorge View Post
Seems my wordpress sites with a lot of plugins & OpenCart sites are getting bad scores so I need to figure this out.
Plugins and database run sites to cause them to run slower because of the time to process the instructions.

BTW: did you know that hackers have been bombing Wordpress sites trying to hack the admin account? Heavy traffic from these guys could slow a site down and they aren't just bombing Wordpress sites.

Old 06-09-2013, 03:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
BTW: did you know that hackers have been bombing Wordpress sites trying to hack the admin account? Heavy traffic from these guys could slow a site down and they aren't just bombing Wordpress sites.
Note that this alone can overload your wordpress accounts specially there has been recent word wide attacks on wordpress.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNetHosting View Post
Note that this alone can overload your wordpress accounts specially there has been recent word wide attacks on wordpress.
How can you tell if there have been attacks on your site?

Also, it seems that a few sites of mine that were really slow did improve when I updated everything so it was not just a slow server from hostgator.

One was an opencart site that has been hacked once or twice over the years and really couldn't figure out what was slowing things down so had to do a clean install & re-import everything and that seemed to correct things.

Got overly excited and blaming every one else when there was a problem when it was my own fault in neglecting my sites

Old 06-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I can tell from my cloudflare data since I'm using cloudflare.com on my blog. I don't use HG for a host but did in the past.

I know on the shared server I was on (HG), there was a few server issue's because of a few bad websites on my server. My wordpress blog was attacked a few weeks ago along with ton's of other people. Here some info about this: http://blog.sucuri.net/2013/05/w3-to...-the-wild.html

I use the WTC plugin. If you want to dicuss about this, start a thread.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualgeorge View Post
How can you tell if there have been attacks on your site?
If you have access to your server you can run the following command:

cat /var/log/nginx/access.log | grep "wp-login.php" | wc -l

Or you can simply avoid these attacks by renaming the admin user to something else, changing admin url or password protecting the the admin directory. You can also install plugins such as wp security.

Old 08-02-2013, 06:23 AM
v7n Mentor

Hey George,

There are a lot of people, myself included, that have had problems with HG lately. I waited around for 6 weeks for them to sort things out, but they weren't able to and I moved.

In my case the problems were intermittent. My load times were varying between 2 and 24 seconds on the same page within 5 minute windows. When I orginally spoke to them they acknowledged that they were having configuration issues on their servers. Towards the end though I got the idea that this was the new "norm".

I really like gtmetrix, the waterfall display is really helpful in figuring out what's causing your speed problems.

Billy

Old 08-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah I had the same issues, had to move as well. Switched to Bigscoots and so far has been the best support I have seen in my past 15 years of buying web hosting. A lot of companies are fast to respond to tickets but thats only half of it, they also have to be knowledgeable enough to give you the right answer/solution the first time.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Web Hosting Forum > Reseller Hosting

Closed Thread