Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 07-12-2009, 04:19 PM

SEO Assistance

Hi everyone,

I'm an artist and I've created my own website. Over the years, I've read strategies on SEO and have never really asked a question, but have read loads of useful posts and suggestions from experts and helpful people such as yourselves.

I'm trying to get my website up higher for the search term 'architectural renderings.' To a certain degree, I'm limited by my current gallery-type of design.

My main home page is PR4 and I have several PR4 and PR3 in deeper links.

I come up in Google as #7 position for the search term 'architectural renderings.' I pull up in the top 10 for about a hundred other search terms as well. However, I've never been able to get to the #1 or #2 spot and I am wondering if any of you have any professional advice as to what I can do differently to get there.

I've done the typical route of getting links from directories (business.com, DMOZ, Yahoo, etc.) I've validated my pages. I've received other backlinks. I've labeled all my heads, keywords, and titles (which I keep playing with.) I've also labeled all of my directories as well as alts and titles.

Does anyone have any clue how I could get higher in ranking with my gallery and main term short of having to do a complete redesign of the website?

All of your advice is greatly appreciated.

-Charles

P.S. - Any other advice for other engines as well is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Muddy; 07-19-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Link Removed

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM

I should add that I'm up against other companies who have paid for SEO that most likely do that professionally. Should I be satisfied with my current ranking? Is it really possible to get any higher or at this point, does it boil down to luck?

Old 07-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Hi there!

Other companies hire SEO services because they themselves doesn't have the time to do it on their own. Others are too busy running their ad campaigns, some are busy writing articles and press releases, and there are those who aren't just fond of learning SEO and since they have the money they just pay someone to do it for them.

About your site, in Dmoz takes a lot of time to be included so keep submitting to other quality web directories. Have you tried social media? In social bookmarking sites like digg and stumbleupon will be happy to have your posts. On the other hand, social networking sites like facebook and twitter are also good -- you just need to learn the ins and outs, why? Because you have to be a real person interacting with other members, unlike some webmasters who do spam posts.

About your keywords. Have you properly optimized them in your site's content? How about in the "alt" attribute in images? It's very important that your keywords are properly placed within the content. If the your site has very little content where you can't place your keywords, then you'll just have to add more content to be able to add more keywords. Just make sure you do not stuff the content with keywords.

Sitemaps. Do you have both xml and html sitemaps? If no, then you better start creating one! The html sitemap can be used or not, the purpose of this sitemap is more for the benefit of your visitors, so they can see (on one page) all your site's content and can easily jump from one topic to the other. Also, this html sitemap, which is usually placed on the footer, can help pass on PR juice to your inner pages. Remember that having a good internal link structure is important for a website.

However, the xml sitemap is a must. This is a sitemap that you must submit to search engines (google, yahoo and bing), the purpose of the xml sitemap is to let search engines know which page/s of your site is ready for indexing.

Suggestion: Having an article or press release section on your site can also help. How? Because search engines love fresh content! Each quality article you post has a chance of getting crawled, indexed and appear in SERPs. Giving your site more exposure, because if all pages are properly optimized they'll have the chance of appearing in SERP. You can have two or three of your pages appear in SERP using just one search term! Isn't that cool!?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Thank you for your response. I have done all that you have mentioned.

I paid for a press release before for Architecture Week and it generated a decent amount of traffic. Does anyone know of any other Press Release websites that are good?

Any other suggestions?

Old 07-12-2009, 06:45 PM
Contributing Member

Press release? I always submit mine on free press release distribution sites. Here are some press release sites that I've used before: http://mashable.com/2007/10/20/press-releases/

Btw, have you tried blogging? Blogs are also great for generating traffic -- you can even earn through adsense

Keep building quality backlinks and good luck!

Old 07-13-2009, 03:50 AM
Banned

Really good work dude. it is little difficult task to reach that position quick. becoz competitor also working for their site. focus on your main keyword and use that as a anchor text for comment posting on blogs. tat ll help you.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:28 AM
Banned

Good work dude. According to the latest updates in the Google algorithm, the domain age plays a vital role, as I understand, your domain is registered on 18-Aug-2003.Now, thats a pretty old domain,so thats a good thing for you. All the tasks that you perform are just fine and exactly what needs to be done.The only thing I would suggest you is keep adding good quality fresh and unique content to your website.Increase the submission to directories.To gain even more exposure, you can use social networking and attract traffic.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:27 AM
v7n Mentor

You know recently I came across a little trick for seeing who has the most backlinks with a certain key term. It is an inanchor search and Google will tell you who has the most/best backlinks for the term "'architectural renderings". I did the search and you came up 5th out of 100k sites using that key term when linkbuilding. If you want to be first build more links with that phrase and you will begin rising. You can do the search by typing into Google:

inanchor:"'architectural renderings" and it will show you who and how many other websites have those keywords within their backlinks.

If you would like to read about the inanchor search and how it works here is a link:
http://www.googleguide.com/advanced_....html#inanchor

Old 07-13-2009, 12:02 PM

affordable web services

Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the volume or quality of traffic to a web site from search engines via "organic" or "algorithmic" search results.

Last edited by Muddy; 07-19-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Link Removed

Old 07-14-2009, 01:34 PM

Does the press release require to be begun simultaneously with the SEO?? Or later??

Last edited by Muddy; 07-19-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Link Removed

Old 07-15-2009, 12:53 AM
Contributing Member

SEO Assistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarstudio View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm an artist and I've created my own website. Over the years, I've read strategies on SEO and have never really asked a question, but have read loads of useful posts and suggestions from experts and helpful people such as yourselves.

I'm trying to get my website up higher for the search term 'architectural renderings.' To a certain degree, I'm limited by my current gallery-type of design.

My main home page is PR4 and I have several PR4 and PR3 in deeper links.

I come up in Google as #7 position for the search term 'architectural renderings.' I pull up in the top 10 for about a hundred other search terms as well. However, I've never been able to get to the #1 or #2 spot and I am wondering if any of you have any professional advice as to what I can do differently to get there.

I've done the typical route of getting links from directories (business.com, DMOZ, Yahoo, etc.) I've validated my pages. I've received other backlinks. I've labeled all my heads, keywords, and titles (which I keep playing with.) I've also labeled all of my directories as well as alts and titles.

Does anyone have any clue how I could get higher in ranking with my gallery and main term short of having to do a complete redesign of the website?

All of your advice is greatly appreciated.

-Charles

P.S. - Any other advice for other engines as well is greatly appreciated.

www.lunarstudio.com
Dear Lunarstudio,

I am aware about the SEO knowledge you have, but i would suggest your some other seo tips about the top 1 or 2 ranking for your website.

optimize your website content and copy wright
Use footer links for your targeted keywords.
do more keyword research and check your competitors,
meta tags optimization

more to come

Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Thanks guys for all of your kind words and compliments. I started off in web design long ago and eventually migrated to 3d. The good thing is I know a bit about websites so that serves as an aid. And since I had little money starting out, I was forced to do my own website then get into search engine marketing as I suck as a business man lol.

Honestly, I hate making websites for other people now lol. From my experience, so much work for such little money - especially if you want to make something 'look' good.

SEO is actually quite fun. I think to be good you really have to have willing partners/clients and some patience.

I do perform a healthy amount of research regarding my competitors and what their search terms and keywords are - because I figured they're running a business and know what terms people are search for most as well.

Alexa used to have a good tool for looking up similar keyword phrases, and it also told you what the most searched terms for a category was. My most common phrase happened to be 'architectural renderings' so I've built my site around that phrase and the rest of the results are collateral.

I looked up one of my competitors (searched for URL name, and also URL + 'Links'), and he seemed to have enrolled in one of those sites that puts your link on the main page of a dozen junk pages. That boosted him but then those pages seems to have been downgraded by Google. Now I think he's just grandfathered. Then I noticed he had about 225 backlinks from other reciprocal websites.

225 links... Such a tremendous number.

So I spent all of last night writing those people and seeing if we could do some sort of link exchange. I ended up filtering out most people that showed 0 on the Google Toolbar for Pagerank. The rest I wrote.

I also took a couple of your suggestions and wrote a few Press Releases to see what they would do. I noticed one of them appeared up top of search results for a few days. I think in some ways it works similar to a backlink for websites that would normally have low PR.

But yeah I've been floating around the top 10 the last few days. I think I made a mistake in renaming 4 of my HTML pages that had PR4 on them and now the website is in a state of dancing.

In between all of this, I just fool around with word arrangements, changing the titles, changing the descriptions, sitemap frequency and priority, and internal linking. So the site has been going up and down in results from week to week.

@Saurabhg - As for Domain name age, I believe Matt Cutts recently said in the Youtube Google Webmaster's channel that age domain didn't play much if any factor in determining a domain's ranking. I think on the other hand, if your site has been in DMOZ for a very long time as well as other directories, you probably are referenced by more websites over time and would generally have more links because you've simply been around longer.

@P.O.S. - Yeah, I have three blogs going and another website but they're not ranked as high. I occasionally link back to my main website. I just lack time to write recently.

In summary, the general advice I mostly understand (I think), what I could really use is SPECIFIC advice at this point to go up a spot or two. Like 'change this' or 'this is wrong' lol.

I just can't seem to crack the very top spots and it's really annoying. Before my website redesign a couple of months ago, I did sit at #3 for a while.

Old 07-21-2009, 03:02 PM

great response by P.O.S....also suggest getting your articles published in online industry newsletters, if feasible. Don't know how much textual content you have on your gallery pages but ensure each page is unique, contains your primary and secondary keyword phrases and is not diluted by too many other keyword targets. Have you considered offering a discussion forum on your site?

Old 07-22-2009, 02:07 AM
Contributing Member

In addition to the matter of improving your web rankings, you can also think of boosting your web traffic regardless of its current positions and placements.

For instance article submission and renting advertising spots on some portals could lead hits towards your site.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum