Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-07-2010, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Oct. 7, 2010 - After FaceBook, Twitter... LinkedIn

FaceBook and Twitter is most popular sites for social networking. Now one more has jumped into this… LinkedIn. More than 75 million professionals are engaged with LinkedIn. All Fortune 500 companies are the members of LinkedIn.
It shows the value of the site.

You can create your own professional profile and can create for any business or company also. You can put anchor text linked to your site with your keywords in your profile. If you have completed your profile 100% with all the information, then LinkedIn users can follow your profile also. If your profile is well maintained, then there are chances to increase visibility of your profile and that way traffic also.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 10-07-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: add title, etc.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Oct. 8, 2010 - Copy, Paste, Link!

Effortless Link Building!

Recently, as I copied and pasted a quote from Search Engine Journal I noticed that the information on my clipboard included a “read more” link back to the page where I cut the content. Turns out SEJ has subscribed to Tynt Insight, a service (free or paid) which automatically inserts a link back to your site when someone pastes your content into an email or another website.

Insight also generates reports that allow you to see which pages have been copied the most – giving you a new metric for user engagement. Page views only go so far, but seeing which pages are copied reflects a deeper level of user interest.

Tynt Insight is popular with newspaper sites (note the automatically generated link in the quote below):

Quote:
Insight, better than a link-builder
Consider this: Tynt Insight generates 8,000 to 10,000 strong-fixed links per week for the average newspaper site – that’s pretty good value when you consider the best link-builders can generate 100 to 200 links a week. Tynt Insight can tell you what links are doing the most for you and how many are being generated automatically by your visitors.

Read more: Tynt » Improve Search Rank http://www.tynt.com/tynt-insight/imp...#ixzz11m3AI24X
An additional feature (paid, I presume) allows you to add custom messages to the link. If you have a Creative Commons license, your link can show which license you use (that's part of the free service). Register and simply add a short line of script to the head or body of each page. There are instructions, too, for adding it to your blog.

Read more: Tynt » Features http://www.tynt.com/tynt-insight/fea...#ixzz11m4IKqjN

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 10-08-2010 at 06:57 AM.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Oct. 9, 2010 - Diagnose and Improve Website Crawling

Todays SEO Tip of the day is:

How to Diagnose and Improve Website Crawling

From the GrayWolf Seo Blog.

Quote:
When you are reviewing a website, whether for your own projects or for a client project, one of the important areas to review is crawlability. In this post I’d like to talk about some of the ways you can look for and diagnose crawling issues.

If your important pages aren’t within 2-3 pages of linking hubs on your website, you will have problems …The first step to diagnosing a crawling problem is to use a simple [site:example.com] search and compare how many pages you really have with how many Google thinks you have. Now, bear in mind that this number is an estimate. What you are trying to do is get a rough estimate of how many pages Google knows about, as Matt Cutts recently discussed in a Webmaster Central Video:
There is a lot more to read on the blog itself.

Continued at: Diagnose and Improve Website Crawling

If you would like to post a comment about this blog post, then create a thread in on V7N forum.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-10-2010, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Oct. 10, 2010 - Complete Competitor Analysis Tool Suite

Todays SEO tip may not actually be a tip for a lot of you but a refresher course on some tools to use.

The Complete Competitor Analysis Tool Suite

Quote:
Competitor analysis is apart of any SEO campaign. There is so much you can learn from what your offline and online competitors are doing with their site. But just like every aspect of online marketing – it's extremely time consuming. In my past agency experience and at my current job at Raven Tools, I've compiled a suite of various tools that I use to analyze my clients' competitors. There's a lot of tools in this list, so I broke them down by what I use them for in the competitive analysis. Let me know if I missed any of your favorites!
Continued at: The Complete Competitor Analysis Tool Suite

If you have more tools to add, just post your comment on the blog itself.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-11-2010, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Oct. 11 - Blog Comments Ratting You Out?

What Do Search Engines Really See In Blog Comments? More Than We Might Think.

If blog commenting is one of your preferred ways of getting backlinks for your site, you might want to give that some thought. If Eric Enge is right, it may just well be a spam signal for Google. Even on no-followed links!

Eric Enge in Search Engine Land asks, Are We Getting Mixed SEO Ranking Signals? (bold mine):

Quote:
NoFollow links are not used as a signal—or are they? The definition of NoFollow suggests that a link that uses this attribute would not pass PageRank to the page that it links to, or that Google isn’t paying any attention to links that are NoFollowed (in either a positive or negative sense). However, this interpretation would ignore some powerful signals in those links, and I believe there may be more nuanced interpretations of how Google interprets NoFollowed links.
One simple way to use this is to see who is buying ads. You would need to tune this a bit, because forum and blog comments are not ads, but some basic filtering will get us a long way here, as detecting forums and blogs is generally pretty easy. Note that buying ads is not a bad thing, but it could be data that the search engines want to have and use in some fashion.
You could also potentially use NoFollowed links to see who is doing a lot of anchor text rich commenting in forums and blogs. Could be a spam signal, yes?
Enge thinks so, apparently. And I am inclined to agree; if not now, given Google's abhorrence of spam, sooner than later. And the take home here is, at the very least make sure blog comments are a small part of your overall link profile.

Enge raises a lot of interesting points in that post; if you want to talk about them, please start a separate thread for discussion.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Oct. 12, 2010 - A Vanity Search For SEO

Too often we think of SEO only in terms of how high our site is found in the SERPs, but optimization refers not just to where our site is found, but how it’s presented in the search engines, IMO. That's why crafting an efffective meta description is important. It doesn't affect your position, but it does affect "click appeal." So, I’ve been checking how my name and my company name appear in Google. Ten years ago I would have called this a Vanity Search, but there is nothing vain about checking on my professional presentation.

I was happy enough with the snippet for the Linkedin profile, but I realized I could make more of it. I added a photo, and updated the websites that show in my public profile. The links are not “followed” (and they may or may not have any SERP value - see yesterday’s tip ), but I optimized them for human eyes. And made a note to return soon and flesh out more of the optional fields. I have been slow to really use LinkedIn (I am a Facebook fanatic), but more and more contacts are finding and adding me. I am going to listen to that indicator.

I also noticed when I searched for Cyber Key, Inc. (my company) that my new listing in Manta shows up on the first page. I can see how that snippet might need some tweaking -- we can’t always control the description Google uses, but when we can, it’s worth the effort to be more “clickable.” This also tells me that Manta is indexed quickly, and I may want to look at them for clients.

Google also returned a photograph of me that’s seven years old. Some things are just best left alone.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010 - Links From AboutUs.org

I found another good source for a followed link this week, thanks to Wes LeFebvre of SEORankings.com (http://www.seorankings.com/get-links...d-aboutus-org]):

AboutUs.org, a wiki billed as “the editable guide to websites,” has probably already indexed your site. You can’t exactly claim your site yet, but you can register to edit and then improve your site's wiki. You'll find your page already includes an analysis of your keywords, your title and meta tags and other interesting facts about your site.

You start by searching for your domain to find it’s page. The default tends to be the title, description, location and contact information culled from your site. Your next step is to register to edit and then edit – and optimize - your site. Aside from adding your keywords and writing effective, persuasive copy about your product or services, your page should be customized with photos, graphics and links.

The best way to get an idea of what works is to check out what others are doing. Visit the spotlighted sites and find a similarly themed page. It’s a wiki, so it’s easy to look at their editing area and see how to add similar features. You’ll find help on improving pages here: http://www.aboutus.org/How_to_improve_AboutUs_pages and when you have your page spiffed up, it’s time to ask them to remove the ‘no-follow’ attribute. You'll find instructions on how on the page above:
Quote:
Email and we will review your edits and the website and make the page's links DoFollow if everything looks good.
My new page now looks like this:

instead of

I finished updating Cyber Key's page this afternoon; emailed a request, as instructed and they are now followed.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 10-13-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: corrected spelling of LeFebvre

Old 10-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Oct. 14, 2010 - Getting Blogspot To Follow Links

A Moderated, Followed Blog Encourages Participation

It’s hard to establish a blog community without giving away a little link love. If you have a blogger.com site, your comments are automatically not followed. If you’d like to change that, it’s very easy to change the code in the template. Log into your blog, and from the dashboard, choose Design and Edit HTML. It should look something like this:

Note: you should back up your blog first; and download a copy of the template before you change it (see top arrow), just in case. Then tick “expand widget templates.”

Now search for the nofollow code: rel=nofollow and remove it. Save the template and your blog now has followed links.

Next step, you want to let your readers know that you are a followed blog. I added a text block in the right column to say that the blog is a moderated, do follow blog. I want to discourage spam, so I am clear that I expect a reasonable contribution.

For wordpress blogs there is a plugin: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nofollow-free/.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Oct. 15, 2010 - Google Expands Link Data in WT

For years, Google has kept your links to themselves. If you wanted to know what Google was probably counting as your backlinks you asked Yahoo using the link operand (link:YourDomain.tld). It seems that Google stopped returning comprehensive results when it realized that webmasters were using the search to operator check on the competition’s links in an ever more obsessive quest for PageRank.

A couple of days ago, Google announced that Webmaster Tools has expanded its link reporting features. You can now see which domains link the most to you, what content receives the most links and what anchor text is used in links to your site.

Each section expands to give you a full report on your backlinks profile.

For a full explanation of the updated tools, see: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...your-site.html

Quote:
We hope the updated “Links to your site” feature in Webmaster Tools will help you better understand where the links to your site are coming from and improve your ability to track changes to your site’s link profile.
If the comments on Google's blog are any indication, webmasters are very pleased with the new tool. There is a discussion thread underway here: http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...e-updated.html. Let us know what you think of the new expanded reporting.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Oct. 16, 2010 - Google News SEO Tips & Ranking Factors

Todays tip is as follows:

Google News SEO Tips & Ranking Factors

This blog post is from the localseoguide.
Quote:
I have done a lot of newspaper SEO (aka “Consejos SEO” for mis amigos al sur de la frontera) and inevitably, the first question I get asked by a new client is “What are Google News’ ranking factors? Doing SEO for Google News is a strange beast, but there are plenty of easy things you can do to make your site improve its chances of ranking well. In fact, Google News tells you what you have to do on their blog. Of course, in true Google fashion, they don’t make it easy for you to find all of the info in one place, so I thought I’d help you all out by publishing some of these tips here:
Continued at: Google News Tips

Feel free to make a blog comment on this blog post or create a thread here on V7N so we can discuss each tip further.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday Oct. 17, 2010 - Marketing To New Local SEO Clients

Need new local SEO clients? Here are a couple of tips to market your SEO business.

There’s a pitch involved, but Justin Brooke got my attention via a Facebook ad. How do you find new clients? Number 1: find out where your potential customers hang out and meet them there. Yes, we’re talking about the Chamber of Commerce or other local business guilds and associations. But don’t show up with your business card – that’s what everybody does and it doesn’t market anyone effectively. Instead, Brooke says show up with your own book. It sets you apart and presents you as an authority.

Quote:
Books aren’t like business cards. You can’t stuff a book in your wallet and forget about it. Almost no one throws a book away either.
Brooke’s book is called “SEO Lies” … and you know you could write that yourself, right? But you don’t have to … . Brooke will sell you his, along with a webinar, prospect letters and a system to turn prospects into paying clients. I don’t think you have to buy the package to take home some of his clever marketing ideas, though.

Read more about Brooke’s system to attract local SEO clients: http://sitefling.com/local/tmpl2/get...l-clients.html.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Oct. 18 - A Tactical Guide To Becoming An SEO Ubergeek

Want to rock the SEO world? A recent Search Engine Journal article suggests you need to become an “algoholic” if you want to rule SEO. Study the patents, and learn how the search engines actually work, says David Harry. He lays out the steps in his article: A Tactical Guide To Becoming An SEO Ubergeek.

SEO isn’t rocket science, Harry admits, but it is computer science.
Quote:
The next area we want to get into is the world of information retrieval. This is part of the computer science world. If patents are the past, IR world watching is the future. This is an important part of becoming a super uber search geek. While there is much you can glean from what’s already out there in the search world, in many ways it is about seeing what lies ahead. When doing SEO you want to always ensure your tactics are “future proofed.” As such, IR watching is paramount to delivering a strategy that stands the test of time.
Find the full list of resources for your geek-ucation: http://searchengineland.com/a-tactic...ubergeek-52954.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues., Oct. 19, 2010 - Google Patent & Personalized Search

Following on yesterday's tip, here's more news on patents. Bill Slawski of SEO By The Sea summarizes a new patent just published by Google. Slawski outlines three types of profiles suggested by the patent: user profiles, query profiles and document profiles.

Quote:
Example

A page about the Cincinnati Reds baseball team has been previously classified by Google, after Google looked at the content of the page, key terms appearing on the page, and the links that point to it.

A document profile for the page shows how often it appears in different search results for specific queries, which position it tends to appear at for each of those queries, how often it is clicked upon, what its PageRank might be, which countries searchers who visit the page might be from, and what their preferred language might be, as well as other information.

Imagine that an unclassified page about the Cincinnati Reds also appears in a number of the same search results for the same queries as the classified page.

Classification information from the classifed page about the Cincinnati Reds may be spread to the query profiles created those for those shared queries (as well as for other queries the page may rank for). The classification information in those query profiles from the original classified page may then spread to the unclassified page.

The weight for those classifications for the unclassified page, possibly such terms as “baseball,” “major league team,” and “cincinati reds,” may be based upon how relevant the unclassified page might be seen to be for the queries used to find it, including search position data and click data.
Read the entire post to see how it ties to personalized search and classification: http://www.seobythesea.com/?p=4457.

Last edited by snakeair; 10-20-2010 at 08:59 PM. Reason: fixed date

Old 10-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Oct. 20, 2010 - What Is SEO, Really?

Sorry for late update in this thread. I forgot to post this tip.

Well, let's go for a history lesson in SEO. This is a very good blog post to read.

Quote:
Lisa Barone wrote an interesting piece entitled "Are SEOs Responsible For Rankings Or Money?". At a recent SMX conference, Matt McGee posed the SEO myth "SEO is about rankings”. Lisa was relieved when the panel concluded that SEO was really all about the money.

I agree, but then all business activity is ultimately about money. We could say car racing is all about money, but it's also about engineering. It's about skill, excitement, and winning the game.

So what is SEO these days, anyway?

A Very Brief History Of SEO

Back when SEO started, SEO wasn't called SEO. It was probably best described by those who did it as a...
Continued at: http://www.seobook.com/what-seo-really

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-21-2010, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Oct. 21, 2010 - Consider the Source

Don’t believe everything you read. Forums are a great resource, especially when you have a specific question and need feedback. Forums are filled with professionals who are generous with their time and expertise. And they are also peopled with many folks who haven’t had the experience to really know what works in SEO and what doesn’t.

Consider the source. I’m not saying every member with a full complement of green reputation points is right. I’m not saying that moderators or mentors know more than others. There is a lot we don’t know in SEO. The algorithms are largely unknown. Many experts in SEO disagree about some very important points.

I am saying that those with a lot of reputation probably got it by making sense a majority of the time. Follow the members you like. Read more of what they have to say. Take it all with a grain of salt and check ideas with other sources.

Don’t just read the forums, read the expert blogs and reputable sources that are often quoted in this tip column -- Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Journal, SEOBook, Eric Enge, Bill Slawski - and many others. They are cited frequently because they are trusted.

I am saying
read the search engine’s webmaster blogs -- http://www.bing.com/community/ and http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/.

I am saying, get a second opinion, and a third, a fourth and I am saying, form one of your own through experience and experiments of your own. Just don't believe and repeat everything you read.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Oct. 22, 2010 - Managing User Expectations

Tips To Manage User Expectations

Sometimes it pays to get back to basics. This Facebook note from DailySEOTips, It Started With A Click! 5 Tips to Manage User Expectations, offers five tips to help you make sure all the links to your website provide only positive feelings.
Quote:
1. Make sure your website delivers what it promises.
There is nothing more infuriating that finding a website that is useful from the outside and looks the business but doesn’t take you where you want to go. Functionality is always the fundamental aspect of any website, therefore if you expect people to stay or even go through to make an enquiry a design needs to be flawless.
It is always worth having someone fresh play around with your website as a new user to see any flaws in what could hinder potential enquiries or highlight areas that could improve usability.
2. What are external links saying about you?
Any worthwhile website will be promoting itself in honest and high profile places, so ensure that you deserve to be there. Regardless of what form of link building you’ve undertaken, make sure that where you want people to go to actually takes them to their destination.
Read the rest of tip #2 and the other three: http://www.facebook.com/notes/daily-seo-tip/it-started-with-a-click-5-tips-to-manage-user-expectations/489646705831

Last edited by mjtaylor; 10-22-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Correcting link

Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Oct. 23, 2010 - Keyword Tool Explores User Intent

Exploring User Intent

A newsletter tip sent by http://www.redalkemi.com talks about the Search Funnel Tool from MSN's adCenter Labs:

Quote:
One of the ways to detect the user intention is to know query refinement i.e., what other keywords most of the users use before or after searching the given keywords if they are not happy with the search results. MSN adCenter Labs has one such Search Funnel tool which lets us know search sequence of popular terms. It lets us see what users searched for before (incoming funnel) or after (outgoing funnel) a particular keyword along with their search share. Though the user profile of each search engine is slightly different! from each other, based upon these results you can have an idea about how users are more likely to search for particular product or info.
Here's what MSN has to say about their Search Funnel Tool:

Quote:
Customers often perform searches by typing related keywords in specific sequences. This tool helps in visualizing and analyzing the customers' search sequences. For example, you can learn how many people search for BMW and then search for Mercedes Benz, Audi, and other automobiles.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Oct. 24, 2010 - SEO Myths About Website Usability

Todays tip is about website usability.

SEO Myths About Website Usability

Quote:
When you optimize your website for search engine visibility, who are you targeting? The statistically average web searcher? Someone who is new to web searching? Or a highly experienced web searcher? Which mental model is reflected in the site optimization: the technical mental model or the user mental model?

Unfortunately, “usability” is often the excuse for building a technically savvy website with little or no concern for the searcher. Usability professionals can easily single out search professionals with little or no usability experience and expertise, but the average person might have a more difficult time. To assist you in finding a qualified search usability expert, here are some myths to watch out for.
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/more-seo...sability-53194

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-25-2010, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Oct. 25, 2010 - Why Advanced SEOs Study Patents

This thread and writer often suggests reading Bill Slawski’s analysis of search engine patents. Most of the time the patent applications were made some years ago, and any innovations have probably long been added to the algorithm. So why bother with reading the patents? Insight into the thinking of those who write them – the premises behind the patent.

Slawski writes in a post today:

Quote:
In many of my previous posts about search engine patents, I’ve stressed that the most important thing that we often might learn from the patent filings isn’t necessarily an insight into particular processes that a search engine might use, though learning something about those can be interesting.
Instead, a patent filing often introduces us to some of the assumptions that a search engine might be making about the Web, searchers, and even search itself. This particular patent gives us a glimpse at a few of those assumptions, which it goes on to challenge later in the patent:
Advanced SEO thinkers may want to read the entire post, SEO and Assumptions behind Web Searches, the first in a series of posts on Google Custom Search Engines.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2010 - Helping Yourself To A Link?

Want a link? Be helpful!

Andy Beard’s Twitter account was recently hacked --or was it? It might have been that his three year old son (who has his own YouTube account!) was accidentally logged in on Andy’s account and shared a Youtube video, but Andy doubts it. Read the whole (cute) story : My 3 Year Old Just Sent His First Tweet (Do You Think He Has Taste?):

The SEO takeaway? The guy who alerted Andy to the possible hack got a nice link from an authority SEO site.

Quote:
First let me say, one of the best ways to get authority links is to help people, or be the first to notify people about a possible problem. Thus a big thanks to James at Online IT Guide for sending me an email to let me know of a potential hack of my Twitter account.
And James just got another one - all for taking a moment to send a head's up.

Cultivate an attitude of helpfulness. The more you help, the more you get back.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum