I think I will attempt to answer this question "what is organic traffic and how do I get it".
I think of Organic traffic strictly as gained by search engines and the reason for this is Google Analytics. They show traffic from directories as referral traffic example (copy and paste from my GA): asianwebdirectory.com / referral
On the other hand when traffic is gained from search engines it is shown as so:
google / organic or yandex / organic
Now how to gain organic traffic on the other hand is not so easily answered. I will try to cover the basics here, but you should probably look towards some industry leaders in SEO for more info. One tutorial I usually give when someone is wanting to learn SEO is http://www.webconfs.com/seo-tutorial/
It will give you the basics. The blogs that I usually keep up on is www.seomoz.com
, and http://blog.v7n.com/
. This forum of course taught me quite a bit
Anyway what I learned was first to create a website, blog, forum, or other presence. Make sure the content is worth visiting and the presence will actually help those searching for your site. The next step is on site SEO. A couple basic things that I do with my on site SEO is:
1. Create fresh content often
2. Think about keywords when creating the content making sure that it will be both related to the website and searched for.
3. Work on internal Linking I make sure that every page of my website, blogs, and forum link back to the home page with my top priority keywords. One way to do this is get rid of the "home page" in your navigation and replace it with your websites title (which hopefully is one of your main search terms).
4. Never sacrifice readership, look, or your main goal to satisfy traffic by over using SEO, links, keywords ect.
5. Use meta tags (at least the title and description) on all pages that are suitable for landing. Here is a little info on landing pages~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landing_page
Now after your website is created and you are updating it with content or products depending on your niche it is time to step out onto the web and let the world know you exist. Last year I would have said build a lot of links, but now I say work on a brand as well as link building.
Make your website, title, or your name well known within your industry. Work with people that own presences within your niche try to become an industry expert so when you do produce content it will be automatically linked to by the rest of your industry.
^This is very difficult to do so at first you may want to consider some basic link building using directories, article directories, blogs, social networking, bookmarking, the list goes on. For link building one tip is to make sure the website you are gaining the backlink from is relevant and authoritative. You should also have keywords between your anchor tags example:
<a href="www.yoururl.com">YOUR KEYWORDS</a>
Don't put your URL or keywords that you are not trying to rank well for. If you are not sure where to get links I put a list together which I use: http://free-web-traffic.comuf.com/pa...backlinks.html
anyway I hope this was at least a little helpful.