Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-17-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day:Friday, Sept. 17, 2010 - Guest Bloggers Networking Site

Want to gain some recognition, connect with a new audience, build your brand and get some links for your site? Guest blogging is a great way to do that – but how do you find a blog that wants your post? You can go the long route – search for blogs in your niche, establish a relationship, and ask them to let you post, or you can join this My Blog Guest, a community of blog owners and guest bloggers.

Sign up, set your topic, and you will be able to connect to blog owners looking for content in your niche. There’s a forum with a category, "Looking for guests" and you can post what you have to offer in Looking for blogs" A basic membership is free, but premium membership offers an Articles Gallery to post articles for others to publish.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 09-20-2010 at 04:51 AM. Reason: adjusting date of tip

Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Sept. 18, 2010 - Find A Mentor

When I started (and even now) the most confusing aspect of SEO is working out the fact from fiction, there are a lot of people out there who freely offer inaccurate advice on blogs and forums, which makes the learning process much longer and harder than it needs to be.

Find a couple of people online who you feel are honest and experienced, then read their forum posts and blogs, respond to them, question them and get to know them, it will speed up your learning curve massively, and save you a lot of time in the long term.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 09-18-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: change title

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Sept. 19, 2010 - Why No-Follow Matters

*sips on fresh hot coffee*

Todays tip is as follows:

What is No-Follow and Why Does It Matter? (Note, do not answer this question in this thread)

Quote:
The nofollow attribute, introduced by Google in 2005, is of huge importance – and those who are engaged in link building would do well to pay attention to this attribute. If a website uses the “nofollow” attribute in its site for their external links, then Google will not award any credit in the form of Page Rank to the recipient website. Any boosting of your website’s ranking comes from followed links which pass link juice. If you are spending a lot of time building your links but not seeing any increase in Page Rank, you may be working with sites which have blocked search engines from taking those links into consideration for calculating your search ranking.

The reason for this is abuse. Spammers used to get....
Continued at: http://www.submitedge.com/blog/seo-r...oes-it-matter/

If you would like to talk about this current SEO tip of the day topic, please create a thread.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Sept. 20, 2010 - What Is the Color of Your Link?

SEOs spend a fair amount of time analyzing the value of an incoming link. How close is it to the top of the page? Is there toolbar PR on the page? What kind of traffic does the page or site get? What’s the site’s Alexa ranking? How far is the linking page from the home page? But how often do you consider the color of the link?

If you study a recent patent (http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...S=PN/7,716,225) awarded to Google, link color may well be considered by Google – and not just to detect hidden links.

An analysis of a patent offered by Eric Ward on SearchEngineLand.com drew significant discussion by industry names Bill Slawski of SEObytheSea and Shari Thurlow.

Slawski:

Quote:
3. The patent specifically mentions the possibility that a link might be devalued because it is the same color as its background, but that’s just one example of a broader category – chances are that differences in color between text and links could have other implications as well.
Another comment by asefati:

Quote:
On the link color note I think that is very accurate observation. Google has said it many time “write content for users” so obviously it is a good practice for the link to have a different color than the text and background color so users can see it or even bold and stand out.
Read the entire discussion, which covers more than link color: http://searchengineland.com/5-things...ut-links-45797

Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Sept. 21, 2010 - Why Are You Interested In SEO?

Advice For New SEOs - Traversing the Maze

If you’re just starting out in SEO you may be overwhelmed by the breadth (if not the depth) of information. Sorting out fact from fiction, truth from opinion can be daunting. Zdnet’s article, 3.14159265 Things to Consider if You are New to/Interested in SEO‎, attempts to help newer SEOs map their plan of attack in learning and applying their new skills.

First of all, set your goals, Stephen Chapman says. Ask Yourself? Why Am I Interested in SEO?

Quote:
A. I own my own business and I’ve heard SEO may very well help me generate new leads and earn revenue.
B. I want to make money online and I’ve heard SEO is a great way to do it.
C. I own a Web site and thought I should start paying attention to this “SEO” stuff.
D. It’s required for my job.
E. Is it lunch time yet?
Chapman goes on to advise readers what to do depending on their answer, and to offer some excellent resources – which bloggers and which sites to beleive and follow, plus which tactics to avoid.

Read the entire post: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/seo/314159...ted-in-seo/191.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2010 - Followed Link From Facebook Profile

Get a followed link from the Facebook profile page spidered by search engine bots. By changing your privacy settings to allow Everyone to see your website, your URL will appear as a followed link on your public profile.

Under Account, select Privacy Settings | Customize Settings. Then select Everyone for your website under Things I Share. And you’re done! Your public Facebook profile will now have a followed link to your website.

Note: as long as you are logged in, your links will not be followed, but if you logout and look at your profile you will be able to view your page as the search engine robots see it.

More details and thanks to http://www.seorankings.com/how-to-ge...-from-facebook for this tip.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Sept. 23, 2010 - Are You An Instant Loser?

Real Data Is In: How Google Instant Can Help (And Hurt) SEO

TechCrunch reports that after a couple weeks of mere speculation , there is some real data on Google Instant Search and its potential impact - both good and bad - on SEO.

The author, Eli Feldblum of Drive, article looks at 3 predictions that were made for their site --
  • Real Estate is at a Premium
  • Long Tail Compression
  • The Google Prude Paradox
-- whether they have come to pass for their site, and what to do about it.

For example, Long Tail Compression seems to have a significant impact, and here’s what Feldblum suggests as a course of action:

Quote:
Firstly, take a deep look at your analytics. Find out which tail keyword phrases have stopped generating traffic, despite ranking well, and stop optimizing those phrases, shifting to your attention to the more popular variations of those phrases that are still generating traffic—and likely generating much more of it. Follow up with some keyword research—using Instant—to discover other popular varieties of those keywords that are showing up In Instant suggestions.
Google Instant Losers:

For more info on tracking the impact of GI with analytics see this tip.

Read the entire article.

If you want to discuss this, you might want to join the discussion here:
http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...-you-type.html or if you have actual data on GI, do feel free to start a new thread.

Old 09-24-2010, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Sept. 24, 2010 - Why Social Media Matters for SEO

Think social media has no SEO value because most links are "nofollowed" from sites such as Twitter and Digg? Think again! Social networking site can bring followed links – if a little indirectly. Many of the tips that make this thread and articles that get linked from this and many other forums and blogs are first discovered through social sites. When I don’t have a clue what to add to this thread or I want a topic for a new one, I type SEO in the search bar, select “Latest” and watch the live feed from blogs and Twitter. Today I found Derek Edmond’s post: 5 Reasons Social Media Should Be a Part of Your SEO Strategy and, voilà, Edmond's article now has a followed link obtained through social media.

Edmond's five "official" reasons for giving social a whirl:
  1. Brand-Based Search Results (Reputation Management)
  2. Understand Link-Friendly Content Strategies
  3. Connect with Content Publishers - this one worked today!
  4. Connect with Connectors
  5. Social Media’s Influence on the Search Space
Edmund also debunks the lack of value in a nofollow link:

Quote:
With respect to “nofollow” attributes, if a link building strategy places no value on these type of links, there are points being missed. No one would argue against being referenced in Wikipedia (which uses nofollow). Nofollow’d links can still provide direct traffic and even customers, especially when they are used (appropriately) to provide solutions and answers in niche communities.
Read the entire article, including an "unofficial 6th reason" to get more socially optimized: http://www.komarketingassociates.com...-seo-strategy/.

Old 09-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Sept. 25, 2010 - Cross Browser Compatibility

One thing that will kill some traffic is your website itself. Is it cross browser campatible? Don't just code your site for the browser that you are using, code it for the top browsers that you hear about all the time. If you do not code your own site then the next time you outsource some coding stuff, ask that coder to make sure your site is cross browser supported. First impression is a big thing and if your site is not suited for Firefox then that one visitor may not come back because he or she will think your site is poorly coded. A lot of people only use one browser and most of the time will not open a different browser just to navigate a website. If you don't care, then don't make any changes. Take a look at this blog post for todays SEO tip of the day. (the above post was my opinion)

Cross Browser Compatibility

Quote:
Once upon a time, Internet Explorer (IE) was the ultimate browsing dominator. This browser completely monopolized the internet – but things have changed. Instead of just one browser in the internet industry (which made it much easier for web designers and webmasters to build websites) it is now necessary to take into account that new websites and old work well with multiple browser types.

Formerly, coding one’s own website was much simpler because it had to satisfy only the IE specifications. Now there are so many browsers that a professional is often needed; the IE only era is over, and internet users are turning to other browsers such as...
Continued at: Cross Browser Compatibility

If you have any comments about this SEO tip of the day, please create a thread about this topic and post your thoughts. Let's not turn this sticky into a conversation.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Sept. 26, 2010 - How Critical is Page Speed?

I was just reading some blog posts on Doc's blog (V7N Super Mod) and a blog post of his caught my attention. As you all know by now (hopefully) that page speed is something that all of us need to work on right now. For starters, if your site is loading really slow, your visitors may get annoyed and stop visiting eventually. That's not a good thing if you are trying to make money off your site.

Check out Doc's blog post and also watch the video if you have not watched it by now.

Quote:
When Google announced a while back, that page speed was going to be a factor from now on, panic was born on blogs and forums all over the ‘net. Conjecture ran out of control (I’m surprised… I don’t recall seeing any “SEO is DEAD!” posts), as some of the SEO community – and by some, I mean most – scurried to optimize images, insert Java scripts, and compare their site’s speed to that of their competitors.

After a couple of weeks, some new shiny object caught folks’ eyes, and the furor calmed down a little. Many of the saltier SEOs kept their cool, as they’d...
Continued at: How Critical is Page Speed?

If you have any comments about this blog post, just submit a comment on Doc's blog.

We have a few threads already on page speed. Feel free to search them out if you would like to provide some good tips or other resources to use. Don't forget to read the previous replies so you will not repeat an answer.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Sept. 27, 2010 - Building Links That Matter

Tonights SEO tip of the day is from the Youmoz blog. A member in the SEOmoz community wrote this blog post. Make sure you read all of it.

Building Links That Matter
Quote:
Have you ever finished a large link-building project and have been disappointed by the results? Did you ever feel the links you got weren’t working?

Well, you’re not alone. The primary reason I’ve found people run into a link problem like this, is that they fail to understand that it’s not only that links matter, but that not all links matter equally. Sure, everyone in the search engine community understands that links are important. Not everyone understands though just how they are evaluated by search engines and how disproportionately different seemingly similar link profiles can be (hah! say that tongue-twister!)

So let’s talk a bit about the kind of links you should actually be trying to get not only to collect links, but to rank.
Continued at: Building Links That Matter

Keep in mind, the content that is talked about in this blog post is basic stuff that we all should know by now, but once and awhile we all need a refresher's course. Feel free to make a comment on the blog itself if you wish to add more information.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Sept. 28, 2010 - The Metrics of Success

Here is Tonights Tip. I forgot to update this thread before i left this morning. Better late then never.

The Metrics of Success

Quote:
In SEO, metrics matter. If you fail to keep track of the metrics or interpret them, you will not be able rework your SEO strategies to achieve better results.Once you have identified the weakest pages, you must make necessary efforts to boost those weak pages so that you have a well-balanced ranking for the entire website. If you want to be successful in your business, you should learn to interpret the metrics to make it possible to improve the results.

Your website statistics will give you lot of information regarding the behavior of....
Continued at: The Metrics of Success

Feel free to post your thoughts on the blog itself or create a NEW thread in our SEO section to discuss this even more.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 09-29-2010, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Sept. 29, 2010 - Updated Google SEO Starter Guide

Google updated its SEO Starter Guide this week: download the new version now.

SearchEngineLand reports on what's new in the guide:

Quote:
In particular, Google added a glossary of definitions and terms, additional example images to support the content in the guide, mobile devices optimization techniques and clearer wording for better readability. Google has also translated the SEO starter guide in over 40 languages.
Source: http://searchengineland.com/google-r...er-guide-51759

Old 09-30-2010, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010 - SEO Guide For Wordpress

Got a blog that needs SEO help? Yoast has a very comprehensive guide to optimizing your wordpress blog:

The Definitive Guide To Higher Rankings For Your Blog

It covers everything from basic technical SEO to conversion and comment optimization. The table of contents outlines the guide beautifully and is an example of optimization in and of itself:

Quote:

1. The Definitive Guide To Higher Rankings For Your Blog
1. 1. Basic technical optimization
1. 1.1. Permalinks
2. 1.3. Optimize your Descriptions
3. 1.4. Optimize the More text
4. 1.5. Image Optimization
2. 2. Template Optimization
1. 2.1. Breadcrumbs
2. 2.2. Headings
3. 2.3. Clean up your code
4. 2.4. Aim for speed
5. 2.5. Rethink that Sidebar
6. 3.1. Noindex, follow archive pages
7. 3.2. Disable unnecessary archives
8. 3.3. Pagination
9. 3.4. Nofollowing unnecessary links
3. 4. A site structure for high rankings
1. 4.1. Pages instead of posts
2. 4.2. New wine in an old bottle
3. 4.3. Linking to related posts
4. 5. Conversion optimization
5. 6. Comment optimization
1. 6.1. How you get people to comment
2. 6.2. Bond with your commenters
3. 6.3. Keeping people in the conversation
4. 7.1 Follow your commenters
5. 7.2. Use Twitter
6. 7.3. Find related blogs, and work them
6. 8. Conclusion
If you are more visually inclined, there's a video: http://yoast.com/wordpress-seo-video/.

Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Oct. 1, 2010 - Check Google SERPs in Another Country

A popular question in forums is “how do I check my Google SERPs in another country?"

There are several commercial tools available – and then there is Google’s answer to your need:

Adwords Preview Tool

It allows advertisers to preview SERPs in areas where they are running their ads. A drop down menu allows you to choose the country, and the area within the country if you wish. So, if you’re targeting ads in New York, but are online in Los Angeles or London, you can still preview your ad – or your organic results.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Oct. 2, 2010 - Link Flow Distribution

Todays tips is as follows:

SEO Tips for Link Flow Distribution

Quote:
What is link flow distribution in a website and why should you care? Link flow is a metric implemented in SEO which assesses the volume of link equity (accumulated PageRank, citation factor and nodes of relevance) a page has and how it passes along that equity via outbound links to other internal or external pages.

Depending on the degree of inbound links from other pages within your website or from other web pages online provide characteristics that distinguish that page in search engines.

For example, a page can rank in search engines as a result of:
Continued at: Link Flow Distribution

If you would like to make a comment on this SEO Tip of The Day post, please just post your comments on the blog itself OR create a thread in our SEO section.

Thanks

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-03-2010, 03:40 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Oct. 3, 2010 - Character Limit For Anchor Text

I noticed a very long string of words in a signature file recently on another forum, and it made me wonder how effective that was as an SEO tactic. I scouted around and found one SEO company who had tested a 50 word anchor text string and found that Google only counted the first 8 words. The test was done by publishing a string of 50 nonsense words on a "trusted page," and then searching for those terms. Google had only indexed the first eight words. Conclusion: 55 characters is the limit for anchor text.

Read the entire story: Limit Anchor Text Links To 55 Characters In Length?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Oct. 4, 2010 - Picture Perfect SEO

A picture – this one, anyway - is easily worth a thousand words, plus 269 Tweets, 300 Stumbles, 48 comments and 358 backlinks … so far.

SEO In Pictures – Our SEO Infographic

The image does a terrific job of presenting an graphic overview of SEO – from keyword research, and site structure to on page optimization and link building. There is also a section on social media and PPC vs. SEO. It’s full of information.

It’s an excellent “primer” for new SEOs and, moreover, a great example of link bait:

Old 10-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2010 - New Site? Avoid Articles.

Article Submission is Not A Good Idea For New Sites

Do you think articles are a great way to build backlinks? Think twice about article submission if you have a new site, says Blue Hat SEO. Established article sites may quickly outrank your own site for longer tailed terms.

Quote:
Any time you submit the same piece of content to that many sites it creates unnecessary competition. This is especially true if your site is new. The article directories and ezines are old, your site is new. They win. While they usually won’t take you out on the primary keywords especially with your site linked in the article, they can snag a lot of unknown positions in your longtail and mediumtailed phrases pushing your site down and losing you an unknown bit of long term traffic. This can go all the way up to a worse case scenario. Last year when Acai Berry was a hot niche a lot of people were seoing for the term and many did article distributions. While their sites never made it into the top 10, the articles they submitted came closer. So when Google did some manual reviews and bitch slapped a bunch of rebill promoters and affiliate pages on the term most of what was left was the articles. All ranking and for awhile there while everyone else readjusted left a bunch of article directories taking all that good traffic. The first thing the article directory owners did of course was edit the articles and take out the links to the authors websites and throw in their own affiliate links. Lesson learned, but that brings us to point two.
Read point two and the rest of the post: http://www.bluehatseo.com/open-quest...e-submissions/

Old 10-06-2010, 04:38 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Oct. 6, 2010 - Understanding Semantics as Machines Do

Understanding Semantics as Machines Do - Or Will ...

Scientists are trying to teach a computer to understand semantics as we do – to understand language. As computers learn to apply the rules of language (semantics), these principles will be incorporated into how search engines index and rank the content of web pages. That makes understanding how computers are learning of interest to SEO.

A group of Carnegie Mellon researchers – with support from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and Google and using a Yahoo research supercomputing cluster - have been fine tuning NELL, the Never-Ending Language Learning system, this year, the NY Times reported yesterday.

Quote:
NELL scans hundreds of millions of Web pages for text patterns that it uses to learn facts, 390,000 to date, with an estimated accuracy of 87 percent. These facts are grouped into semantic categories — cities, companies, sports teams, actors, universities, plants and 274 others. The category facts are things like “San Francisco is a city” and “sunflower is a plant.”
NELL also learns facts that are relations between members of two categories. For example, Peyton Manning is a football player (category). The Indianapolis Colts is a football team (category). By scanning text patterns, NELL can infer with a high probability that Peyton Manning plays for the Indianapolis Colts — even if it has never read that Mr. Manning plays for the Colts. “Plays for” is a relation, and there are 280 kinds of relations. The number of categories and relations has more than doubled since earlier this year, and will steadily expand.
The article also looks at the projects underway at IBM and Google. It doesn’t attempt to look at how such developments will impact SEO, but as computers become smarter and capable of learning, SEOs will need to have a better grasp of semantics themselves.

Read the entire article:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/sc...sq=NELL&st=cse.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum