Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-29-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues., March 29, 2011 - From Matt Cutts: 8 Tips for Link Building

V7N covered these excellent link building tips from Matt Cutts last year, but they are timeless and bear repeating while we wait for Matt to show up and Make Our Day with a new one! I ran across this article yesterday which does a nice job of transferring Matt’s ideas from video to text.

Be Controversial:
Quote:
It’s a fact – “When you complain, people listen”. Matt admits it’s not his favorite technique, but creating controversy does cook up a storm. This is one of the easiest link baits as it grabs eyeballs. Matt adds that many people choose a company or known person and find faults or pick on them and exaggerate the situation.(Source)
Make Lists – Resources are valuable. How about a list of the top blogs in your niche – yes, you can include your site in the list. And yes, you will be linking out, but you will also be telling Google, this is my neighborhood. Letterman style “top ten” lists are very popular. If Matt doesn’t show up soon to leave a tip, then I will have to create one of those myself, I think.

Original Research – It doesn’t have to be complicated.
Quote:
Matt says that you can use already available data and make comparisons, get statistics and come out with a whole new angle to it. Offering something new is an important aspect of encouraging incoming links. He gives an interesting example where Danny Sullivan compared how well different web mail services were able to de-spam his inbox. Spam mail is an old topic but what he did was compare how much spam he got and how many mails were mistakenly sent to spam in the different mail services. He got a lot of interesting data which he blogged about and many people linked to him.(Source)
Other ideas:
  • Blog - It's your online business card, Matt says
  • Make Videos
  • How To' and Tutorials (could be done as videos, too!)
  • Offer Useful Products and Services

And my personal favorite:

Participate In Online Communities – such as the V7N forum. The idea is not to sign up and spam, but to actually be helpful and answer questions. If you take the time to offer information, others will remember that and link to you.

I can personally attest to the value of online participation. I have been given many guest blog spots as a result of hanging out here and there online. Matt I think it's time for you to participate in *this* online community, don't you?

Watch the entire video:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you dont have Flash installed.

Surely there is another link building idea that you didn’t share in this video. We’re all eyes, Matt!

Folks: Please Let Matt know you want him to come by and leave a tip by ReTweeting This Tip. Thank you!

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 03-29-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. Mar 30, 2011 - Facebook Marketing Tips From Matt (Not!)

Matt Cutts and Google confirmed in recent months that the search giant does look at the links on Facebook Pages as a ranking factor. So, with a nod to Matt, today’s tip focuses on recent changes to FB Pages and how to maximize your marketing.

Social maven Mari Smith covers the topic for Social Media Examiner in an 11 minute video to help you get a handle on your business’s Page. You will learn:

Quote:
  • What the new Tab navigation means for you
  • How to set keywords to create your own spam filters
  • How comments show up when they’re flagged as spam
  • How to change your settings to get notifications by email
Most important: the short video is packed with tips for your Facebook marketing campaign. My favorite is her suggestion on how to utilize the photo strip across the top with calls to action. She explains in detail how to design and size the custom graphics, and how to make them link to more information. See 6:18.

Mari suggests you interact with other businesses that are related but not competitive to your own. Don’t just push your own agenda! As always, the watch word is quality. Be sure you are adding value when you post as your business! Provide information or content that serves the fans of that Page.

Be personal! It's great that your Page can now Like and interact on other Pages, but when you are interacting on Facebook as your Page, be sure to sign your comments with your names to personalize your posts. People are more inclined to engage with people than with a business, aren’t they?

And don't think we have let up on Matt! We are still waiting for Matt Cutts To Make V7N's Day with an SEO tip for this thread. Please pop over there and see how you can help! Thanks!

You can help V7N if you ReTweet This Tip!

Last edited by mjtaylor; 03-30-2011 at 09:54 AM.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, March - Quality Is The Only Watchword

If there’s one word we hear with every tip or comment on SEO, it’s quality. Every other sentence out of Matt Cutts seems to have the word quality in it. Not to mention, Google’s recent Panda/Farmer Update was an intention assault on low quality, content “farms.” According to Google:
Quote:
This update is designed to reduce rankings for low-quality sites ....
If we've heard this so often, why is it so hard to comply? Is it that we don't know how to tell the difference? When a member asks about building links on forums, why are the answers most often "blog commenting, article directories ...." instead of, "create content that attracts links?"

Quality content:
  • Provides useful information.
  • Is unique – it may be information that’s available elsewhere, but it’s presented in a different format that makes it more accessible, perhaps. It reflects thought and analyis that sets it apart from the rest.
  • Is user focused – you may be promoting a product or service, but the content focuses on how you meet the needs of the customer.
Here’s what Google told Vanessa Fox when asked for advice on sites affected by Pandamonium.

Quote:
Google has always said that the best practices for sites are to work on original content, original research, authoritative information, or other compelling ways of adding value for users. A site that users love or mention to their friends is the sort of site that Google typically wants to return in our search results. A good litmus test is to ask “What unique or compelling value does my site offer that other sites don’t?”
I'm not saying forums or blogs aren't of any use! As social media, they are another way we establish relationships and they are excellent ways of alerting others where to find the quality content you have on your site. I am saying, if you participate on a forum or comment on blogs, that quality is still your watchword!

Here’s hoping Matt Cutts will add a quality SEO tip to our thread.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, April 1, 2011 - Matt Cutts Shows Up!!!

April Fool's! Matt has still not shown up to Make V7N's Day. But I remain optimistic.

[leaving space for Matt's tip]
--------------------
Tell Matt Cutts what you want to know.

If you want Cutts to stop by, please help spread the word, then please ReTweet today's tip . See more on how to help here: http://www.v7n.com/forums/forum-lobb...ml#post1632293. Thanks!

SEO Takeaway: Persevere and aim for the top. Create quality content and Matt and others to do the same. That's no foolin', April or otherwise.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 04-01-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat. April 2, 2011 - How Long To Leave 301s in Place?

Today's tip is from Matt Cutts! What a surprise. We had to cheat a little to get it -- we are borrowing a recent video from the Google's webmaster channel on YouTube that answers the question:

When I change domains, how long should I leave the redirects in place?

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you dont have Flash installed.

Cutts only addresses how long it will take Google to understand a domain has moved. The video doesn't address issues with links to the old domain.

Webmasters tend to use 301s not just to say, hey, G, we moved over here, but to ensure that any link juice to the old domain is redirected to the new one. I'd advise webmasters to keep the old domain hosted and the 301s in place until you can get the URL changed on any quality links coming to your site.

My question of the day: when will Matt stop by and Make V7N's Day? If you have a question for Matt, here's a thread for you: http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...want-know.html.

Retweet If You Want To Invite Matt to V7N.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 04-02-2011 at 08:11 AM.

Old 04-02-2011, 11:37 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sun. April 3, 2011 - Confirmed SEO Facts (by Matt Cutts)

Matt Cutts posts videos on the GoogleWebmasterHelp channel at YouTube. There are lots of SEO tips in his videos so it is really worth following this channel at YouTube to get information straight from Google, instead of listening to hear say or rumours that float around the net.

Confirmed SEO Facts (by Matt Cutts) by Spotted Panda has compiled some of the facts they found by watching these videos. The information is divided into the following sections:
  • On-site SEO factors
  • Links and off-site factors
  • Other interesting facts
Have a read through these SEO facts the author and if you would like to further discuss any of them, start a thread in our Google Forum after searching the forum and not finding threads I already started for videos at GoogleWebmasterHelp.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM
V7N Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Mon. April 4, 2011 - How Google Search Works

This tip is very, very basic, but I have found so many people that truly do not have a basic understanding of how Google works that I decided to post it.

(Forgive me if this video has already been posted in here.)

How Search Works

+ YouTube Video

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 04-05-2011, 06:02 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tue. April 5, 2011-Overdoing url removals

Just now I visited Matt's blog and I'm sure this tip is not old (well, hopefully).

Quote:
If you have a lot of urls that you don’t want in Google anymore, you can make the pages return a 404 and wait for Googlebot to recrawl/reindex the pages. This is often the best way. You can also block out an entire directory or a whole site in robots.txt and then use our url removal tool to remove the entire directory from Google’s search results.
Rest of the information.

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/overdoing-url-removals/

Old 04-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. Apr.6, 2011 Tactics That Will NOT Bring Targeted Visitors

Jill Whalen is the CEO of High Rankings posted an interesting thread today: 16 SEO Tactics That Will NOT Bring Targeted Google Visitors. While I don't agree with everything Ms Whalen says in the article, here's some points I think are important:
Quote:
XML Site Maps or Submitting to Search Engines: If your site architecture stinks and important optimized pages are buried too deeply to be easily spidered, an XML site map submitted via Webmaster Tools isn't going to make them show up in the search results for their targeted keywords. At best it will make Google aware that those pages exist. But if they have no internal or external link popularity to speak of, their existence in the universe is about as important as the existence of the tooth fairy (and she won't help your pages to rank better in Google either!).
A good site structure is important not only for the search bots (not just Googlebot) to find your pages, it is important for your visitors too.

Quote:
Republishing Only Others' Stuff: While it's fine to republish an article that someone else published first, if that's all your blog consists of, it's not going to help your search engine rankings. Instead of republishing entire articles, discuss them in your own posts and provide your thoughts and opinions on what's good / bad / ugly about what the others are saying. It's all about adding value.
She has a point. If I have read the article somewhere else, I really don't need to read it on your blog/site too.

If you would like to discuss any of the other 16 SEO Tactics That Will NOT Bring Targeted Google Visitors she has listed, please start a thread in the Google Forum or SEO Forum to discuss.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs. Apr. 7, 2011 - The 5 Point Checklist To Quality Content

Yikes, we forgot to update this sticky thread. Here is a tip i just found a few minutes ago.

Quote:
The phrase “quality content” has been a hot topic since one of Google’s recent algorithm updates; but what exactly does it mean?

The definition is debated among SEO professionals, journalists, and everyone else who has a stake in online content development; in the end, the phrase will hold different meanings to different people.

Search engines will also determine what “quality content” is by examining it through a variety of lenses.

In this post, we’ll examine one facet search engines examine: how people use your content. Read through the below checklist to see how your content stacks up.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...checklist.html

If you would like to make a comment on this blog post then please create a thread on this topic so we can discuss in more details.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri. Apr. 8, 2011 -Optimize Your Images For Search Engine Traffic

Here is Fridays tip.

You may already know this though.

Quote:
The following is part of a multiple part series covering image optimization techniques. This article is intended for beginners through intermediate SEO’s; if this doesn’t pertain to you, you may want to skim as most of this will probably be review material for you.

Some of the big questions many people ask are why would they even want to perform image optimization? Doesn’t it just help people who want to steal or hotlink images? And is there really any meaningful traffic or links that you can get from image optimization? IMHO the answer is yes. Let’s say someone is going on a trip to Italy. They might do image searches for things to do or see in Italy and for famous Italian landmarks like the Leaning Tower of Piza, the Trevi Fountain, or St. Peter’s Basilica. Thanks to Google’s universal search results, images provide a way to get onto the first page (or, in some cases, the top result) and get a click through, an ad view, or adsense impression. It might even get a lead generation completion. Maybe you run a fish store. If a university professor or government agency needs a picture of a fish and your image result appears, and you allow your images to be reused in exchange for a link, this can be huge way to passively build links slowly over time (true story! It happened for a client I used to have). Now that we’ve got the why out of the way, let’s talk about the “how” of image optimization.
Continued at: http://www.wolf-howl.com/featured/ho...earch-engines/

You should subscribe to this blog like i do.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat. Apr. 9, 2011 - Social Sharing: How To Optimize Page Titles

Tonights tip is a good one. I'm sure you already know about twitter and how it plays a role in SEO. Take a frew minutes right now to read this whole blog post.

Quote:
I'm going to show you how you can quickly and easily optimize your website page titles to generate more links through social sharing which will help drive more visitors to your website. In fact, in most cases, you can make this one simple change in less than 30 seconds.

Optimized Page Titles Are Important To Sharing Content On Twitter

The increased popularity of social networks has led to a major growth in the amount of content being shared through social media sites like Twitter.

• Twitter has 243.7 million registered accounts sharing 11 million updates per month
• Twitter's awareness among the 12+ demographic is at 92%
• Small businesses doubled their use of Twitter in 2010
• Social media updates from Twitter are now more fully integrated into Google search results
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...imization.html

Old 04-10-2011, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday. Apr. 10, 2011 - SEO Is Not Enough

Oops, it's past midnight according to my time zone so we are late on updating the SEO tip of the day sticky. Since it is still Sunday (feels like it), i'm going to promote the V7N blog in here.

SEO Is Not Enough

Quote:
It’s always been clear that SEO is not enough. No matter how highly you rank for your target keywords, if people don’t do what you want them to do (i.e. buy something, join your mailing list, or share a link) then your site has failed.

With Google’s recent Farmer update, it’s become especially clear that SEO is an ever-changing avenue. Search engine results fluctuate, competitors change their tactics, and in the end there are no guarantees.

But why would we expect guarantees from the internet?

Ever since people starting selling things, businesses have had to rely on...
Continued at: http://blog.v7n.com/2011/03/22/seo-is-not-enough/

Please read the blog comments before you write a blog comment.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday Apr. 11, 2011 - 3 SEO Mistakes

Since i was half asleep this morning posting, submitting a new TIP earlier was out of the question. Don't make the mistakes outlined in this blog post.

Quote:
We all make mistakes. But one area in which it can be particularly catastrophic to make them is in SEO, particularly if your business is dependent upon organic traffic. But SEO mistakes are more common than you might imagine and here are three of the biggest.

Is there any such thing as a pure white hat in SEO? I doubt it. There’s a scale that goes from pearly white to the blackest black and I reckon most of us would say we’re on the greyish-white side. I personally source links from high quality and relevant sites, often supplying unique, well thought out content that gives my link some editorial relevance. Yes, we ultimately want links. But how we...
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...-mistakes.html

Old 04-12-2011, 01:28 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday Apr. 12, 2011 - Convincing Google about original content.

How can I make sure that Google knows my content is original?

Matt answers.

+ YouTube Video

So no real automated way to rectify this situation from Google.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. Apr. 13, 2011 - Designing For SEO

This tip is for Designers but it's still something you should mention to your designer.

Quote:
Is it possible to design a great looking website and achieve a high level of search engine optimization (SEO)? It sure is and we see evidence of this all over the web, as well as in mobile platforms. In recent years the heavy emphasis on web standards has enabled designers to develop more creative, engaging interface designs without compromising SEO goals. Effective SEO is no longer a mystifying goal that only trained SEO consultants can achieve. Think of the combination of good SEO and quality design as just sound site development. To dig in further, this article takes a closer look at how to achieve both without having to sacrifice design principles or effective SEO.

Lessons from the Design Studio

Here are some things to think about well before, and during, the design process:
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/04/1...usive-article/

Additional Reading Material: SEO For Designers, Developers & Managers

Old 04-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs. Apr. 14, 2011 - Collection of SEO related documents (BING)

Thursday's tip is as follows.

Collection of SEO related documents from the Bing Ecosystem

Quote:
Today's blog post is brought to you by the letters S, E & O. As in Search Engine Optimization.

We have a lot of SEO related documents scattered around the ecosystem here at Bing and Microsoft, so I thought it would be nice to gather some of them into one location. This data will change as we update the main site but for now, it should prove helpful for folks looking to understand more about SEO and related topics.

First off, I'll share all the links, then I'll get into some of the basic areas of SEO you'll want to cover, and why. It's not a detailed look, but will get most folks started in the correct direction.

Helpful SEO-related Links: (See blog post for live links ~Snakeair)

Keyword Research Guide

Guide to using Bing Webmaster tools

Current Bing Webmaster FAQs (opens a pdf)

Link Building Overview

SEO Site Reviews:

Performing site reviews is a critical part of determining what work needs to be done to help a website rank better organically. This five part series walks you through a detailed approach to....
Continued at: http://www.bing.com/community/site_b...ecosystem.aspx

Old 04-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday. Apr. 15, 2011 - It’s Not Always About the SEO.

Fridays tip is a easy one. In fact, just watch this Video with Matt Cutt's speaking.

+ YouTube Video

Full blog post and source: http://www.webpronews.com/seo-matt-cutts-video-2011-04

If you want to post a comment about this video then post it on webpronews. I may post one tomorow.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, April 16, 2011 - User Behavior Impacts Google Algorithm

The Panda Farmer update opened the door to Google’s use of user behavior in ranking. SEOs have long argued that click throughs or bounce rates or other user signals couldn’t be used in Google’s algorithm since they didn’t have access to that information for all sites. On Monday, when Google’s Amit Singhal announced that the Panda update had been extended to all English language search, he also noted that the “high quality sites algorithm” update incorporates

Quote:
new user feedback signals to help people find better search results. In some high-confidence situations, we are beginning to incorporate data about the sites that users block into our algorithms.
But what other user behavior signals might Google use? SE patent analyst Bill Slawski takes a closer look: Just What User Behavior Data Does Google Use to Influence Search Rankings? Serious SEOs will want to study Slawski's post.

SEO Takeaway: If your site's position or traffic suffered in the Panda update, you will want to review your site against Google's quality guidelines and the quality of the links coming to it.

Discussion of the Panda Farmer Update: http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...hm-update.html.

If you want to share this tip, please ReTweet It.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 04-16-2011 at 05:13 AM.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, April 17, 2011 - The Story of SEOmoz

I am sure many of you have heard of SEOmoz and are subscribers on both there blogs. (I am)

Have you ever wanted to know the full story on how Rand Fishkin started SEOmoz or what he was doing before SEOmoz? Check out this blog post on the SEOmoz blog of course to learn more. This is a long one... or just watch the videos if you don't want to read.

This is a easy SEO tip to end this weekend.

Quote:
Several weeks back, I gave a very unique talk at LUISS University in Rome, Italy at the bequest of the US State Department and the Business Association Italy America (BAIA). The audience was small, but the energy was fantastic. Italy has traditionally been a challenging place to do a tech startup, but a consortium of folks are aiming to change that. My talk was an early part of that effort, and I'm really proud to be involved.

Luckily, the presentation can now reach a much wider group, thanks to the efforts of Robin Good, creator of Master New Media and one of Rome's most well-known bloggers. Below, you'll find all the sections of my talk, broken down by topic, in both video and text format. My deep thanks to Robin for this remarkable work transcribing, filming, editing and even researching all the links I mentioned. Enjoy!

``````````
This is the story of SEOmoz, as I have heard it by sitting in the first row of a small but very attentive audience at the LUISS University in Rome, Italy. The storyteller is Rand Fishkin himself, the father and founder of an SEO company which has become synonym of high value tools and services, competence, and a natural inclination to share valuable information before asking something in return.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-story-of-seomoz

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum