Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Jan. 30, 2011 - Two New Mobile SEO Tips

After several paragraphs of debate over whether 2011 is the year of mobile ( and I say it is) Bryson Meunier offers Two Solid New Mobile SEO Tips For 2011.

Quote:
Don’t Ignore Mobile Keywords

If you’re not yet using the Google Mobile Keyword tool to incorporate mobile search volume into the keyword research for your digital content, be it your desktop site or mobile site, you are ignoring 10% of Google’s total query volume.

According to recent data from Performics, at the current growth rate they expect to see mobile queries account for 16% of total clicks by September of 2011. Are you prepared to potentially lose out on 16% of total search traffic next year by ignoring mobile search?
And Meunier points out, it could be more depending on your industry and engagement level.

For full details on mobile search queries and the second tip, read the rest of the article: http://searchengineland.com/two-new-...or-2011-59983/

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 01-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Jan. 31, 2011 - Make It Easy For Users To Add A Review!

We all know that getting reviews is great for Local SEO, but if you're like me, you find it challenging to make it easy for customers to add reviews for your or a client's business. Until today! I just found a handy widget/badge from BrightLocal that solves the issue in a snap! There are several sizes of badges from a 150 or so pixels to much larger, that look something like this:

The badge can be customized to connect users to your listings at any of these sites: Google Maps, Yahoo, Bing, Yelp, CitySearch, YellowPages, foursquare, insider pages, Local.com, BOTW, BizJournals, DexKnows, Merchant Circle and Judy's Book. The badge also includes a recommend button for Facebook and Twitter, naturally.

It automatically searches the directories for your listings, but gives you a chance to change any mistakes or add listings not found. The site neatly generates a bit of code to add to your website, and voilà! it's easy to send customers to the right place to add a review.

Old 02-01-2011, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011 - Making Friends With Social Widgets

Button, button, who's got the button? In my continuing exploration of social networking and SEO, I have been looking at various ways to encourage website visitors to join on Facebook and follow on Twitter for both my own and client sites. Personally, I am leaning toward the concept of a right floating tab with several icons in it as it looks in this image (I found here):

"Floating" means the tab stays put when the user scrolls up or down the page. I haven't found a widget that will do that for traditional, static websites, but it can be done with CSS.

I did find an excellent article that outlines the top ten social widgets here: http://brightpinkstudio.com/pinkink/...rking-widgets/ with a handy comparison chart:

If you aren't encouraging all your visitors to connect with you on social networks, choose one of these, install it on your site and start increasing your circle of influence now!

There's a discussion going on here about whether there is a widget to do this for static websites if you have something to add:
Like and Follow Button Discussion.

Some special social buttons here: Fabulous Social Icon Buttons.

Old 02-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011 - Blekko Bans Content Farms Outright

Blekko Joins Google in the War On Low Quality!

Blekko, the search engine for slash tags and SEOs, has taken steps to combat spam, just like its giant competitor, Google. A tech crunch article reported Monday, that blekko has banned these content farms outright:

Quote:
ehow.com
experts-exchange.com
naymz.com
activehotels.com
robtex.com
encyclopedia.com
fixya.com
chacha.com
123people.com
download3k.com
petitionspot.com
thefreedictionary.com
networkedblogs.com
buzzillions.com
shopwiki.com
wowxos.com
answerbag.com
allexperts.com
freewebs.com
copygator.com
It may appear to users that blekko is simply following Google’s lead. If you have been following this thread you know that low quality content has come under Google scrutiny and that Google Launched An Algorithm Change in part of an ongoing, stepped up campaign to combat spam.

Head’s Up! The ability to create your own links is being targeted!

I call blekko the "SEO’s search engine" because it has such terrific webmaster tools that anyone can access, regardless of site ownership. Check our tip on using these tools. It is also a social search engine, and lets you connect your Facebook account so that you can see what your friends have "liked" when they come up in search results.

We have a discussion thread on blekko banning content farms here: http://www.v7n.com/forums/seo-forum/...ghlight=blekko

Old 02-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011 - How Google May Combat Low Quality

How Google Might Algorithmically Combat Content Farms

So, the war is on! Blekko is banning sites and Google is taken the algorithmic route. Advanced SEOs may want to examine how that might be done. From Bill Slawski of SEO By The Sea, we've learned to look to Google patents for insight.

When Google announced its new campaign against spammy, low quality content Bill Slawski noticed that Cutts used the term “document level classifier” and so Slawski started digging around the patents.

Quote:
When I got to the section of [Matt Cutts'] post about a “redesigned document-level classifier,” I started asking myself “What Matt might mean by a document level classifier, and how it might work to reduce the amount of spam found in search results.”

To provide a little insight into what a Document Level Classifier is, and how it might work, I dug into Google’s patents to see if I could find and example of a patent that specifically referred to a document level classifier that I may not have written about before.
Slawski discusses several patents and how they might apply to Google’s target on spam today. One patent includes a list of examples of spam:

Quote:
· Whether the text of the document appears to be a normal language or language that might have been generated by a computer. For example, it might contain a large number of keywords, but not any actual sentences.
· Whether or not the page uses meta tags, and if it does, whether or not those contain a large number of repeated keywords.
· If there are scripts in the document redirecting visitors to another document upon when they access that page.
· If the text on the page is the same color as the background of the page
· Whether the page contains a large number of unrelated links
· Looking at the history of the document, and whether certain things might have changed, such as the content, the linking structure, and possibly the ownership of the document/
· The amount of links and anchor text on a page. If there are a lot of links, and very little text that isn’t, that could be a sign that the page is web spam.
For those who want to dig a little deeper or understand more, read the entire post: Document Level Classifiers and Google Spam Identification.

-----

Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Feb. 4, 2011 - Two Tips Plus A Challenge!

It’s always a treat to discover a new resource for great SEO Tips and today’s tip includes meeting that new resource (John McElborough) as well as several of his ideas to make quick SEO improvements to your site. Some, such as adding Tynt we’ve covered before, but most are new to this thread. I particularly like this suggested Juice Recovery Tool:

Quote:
The juice recovery tool is part of the Cemper Link Research Tools. It looks for links to broken pages on your site and lets you download an htaccess file to redirect all those pages to your homepage. Not a new idea, but definitely a quick way to do it. My last report found 10 links to broken pages, redirecting these is like gaining 10 new links. Nice…
Time taken – 10 minutes (+ about 30 mins for the report to run)
and

Quote:
Search for brand mentions which don’t link
Again not a new technique and it doesn’t always work that well but when it does you get a super quick list of top quality link prospects to email. This is simply a case of running “your brand name -linkdomain:yourwebsite.com” (not sure if this still works in the US?)…
Time taken – about an hour, depending on the number of results
You'll want to read the details on those two ideas here: http://www.johnmcelborough.com/quick-wins along with several other power tips. I found more than a couple of other worthy posts on SEO and link building from the self styled, one and only John McElborough. You may want to browse his blog.

Bonus Tip: sometimes all we lack is structure. If you have been meaning to really learn about search engine marketing or social networking or French verbs you might want to join V7N’s 30 Day Challenge: Learn Something New Every Day. It not only provides an incentive to grow, but it builds your network on V7N. It doesn't matter what you want to learn, just that you want the motivation to get new knowledge and skills. So, if that's you, this challenge is for you. See all the details on the challenge here: http://blog.v7n.com/2011/02/03/learn...day-challenge/.

I’m in! Are you?

Old 02-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Feb. 5, 2011 - Asking For A ReTweet

Article Marketing May Be Under Fire But Good Marketing Will Prevail

If Google is able to successfully target lower quality content farms, article directories may find themselves losing their sheen. But I predict EzineArticles.com will simply get more popular. Quality does have a way of rising to the top of the SERPs and everything EA does strikes me as well done. For example, I got a newsletter this week from EzineArticles asking me to Retweet their tips. Each tip had a loaded ReTweet, making it easy to help them improve their "Tweet Authority."

Read the rest of the tips: http://blog.ezinearticles.com/2011/0...t-jan2011.html

SEO takeaway: use your newsletter and website to ask your customers and visitors to Retweet your information. But remember; it has to be worth Retweeting.

Do you like this tip? Click here to ReTweet it!

Last edited by mjtaylor; 02-05-2011 at 07:42 AM.

Old 02-06-2011, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

When I wrote yesterday's tip, I decided to add a link to request people ReTweet it. I hadn't made a ReTweet link before, so I Googled it. I tried a couple of methods, including a tool that is supposed to convert the message, but in the end it worked best for me to do it manually. This site made it easiest: I followed these instructions from http://yellow-candy.blogspot.com/200...r-tweets.html:

Quote:
Than type your message like this,

http://twitter.com/home?status=RT @zeeshanraza How to put a Retweet link in your Tweets http://tinyurl.com/86qc3h

Now you wanna remove all the spaces in between with %20 and all the @ ("at" sign) and #(hashtag) with %40 and %23 respectively.

so now you get a pretty long and ugly looking URL like this

http://twitter.com/home?status=RT%40...nk%20in%20your %20Tweets%20http://tinyurl.com/86qc3h

Test your URL in a web browser, and than shorten when it works fine.

thats it, now you are ready to tweet with a RT link.

Pretty simple, eh? It took me a few tries to get all the code in the right places, but it worked.

This converter can help: http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/ht...rlencoding.htm, but it only replaces the spaces with
%20; you will need to manually @ with %40 and # with %23.

Do you like this tip? Click here to ReTweet it!

Last edited by mjtaylor; 02-24-2011 at 12:02 PM. Reason: add converter link

Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip for Monday, Feb. 7, 2011 - Linked Up On BusinessCard2.com

I am always up for a new way to get a quality link, and today I added a client’s particulars to businesscard2.com. A simple page is free and it allows you to add links to most social media profiles, as well as your website.

Before I signed up a client, I searched ‘real estate site:businesscard2.com’ to see examples of other pages relevant to my client’s business. It was a snap to set up; just have your social profile URLs handy.

There is a premium version for $5/month which allows you to have live chat, a custom skin (20 templates) and a custom URL. The URL I got for my client was adequate, though, as it does allow keywords: http://keywestrealestate.businesscard2.com/.

Quote:
BusinessCard2™ is an online service that lets these professionals create brand awareness and visibility, generate more business leads, and build relationships with new customers. It's a marketing platform for networking and exchanging business cards on the Internet without face-to-face interaction.

We're all about professional identity management. We let you create, control, and leverage your online identity via a highly portable and interactive online business card. Your BusinessCard2 aggregates all your identity assets into one lightweight package, which our service then helps you distribute widely, giving you the ability to digitally interact with new prospects anywhere, and establish real-world relationships with them. And, of course, you can also distribute your card yourself -- for example, by including a link to it all your emails, and easily embedding it in any of your own web sites or blogs.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip for Tuesday, Feb. 8, 2011 - Successful Link Building Catastrophe

A Wrong Made Write - We Can Learn From The Mistakes Others Make

You have to admire someone who admits it when they were wrong – even moreso when they do it publicly. In
Mea Culpa: How I Failed At Link Building, Adam Audette exposes his own failure at link building and gives others the chance to learn from his mistake.

Quote:
I write this article to demonstrate how easy (and what folly) it is to put your principles aside in place of other, less important, motivations.
Audette says he avoids the risk of paid links for his clients, but:

Quote:
What about other types of links that, while they could be deemed "manipulative" are really just exploiting direct link sources out there? I'm talking about links from domains like http://www.ted.com/, and http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/, and http://boxesandarrows.com/.

Links from those types of sites may not seem risky at all, but they do actually introduce an element of risk. Read on to find out why.

Profile links aren't a new tactic. They're as old as the snow (well, maybe not that old).

Ironically, they can work, especially for deep, thinly linked URLs on strong domains. They work because they're direct, followed links from high PageRank domains. Some even allow you to customize the URL according to your profile name, add a photo or two, and add multiple links and text with any anchor text you want.

But while they can work, they aren't a strong signal of quality or a shining example of quality link building. They also won't stand the test of time.
So a big whopper of a client comes along, and here’s where Audette makes his mistake – he goes after profile links to do the job. They worked, but they were low quality and the client balked:

Quote:
The truth was, they were junk -- even though they were working. They were junk because these links only served one purpose: to feed the bots. They weren't links meant for human consumption; they weren't a valuable addition to the web.
Regardless of how well they worked, they made us look bad.
Read the rest of the gory details: http://searchenginewatch.com/3641849

Thanks for sharing your experience so that others may learn from it, Adam. Quality not quantity is today's takeaway.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 02-08-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Jan. 9, 2011 - Flickr for SEO

If your business has strong visuals you should be posting photos, optimized for search engines and traffic, on Flickr, Here are some ideas to enhance the presence and search-ability of your images and Flickr account:
  • Use high quality photos
  • Name them accurately with targeted keywords
  • Use your flickr images in your blog posts to increase traffic back to your flickr account
  • Use a plug in to create a slide show of your flickr images on your blog
See 10 Tips to Get Started Using Flickr.

If you’re already a power flickr user, you may be interested in this post on how Flickr determines whether photos are “interesting.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, Jan. 10, 2011 - Improve Organic Search Results

Todays tip is as follows...

How To Improve Organic Search Results With A Simple Site Audit

Quote:
Having a search engine friendly website, a site with no barriers to the search engines is critical to success within “organic” search engine results.

Here are some relatively simple SEO Site Review/Audit steps that should help you flush out the most important site wide issues within a small to mid size website.

A SEO site review or audit should be conducted periodically; for example, a few weeks to months after a website is redesigned or after a major update, to allow enough time for the site to be fully re-indexed.

Anytime organic search engine traffic takes a significant drop a SEO site review might help you determine the cause.

You should also consider a site review if one hasn’t been conducted within the last couple of years, in order to incorporate new developments with the major search engines.

Finally, a SEO review or audit should be considered during site redesign planning to flush out any issues with the current website that should be addressed in the new design.
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/how-to-i...te-audit-63696

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Feb. 11, 2011 - Show & Tell: Google Snippet Tool

It's easy to forget that the optimization in SEO isn't just about where you rank in the SERPs, but also includes how a site appears in the SERPs as well; that is, how appealing to the user it is. The title tag and the description should not just invite but compel users to click onto the site. You might find it helpful to be able to see how Google will display your snippet. The Snippet Optimizer does just that. Fill in your title, description and URL and it shows you what searchers will see in Google. For example, I filled in a possible revision for a client site and got this display:

which I prefer to the existing:

There are some good tips on writing better meta descriptions here: http://www.seohosting.com/blog/seo-b...-descriptions/. For example (bold added):

Quote:
Think of it as ad copy—Your search listing is competing against about 14 other listings (including PPC ads) for a click. It’s your job to stand out from the crowd and earn that click. That’s why you need to think of your meta description as a mini-ad. You have to give people a reason to click your link. Don’t just have some boring, generic description. Focus on a benefit and get them to take action.
Related V7N SEO Tips and Threads:

Old 02-12-2011, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat, Feb. 12, 2011 - Questions To Ask After A Site Links To You

it's the weekend and time for us to relax. Here just some questions and answers for you to read.

9 Questions To Ask After A Site Links To You

Quote:
Inbound links increase the value of your website in the eyes of Google and the other search engines. And, they help more people find your website and all you have to offer. Each inbound link is like your website just got another vote of confidence.

So, once the link has been set up, your job is done. Or is it?

Getting links to point to your site is one of the most challenging parts of search engine optimization, but link building doesn’t end once a link has been set up.

In fact, getting that link should only be the first step in a long-term link building strategy...
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/20...e-links-to-you

Post your comments on the webpronews blog or create a thread about this topic if you wish to discuss it on V7N forum.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Feb. 13, 2011 - Going Green: Recycling Old Blog Posts

Have we covered recycling old blog posts? We try not to repeat tips in this thread and considering that the SEO Tip of the Day has been going for 11 months, I think we are doing pretty well. Besides if we were to recycle a tip on recycling, it would at least be a green thing to do, right?

I can think of a few of good reasons to recycle old blog posts:
  • You can’t think of anything new to blog about;
  • Updating great content that already attracted links could attract more; and
  • A post that never quite got the attention it deserves could get the sizzle it needs to attract some links

Nicholas Cardet’s post on Reviving Amazing Content: How to Effectively Recycle Old Blog Posts offers tips on recycling a post:
Quote:
  1. Leave the Permalink Alone: If you want to keep growing the page rank of your article then be sure to leave the permalink alone. This allows you to bring in a fresh wave of links to a page that already has links.
  2. Build Fresh Excitement into the Title: The first thing that people see is the title. Take everything you know about writing titles and put it into practice. Make it bold, exciting, and catchy.
  3. Leave the Permalink Alone: If you want to keep growing the page rank of your article then be sure to leave the permalink alone. This allows you to bring in a fresh wave of links to a page that already has links.
  4. Build Fresh Excitement into the Title: The first thing that people see is the title. Take everything you know about writing titles and put it into practice. Make it bold, exciting, and catchy.
  5. Revise / Rewrite the article: Now when you recycle the article don’t think that you’re going to get away with republishing the exact same thing. Use the old version as a starting point for a new more vibrant article.
  6. Add Fresh Ideas and Experiences: Infuse into your writing everything that you’ve learned or experienced since you first published the article. Don’t leave the experiences in there that you lived six months ago. Make it fresh.
  7. Remove Obsolete Concepts: If you made reference to something that’s no longer valid like something in the news or a personal opinion that is now developed in a different direction then pull it out and replace it with your new ideas.
Here are some other tips on revitalizing old posts:

SEO Tips: Increase Page Rank By Revitalizing Your Old Posts.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Hello mjtaylor, I am struggle to find an answer for "How i set up google alerts for my targeting keywords?" .

Can you give some detailed idea for setting Google alerts to my targeting keywords.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi View Post
Hello mjtaylor, I am struggle to find an answer for "How i set up google alerts for my targeting keywords?" .

Can you give some detailed idea for setting Google alerts to my targeting keywords.
Not MJ but here ya go: How to Create a Google Alert

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, Feb. 14, 2011 - Ten SEO Content Strategies

In a Search Engine Watch article yesterday, 10 Types of Helpful SEO Content, Mark Jackson suggests that despite that fact that paid links still work, content is still the ticket to success. I do believe that's true when it comes to users. You might be able to manipulate search results with a paid links scheme, but if you don't have the goods -- the content -- when the searcher arrives, you've wasted your money on links.

Jackson offers ten content strategies, including pointers on the synergy of Facebook, Twitter and your blog.

Quote:
Blog Content: Does your target audience ask questions and/or research products on the search engines? Chances are, yes, they do. Your blog is a wonderful opportunity for you to create helpful/resourceful (linkable) content that answers questions that your target audience is asking. Creating this content in a search engine friendly manner -- meaning, you should do a little keyword research, (perhaps even use WordTracker's Keyword Questions Tool), and make sure that your blog is set up for permalinks, where the title/URL and header are in sync with one another -- you can be well on your way to creating some solid content that will benefit your website, in many ways.
Read the rest of the article: http://searchenginewatch.com/3641874.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, Feb. 15, 2011 - Google Sets for SEO

You’ve probably read suggestions of using Google Sets as a keyword research tool. I’m not sure that’s the best use of the tool; I think there are plenty of keyword tools available as it is. But I do think that Google sets can give you an idea of what other terms are likely to appear on a page with the keywords you enter. I wouldn’t exactly call this a tool for LSI (latent semantic indexing), but perhaps it is something along those lines.

From "Patent Student" Bill Slawski How Google Sets Work:
Quote:
The simple explanation of how the program works is that Google attempts to identify lists on the web as it crawls pages. It may look for these lists by considering:
· HTML tags (e.g., <UL>, <OL>, <DL>, <H1>-<H6> tags).
· Items placed in a table,
· Items separated by commas or semicolons,
· Items separated by tabs.
· Other ways.
From Google Sets:

Quote:
Sets identifies groups of related items on the web and uses that information to predict relationships between items.
To test whether lists – or at least the ones I found - are related terms with SEO value, I took the terms I got when I entered
premium, web, & directory:
Quote:
search, online, tools, software, web2.0, reference, free, design, blogs, web design, social, ajax, blogging, community, tool, business, webdev, google, media, resources, rss, programming, tech, bookmarks, video, shopping, marketing, tutorials, css, technology, research, javascript, people, html, fun, art, information, photography, photo, seo, tips, resource
and created additional new text to add to my directory’s home page. At the moment Arabule (see my signature for link) is at #4 for premium web directory in G. I have not built any new links lately or made any other on-site optimizations. I considered creating bulleted lists as part of the experiment, but the design template of the directory isn’t really conducive to that. So, I stuck with a paragraph. The new text is what is not boldface in the top text on the directory. I'll let you know what I learn.

Today’s takeaway: explore and experiment with SEO tools - specifically see what Google Sets turns up for you and how you might use it.

Was this useful? Click here to ReTweet it!

Last edited by mjtaylor; 02-15-2011 at 11:55 AM.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011 - Advanced Link Analysis For SEO

In a recent post, How Link Analysis Works for SEO, SEO Theorist Michael Martinez outlines how to approach advanced link analysis for search engine optimization. Martinez, who is very much against competitive link analysis, looks at both on-site and off site link analysis. He starts with an examination of the types of internal links websites have and their functions, covering:
  • Incidental Links
  • Primary Navigation Links
  • Secondary Navigation Links
  • Cross-promotional Links
  • Functional Links
  • User Links
  • Outbound Link
Quote:
These seven types of links work together to create a good user experience. They are also the tools we use to manage Crawl and to prioritize pages within site structures. These links are tightropes of our logic that keep our Websites acting like miniature Webs.

Every reasonable SEO audit or site review makes at least a cursory inspection of on-site linkage. In fact, on-site linkage is the most important part of the Website because broken links, badly placed links, obscured links, deceptive links, noisy links, et. al. can create havoc for the user and/or crawlers. SEOs should be spending far more time looking at on-site links than at off-site links.
Read the entire post:http://www.seo-theory.com/2011/02/11...works-for-seo/

I have also summarized Martinez’s examination of link analysis of other sites on this thread on Top Ten Checklist For Link “Quality Rank.”

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum