Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-10-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Jan. 10, 2011 - TR More Important Than PR?

What’s Even More Important Than Page Rank? Maybe Even More Than Links. Try Trust Rank.

The term, Trust Rank is not new. There was a paper Combating Web Spam with TrustRank written by Standford U and Yahoo in 2004 that explored the idea of hand picking sites that were spam free, assigning them “top Trust Rank” and then assigning other sites diminishing TR depending on how many clicks it was from the “top” chosen trusted sites. Google also trademarked and but later abandoned the term Trustrank. In October 2009 a patent was awarded Google, that explored how trust and authority might be determined by a search engine.

In an analysis of the patent at SEOByTheSea, Bill Slawski wrote:

Quote:
Examples of indications of trustworthiness for some individuals participating at a site might include things like an auction sites which might use ratings to identify trusted buyers and sellers. Forums might use membership criteria and other factors to distinguish between the amount of trust that different posters might be perceived to have.
I believe those documents bear study for serious SEOs, but I think we can start by asking ourselves some questions that will help us determine whether we and our sites are building authority, credibility and the trust of our web site visitors, our followers and the search engines.
  • How can you tell if your site is trusted? How does it rank in the SERPs? Does it have sitelinks? What about its Google Places position?
  • What sites link to you? What sites do you link to? In other words, what’s your neighborhood?
  • Do you participate in umpteen blogs and forums, racking up links or do you concentrate in just a few where you can become known and trusted?
  • Do your Tweets get ReTweeted? Do you have to make an effort to get new followers, or do they just seem to keep adding you?
  • Has your web site always been squeaky clean when it comes to search engine guidelines – no keyword stuffing, no hidden links or text, etc.?
  • Is your content original and unique?
  • Does the site display full contact information, including a phone number and a brick and mortar address? Is there a privacy policy? Are terms and conditions (such as a return policy if applicable) fully spelled out? Is there an accessibility statement?

Other trust factors may include where the links come from. For example, links from footers and blogrolls are easy to come by, but a link in context from content may be considered a ‘citation,’ and might carry more “authority.”

Food for thought.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

In my SEO Predictions for 2011 I suggest the growing importance of mobile search means it will become equally important to standard web search in the coming year.

Quote:
If the prediction of CNN/Fortune’s Seth Weintraub is correct -- that ½ billion smartphones will be sold this coming year -- smartphones will surpass computers as a way to access the Internet in 2011. Optimizing for mobile search will become as critical as traditional website SEO. Most of the same principles apply but titles and descriptions need to be shorter and punchier – content, too! For some businesses, the ticket is to get a separate .mobi domain and gear a site entirely toward the mobile search audience. More on mobile search:
If your focus is shifting to mobile SEO, you may find a lot of food for thought and some solid tips in Rand Fishkin’s post today on the future of mobile search and SEO.

Among the the trends, Fishkin notes:

Quote:
Little need for a separate mobile site - Mobile copies of websites seem to me to be more likely to cause duplicate content issues, technical challenges, waste engineering resources and draw away attention from real mobile opportunities than to earn slightly higher rankings in mobile searches. Until/unless things change dramatically, I can't, in good conscience, recommend this practice (unless your regular site is absolutely unusable on a mobile device).
Read the entire post: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/whats-the...search-and-seo.

More recent information, tips and trend analysis for mobile SEO:

http://searchengineland.com/two-new-...for-2011-59983

http://searchengineland.com/the-new-...-to-know-40101.

Old 01-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Jan. 12, 2011 - Beyond Keywords & SERPs

What You Want Is Just a Click Away

The job of an SEO is simply to get the website at the top of the free listings, right? Wrong. I think there’s more to it than that. If you have placed your site in the number one position, but you haven’t optimized for click throughs, your job is far from complete. Both the title and the description need to be crafted to convince the searcher that what they want is just a click away.

The title has to do double duty – it is a critical element for search engine relevance, and it must also set the website apart from the competition. Think beyond keywords, think branding.

Your description should also be keyword rich - not because search engines use it for ranking; most don’t – but because users only click a link when they think the site has what they want. Descriptions must be highly relevant to the search query, and offer a benefit or appeal to a need.

The example above was the #1 listing in Google for ‘seo services.’ Not surprisingly, they provide a perfect example of good title and description optimization. The title clearly establishes the brand, and the description offers benefit after benefit to the user -- incredible results, no set up fees, performance based, hassle free service.

I'd click. Wouldn't you?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Jan. 13, 2011 - Link Equity Can Still Be Sculpted

PageRank Sculpting may be dead, but link equity sculpting isn’t, says link expert Eric Enge in an article on Search Engine Watch this week. There’s much more to the power of a link than just PageRank, says Enge:
Quote:
Link equity takes into account things like relevance, authority and trust, link placement and accessibility, the positive value of relevant outbound links, and the like.
Enge explores several ways you can sculpt link equity on your site. First on his list of 6 Ways to Sculpt Your Site's Link Equity is:

Quote:
1. Look at Your Footer
Most web sites include some sort of navigation in the footer for most or all of the pages of their web site. These footers commonly have a lot of pages such as About Us, Legal, Privacy Policy, and the like. As an example, let's look at the footer for Amazon.com:

Amazon.com has four links under Get to Know Us, five links under Make Money with Us, and five links under Let Us Help You, for a total of 14 links. This means that every page of the site has 14 links to these pages. Granted they are important pages that many users will want to access.

However, Amazon probably doesn't care if they get Google traffic for the phrase Investor Relations. Amazon could potentially collapse these 14 links into three pages using the headers for each as the page name. This would reduce the link drain from 14 internal links per page to three. This focuses more link equity on the other pages (the money pages!) of the site.
Read the other five: http://searchenginewatch.com/3641709.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Jan. 14, 2011 - Time To Rethink NoFollowed Links

Think nofollowed links don’t influence SERPs? Think again.

Google may say it doesn’t pass PageRank through a nofollowed link, but it never said they were worthless. Many expert SEOs I know are quite sure that nofollow links affect SERPs especially when the link is from an authority site. For example, we know that links from Facebook Pages and Tweeted links can have an impact on SERPs.

There is also some powerful anecdotal information from reputable sources to support the idea that nofollowed links are worth our time for more than traffic alone.

In the weekly Sphinn discussion last October 20, Do you think no-follow links are worth more than Google says? on Sphinn, Matt McGee wrote:
Quote:
I was having lunch with an SEO friend not long ago and we were both sharing stories of how competitors had built up dozens/hundreds of backlinks via blog comments. Not spammy comments, mind you -- actual, real and relevant comments but on blogs where the comment links were no-followed. This appeared to be, in one case, the primary link building method employed. This was in a small town where the person's competition hadn't done much in the way of link building and there wasn't an active "link scene" for Google to rely on as a signal. So, Google seemed to be relying on all these no-followed links as a signal and this company was killing it in the rankings. (Not my site, not my client so I have no idea if those rankings translated to sales, but you get the idea.)
We both agreed that we'd seen this kind of scenario and that, in some cases at least, no-follow links were influencing rankings.
So I'd say that, yes, in some cases where there aren't a whole lot of other ranking signals to use, no-follow links are definitely worth more than Google says. You?”
To which Jill Whelan replied:

Quote:
Of course they are!

Too many are nofollowing all links, or some links without having a clue as to what they're doing. Google has spent tons of time and energy in learning how to graph links in terms of their popularity and authority. There's no way they would simply ignore all that data becuase a bunch of dopes stuck an attribute on their outgoing (or internal) links for "SEO purposes"!
Wordtracker seems to agree. In a Q & A on link building, Ken McGaffin says:

Quote:
What kind of links does Google deem useless?

You might think that nofollow links are the obvious answer here but in practice any link from a quality site appears to be considered and therefore is not useless.

So if nofollow links are useful, what is really useless?

Paid links it discovers, links from directories offering no editorial value, links from link farms and artificial networks. Plus anything its algorithm (or a rare human intervention) considers to be spam.
Still thinking? I think it's time to put the focus on nofollow to bed with toolbar PR.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011 - Stop Making the 6 Biggest SEO Mistakes

Tonights tip is a simple one.

Stop Making the 6 Biggest SEO Mistakes

Quote:
January is a time to make resolutions, and then promptly fail to follow them. That said, it's also a time to for new beginnings, a chance to correct the mistakes of the past.

Within search engine optimization (SEO) there are plenty of mistakes that people make that they need to stop making. So if you do any of the following, it's time to stop, especially if you want a new beginning for your SEO in 2011.

1. Home is Not Where the Traffic is

Sure, it's your home page, but that doesn't mean that you want it to rank for the word "home." Unless you're a real estate company or a homebuilder, it makes no sense to call your home page "Home" -- and even then you'd want to expand that out with other terms that cover your business.

Your home page should be targeted to the primary terms that you're trying to rank for. For example, if you're a plumber, your home page title should target your plumbing services in your locality.

2. Moving the Staging Robots.txt....
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/3641725

There are also some blog comments on this blog post already you should take a look at. Feel free to post a comment on this blog also.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Jan. 16, 2011 - How SEO Avoids Website Prosopagnosia

My 3 day weekend is just about over and it went by way to fast. Here is todays tip to end this weekend.

How SEO Avoids Website Prosopagnosia and Makes Your Site Memorable

Quote:
Prosopagnosia. What the heck is that? This is what I found myself asking while listening to a recent Radiolab podcast. Turns out it refers to “facial blindness”—as in you are unable to remember and recognize any one’s face. Every time seeing someone is as if it were the first. How odd would it be to not remember the most distinguishing aspect of a person?

So what does this have to do with SEO? A website needs to make a connection and stick in the minds of those who visit. You don’t want your visitors to come up with a case of “website blindness.” Any customer who remembers your site is more likely to return. After all a return customer is of higher value than a one time customer.

SEO not only provides businesses with the online presence needed to increase in rankings, it also ensures memorability. Let’s take a look at a few ways effective optimization can ensure visitors remember your website...
Continued at: http://www.seo.com/blog/seo-website-memorable/

Feel free to post a comment on the blog post or create a thread on V7N forum if you wish to discuss anything mentioned in this blog post.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Jan. 17, 2011 - It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know

My mother wanted me to go to an Ivy League school, because It’s Not What You Know, she said, It’s Who You Know. I went to a Florida state school anyway, but Mama was right. Every job I ever got was connected to knowing the right person. And I never once needed a resume! It’s the same in SEO – and that’s especially true as Social Media becomes more important. Your profile and reputation on a forum, your connections on Twitter, your blogosphere; every place you find community online can bring you business. Or at least a link. Who you know can lead to collaboration on a project, a job, a link or a guest blog.

Forums: Put your best foot forward on forums. Stop posting just any old response to get that link, and start actually contributing. Create helpful threads. Find useful resources to add. You will attract the attention of the other reputable people on the forum and find yourself with valuable, new connections. You will gain respect, trust and more opportunities than you thought forums offered.

Blogging:
Have a plan. Confine your blog hopping to just those blogs that really interest you, and that you can keep up with on a daily basis. Stop worrying about whether your link will be followed; instead follow quality blogs that Google trusts. Follow “influencers.” You’re not after the comment links; you’re after a connection. Only respond when you have something to add. Go the extra step and find something that enhances the information presented. A reference or a well thought out response. Once you have followed a blog for a while, you will be able to relate your comments to earlier posts and to other ideas or topics you know the blogger is interested in. If the blogger has a schedule or a pattern, learn it; if you read it first, you can be the first to comment, and your ideas won’t get so buried in the pile.

Social Media: Yes, blogs and forums are also social media … but let’s add Twitter into the mix. Find the people in your field who are best known – the “influencers” in today’s parlance. Follow them; read their Tweets; reTweet the posts that interest you; respond to their questions. Interact where you can and once you have established contact – and trust -- let them know what you have to offer.

Bottom Line: Stop worrying about who's following you, and make sure you are following the right people.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues. Jan. 18 - Guide To Advanced Competitive Backlink Analysis

I rarely see an article that makes me sit up and say, whoa, that is way beyond what I know how to do or may ever try! But Justin Briggs'
Guide to Competitive Backlink Analysis really impressed me. This is true advanced SEO work, in my opinion. I haven't had the time to digest it fully, but I didn't want to wait to share it. If you are beyond basics and chomping at the bit for an in depth approach to assessing the link profile of the competition, this will meet that need.

Briggs says that his recent analysis on the SEO Strategy for the Mormon Church attracted a lot of attention. People wanted to know more about the tools he used. The post lays it out. Many of the metrics he uses are not available unless you subscribe to SEOmoz, but some are, and the process and reasoning he uses offers any SEO a lot of food for thought.

Read the artice: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/guide-to-...klink-analysis.

I will certainly be highlighting this information in our sticky on Really Helpful Link Building Tips shortly, as well. So, if there are points you want to discuss, please pop over to that thread.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed., Jan. 19, 2011 - Twitter Feeds Google Nofollow Free Links

Did you think Twitter all links are "nofollow?" I did, too, until I read this note by SEO Expert Danny Sullivan on a Matt Cutts video.

Quote:
If you read my article that's linked to in the description, it covers the issue of Twitter and nofollowing links. Basically, Google gets a feed of tweets where links are nofollow-free.
Yes, I read Sullivan's article last month in which Bing and Google confirmed links on Twitter and Facebook Pages impact SEO, but somehow I missed that detail. Here’s the Danny Sullivan interview: http://searchengineland.com/what-soc...ly-count-55389. Maybe we both should read it again.

This video below of Google’s Matt Cutts offers some insight into how social media may become even more important in rankings.

In this video, Cutts says Google is exploring using reputation as a signal “more widely in our web search rankings.“ He cautions against rushing out to get a “ton of follows” like we used to get “a ton of links.”

Quote:
In the same way that PageRank depends on not just the number of links but the quality of those links, you have to think about, what are the followers who mean quality. Who are the people who are actually not just bots or some software program or things like that …
[YT]ofhwPC-5Ub4[/YT]

Want to discuss this? We have two threads going on this topic:

Confirmation that Twitter/Facebook Influence SEO and Can Twitter Improve Your SEO?

Guess the answer to that question is increasingly positive!

Old 01-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs. Jan. 20, 2011 - Does Jill Know Jack?

Jill Says Google Sucks. Does Jill Know Jack?

Jill Whelan, on the off chance you don’t know her, is an SEO expert of the first degree. She certainly makes my top 5. And Jill says Google Sucks All The Way To The Bank. Does Jill Know Jack About Google? I think so. See what you think:

Quote:
Most of the time when I have a bit of a rant in the newsletter or elsewhere it's because I've seen or heard things that bug me or are just plain wrong. Writing about it gets it off my chest and that's usually the end of it. Unfortunately, that hasn't been the case with the Dear Google rant I had back in Sept.

It's not out of my system in the least.

In fact, the feelings I had in that "letter" are growing stronger every day. Most often I notice it when I analyze why certain pages show up highly in Google. It enrages me when I see many pages in the top 10 results that appear to have gotten there through anchor text comment spam. So I think to myself, "Write about it, you'll feel better." Then I remember that I already did write about it and I still don't feel better.

So I tweet snarky comments to Matt Cutts, as well as leave them on Sphinn, but it only makes me feel worse for being mean to Matt, who is a nice guy.
Read the rest of the article to see just how much Jill Knows Jack: http://www.highrankings.com/google-sucks-298

Old 01-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri. Jan. 21, 2011 - SEO Mistakes Small Businesses Make

Something for you small business owners doing SEO for yourself:
Quote:
For those in SEO and Internet Marketing it can be tough to stay up to date with all the changes that Google is making, all the changes Bing makes, the importance of Social Media – and so on and so forth. We live and breathe this information on a daily basis, most of us (and we admit it all the time) are search engine information junkies – how many of you can honestly say that you don’t go home, sit down with partner and kids – only to be bombarded with thoughts of new content, link building strategies and new post ideas?

But what about the small business guys?

Some of them buy SEO services, some of them have a day’s consultancy here and there, some of them see us speak at business and marketing conferences — but how much information can they really take in?

Realistically, the Internet Marketing/SEO industry contains a whole bunch of niche areas and the small businesses that have to do their own SEO and online marketing – bound by budgetary constraints – often make some fundamental errors.

We see them all the time, caused probably by information overload rather than poor information – when was the last time that you saw a spammer giving a presentation at a business conference?

So let’s address some of the mistakes and hopefully help a few of the guys that just don’t have a marketing budget.
Read more: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...#ixzz1Bge7Fu37

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday. Jan. 22, 2011 - How URL Competition Plays a Role

One of my favorite blogs (well one of many) just wrote a very good blog post that i thought i'd share with everyone for todays Tip of the Day. If you want to talk about it then create a fresh thread please and quote my post.

Quote:
If you know a little bit about search engine optimization (SEO) or have seen my free keyword research webinar replay, you’ll know that there are two important factors that determine the viability of a keyword:

1. The amount of search traffic a particular keyword receives; and
2. The competition for that particular keyword.

Both of these factors are what we investigate when performing keyword research because a keyword that isn’t being searched for isn’t worth our time (generally speaking), and also one that has a lot of competition may be too difficult to rank for.

On the competition side of things, there are a lot of factors to consider:

• The total amount of other websites that mention the particular keyword.

• The total amount of other websites that mention the particular keyword specifically in the title.

• The off-page SEO factors of existing websites that are already ranking highly for the particular keyword, including domain age, page rank and quantity & quality of backlinks.

• The on-page SEO factors of existing websites that are already ranking highly for the particular keyword, including having the keyword in the title, url, description and header of those sites.
Continued at: http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/url-competition-seo/

If you are using FireFox then get SEO Quake. Feel free to post your on the blog itself or like i mentioned earlier, quote my post when you create a fresh thread so we can discuss this Tip even further.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-23-2011, 01:34 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday. Jan. 23, 2011 - Keyword Research

You decide you want to create a blog post or a page on your website. Do your keyword research first! You may be surprised.

What You Think People Search For Might Not Be the Right Choice
What you think people would search for may not be what they are actually searching for. This could depend on your familiarity with the subject and your target audience's familiarity of the subject. Experienced vs Novice. It can also be that you just don't think the same way that the rest of the people do.

A thread has been started to discuss how you get from your keyword research stage to selection of the keyword phrase you will actually use: Selecting a Keyword Phrase

Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Jan. 24, 2011 - Low Quality Content Under Google Scrutiny

Are you Betting the Farm?

A Google post Friday on low quality content has SEOs abuzz. Content farms and vanilla content is about to be lined up in the cross hairs it would appear. On Friday Matt Cutts wrote (bold mine):

Quote:
As we’ve increased both our size and freshness in recent months, we’ve naturally indexed a lot of good content and some spam as well. To respond to that challenge, we recently launched a redesigned document-level classifier that makes it harder for spammy on-page content to rank highly. The new classifier is better at detecting spam on individual web pages, e.g., repeated spammy words—the sort of phrases you tend to see in junky, automated, self-promoting blog comments. We’ve also radically improved our ability to detect hacked sites, which were a major source of spam in 2010. And we’re evaluating multiple changes that should help drive spam levels even lower, including one change that primarily affects sites that copy others’ content and sites with low levels of original content. We’ll continue to explore ways to reduce spam, including new ways for users to give more explicit feedback about spammy and low-quality sites.
Also from Matt's post:
Quote:
As “pure webspam” has decreased over time, attention has shifted instead to “content farms,” which are sites with shallow or low-quality content. In 2010, we launched two major algorithmic changes focused on low-quality sites. Nonetheless, we hear the feedback from the web loud and clear: people are asking for even stronger action on content farms and sites that consist primarily of spammy or low-quality content. We take pride in Google search and strive to make each and every search perfect. The fact is that we’re not perfect, and combined with users’ skyrocketing expectations of Google, these imperfections get magnified in perception. However, we can and should do better.
In a post today, Google Gearing Up for Relevancy Changes, Aaron Wall asks:

Quote:
But what sort of sites are the content mills that Google is going to ramp up action on?

The tricky part with vanilla spam is the subjective nature of it. End users (particularly those who are not web publishers & online advertisers) might not complain much about sites like eHow because they are aesthetically pleasing & well formatted for easy consumption. The content might be at a low level, but maybe Google is willing to let a few of the bigger players slide. And there is a lot of poorly formatted expert content which end users would view worse than eHow, simply because it is not formatted for online consumption.
Wall suggests that sites that took a temporary dive last October only to surface again in November, may again find themselves in deep water.

Read Aaron Wall's entire post: http://www.seobook.com/google-gearin...vancy-changes;
Read Matt Cutt's entire post: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/...gine-spam.html.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Jan. 25, 2011 - Don't Chase Google's Algorithm

On January 14, 2011 Matt Cutts created a video for GoogleWebmaster Help that answered:
Quote:
Hey Matt, at PubCon you said that SEOs shouldn't 'chase the algorithm' and instead consider where Google might be heading in the future. Hence my - slightly cheeky - question is: Where is Google heading in the future? Tristan Perry, Cardiff, UK
His advise: Don't chase Google's algorithm but instead, provide what users want to see. This is what Google is striving for. They listen to users, and so should you so you and Google are on the same page.

Once again, good quality original content will win.

The video and thread for discussion has been started here: Where is Google heading in the future? - GoogleWebmasterHelp YouTube

Old 01-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2011 - Your Facebook Audience

Now that we know links from Facebook Pages have an impact on search engine rankings, many SEOs are putting more focus on building their FB Page audience. So, what’s the Number One reason people join a Facebook Page? What’s the number one reason people do anything? Hope of gain. A discount or a freebie might just be the way to get new fans. Freebies and discounts don't just win fans, they build loyalty. For example, I always buy my reading glasses and sunglasses from a certain optician because that store has always fixed things for me at no charge and they occasionally give me a glasses keeper or a new hard case. I don’t even look at glasses elsewhere anymore that I find frames I like better. They have my loyalty.

Once you have fans, keep them engaged! Continue to offer them value by creating content that is helpful. Tutorials and how-tos are popular. Pages also have forums; start threads stimulate discussion. And - back to freebies - let your fans know that specials and discounts will be announced on Facebook first.

A couple of useful threads:

Old 01-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Jan. 27, 2011 - Is Article Marketing Dead?

A few days ago, the SEO tip of the day noted that Google feels it has done a good job of ridding the SERPs of spam and is now taking aim at low quality content farms.

When we think of content farms we probably think of sites like eHow, but this video from Matt Cutts makes it pretty clear that article directories also fall under the same category - certainly in Google's eyes. Cutts suggests that Google gets complaints from searchers about “content farms or article banks.”

Cutts advice? SEOs shouldn’t chase the last algorithm change, instead they should try to predict where Google is going in the future. Stop chasing Google, and instead chase the user!

Quote:
Google is trying to figure out what users want … and so rather than you as a an SEO chasing after Google, and G chasing after what users want, if you chase directly after what users want, then both you and Google are trying to get to the top of the same mountain, in some sense. We’re both trying to figure out what users like, and that’s the … ideal sweet spot, where we’re pursuing the exact same things that you’re trying to bake into your website.
So, rather than scrambling around to recover losses in the SERPs when Google tweaks and updates the algorithm, put your attention on the user, knowing that Google is trying to give them what they want, too.

Is article marketing dead? Not quite yet, perhaps, but it is certainly in the cross hairs of Google's aim. Smart SEOs and webmasters will not want to waste too much more time on a tactic that Google has decided to target.

If you want to discuss these issues, we have a thread here: Where Google Is Heading.

Watch the video below for Matt’s clues about what Google is hearing from users about diversity in the SERPs, as well. :

[YT]IdmzKzuXurY[/YT]

Original url: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdmzKzuXurY

Old 01-28-2011, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Jan. 28, 2011 - Google Launched Algo Change Cutts Says

In Matt Cutts blogpost today he announced that an Algorithm Change Launched:

Quote:
I just wanted to give a quick update on one thing I mentioned in my search engine spam post.

My post mentioned that “we’re evaluating multiple changes that should help drive spam levels even lower, including one change that primarily affects sites that copy others’ content and sites with low levels of original content.” That change was approved at our weekly quality launch meeting last Thursday and launched earlier this week.

This was a pretty targeted launch: slightly over 2% of queries change in some way, but less than half a percent of search results change enough that someone might really notice. The net effect is that searchers are more likely to see the sites that wrote the original content rather than a site that scraped or copied the original site’s content.
The blogpost Cutts refers to, http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/...gine-spam.html, has been the topic of two SEO Tips of the Day this week:

Last edited by mjtaylor; 01-28-2011 at 04:07 PM. Reason: alignment of bullets

Old 01-29-2011, 06:21 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Jan. 29, 2011 - The Brand Of YOU!

With the increasing power of social media for SEO, traffic and influence, personal branding becomes more critical. In this video interview with Mari Smith she talks about How To Create Your Own Personal Brand on Facebook and Twitter.

Quote:
Mari talks about the Brand of You and how to monetize your personality on social media.

You’ll discover the steps needed to build your own brand equity with social media, along with some great tips for both the self-employed and people who work for large companies ...

Here are some of the things you’ll learn in this video:

* Why you need to carve out your position and brand equity
* How to start branding yourself on social media if you don’t have any brand equity online
* Why you need to use your name on social media
* How to brand yourself on your Facebook business page
* How Mari brands herself and what she does to craft the brand she represents
If you are already branding yourself on Twitter, share your profile here: Follow Me, Follow Me! Tell Us Why We Should Follow You.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 01-29-2011 at 06:30 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum