Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

Letís Go Fishing! Whatcha Got For Link Bait?

Attracting links naturally by providing content so interesting or unique that people link to you is the best way to get links. But if most of the threads in SEO forums are any indication, people spend a lot more time on forum posts, blog commenting, article and press release writing than they do on creating compelling content.

Iím not sure why we do this. We know content is king, why do we spend so much time generating backlinks offsite when we could get so many more, higher quality links if we have the right link bait on our site?

Perhaps we just donít think weíre creative enough to come up with a winning idea. Perhaps we think too big and assume it has to ďgo viralĒ to be a success.

Letís toss some ideas around and see if we can help each other come up with some ideas for link bait. Share an idea or tell us when you last gave away a link and why. Letís get our creative juices flowing.

Here are some ideas:
  • Give away something of value for free (an e-book? a consultation?)
  • Be the first to write about news in your field
  • Develop a tool and share it
  • Interview someone famous in your field and publish the article on your own site
  • Get controversial Ė start a debate
  • Run a Contest

What can you add to this list? Can you share a success youíve had with attracting links naturally? Or something you saw you wish you had thought up yourself? Or an idea that wonít work for your site, but might for someone elseís.

Show us what youíve got under that thinking cap!

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

I know someone has some link bait success to share ... or an idea for one ...

Old 03-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
Hi,

Just a very simple question, I know Content is King, but what if the website is static?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

What do you mean by static?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:30 PM
v7n Mentor

Even if your website is static you can create an article directory where you publish your content. Keep the template and publish articles which has really helped my website. Here is what my article directory looks like on my static website~ http://makemoneyfree.comuv.com/artic...directory.html it is not really big since I started only a month or two ago, but about once a week I add an article which helps my position in Google.

Now with the link bait my best experiance is when I spent a couple days creating a list of the top social bookmarking websites ranking them all and giving a description. It is not something easily duplicated and as of right now the post itself is ranked higher than the main blog URL. This is also where I give the most links out to if I see someone creating a big list one that needs to be bookmarked I will give it out whether on forums, my blog, my site, or wherever. Some of the big lists include the thousands of free directories over at directory critic and the article directory list that is at http://www.masonworld.com/masonworld...irectory-rank/ if you notice the page rank is three just one behind the main page masonworld.com.

So if I could add something to your list I would add big lists

Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Static means where we don't add much of content regularly, it can be a company website regarding the information or services. And usually the content is added only once.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeus21 View Post
Even if your website is static you can create an article directory where you publish your content. Keep the template and publish articles which has really helped my website.
Why would someone create an article directory for static website? It does suits with your niche as you need to update on money making ideas, but on other static websites keeping an article directory sounds odd to me.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

My question should have read: why would your web site be static? What sort of site would not benefit from additional content? Offhand, I can't think of a topic that has no related news, can you?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Well I don't want to confuse it just came in my mind after reading

Quote:
people spend a lot more time on forum posts, blog commenting, article and press release writing than they do on creating compelling content.
Just thought what to do with static websites!

Old 03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Well, again, why would any website need to be static?

Are you saying that as an SEO, you aren't in a position to help your clients by suggesting compelling content that will attract links?

And even if that is the case, perhaps you could *imagine* what sort of content you could add to that static site *if* you could add something and share that with us.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Are you saying that as an SEO, you aren't in a position to help your clients by suggesting compelling content that will attract links?
Yes I always suggest, but there are so many cases clients aren't interested in changing or adding a content they just need SEO done on their website and get backlinks. Yes I do agree with you quality content attract people to link to it (link bait).

Getting Back on Track
Here is my idea to get a link bait,

I usually research the top searched keywords which are of hot topic and then search information about it, this works out well if you make a quality content. I got a backlink on link wheels topic by following this idea and later on content was shared on other websites as well.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

for it doesn't matter if it is a static site of dynamic. As long as your site has a high quality content using a competitive keywords

Old 03-09-2010, 03:20 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
  • Create a glossary specific to your niche; provide professionally translated copies as well (worth the cost ).
  • Compile a list of industry/reference resources (government, professional associations, academic departments, institutions, trade organizations, licensing agencies).
  • Create annual or other statistical reports showing industry sales figures, customer demographics and trends. Provide graphs, charts or other visuals.
  • Create a page of simple tutorials.
  • Create an award - in some niches there are still those who crave a little recognition. Create a list of the recipients and provide a small blurb about each recipient.
  • Join professional or other trade associations; some provide lists of members with links to their sites.
  • Submit a few articles about your business or company to your local newspaper; include a link to your website. Many newspapers have online editions and provide links.
  • Create a "bookshelf" or "library" and list books and periodicals related to your niche.
  • Review products from your niche or industry. Do an actual in depth product review with images or diagrams. Drop test an item from the neighbors roof and host the video. Place a trailer/teaser on YouTube with a link to your site to see the whole video and ending.
  • Coin a silly term or acronym - in keeping with the whole do follow craze, how about "YouFollow"
    YouFollow - A trailer/teaser on YouTube that viewers can follow on over to your site.
    Be sure to add them to the glossary you created earlier.

What ever you do, get creative!

Old 03-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woogley View Post
for it doesn't matter if it is a static site of dynamic. As long as your site has a high quality content using a competitive keywords
The confusion over what was meant by the word static has been cleared up above.

It was used in reference to a website that is not updated often as far as content goes. i.e. static content.

It was not meant to refer to the technology used to build the site.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:10 PM

I think run a contest with great prize will work great for link back source.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CReed View Post
  • Create a glossary specific to your niche; provide professionally translated copies as well (worth the cost ).
  • Compile a list of industry/reference resources (government, professional associations, academic departments, institutions, trade organizations, licensing agencies).
  • Create annual or other statistical reports showing industry sales figures, customer demographics and trends. Provide graphs, charts or other visuals.
  • Create a page of simple tutorials.
  • Create an award - in some niches there are still those who crave a little recognition. Create a list of the recipients and provide a small blurb about each recipient.
  • Join professional or other trade associations; some provide lists of members with links to their sites.
  • Submit a few articles about your business or company to your local newspaper; include a link to your website. Many newspapers have online editions and provide links.
  • Create a "bookshelf" or "library" and list books and periodicals related to your niche.
  • Review products from your niche or industry. Do an actual in depth product review with images or diagrams. Drop test an item from the neighbors roof and host the video. Place a trailer/teaser on YouTube with a link to your site to see the whole video and ending.
  • Coin a silly term or acronym - in keeping with the whole do follow craze, how about "YouFollow"
    YouFollow - A trailer/teaser on YouTube that viewers can follow on over to your site.
    Be sure to add them to the glossary you created earlier.
What ever you do, get creative!
Those are some great ideas, CReed! The first five are especially imaginative.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I think I'll try the "free giveaways" since most people opt for free services on the net.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
is that mean like portofolio or company profile??

Old 03-15-2010, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

What is a static website??

Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerbook View Post
is that mean like portofolio or company profile??
Quote:
Originally Posted by toorhamza View Post
What is a static website??
Referring to static versus dynamic.

An example of a static site could be a site constructed for the sale of an e-book, with excerpts, TOS, ordering/purchasing, author biography, etc., which once established, will change little or not at all.

A dynamic site, on the other hand, could be a site like a news site, or even a blog, that changes often, with the addition of new content. Such change may be automatic, using feeds, or may be manual, such as in the case of a typical blog.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum