Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-27-2010, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Oct. 27, 2010 - Battling The Competition

Ready to step up your analysis of the competition a notch or two? For those who are willing to do the work, Rand Fishkin (the CEO & Co-Founder of SEOmoz) presented an indepth look at metrics such as URL, keyword in domain, anchor, on page and social scores in a competitive presentation today:

It was the 4th annual "presentation-off" battle between Fishkin and of Distilled's Will Critchlow, and the final session of the London PRO SEO Training Seminar.

Find notes, the slide show and video presentation from Rand's presentation here: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-pro-s...d-vs-will-2010. You can even download the spreadsheet and adapt it to your own needs.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Oct. 28, 2010 - Making Common SEO Mistakes

Quote:
No, these aren’t “myths” disguised as “common mistakes.” I’ve already beaten the SEO myths theme to death with my previous three articles.

What follows are innocent mistakes that many SEOs make. Some of these things catch even the best of us…
25 Super Common SEO Mistakes

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Oct. 29, 2010 - SEO Halloween Horrors

Going Black Hat For Halloween? Watch Out for the Search Police and the Grave Diggers!

FreshEgg Blogger, Joe Johnson paints some frightening tales of an SEO Halloween:

Quote:
So it’s almost Halloween and across the land the land boys and ghouls (sorry) will be donning their capes and painting their faces as pale as a Java Script programmer, preparing to ask total strangers for confectionery ...
There are some great costume ideas in this thread: you can put on the SEO Black Hat of the Wicked Witch of the Internet; or don the uniform of the Search Engine Police to fight the Witch and other Spammers! How about the Robot that never indexes your page or a spider that can crawl across a web page faster than the ceiling? Or an SEO (Grave) Digger who thinks content is king and

Quote:
one of the ways to disseminate content around the web is with the use a social book marking site like Digg. Getting your content onto the first page of Digg is a potential method of driving traffic to your site, but achieving this is a nightmare and there is always the risk that your cool video, picture or piece of writing will get buried alive!
Enjoy the entire post: http://www.freshegg.com/blog/frighte...n-horrors_5543.

Last edited by snakeair; 10-30-2010 at 06:52 PM. Reason: fixed date

Old 10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Oct. 30, 2010 - Benefits From Following Google's....

Todays tip is from the SEObook.com blog.

Many of you are aware that this month some changes have happend to lot's of peoples websites involving google. Have a look at this whole blog post and before to read the blog comments after it:

Who Benefits From Following Google's Guidelines?

Quote:
Some of you may have been hit by Google's 20 October algorithm change.

And some of you wouldn't have noticed any difference.

On 20 October, a number of sites got trashed. Rankings, and traffic, plummeted through the floor. The webmaster forums lit up. Aaron noticed it. I noticed it. Yet, other webmasters wondered what all the fuss was about.

As many of you know, there is not just one ranking algothimn. There are many algorithms. What affects one site may not affect another. Rather interestingly, Google's John Mu dipped into this thread on Google's support forum, offering these words of wisdom (HatTip: Barry)....
Continued at: http://www.seobook.com/who-benefits-...les-guidelines

If you would like to make a comment about this blog post, please post your comment on aaron's blog.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 10-31-2010, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Oct. 31, 2010 - SEO Tips to Start Your New Website

Just some Tips for when you start a new website. Of course you could always edit your existing website right now.

Remember to go trick or treating before your neighbors run out of candy. Now off to the Tip of the day.

Quote:
What’s the difference between a new website and a powerhouse domain ranking for competitive keyword-specific rankings? The answer, SEO, content, time and links…

First, you start with keyword research, this includes assessing all of the root phrases, synonyms, keyword modifiers and potential keyword variations a consumer in search of a solution might use when searching for the product or service type. After you sift through and pick your primary selection, the next step is to start creating content.

Content

When selecting your content, you should concern yourself with two things, the first is the primary keywords and landing pages and the second is the supporting keywords and content pages needed to tip the scale in your favor.

For every competitive keyword ranking in...
Continued at: Tips to Start Your New Website

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 11-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Nov. 1 - Content Acquistion For Links

From a Rand Fishkin (SEOMoz) post on how to buy links with the least amount of risk: one technique is content acquisition. Find content that you like, and that has gained authority. Negotiate with the website owner to purchase that page and have them redirect the page to your site. Even better; have someone develop the sort of content that will attract links and host it on your site and promote it. For example, an SEO might pay a programmer develop tools for which are then hosted and offered for free.
Quote:
Principle - Find content that ranks well or has earned considerable link popularity on a topic, purchase it from the owner and move the content to your own site.
Process - The easier, but more expensive path is to find content that's already earned significant link equity, make an offer, and have the owner 301-redirect the page(s) over to your domain. This is, in essence, like buying a small part of a site. A more time intensive but cheaper method is to find content you expect would earn high amounts of links and rankings if given the proper SEO & marketing effort, purchase it and promote.
Read the entire post: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/8-ways-to...t-buying-links

Old 11-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Nov. 2, 2010 - Ratings and Reviews and Google

How might Google manage reputations for reviews and ratings? asks Blogger and Patent Analyst Bill Slawski, of SEO by the Sea today. “Do reviews of businesses and products at Google influence how well those might show up in Place searches or product searches?”

We’ve already seen how Google now supports rich snippets, an rdfa markup that allows websites to tell Google there are reviews. To explore how much influence those reviews may have on SERPs, Slawski examines a patent awarded to Google today, "Systems and methods for reputation management" (US Patent 7,827,052).

Quote:
A recent change to how Google shows search results in Web search may mean that if Google thinks you are performing a search where local search results are appropriate, then Google may show those local results as if they were organic search listings. Google refers to this change as Place Search, and it can have an impact upon the amount of visitors a site may receive, and possibly increase the number of contacts for a business listed in those results.
(Read the entire post: http://www.seobythesea.com/?p=4550)

Slawski also references earlier posts on reviews and ratings. For an SEO there are many levels of insight here, but the easiest takeway? It’s critical to make sure you or your clients are asking customers to leave a review. Most often this is done by restaurateurs and hoteliers. But all brick and mortar businesses should actively ask satisfied customers to say why they like you via Google Places or TripAdvisor Reviews. Make that beg! People like to be helpful – tell them how much a review would mean to you. Even better: give something away to encourage a client to take the time; a freebie or a discount in the next purchase.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2010 - CMS and SEO Challenges

I had a call yesterday from a new website owner whose brick and mortar business is not getting any benefit from the new site. Why, she asked me? The site, which is driven by a well known CMS, has some critical problems which many content management systems share. The URLs had multiple parameters, no keywords, and as far as I could tell there was no text based navigation on the site.

I’m not saying this or other popular CMS can’t be configured to be search friendly, but these are a few of the issues that must often be addressed:
  • URLs with too many parameters
  • URLs without keywords
  • Absence of unique titles and descriptions in the head or awkward access to them
  • An excess of script in the code

If you are interested in exploring these issues you may find these articles helpful:

http://www.a3webtech.com/index.php/seo-for-cms.html
http://www.seomoz.org/blog/choosing-...eo-perspective

Old 11-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Updation of site and that too on a regular basis will indeed be very help in getting more and more traffic to your site. You can provide content on your site but if you don't update it regularly then may be you won't get the response you are looking for. May be this one is similar but it is of utmost importance.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Nov. 4, 2010 - Traffic Depends on First Page of SERPs

How Important Is SEO? How Important Is Being on the First Page?

Pretty dang critical, if you can believe what I read. According to one study, 95% of traffic comes from the first page of the SERPs! An earlier study (April '08 ) found that 92% of searchers don’t go past the third page.

From: http://www.icrossing.com/articles/Th...Visibility.pdf:

Quote:
iCrossing analyzed data from 10 clients across several verticals for nearly nine months. We filtered branded terms, leaving primarily non-branded natural search visits (unique). iCrossing’s Natural Search Marketing Platform provided the data, which segments visitor data by engine, by result entry page, and at the keyword level.

According to iCrossing data, roughly 95.3 percent of all non-branded natural search traffic comes from page-one of the SERPs. While visibility on page-two or three may seem “visible” to many, the likelihood that these results will drive traffic to your website is minimal.

This percentage is over 5 percent higher than the well-known AOL data leak that experts analyzed countless times back in 2006. But, it also validates that roughly the same percentage holds true across all of the “big three” (Google, Yahoo! and Bing) engines.

TO PUT THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE
If you break down the 8.9 million non-branded visitors tracked in this study, you will discover that:
+ More than 8.5 million visitors came from page-one
+ Just over 232,000 visitors came from page-two
+ Just over 180,000 visitors came from page-three+

These percentages are significantly higher than a recent IAB Europe and InSites Consultancy report which concluded that more than 40 percent of European users give up after checking the first 10 search results, and 70 percent give up after scanning 20 search results.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Nov. 5, 2010 - blekko: New Search Engine for SEOs

There’s a new kid on the search engine block, says blogger Wesley LeFebvre of SEOrankings.com, and one that SEOs will find particularly helpful: blekko. The search engine sets itself apart by introducing /slashtags.

Quote:
Slashtags make it easy for anyone to create a vertical search engine around any topic. One of the neatest features of slashtags is customizing your searches to only show you results from a particular viewpoint. For instance, to see websites from a liberal point of view you would use the built-in /liberal slashtag.
What interests LeFebvre the most about blekko are its webmaster tools. You will quickly see why.

Quote:
Using blekko’s webmaster tools is a snap. You don’t even have to be logged in. Simply do a normal search around any topic or website you like and links to the available tools will appear right below the title of each listing.
Read more of Lefebvre's analysis of the SEO tools: http://www.seorankings.com/blekko-se...ngine-for-seos.

One of the tools I found most interesting was seeing what other sites are hosted on the same IP as mine. It also shows who has scraped my content under the duplicate content section.

More about slashtags and blekko: http://blekko.com/ws/+/help#2.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010 - Formula For Choosing Keywords

I see lots of threads about keyword research tools, but it’s not often that I see clear parameters for winnowing the long lists of relevant terms into effective, achievable targeted phrases.

I signed up for an e-book on keyword research today thinking, yeah, yeah, another email grab. I was pleasantly surprised to Craig Brunswick’s very “specific formula” for choosing terms.

Quote:
  • At least 1,000 monthly searches
  • No more than 30,000 pages in Google “in quotes”
  • No more than 10,000 results for “allintitle”
Brunswick explains clearly how to determine each and explains his reasoning. Yes, you’ll have to sign up to read the details, but Brunswick promises not to spam you:

Quote:
*GUARANTEE*
You will not be spammed or pestered with internet 'product launches' or other recommendations to buy products!
And you can always unsubscribe right away. Sign up to download your ebook PDF here: http://www.keywordresearchinfo.org.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Nov. 7, 2010 - Pageload Speed

A friend of mine has been doing some nifty stuff on his WordPress site lately, and he sent me a link to his webpage test after completing some of it.

Now, I'm not one to obsess about anything that Google says. I'm much more interested in the user experience. But when my buddy called my attention to it, I realized that I hadn't checked my site's pagespeed for a while, so I decided to do so.

I opted for http://webpagetest.org because I've used it before. (There's also a nice FireFox add-on called Pagespeed, that works with Firebug.)

Here's a copy of what my friend sent me of his site's waterfall report:

As you can see, his total load time was 3.502 seconds. That means that by that time, the entire page was rendered and viewable by the user. His fully loaded time was 7.054 seconds, meaning that approximately another 3.5 seconds was needed to finish loading some functionality, probably javascript. Still, for a user, his site was readable after just 3.5 seconds.

So I went and checked my home page, and here's what I found:

My total load time was 5.87 seconds, as was my fully loaded time. That means that my users had to wait nearly 6 seconds before they could even see the entire page, although they could use it as soon as it was visible.

But also interesting is that if you look at the vertical green bar on his chart, you see that his site began rendering after .948 seconds had elapsed. In my case, it took 3.722 seconds to start rendering.

So I decided to dig into things and find out why! I got him on Skype, and showed him my results, and he straightened me out.

First, he had me configure my W3 Total Cache plug-in properly. That meant combining my javascript and CSS calls as much as possible, to minimize the calls made to my server by my browser. I found that all my javascripts were blocking the CSS loads until THEY were done loading. I set all the JS to be in the header, non-blocking.

That got my Start Render point down to about 2.7 seconds, which is still pretty slow. So he told me to go in and configure my browser cache, especially my 'expires headers', to further minimize calls.

At that point, I rechecked and got this:

Now THAT'S more like it! Now my site starts rendering in just .416 seconds, and is totally viewable in .829 seconds, and fully functional in 1.345 seconds. And the only things not fully functional after .829 seconds are the AddThis buttons. They're visible, they just need a few more milliseconds before they work.

Not to many of my subscribers can read that fast!

So, my point is, in well under an hour, I was able to reduce my load time from just under 6 seconds, to just under 1 second. That ain't too shabby.
And believe me, if I can do it, so can YOU! I'm no coding wizard, and this is my first WordPress site, which I just built about two months ago.

In April, when it was announced that Google was adding pagespeed to its algorithm, some people rushed to minimize their image file sizes, and thought there was little else they could do. But you'll notice I didn't have to touch my images (they were already optimized) to make my homepage load more than 7 times faster!

The only other thing that I can think of, to make my site faster, is to run it on a CDN (content delivery network). And since my buddy also told me that on November 1st, Amazon rolled out a free CDN for a full year, I signed up. Tomorrow, I'll put it on-line. I really don't expect it to make a big difference for my site at this point, but as it grows, it'll help a lot.

So you might want to take a look at your pages on http://webpagetest.org too. Maybe you can shave your pageload time by 86% too.

Last edited by DocSheldon; 11-07-2010 at 07:04 AM.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:16 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Good post doc, my site takes 9.4 seconds to load, I am mortified.

I don't even know how to optimise images (which is what seems to be slowing everything down) I am so noT seo savvy.

Hmmm.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:33 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocC View Post
That got my Start Render point down to about 2.7 seconds, which is still pretty slow. So he told me to go in and configure my browser cache, especially my 'expires headers', to further minimize calls.

At that point, I rechecked and got this:

Now THAT'S more like it!
Hey Doc.

I don't think the improvement you saw in speed from the actions above reflect an increase in load speed for your subscribers. Not unless they reconfigure their own browser cache settings.

Rabble Park

Old 11-07-2010, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

The cache settings I made were in my back end, which will affect the way files are served to any browser.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:02 PM
v7n Mentor

I guess I misunderstood.
Congratulations!

Rabble Park

Old 11-08-2010, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Nov. 8, 2010 - "Using Craigslist For SEO"

Can Craiglist help with SEO?

In a manner of speaking, yes. The free classifieds site does add the "nofollow" attribute to all ads, so it isn’t useful for getting PR-loaded backlinks, but since Craiglist is trusted and frequently crawled, it can be a great place for a new site owner to practice SEO skills or to test the effectiveness of keyword choices and strategies. A well-crafted ad in Craigslist with strong (but not spammy) keyword elements can rank quickly and highly for locally competitive terms while the new website still languishes in the proverbial sandbox.

Let’s say you have a site for an Omaha widget maker and the terms Omaha widget factory and Omaha widget manufacturer are both popular and roughly fit the formula learned from Saturday’s tip on keyword research. Running ads that alternate the two terms every other week would allow you to determine which phrase drives the most traffic. Once you decide on the most effective term, you could experiment with different placements of text in the heading and body copy to see which ranks the highest. You can apply that wisdom to your website long before it has the crawl rate to allow you effectively test the terms on-site.

Bonus: traffic to your site while you test and develop SEO-xpertise.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2010 - Content is King? So, Let's Analyze Theirs

Content is King, they say, right? So, while it's great to study the backlinks of the competition, why stop there? Why not analyze the content of rival sites to see what they are doing right and what we could do better?

Examine the copy and content of the top 10 websites for your most targeted phrase and ask these questions:
1. Who are they targeting? Are they really competing for the same market? Have they identified one you haven't?

2. What part of the buyer’s cycle does their content appeal to? Need (awareness), Evaluation (research) or Action (readiness to buy)? Many sites only focus on the last phase.

3. Do you like their content and their writing style? Why? What works for you? What doesn’t?

4. What are their strengths? What are they offering that you don’t offer? What are they missing that you already offer?

5. Does the site feel like an authority or trusted site? What makes that impression? Is their information accurate and reliable? Presented clearly and concisely? What else contributes to the impression of authority or detracts from it?

6. Do they have a blog? Product reviews? Articles? FAQs? News releases?
As you ask these questions, you will be able to reflect on the relative strengths and weaknesses of your own site, and generate new content ideas of your own.

Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2010 - SEO for Reputation Management

Optimizing Your Social Network Profile

SEOmoz founder Rand Fishkin, offers six "advanced" tactics for managing your reputation in a post titled, Rules on how to craft your personal profiles on social networks.

His tactics include:
  1. Set up the right social profiles in the right ways
  2. Create a universal bio with embedded links
  3. Leverage links when you speak, donate, invest and hire
  4. Avoid sites, such as wikipedia, that you don’t own
  5. Start a second blog

And my favorite:
6. Point lower quality links to your profile pages rather than the main site:
Quote:
Leverage lower quality links for social profiles and higher quality links for self-managed domains. I’d never suggest buying crappy links, but if you must or if you have other links you control that are of questionable quality or you think search engines might consider low value or even manipulative, don’t point these to your newly registered domains or the sites you own. Instead, point them at the powerful, high authority social profile pages you’ve created and let the engines decide what/whether to count them.

This works particularly well for nofollow links from comments, wikis and other social participation forms on the web. I’m not sure whether the nofollows directly get counted or if the pages get scraped and re-published in some followed format, but time after time I’ve seen examples of nofollows seemingly doing the heavy lifting to get social profile pages ranking.

If you own some old, neglected sites that are questionable in quality and rankings from the engines’ point of view, you could try testing these by pointing them to other social profile pages (and observing/testing the impact on those URLs’ rankings) before pointing them at your own profiles. Better to be safe than sorry, and there have been plenty of cases where aggressive SEOs have gone too far with linking to social profiles and had either the search engines penalize the pages or even the site administrators pull down the profile, wasting hours or days of work.
Read the entire post: http://www.socialmedia.biz/2010/11/1...anced-tactics/.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum