Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

Share |
Old 01-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Banned

Ranking to two letter words

Hello Guyz,

I'm facing some issues trying to rank for a particular search term but one of the words is a 2 letter word which is also on the stop list.

Can any SEO guru give me some advice on this.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 01:22 PM

One word keywords are really tough to rank for. You would essentially need a lot of links with that particular word (think "failure" with Bush' bio page). If it's an acronym, Google will try to interpret it and bring back diverse results that pertain to several meanings. You may want to take advantage of that.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:38 PM

It's doesnt metter to use 1 or 2 keyword...
Most important, choose a relevant of keyword and do seo better...

Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 AM
Banned

None of these posts seem to help me what so ever.

"AB Keyword Keyword" is what I want to rank for but the AB is an acronym and using the acronym tag never made much difference. I even see the search engines not highlighting AB in the snippets when I search.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:57 AM

It depends on the search volume and the competition of the keyword

Old 01-16-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

when the competition for any keyword is high or you are trying to optimize any generalized keywords, you will have to work for quite a while for that . Consistent worl for some days would solve your problem

Old 01-16-2010, 09:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Just to let you know this would be much easier if you gave us the exact keyword/words you are trying to rank for. I will try to help anyway. There are several different problems with trying to rank for any given keyword and usually apply to one, two, and three + words. The problem with trying to rank for any keyword is who else is trying to rank for that keyword. This will be the biggest issue. I have heard that the more words the easier, but if you have a phrase with four keywords getting 500k monthly search volume and a two word phrase getting 10k monthly search volume which will be easier to rank for? The two word phrase of course. I found this when trying to rank for how to make money online after I reached the top page for make money online free. I figured by adding another word it would be easier to rank for, but since the search volume was much greater for the longer phrase it turned out to be much more difficult to reach top ten. So this will be your first goal is to use https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal and see what the monthly search volume is. The next step is to do a simple google search for your keywords and look at the top ten running them through yahoos site explorer to check the volume of backlinks they have. If they are up in the hundreds of thousands you might as well forget about ranking well for the term unless you have the time or money to build this amount of backlinks. The next check you will want to run is through Google and you will actually be looking at the sites which are using the key term in the anchor tags when they are link building. This is one of my favorite searches and I have found it invaluable when trying to figure out how to rank well for a term. Go to google and type in inanchor:"Your Keywords" and hit search. This will bring up the sites which have built links for the keywords make sure to spend time looking at the sites and checking how many backlinks these sites have been building.

So you now have an idea of how competitive the keyword is and you should have a good idea about your competition and the amount of backlinks they have. While looking at these sites look for the big names wikis, .edus, ect. These competitors have an immediate advantage and will be very tough to beat. They can be topped, but it takes a long time so don't expect anything to quick.

Lets move on to what you should be doing. The first thing is never focus all of your energy on 1 term. Use the adwords tool I gave you earlier and pick 10 keywords with a monthly search volume of at least 5k. This way if you loose one word you will have backups and still be gaining traffic. The next step is to put those 10 words/terms throughout your content making sure not to stuff. Personally I never go over 10% that is my rule some believe 5% and some 7%. If you go way up into the 20+ range you will probably be penalized for keywords stuffing and not rank well for nothing at all. Ok so your content is now keyword rich, but not stuffed the next step is to place your most wanted keyword into your title making sure the title is relevant to your niche and website. You should fill all of your metas title, keywords, and description for all pages that you want as landing pages. This means letting visitors hit your site from any sub page and they are in the right spot make sure the navigation is good as well so when they hit that page they can navigate easily around your website. If you are in a highly competitive niche it would also be a good idea to have plenty of content with highly relevant content. For this look to article directories that allow you to publish the articles free and start placing relevant articles on your site or write the content yourself just be sure to keep a steady stream of fresh content to the site. You should think about adding a niche article directory. Anyway this should handle your on site seo and content. If you don't know about seo read this tutorial~ http://www.webconfs.com/seo-tutorial/

The next step is to start building backlinks and this is one of the most important steps and will take a bit of your time. Remember the numbers you got earlier from yahoos site explorer that should be the number you are shooting for. To make a backlinks help you rank well for a certain term the term will need to be inbetween the anchor tags. To do this go:
Code:
<a href="http://yoururl.com">YOUR KEYWORDS YOU WOULD LIKE TO RANK WELL FOR</a>
this is the driving force behind ranking well if you gain enough backlinks then you will be number one as long as you have good fresh quality content.

Now it is great saying build some backlinks, but really the how is quite difficult. There are several websites out there that will build links for you for a price, but personally I do all of my link building myself. Here are several resources which will let you build as many backlinks as you want:

Directories: http://www.directorycritic.com

Social Bookmarking: http://marketing-a-website.blogspot....-websites.html

Article Directories: http://www.masonworld.com/masonworld...irectory-rank/

Do Follow Blog Search Engine (NO SPAM): http://advancedseo.nickopedia.com/20...search-engine/

Anyway this should help you reach the top of Google for whatever you want to.

I want to apologize in advance for my bad grammer I am really tired.

Last edited by kbeus21; 01-16-2010 at 09:11 AM.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

try to get all you link indexed by search engine... and use quality backlinks

Old 01-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Banned

its not an easy to do seo becz it takes more time understant

Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

kbeus - GREAT post there. I agree with all of that, and would like to add a couple more ideas for getting building backlinks.

Forums: find the largest forums by topic in this forum directory: http://www.big-boards.com/ Remember to make the backlinks as relevant to your site and keywords as possible, and remember NOT to spam. Use this FireFox plugin to see if the Forum is DoFollow. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5687

Press Releases: There are a lot of sites, such as http://i-newswire.com, and http://www.prurgent.com/ that allow you to submit press releases for free. These Press Releases end up with good PR and you can attach a link to the bottom that is a highly relevant link from a site with decent authority.

Spy: Use http://seopro.com.au/free-seo-tools/link-checker/ that link checker to see where your competition gets links and use their ideas. Be careful, if they have been around a while they might have used some tactics that don't work anymore.

AVOID: Link farms and other "manipulative shortcuts" that Google frowns upon.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Banned

The competition has no backlinks that really make much of an impact.

I have more with higher PR & We are listed in Dmoz.

Sorry the phrase is IT Support Glasgow. IT is causing the issues and we rank well for Information Technology Support Glasgow.

I thought google would rank us well for IT if we rank well for the full word.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

It is normally not easy to rank for one or two word keywords as almost all websites would have these as part of their content and search engines just prefer to ignore them as it may take them forever to index and rank.

Instead of the acronym, work on the full text.

Backlinks are just one of the ranking factors...You cannot rank simply because of backlinks, other factors need to be considered as well.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportivhost View Post
None of these posts seem to help me what so ever.

"AB Keyword Keyword" is what I want to rank for but the AB is an acronym and using the acronym tag never made much difference. I even see the search engines not highlighting AB in the snippets when I search.
Is "AB" the actual acronym? If not, could you post the acronym - might help someone to offer a suggestion or work around.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CReed View Post
Is "AB" the actual acronym? If not, could you post the acronym - might help someone to offer a suggestion or work around.
If you read further down I have

Old 01-16-2010, 05:35 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supportivhost View Post
If you read further down I have
Sorry - missed it.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I really don't think that you need to do anything different. You might just need to be more aggressive with your link building since you will most likely need alot of these in order to get to the top. I currently rank number #2 for this one word term but the funny thing is that I have not even been targeting this term, so I guess it is just the luck of the draw.

I would just keep building links with the needed anchor text and hope for the best.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
v7n Mentor

I'd have to agree with the advice given; work on the quality of your inbound links and target your preferred terms. Allow for some variation so that there is not a sudden increase in links utilizing the same anchor text.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Banned

I guess optimizing 2 letter word keyword is very hard since they are considered as stop words on Google.

Old 01-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Banned

Yes,

Thats why I am needing some help.When you even do a search with the keypharse its like IT gets ignored.

This is what I need help with

Old 01-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Banned

I think your site is ranking in the search engine for your keyword phrase instead of keyword. please put some more seo effort to get in your website for your required keyword.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum