Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-18-2011, 08:16 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Mon. April 18, 2011 - Google vs. Bing WMT: 99 Comparison Points

I admit it, I am one of the seasoned Internet marketers that Annie Cushing is talking about with “little idea the depth of data they have at their fingertips in Google Webmaster Tools, let alone Bing’s Webmaster Center ….” Cushing lays out “99 Comparison Points Between Google and Bing Webmaster Tools in a recent post.
Quote:
Outside of analytics, Google Webmaster Tools (GWT) and Bing’s Webmaster Center (BWC) are my dumpsters of choice because they provide the opportunity for you to triangulate your data against your analytics. Otherwise, you find yourself looking at your stats in a vacuum. I mean, okay, you had 4,659 visits last month from your fave money term. Have a brewski on me. But when you see from your webmaster tool data that your average rank was 6 and you actually had 12,400 impressions, that gives you context and a specific goal to work toward. Know what I mean?
Her spreadsheet, which can be saved locally in Google docs if you want your own copy, has a handy column which indicates where to find some of the tools in Bing. Cushing promises follow up posts on practical applications of these tools and the data they provide.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues, April 19, 2011 - Traffic: Search vs. Content vs. Social

Search still sends the lion’s share of traffic to websites, while social media drive a mere 11%, according to a study conducted by Outbrain (http://www.outbrain.com/about).

The study examined:

Quote:
traffic patterns from 100 million sessions across more than 100 premium publishers that are currently using our platform to see how readers are accessing content, where they’re finding it and how they’re engaging with that content. We’ve compiled this data into our inaugural report, and our hope is to use this as a benchmark against future quarterly trend analysis.
Outbrain concluded that search remains the major source of clicks at a 41% share, that social sites are growing in traffic generation, but are have higher bounce rates, and Facebook delivers a “more diverse audience” than Twitter. But while content sites drive only 31% of traffic, the traffic they send is more highly engaged than search or social traffic:

Quote:
Readers who go from one content site to another (i.e. USA Today to The Daily Beast) are most likely to be engaged in what they’re reading, presumably because they are already in content consumption mode.
The study also looked at the types of content that’s being shared on social media:

Quote:
It’s no secret that people are spending an ever-increasing amount of time on social sites like Facebook and Twitter. One of the by-products of this shift is that these same people are now relying on their networks of friends and peers to alert them to interesting news and content. We thought it was worth looking at how this breaks down among the different content verticals. News stories, at 42%, were the most likely to receive traffic from social sites, followed by entertainment stories at 30% and lifestyle stories at 13%.
Read the entire report: http://blog.outbrain.com/2011/04/out...ry-report.html.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:22 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed, April 20, 2011 - Why Rank Checking is Still Useful

Today's tip is from SEObook.com

Why Rank Checking is Still Useful

Quote:
There's not a complex mathematical formula that is needed for one to understand the basic math associated with SEO. It boils down to something like:

Traffic + Conversions = $

That's a pretty easy way of looking at it, and it sort of ignores some of the variables that might go into it like:

■ targeted traffic
■ no so targeted traffic
■ conversion rate
■ volume

However, the basis of profiting via SEO mainly involves getting traffic to your website and converting (or monetizing) that traffic by whatever conversion (or monetization) methods you happen to be using on your website.

There are many means you can factor into the end game of an SEO campaign but at its most basic form it is about getting traffic and monetizing that traffic.
Continued at: http://www.seobook.com/why-rank-checking-still-useful

Feel free to post a comment on the blog or create a fresh thread on V7N forum if you wish to discuss todays SEO tip.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:16 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs., April 21, 2011 - The Grey Area of Link Buys

When is link buying not really black hat? When you join the local chamber of commerce or a professional association and a link comes with it, perhaps, or when you sponsor an event or organization that interests you. Napolean Suarez shares some link ideas he heard at the Advanced Link Building Seminar in New Orleans in a post on Seer Interactive.

One clever idea:

Quote:
Sponsor a youth athletic team. Check out this site. The registration for a child is $45. Do you think this site would turn you away if you said that you wanted to sponsor two kids for the year, every year, for a link in return. Be a good guy or girl, though. Show up to a game or two. Maybe take some pictures with the kids. Be a human being.
How about offering a student discount? See link suggestion #8 with caveats. But number 9 is the best idea in the bunch, IMO:

Quote:
I like to target events that have recently ended. I have reached out to many sites only to hear that the annual event that I wanted to sponsor happened a week before my email was received. Some link builders would put that in their calendar and follow up next year. Not me. I’d tell the site owner that I have so much faith in their organization that I would be willing to make an early donation for the 2012 event. Think about this for a second. The event is over and it took the organizers six months to raise the money to put on a successful event. When a person like me comes along that is willing to put money in their pockets for next year today, they are all smiles. Not only do I get the discounted rate since I am late/early, but since I am paying for the 2012 event in 2011, I get the link until the next event comes up in 2013. I just paid $100 for a link for the next 2 years. That’s about $4/month for a PR6 homepage link.
Read the entire post: http://www.seerinteractive.com/blog/...ap/2011/04/06/.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:39 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri., April 22, 2011 - Heightened Senses: Optimizing Beyond SEO

Todays SEO tip of the day is a little late but all of us are usually online really late anyways. Instead of making this a boring SEO tip of the day post. I got something that will heighten your senses.

Quote:
If you’re looking for something close to a top ten or link bait post talking about some cut-throat SEO strategy, then I highly suggest that you close this window now and go on with your day. On the other hand, if you’re looking to understand SEO from a deeper perspective, then you might find this article quite interesting and refreshing.

I tried my best to keep this article as succinct as possible in hopes that it would leave you a lasting impression–and possibly heighten your senses and change the way you perceive SEO. To kick start my discussion, allow me to share with you a parable from the Chuang-tzu (an ancient Taoist text) that, in my opinion, perfectly illustrates the taxing pace of the reliant SEO life:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/h...ond-seo/29080/

I'd suggest you read the blog comments and also post one if you have something to say about this blog post i just linked you to.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:56 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat., April 23, 2011 - Applying SEO for E-Commerce Sites

I've had a very busy weekend offline and sorry about not updating this thread. This is Saturday's tip.

Applying SEO for E-Commerce Sites

Quote:
Search engine optimization is a requirement for any website that plans to get organic search engine traffic. E-commerce websites already are using plenty of marketing tactics. But this does not indicate that they should not look towards the search engines for more exposure. However, it appears that either people with e-commerce websites are either unknowledgeable when it comes to SEO or they are not paying enough attention to it. In order to truly reap the benefits of search engine optimization for your website, you should keep various factors in mind. The purpose of this article is to help your e-commerce be able to use the search engines to their advantage in order to get needed traffic.

Being an e-commerce website owner, you should not overlook how important it is to optimize your website’s graphics for the search engines. Your website will contain pictures that can be utilized in order to get rankings for particular keywords. Add your keywords into the alt tag of your pictures because the search engines like to give tons of juice to these particular tags. Each image that is uploaded to your website must have your particular keywords placed on them so that they are optimized for the search engines.

Besides that, you need to be as...
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/04/2...ommerce-sites/

Feel free to post a comment on the blog if you have any questions or want to add additional information. If we don't have a thread already in our SEO section for E-Commerce then please create one if you want to discuss this topic in greater details.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:26 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sun, April 24, 2011-Google Website optimizer

Have you tried Google Website Optimizer?

[YT]XJT9TCqzw4U[/YT]

www.google.com/websiteoptimizer

This one is focused on conversion improvement by split testing. Not directly SEO but it is the goal of the SEO end of the day. So I thought it worth including here.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:34 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Mon, April 25, 2011- Some keyword research tips

let me try to give you some newbie keyword research tips.
For this post I'll use the keyword phrase "Quiz Games"...

>>>>When you search the web with the phrase Quiz Games, Google will return sites that has the word 'quiz' and 'games' in it. whether they are in a phrase or in separate places of the page.

>>>>When you search in quotation marks "Quiz Games", Google will return the exact phrase, but from illustration below we can also see that Google returned phrases in reversed order and '-' in between as well in this case.

>>>>You can put &start=990 at the end of the url to see how many pages of results Google returns for that particular search.

So for the keyword "Quiz Games" if the first page URL is

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...90f8e7139e6790

Add &start=990 at the end just like the following..

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...90f8e7139e6790&start=990

>>>>search as intitle:"Quiz Games" to find how many sites has the keyword in their title tag.

http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&so...90f8e7139e6790

>>>>search as inurl:"Quiz Games" to find how many sites has the keyword in their url.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...2Quiz+Games%22

>>>>search as intitle:"Quiz Games" inurl:"Quiz Games" to find how many sites has the keyword in their title and url.(these people surely knows their SEO)
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...90f8e7139e6790

>>>>For additional research you can use various free keyword research tools like
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
http://www.link-assistant.com/rank-tracker/ (using it recently and really loved it)
http://www.traffictravis.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Learn Something New Every Day –V7N's SEO Tip of the Day-keyword_in_phrase_and_in_diff_places.jpg   Learn Something New Every Day –V7N's SEO Tip of the Day-keyword_in_phrase.jpg   Learn Something New Every Day –V7N's SEO Tip of the Day-start-990.jpg  

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 04-25-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Just fixed day of week

Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues, April 26, 2011 -Surviving and Thriving After Google’s Panda

We are now seeing lot's of threads about people getting nailed by the Panda update. Today's tip should be helpful to some people.

This blog post will talk about the following topics.

* Why Did Google Make the Update?

* So What Really Changed?

* How to Recover if You Were Impacted?

* How To Protect Yourself Going Forward?

I would suggest you read the full blog post and try to soak in as much information as you can so you can make any improvements.

Full blog post is at this link: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ing-panda.html

Fee free to post a blog comment on the blog or jump in one of the panda threads we have to help out members who really need some tips.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:06 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed, April 27, 2011 - The 4 Basic Areas Of SEO

Let's get back to basic's since we have way done this week.

Quote:
SEO can be broken into 4 major areas. Breaking SEO down into these 4 areas simplifies the SEO process and allows you to refocus your time into the most effective sections of a successful SEO strategy.
Now this blog post will talk about the following:

On Page
Off Page (Links)
Index-ability
User Behavior/Social

Full blog post is at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...areas-seo.html

Old 04-28-2011, 10:52 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs, April 28, 2011 - From Garbage To Gourmet

This blog post is very useful and you should have a look at it.

From Garbage To Gourmet: Fixing SEO Content Strategies

Quote:
Tell me if you’ve heard this one before:

Site Owner: I want to rank higher in the search engines!

SEO: OK, you’ll need to fix a few things… produces a list

SEO: And you’ll need to start a content strategy. That means 10-20 pages of new content per month, minimum, plus work to promote it.

Site Owner: OKAY! I’m on it. Site owner goes away.

Two months later:

Site Owner: SEO, you totally ripped me off. I haven’t seen any improvement in my rankings.

SEO: Did you make all the changes?

Site Owner: Yes.

SEO: Did you start work on the content?

Site Owner: Yes.

SEO: Can I see?

Site Owner shows SEO their site. It has 70 pages of new articles.

SEO: Wow, that’s great… Wait a minute. This article is only 150 words. And the author used the wrong ‘your’ five times. And this article is almost identical to these other five…

Site Owner: So?

SEO: Well, this isn’t exactly great content.

Site Owner: Hey, you told me to get new content. You didn’t say anything about great content!

Search Engines Aren’t Garbage Disposals

I suspect that most people see search engines as a sort of content garbage disposals. You feed them a random assortment of leftovers, hard-to-identify and vaguely smelly things, and the occasional rotten egg in one end, there are some grinding and crunching sounds, and you’re all set.

Well, they’re not garbage disposals.

Half of SEO is a long list of things you must do to make yourself visible, help search engines classify your content, etc..

But, in the...
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/from-gar...rategies-74273

Old 04-29-2011, 11:06 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri, April 29, 2011 - Update Evergreen Content

T.G.I.F

Here is Fridays Tip.

How Often Should You Update Evergreen Content

Quote:
The idea of evergreen content is that it is essentially unchanging, intended to last “a long time,”and have little or no maintenance. So isn’t updating evergreen content a bit of an oxymoron? In some cases yes, in some cases no.

This discussion is part of a larger discussion I’ve been having on Twitter about re-tweeting old posts that have no published dates on them. While I do have a solution for displaying custom date formats that doesn’t adversely affect my Google click through rate, the fact that I may be tweeting outdated information exists.

So what’s a workable solution to evergreen content?

Make it part of your annual content audit process. Every 6-18 months, review and prune your dead posts. Review your top content to see what needs to be updated or cleaned up. Treat posts that you update like seasonal content and keep the living URL the same. Clear the...
Continued at: http://www.wolf-howl.com/seo/update-evergreen-content/

Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat, April 30, 2011 - Keywords Have to Match User Intent

Still looking for advice on keywords? This Tip may be of use to you. You can always post a blog comment to ask Nick for more advice.

Quote:
Let’s say you took the time to do thorough keyword research (or hired an SEO consultant to do it for you) for your website, a wholesale fruit distributor that sells to restaurants. After weeks of combing through hundreds of potential keywords, you narrowed it down to your top five choices for every page. The keywords accurately reflect the content of each page and you took the time to update the Meta tags, H1 tags and page content so the keywords seamlessly fit without disrupting the user-experience. Not too long after you optimized the site, it moved up in the search rankings for your choice keywords. Everything looks great…but you aren’t seeing any significant in traffic. Houston, we may have a problem.

There can be a variety of reasons that, even if you have good SEO working for you, your site just isn’t seeing the traffic increases you were hoping for (I mean a realistic increase). One thing to consider is that....
Continued at: http://www.searchengineoptimizationj...s-user-intent/

Old 05-01-2011, 01:47 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, May 1, 2011-Content and the Keyword Long Tail

The weekend is just about over and i am not to happy about this.

Todays tip is as follows:

Better Content and the Keyword Long Tail

Quote:
The idea of the long tail is one that has been around for a while in marketing circles. It was made famous by Chris Anderson in his book "The Long Tail: Why the Future of Business is Selling Less of More." According to Anderson, thanks to websites and online shops there is now an infinite inventory on offer to consumers that has resulted in the "shattering of the mainstream into a zillion different cultural shards." These endless niches are therefore a marketing opportunity for retailers willing to cast a wider net and not only concentrate on the top sellers and blockbusters.

In SEO world, the Long Tail applies to the hundreds of key phrases that are used to find a website but which are not exploited or even noticed by the website administrators. Instead, web site owners and SEO experts mostly concentrate on the main 10 to 15 keywords in their marketing strategies, working on ranking for these terms alone. Yet, closer examination of referral numbers show that there can actually be more traffic that comes to a site via the search terms that come after those top fifteen. Unbelievably, most sites get the majority of their leads and sales from the rarely tracked search terms, or from the long tail.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...l-quality.html

Old 05-02-2011, 10:07 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, May 2, 2011 -Build Trust-Not Just Links

Here is Mondays Tip.

Quote:
Trust is not at all earned at once. It takes months, even years, but your SEO campaign should constantly search for long-term investments more willingly than concentrating on shortcuts.

We frequently fall back on links too easy to obtain. But will those help instil Trust with search engines and regular people?

Actual value seen by both real people and search engines constitutes a good recommendation. A reference where everyone who visits your link is already aware of what your website offers, even before seeing it.

Forget about NoFollow and DoFollow

When you are building Trust You don’t really need to look for nofollow or dofollow link attributes . The main thing is that you.....
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/blog/build-trust.html

Feel free to create a thread about this blog post if you wish to discuss anything mentioned in it.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues, May 3, 2011 - Stepping Off the Drug-Fueled Animal Ledge

It's a little late out but here is a good blog post to read on the outspokenmedia.com blog.

Quote:
If the search industry was allowed just one blogger, I’d vote that blogger be Aaron Wall. No one covers this industry quite like Aaron Wall does and his post yesterday on how Google creates black hats was another testament to that. If you haven’t read Aaron’s post, please go do it now. Because it’s important. But then come back. I’ll be waiting.

Aaron’s post breaks down the post-Panda world we live in and what it’s done vs. what it was supposed to do. Specifically, Aaron talks about the small business owner who had his content and domain smacked down even after he thought he was doing everything right. He talks about how Google has the audacity to not only smack down the SMB, but to throw salt in the wound by ranking content syndicators and content scrapers of that same content higher than the original source.

Because it’s not that Google doesn’t like your outfit, it just likes it better when someone else is wearing it.

Aaron summarizes it like this:
Continued at: http://outspokenmedia.com/seo/drug-f...eo/#more-10454

Old 05-04-2011, 10:35 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Weds, May 4, 2011 - Site Speed Analytics Report

Some of ya'll don't like the new Analytics but if you are using it then this SEO tip is just for you.

Measure Page Load Time with Site Speed Analytics Report

Quote:
At Google, we are passionate about speed and making the web faster, and we are glad to see that many website owners share the same idea. A faster web is better for both users and businesses. A slow loading landing page not only impacts your conversion rate, but can also impact AdWords Landing Page Quality and ranking in Google search.

To improve the performance of your pages, you first need to measure and diagnose the speed of a page, which can be a difficult task. Furthermore, even with page speed measurements, it’s critical to look at page speed in context of other web analytics data.

Therefore, we are thrilled to announce the availability of the Site Speed report in the new Google Analytics platform. With the Site Speed report you can measure the page load time across your site.
Continued at: http://analytics.blogspot.com/2011/0...ite-speed.html

Old 05-05-2011, 03:02 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: thurs, May 5, 2011 - 4 ways to get natural BL

Quote:
Google has become pretty good in detecting low quality web pages and links. If you use a link service that promises a lot of high PR links for little money or if you participate in a fully automated linking system, chances are that Google will penalize your website because you are trying to trick them.

Just use common sense: if you can find that automated linking system, Google can find it too. Do not try to trick Google.

If you want to get better rankings on Google, the links that point to your website should be from related websites and from sources that would "naturally" link to your website.

1. Create a linkworthy website

2. Solve other people's problems

3. Put your website into the right context

4. Get links to different pages of your website and vary your link texts
Read more in details: http://www.free-seo-news.com/newsletter471.htm#facts

Old 05-06-2011, 09:18 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri, May 6, 2011

One Way Furniture's Low quality and duplicate articles hit by panda- Big repairing work is going on for that site. Lot to learn from them and a Big case study for us to follow.

Few magnet pieces from that post below.

Quote:
It took a few weeks, but Lieberman came up with a plan. "I decided I can't dig deeper than what's on the surface," he says. "Google is saying over and over again: 'Content. It's related to content.' That's where I need to shift my focus."

Indeed, the Google update was aimed at pushing low-quality content out of top search results.

Lieberman figures the main reason his site got caught in the dragnet is that he pulls product descriptions from other manufacturers — so Google's new formula thinks the writing on his site isn't original.

"We all wanted to believe it was something else," he says. "Because rewriting the content is a tremendous task, when you have 35,000 pages."
Quote:
"The sites that do put a little bit more individual care and attention and work into the content of their site — whether it be a product description, or a blog post," says Matt Cutts, Google's lead engineer on the Panda update, "those are the ones that users tend to prefer a little bit more and appreciate."

Cutts says it's unfortunate, but these are the breaks. An algorithm doesn't make exceptions.
read or listen the full story from below...
http://www.npr.org/2011/05/03/135809...ompany-at-risk

Old 05-07-2011, 10:37 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, May 7, 2011 - Optimising Video For Search Engines

It's the weekend. Here is todays tip.

Quote:
Video is a fantastic resource and adds value and depth of content to a static web page. However, at present, Google and other search engine spiders can’t all read the information contained in a video. With video results appearing more prominently in the SERPs, it’s important to have the other aspects of your web page fully optimised for search engine visibility when incorporating a video on your page. In this post we’ll explore some of the techniques you can employ to optimise the video on your website, whether they be hosted on your website or on a video sharing site such as YouTube or Vimeo.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...eo-google.html

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum