Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 AM
V7N Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Dec. 21, 2010

My SEO Rant Of The Day

Sometimes people are so busy looking for the newest SEO trick of the day, they simply forget about the tried and true basics and even consider them to be outdated. The fact is, the BASICS can never really be outdated because they are common sense methods of following the standards of good writing, layout, and what is best for your VISITORS. All the fancy new techniques and complicated SEO testing sites won't do you a lot of good if you didn't bother with a solid foundation of the basics.

I don't care how many XML site maps you have for your website. If your customer gets lost on your site and can't find what they are looking for, they are going to leave. It will be a shame if you didn't bother with that old fashioned HTML sitemap for you visitors that works much like the maps out at Sea World, when even with all the signs, people get a bit turned around and need direction.

It's old fashioned to use heading tags? Seriously? It's part of standards. Take a look at one of the text books in school. See all the heading and subheadings? It helps people scan down and find the information they are looking for, or if it even exist on that page, much like it does on our web pages, it helps people decide if they want to stay. Amazingly enough, when we do it right, it still helps Google determine relevance to the query requested.

It's outdated to submit to DMOZ? Seriously? C'mon folks. I am not talking about spending weeks submitting, or wasting a single moment worrying about it afterwards. I am talking about taking 5 minutes to write a good submission request to a quality directory. Like it or not, thinking it is old fashioned or not, isn't going to change the fact that the Google Directory is powered by ODP.

I could go on and on and on, but I think you are getting my point. I'm not saying that we shouldn't always be searching for new techniques. WE SHOULD! What I am saying is that in that process, don't forget about the basics. They are still very relevant to the overall success of your site.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Last edited by juliensimon; 12-20-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:11 AM
SEO Fanatic
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Dec. 22, 2010

Duplicate Content

We have most likely already touch base on duplicate content but I wanted to go back to the basics of it and share this article with you. It's from Yoast and talks about "Causes and Solutions for Duplicate content"

In a nutshell, here is the table of the article:
Quote:
A] Causes for duplicate content
1. Misunderstanding the concept of a URL
2. Session ID's
3. URL parameters used for tracking and sorting
4. Scrapers & content syndication
5. Order of parameters
6. Comment Pagination
7. Printer friendly pages
8. WWW vs. non-WWW
B] Conceptual Solution: A "canonical" URL
C] Identifying Duplicate Contents issues
1. Google Webmaster Tools
2. Searching for titles or snippets
D] Practical Solutions for Duplicate Content
1. Avoiding Duplicate Content
2. 301 Redirecting Duplicate Content
3. Using rel="canonical" links
4. Linking back to the original content
E] Conclusion: Duplicate content is fixable, and should be fixed
It gives some great tips like for the printer friendly page.

Read this article, then look at your site again. You'll probably find some things to fix on your site after that.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Dec. 23, 2010 - One Sweet Tweet = Three Smart Tips

Tweet Smarts - Three Tips from One Sweet Tweet

A Tweeter I follow, webseoanalytics, is a prolific and often insightful SEO tipster. One from yesterday has several takeaways, in less than 20 words:
Quote:
#SEO Tip: Do not concentrate only on Traffic or #PageRank. Mind the Conversion Rates. Study the #google #analytics reports
What can we learn from this Tweet?

1. The basic message is terrific – traffic and PageRank are not the total equation. An SEO needs to pay attention to the conversion rate – in other words, how many leads or sales do you get for every 100 or 1,000 visitors? What keywords result in the most leads or sales. What keywords aren't working for you? Do you get more traffic for a particular term but relatively few or even no conversions? Perhaps it’s time to stop marketing that term and beef up your SEO on a term that already gives you some convertible leads. Analytics programs, such as Google’s free version, can lead the way for you. There are tools for goal setting and for tracking through to conversion.

Get Started With Google Analytics Tracking: http://www.google.com/support/google...en&topic=11011.

Pay attention to the use of hashtags in this Tweet. This Tweet was optimized for SEO, PageRank, Google and Analytics. Hashtags allow other Twits ()to search a term and find related Tweets. So anyone searching any of these keywords would have been likely to run across this Tweet. You probably won’t weave four keywords into your every Tweet, but you do want to start using them. It isn’t even necessary to make it part of the sentence; hashtags are most often added at the end.

Here’s more from Twitter on hashtags:
http://support.twitter.com/entries/4...shtags-symbols and
http://support.twitter.com/articles/...ags-newtwitter

3. One more tip from this one sweet tweet – if you learned something from webseoanalytics, consider following them for more tips. Just as it is wise to follow expert bloggers in your niche, it’s wise to follow Twits who have something to teach you.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Christmas Eve, 2010 - Effect of Location Change in Google

Some smart Christmas cookies over at SEOmoz decided to test the effect of changing location with Google on local search results.

Quote:
Back in October, Google added the ability to easily change the location from where you search. It's located just under the search verticals – click on "Change Location," and you'll see something like the screen below (lower-left):

The experiment has important implications for those interested in local search.

Quote:
It's clear that a lot is changing in local search, and I think we can expect to see more integration of the overall organic and local algorithms (while local retains some unique factors, like citations and reviews). Whatever happens, though, the new "Change Location" tool seems to be a real window into the local algorithm and should be a welcome addition for local SEOs.
See the entire story for the results: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/local-seo...hange-location.

Bonus takeaway: this sort of experiment is easy to do; consider banding together with a few buddies from V7N and repeat the experiment. Report it on your blogs and add it here as a thread or Tip of the Day. One of you Tweets it and the others ReTweet it. This sort of thing can be terrific link bait and instructive for all involved.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day For Christmas 2010 - The Twelve Days of SEO

SEO Consult’s Twelve Days of SEO, a parody of the traditional “12 Days of SEO Christmas," is full of excellent points and reminders.

Now sing it with me:
Twelve Homepage Keywords, Eleven validation errors, Ten internally-linked subpages, Nine new Facebook friends, Eight Twitter followers, Seven long-tail keywords, Six organic rankings, Fiiiiive happy customers, Four friendly URLs, Three article submissions, Two press releases, and and a website with an integrated blog.

Okay it wasn’t all exactly easy to sing to the music, but the points were well taken.

I feel strongly that the prediction that social media networking will explode in 2011 is quite accurate:

Quote:
Nine new Facebook friends
We’re really going to see a social media marketing explosion in 2011, so you should do everything you possibly can to get in on the ground floor on sites such as Facebook. Making friends with your clients on Facebook gives a more personal approach, and allows deals and offers to be shared on a wider scale.
Eight Twitter followers
The same principle applies to Twitter. The benefits you’ll receive if your campaign goes viral can be beyond belief, but you must remember to work hard and put a lot of effort into all aspects of your social media campaign.
V7N has a couple of related threads on this topic: to help you ramp up your followers and contacts: Friends, Fans and Followers - How Did You Find Your New Best Buddy? and discussion on how your attitude toward social networking is changing due to the Confirmation that Twitter/Facebook Influence SEO.

We also have featured quite a few tips on social networking in this thread since the news broke on the impact of Facebook and Twitter on rankings in Google and Bing, and we have a thread to report social networking activity on V7N threads.

If you see something you like in V7N, and you Tweet or FB it, please let us know here: http://www.v7n.com/forums/forum-lobb...your-help.html. You will get some green rep, some gratitude and you will make Cricket’s Christmas!

Old 12-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Dec.26 2010 - SEO Smartphone Power Punch for

Headlines in SEO news today included CNN’s Seth Weintraub’s prediction: 2011 will be the year Androids explode.

Quote:
In 2011, we might see half a billion phones sold worldwide. Smartphones will likely blow by traditional computers next year as the way most of the world gains access to the Internet.
What does that mean to SEOs? Of course, it means websites need to be accessible in mobile phones, but that’s not just a design or usability issue. Think search accessibility. For example, brevity in title tags and punchy “front loaded” meta descriptions may have an edge in mobile search. You know most people want what they want and they want it now – and that's especially true with mobile users. So your message has to come across with a high impact, short tailed sting.

Think Power Punch!

Old 12-27-2010, 12:33 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day For December 27 2010 - Need More SEO Tools? Google Has Some!

We all would love to have an automated way to gather all the information we need to make the right SEO decisions for our sites but sometimes ya just have to do things manually and actually study the results to make the best decision of your site.

SEOmoz has a list of 10 SEO tools from Google:

Quote:
... we always want more as there are always some tasks that can be automated or made quick by using a tool instead. Google actually provides tools that can assist with SEO tasks; some of them you may know about, others may be new to you. Either way, I wanted to give you a run down of ways you can use Google to help with SEO tasks.
Need More SEO Tools? Google Has Some!

There isn't much talk in the SEO forum here about Google Trends and Wonder Wheel.

You should take another look at these and the rest of the SEO tools Google has to offer before paying for other services. You might find you are paying for information you could have got for free.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip for Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2010 - Taking Your SEO Stock and Planning Ahead

It’s the time of year to take stock of what you have accomplished and what you want to accomplish in the year ahead. In our personal lives we reflect with friends and family on what the past year held and we share our healthy ambitions in the form of New Year’s resolutions.

In the SEO business, this is an excellent time to take the pulse of your site’s marketing plan and search engine placement. How’s your traffic, did it meet projections? If not, why not? Is your bounce rate trying to tell you something? It’s time to check your Webmaster Tools, and Analytics and assess where you are and where you want to go in the New Year. What will you need to move forward? Do you resolve to add a blog; create that Facebook page; ramp up your Twitter presence?

As we look ahead, it can help to look at the trends in the business. What does the crystal ball hold for SEO in 2011? We have a thread on that for you here: My Five Top SEO Predictions for 2011 where you can also add your own predictions for the coming year. And we also have a thread where you can share your intentions for 2011: tell us your New Year's SEO Resolutions.

Old 12-29-2010, 12:39 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip for Wednesday, Dec. 29, 2010 - Create Content Others Will Want to Share

All the bookmarking, link building, paid advertising, etc. in the world isn't going to make your website or blog popular or sucessful unless you have content your target audience wants to see.

The following quote is geared towards bloggers but it applies to regular websites too:

Quote:
#1: Create Content Others Will Want to Share

All search engine optimization (SEO) starts with content. The first step to generating incoming links is to create content that others will want to share. Blog posts that solve problems, provide a valuable resource, entertain, demonstrate innovation or even create controversy can all generate incoming links. Average content won’t cut it. It needs to be outstanding.

Facebook, Twitter, Digg and other social media sites are driven by the desire to share. One of the quickest ways to build social media credibility is to share outstanding blog posts, videos or other online content. When you create content that will give Twitter users or bloggers credibility just by sharing it, you’re going to generate valuable incoming links.

Don’t forget to make your content easy to share by including TweetMeme, Digg, Facebook or other buttons that are easy to find and use.
7 Ways to Improve Your Blog SEO with Inbound Links

Study your target audience. Find what they are interested in, what areas of the subject are not being covered, what type of content they like then create that content!

Create the content other will want to share and all the promotion work will be done by your readers as they spread the word for you.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 PM
SEO Guru

For fast and better indexing. Try the following tips -
1. Make pages which are Search engine friendly. Avoid javascripts that will stop Crawlers to read the pages. Use simple HTML navigation.

2. Avoid heavy website designs. You should have a good site speed. Check some of free website speed testing tools - http://creativefan.com/top-10-free-w...testing-tools/

3. Create XML sitemap for your website and submit it in Google Webmaster Tools. If you have thousands of web pages in your web portal, then divide them in 2-3 XML sitemaps.

4. Submit your website URL into popular Social Bookmarking websites like Reddit. Social bookmarking sites mostly blessed with fast indexing of the URLs (because of the fresh content rolled every second and crawlers love fresh content).

Amit Verma - SEO Consultant New Delhi India

Old 12-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

One of our mentors, Wes Lefbevre, made an intriguing blog post yesterday, Do blekko and Google Completely Disregard Navigational Links?

Quote:
I don’t actually think Google completely disregards navigation links. However, after taking a closer look at blekko’s SEO tools, it appears in most cases blekko does and other search engines might too. If it’s that important and easy for a hip new search engine to do, then it makes me wonder EXACTLY how Google and the other major search engines treat navigational and other page links.
It's still too soon in this new search engine's life to care whether blekko ranks navigation links, but Wes' post can demonstrates how such an analysis might be approached.

And his post also shows us clever marketing ... he has chosen to explore a niche where few are competing -- this isn't Wes' first post on blekko. And since fewer SEOs analyze blekko than bing or the big G, he has a better chance to get attention. Plus he has compared blekko to Google, which helps the SEO audience find more relevance and creates a hook that makes a backlink (like this one) even more likely. Link bait, hook ... you know the angle.

If you want to explore more link bait ideas and strategies here's where you should go fishing.

If you're an SEO or webmaster, and don't know much about blekko, it's worth a look at their webmaster tools. Search your own domain, for an example, and then explore the links, SEO, and tools, just below. You can do that with your competitor's, too.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 12-31-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: New Year's Day, 2011 - SEO Success in Twently Eleven

May 2011 Be Your Year of Successful SEO!
  • May you find a deepening inspiration and creativity that leads to you create content that naturally attracts quality links.
  • May your understanding of SEO and site marketing grow, and may you easily put that understanding into action.
  • May you feel so grounded in your knowledge of SEO that you feel confident enough to write a tip for this daily thread.
  • May you be inspired by experts in your field; may you find Tweeters to Follow and bloggers to read.
  • May you have loyal readers for your blog, Followers and Retweeters, and Fans galore.
  • May you understand that the growing importance of social networking means that your relationships with others are equally important to successful marketing.
  • May you continue to feel the strength, welcome and opportunity that our V7N Community offers you. May you find what you need to know here and may you share what you have learned with other members. May you learn by experience that by offering help here, you build trust and a social network that is of far greater value than the link juice from a signature file. May you find yourself trusted by the community. May it bring you targeted traffic, connections for relevant links, blog post opportunities and camaraderie.
I am confident I may speak for our remarkable leader, Cricket, and the incredible team of V7N moderators and mentors when I say we wish all of you the greatest success in your endeavors in 2011.

We hope to be part of your success and you, a part of ours.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: January 2, 2011 - SEO Tips for 2011

Good afternoon everyone or evening depending on your time zone. 2011 has just started and SEO will most likley change again since we saw a lot of changes made in 2010 by google. Here are a few SEO tips for 2011 to think about.

Quote:
To kick-off the new year in style, we would like to share some practical SEO tips for 2011. Each keyword should be considered as a business decision, not a ranking conquest to quell competitors.

Search engine rankings requires time, energy and effort which is either (a) time you invest or (b) pay others to execute. Much like search engine marketing, you have to know the value of the visitor, what profits you can yield from conversion and whether or not you have the budget, time or energy to compete in that arena.

While it is better to build your website with the SEO ranking objective in mind, this is not always practical; as many business owners learn about SEO after they start their businesses and the website is already built.
Grab a cup of coffee and view the full blog post at: http://www.seodesignsolutions.com/bl...seo-tips-2011/

May 2011 be a successful year for you and focus harder on SEO. It will pay off later on down the road.

If you wish to comment on anything mentioned in this blog post, create a fresh thread on V7N forum if there is not one created already so we can discuss these tips in more details.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Mon., Jan. 3, 201 - Miss Toolbar PR? Study Your Crawl Rates

How Often Does Google Come Crawling To You?

Do you miss having PR accurately reflected in the toolbar? Your crawl rate can give you very much the same idea of how important Google thinks your pages are. Crawl rates are directly correlated with PageRank, so a study of how often the spider hits your pages can go a long way to fill in that blank.

How often is Google crawling your site – and what else can you learn from analyzing crawl rates?

You learn which of your pages carry the most trust or authority as well as which are least valued by search engines – valuable clues to help you determine which pages need more links and when you need to add content, updates or a post. You can also assess the value or authority of an incoming link. When you get a new link, note whether that link correlates with increased spider activity. If it does, that’s a pretty strong indication that it is a trusted link.

Page speed can influence crawl rate, too. The time it takes to load a page and its files – graphics, PDFs and videos -- impacts the total load on a search engine’s server. If your files are large, the crawler’s budget for your site may be reached before your entire site is crawled. Google made speed a ranking factor last year for more reasons than one.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Jan. 4, 2011 - Social Networking On V7N

What’s the SEO buzz for 2011? Well, it’s not Google’s Buzz, but it’s close: social media networking is where smart marketers will focus much of their off site SEO efforts.

We learned in the last weeks of 2010 that Twitter and Facebook does indeed influence rankings in Google and Bing. Fortunately for anyone reading this daily tip thread, you are in the right place to expand your sphere of influence. Forums are the original online social network, and remain one of the best places to find and explore new business contacts.

How to make the most of your V&7N forum membership and expand your social network:
  • Use your signature to invite V7N members and tell them why they should to Follow You on Twitter. It doesn't have to be a link to be an effective invitation. And pop over to this new thread and tell us why and how to follow you!
  • Be sure to have your blog in your profile (See http://www.v7n.com/forums/blog-promo...blog-post.html). Blogs are social media, too! Don’t have a blog? Get one today on wordpress.com and join the V7 Network 30 Day blog challenge. It’s already Day 2, but if you tell ‘em you heard about it here, they will let you join. What a terrific way to meet and get to know some new V7N folks and build your blog community.
  • Seek out members who have information you need or share your interests and topics. If you like what someone has to say, send them a PM and say so. Add them as a friend. Follow their posts and comment on them. Give them reputation points when they add something particularly helpful. Offer them a guest blog post; offer to write a guest blog post for them.
  • Don’t be shy. Ask anyway. Think I’m too busy to make another friend? Try me. I’m always up for a new connection. I can’t promise that we’ll click and be “new best friends,” but I hope you’ll give it a shot. We might have a lot to share. Or maybe just a little – a link, an idea, a smile or some encouragement. Follow me on Twitter, friend me on Facebook, take a chance.
In other words, network! We are all here to learn from one another and to help one another, and expanding your V7N contacts is an effective way to expand your network by leaps and bounds.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 01-04-2011 at 08:54 AM.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Jan. 5, 2011 - Directories, Yes, But Which Ones?

Directories are still of value for backlinks, but the question often remains: which ones provide trusted, authoritative links? How do you determine quality? Some times it pays to follow the pack and assume the most popular directories are among the highest quality. It's not the only metric to use, but it's a good place to start.

Some light may be shed in this list posted by one of our "challenge" bloggers (see Cricket’s 30 day blogging challenge): Info VileSilencer’s Top 20: Most viewed directories of 2010. Each listing in the directory of directories has a unique details page, handwritten by an Info Vilesilencer editor. The directories with the most-often -viewed details page made this list.
Quote:
Once again it comes as no surprise to see that the free web directories and trusted directories are dominating the most viewed list. Anyone who is well versed in the industry understands that free directories command a lot of traffic and will therefore gain the highest view counts - that also explains why there are a couple of low-ranked directories making this list. The trusted directory category contains directories who have been established for a long time and hold a strong reputation within the industry, so they will always have high view counts.
View the list: http://info.vilesilencer.com/blog/?p=249.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Jan. 6, 2011 - Going Local With Directories

Going Local - Directories for Local Results and Reviews

If you’re optimizing for local results you’ve already claimed your Google Places listing and made sure you’re listing in Yahoo Local, right? You don’t want to stop there. Get your business listed with as many local ‘yellow pages’ and directory sites possible to maximize your local profile. Many of these sites also offer users the opportunity to review your sites, and Google scrapes many of these sites for the reviews you see in Places - a very important factor in Places optimization, as I imagine you know. I’ve added (G) to those that we know Google Places uses. Some of these are free or have a one time fee like Judy’s Book ($9.95) but most are advertising. But the impact on local SEO means you want to fit as many into your budget as you can.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Jan. 7, 2011 - Reversing A Bad Rep

SEO For Reputation Management Case Study From SEOMoz

Reputation management SEO, sometimes called “reverse SEO,” was required for a SEOMoz client who was disturbed by what Google Suggest offered when a user typed their brand name into the search bar.

Quote:
As you began to type our client's brand name into Google Search, Google Suggest displayed our client's brand name + the word 'scam' as the second option, directly below their brand name. Talk about damaging your reputation!
SEOMoz’s revealed their indepth approach to the problem in a blog post yesterday: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/our-online...ement-playbook.

The client’s need for reverse SEO didn’t come from their own marketing effort, but that can happen. Self inflicted negative SEO can be a concern for companies and websites which outsource SEO and link building, need to be vigilant about tracking their practices. This post offers some pointers to those who outsource link building: http://explicitly.me/negative-seo-on...ares-come-true.
Quote:
Do you know what your SEO company is doing on your behalf? Do you keep an eye on their link building to make sure that all that they are doing are above board? Often penalties can be incurred purely by shady practices that clients had no clue were happening…
· Audit your SEO company regularly
· Try and get a list of all the links they acquire for you
· Stay away from companies that are reluctant to give you full reports on the activities they are carrying out on your behalf.
· Dont allow the {sic} to build ****ty links!

Last edited by mjtaylor; 01-07-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: forgot title

Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Jan. 8, 2011 - Stop Chasing Followers

Are you chasing Followers? Are you playing a numbers game, trying to gain as many fans or friends as possible? Yes? Then stop for just a moment, breathe and rethink your social media mania. What matters is not how popular you are, but what sort of trust or influence you have. You might have 1,000 followers, but if you aren’t feeding them the information they need, inspiring them or educating them, then all you have is a nice round number.

I’m not saying stop acquiring new contacts -- by all means, put "follow me" or Like on your blog, website and print media and add your information to V7n's new Twitter Profile thread. I am saying take your focus off of that and put it on providing information that followers in your niche will find useful. It doesn’t have to be original; it doesn’t have to lead to anything earth shattering or life changing. It just needs to be relevant – there’s that SEO word again – to your followers. Share inspirational quotes, Retweet items that catch your attention or teach you something new; Tweet breaking news for your industry, and of course, share your own content.

If you put your heart into offering relevant information to your followers, and stop worrying about how many there are, you may find you have the time to actually establish relationships with some of your followers. You will be more likely to build trust and authority. And isn’t it better to have real credibility with 100 people than none with 1,000? You do the math.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011 - 6 Ways to Sculpt Your Site's Link Equity

I was just looking around at the blogs i'm subscribed to and landed on this good one. Take a look at this when you have some extra time.

6 Ways to Sculpt Your Site's Link Equity

Quote:
PageRank sculpting with the nofollow attribute used to be all the rage until Matt Cutts shut the door on it almost two years ago. The upshot of this was that you could still use nofollow on links that you didn't want to vouch for, and no PageRank would be passed to them, but the nofollowed link would still consume PageRank.

In other words, nofollow wasn't a way to control the allocation of PageRank from the pages of your site.

Once Cutts made this clear, sites that were using nofollow to sculpt their site PageRank quickly began to remove the nofollow links. Many of these abandoned the idea of PR sculpting altogether. However, there are many ways in which sculpting can still be done.

PageRank, as defined in the original Sergey-Brin thesis, doesn't correctly capture the broader concept of "link equity." Link equity is the concept of the influence of links on a pages ability to rank for particular search queries. Link equity takes into account things like relevance, authority and trust, link placement and accessibility, the positive value of.....
Continued at: 6 Ways to Sculpt Your Site's Link Equity

Fee free to make a blog comment on this blog itself or create a thread in our SEO section referencing today's tip if you wish to comment on this.

Thanks

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum