Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, May 8, 2011 - Optimizing Page Speed

Yes, here is another SEO tip about Page Speed. I only got half way through reading this blog post but will share it here while i finish reading it myself.

From the SEOmoz blog:

Optimizing Page Speed - Actionable Tips For SEOs and Web Developers

Quote:
As I'm sure many of you well know, page speed has become a factor for ranking in the search engines. Although, for the engines it's not a make or break factor but I've always felt that it is for visitors.

With a huge number of people using super fast broadband (and it's growing), patience for slow loading websites is being to fray. I personally hate waiting for a page to load and I'm sure my visitors do as well.

That's why if you're investing lots of time and money into getting the rankings you deserve, you shouldn't be blowing it by having a slow website.

That's why I want to share some practical advice I've learnt from optimising my websites loading times. If you don't have a website development background don't worry, I'll keep everything clear (but if not, feel free to send it to your website team). So let's get started.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/optimizin...web-developers

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, May 9, 2011 - Socialize Your SEO & Content Strategy

Late as usual but here is a TIP.

6 Ways to Socialize Your SEO & Content Strategy

Quote:
If you think about it, the convergence of search and social media is a natural and logical process: not only can social data be used to personalize search results, but social activity (such as Facebook Likes and Twitter tweets) provide crowdsourced indicators of what content is popular with actual users. It's no wonder, then, that a lot has happened in the last year or so to "socialize" search engine result pages (SERPs).

For starters, in addition to including social content from Twitter, Flickr, and other sites into its SERPs, Google recently launched Google +1, allowing users to vote for pages and search results. Also, earlier this year Bing expanded its deal with Facebook, allowing it to both personalize search results and use Facebook Likes to gauge the authority of pages.

So what does this mean for your search engine optimization (SEO) strategy? Well, it means that you should be looking at new ways of using social media to boost your rankings.

Traditional onsite SEO and backlinks are still fundamental. But if you really want to get competitive with your SEO strategy, you need to send search engines the right "social signals" that your site and pages deserve to rank well.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/3642303

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - Use Free Alerts For Link Discovery

This tip is about Alerts and how you should be using if you are not using them right now.

Quote:
Although my agency does use a variety of paid and free tools for various purposes, by and large, we do most of our discovery through manually searching the web.

If you’ve done it, you will know that while it’s fun and interesting at times, it’s also a serious pain. It’s inefficient, it’s tedious, and you’re likely to keep running into the same sites over and over. Sometimes it’s nice to sit back and let the link potentials come to you using a variety of free alert tools.

Alerts are a great way to stay informed about what’s being said. You can use alerts just to monitor your brand or a keyword and stay informed, or you can view the information sent to you as a new place to get a link, however you go about doing that.

This has been particularly helpful when...
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/how-to-u...iscovery-75422

Also look at the "Related Entries" links at the end of the article for some useful articles to read.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. May 11, 2011 - SEO Navigation Tips for Websites

Todays tip is about SEO Navigation. There might be some useful tips in here for you to work on.

Quote:
While providing an SEO consultation a few days ago, the client had a severe problem with bleeding ranking factor from using recurring elements of navigation on the sidebar of their website.

In layman’s terms, there were too many links in the sidebar. While it may seem like “the logical thing to do” to put all your products or services on the sidebar in your template globally, for optimal results one should use secondary navigation sparingly for two distinct reasons.

Aside from SEO, the first reason is (1) relevance the second reason is (2) to avoid information overload for users attempting to navigate your website. While these two points are related, at the end of this post, I’ll provide a feasible alternative to minimize excessive navigation and excessive internal links to create an optimal navigation structure to complement SEO results.

Why Excessive Links Cripple SEO

The more links you have on a page, the more....
Continued at: http://www.seodesignsolutions.com/bl...-for-websites/

If you have anything to say about this blog post, please post a comment on the blog or create a new thread linking back to this blog post so we can discuss.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs. May 12, 2011 - Best Practice Tips for Press Release SEO

There are a few threads about articles/duplicate content floating around here. Anyways let's toss in a SEO tip about press release's. This a short blog post by Nick Stamoulis.

Quote:
Writing and distributing online press releases should be included in your monthly link building activities for several reasons:

1. They are a great source of publicity for your company

2. They can rank in the search engines, increasing your brand visibility and recognition

3.They provide quality, one way links to your site

4. They can get picked up by various media outlets and be transitioned into offline press releases and news stories

The benefits of distributing a well-written and newsworthy press release are pretty straightforward. But it’s very easy to only look at them from an SEO perspective. This is a very dangerous thing to do! Yes, online press releases can have an effect on your SEO, but in the effort to make a press release SEO friendly, I’ve seen companies make mistakes that render the press releases useless from all perspectives, including SEO.

Here are a few best practice tips for optimizing your press release for SEO:
Continued at: http://www.searchengineoptimizationj...s-release-seo/

If you are hiring someone to write press release's for you, make sure you can preview the article before it goes live. You want it to be perfect and reference to this blog post if you need to. Feel free to post a blog comment on the blog or create a thread on this forum if you wish to discuss this further.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri. May 13, 2011 -Effective Navigation Labels for SEO

Happy Friday the 13th. Todays tip is below.

Quote:
One of the key components of a website’s information architecture (IA) and corresponding navigation is an effective labeling system. Of course, as search engine optimizers, we understand that a website’s labeling system should contain keywords.

However, there seems to be confusion among search engine optimization (SEO) professionals, information architects, web designers/developers, and usability professionals about what constitutes an effective system.

Here’s an example: if I asked these aforementioned groups to write down their interpretation of the phrase navigation labels, I would probably get a wide variety of answers.

Most people assume that a navigation label is the text that is placed on a navigation button (formatted either in CSS or as a graphic image). While navigation button text certainly is a navigation label, other web page elements are also navigation labels, such as:
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/how-to-u...mization-76300

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-14-2011, 07:41 PM
V7N Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat. May 14, 2011 -STOP OVERCOMPLICATING SEO!

I have said this at least a thousand times over the years, and I will likely say it at least as many times again.

STOP OVERCOMPLICATING SEO!

Beyond the fact that many spammer loop holes have been closed, the core basics of SEO have changed very little over the years. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to learn it, nor to you need to pay someone thousands to do it for you. People just have a habit of making it far more difficult than it is.

Once you have the basics down on your site (one page at a time) the frosting on the cake is really just getting social networking down to an art of truly interacting with others. One thing that has helped me get in the habit of interacting on FB is leaving the window open while I work.

Join V7N on Facebook today! facebook.com/V7Network

Old 05-15-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sun. May 15, 2011 - 5 Simple SEO Web Design Hacks

Todays tip is in the SEO Web Design area.

Quote:
Sometimes we face major trade-offs between function and design..

Good website design often means better usability. That is, the user has plenty of visual elements and cues they can use to intuitively navigate their way through the site and content.

Where there can be a trade-off between design and performance, however, is in SEO. Often design elements do nothing for SEO, or can even harm SEO efforts.

In this article, we’ll give you 5 tips for designers who want to make sure that their sites look great – and also have a chance of ranking well in the search engines.
Continued at: http://www.clicknewz.com/2801/seo-web-design-hacks/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Mon. May 16, 2011 - SEO & Website Redesign

This snake is still asleep but going to post a tip in here before leaving for the day. lol

Quote:
gns can make an ugly site pretty, but they can also make a high traffic site invisible. Keep these tips and no-nos in mind and you can keep yourself out of the CEO’s office.

SEO Redesign: Teamwork First

It should go without saying, but SEOs, developers and designers must work together cohesively during the site redesign process.

Too often, companies look to refresh the look of their site, and in the end, destroy their search engine presence. How? This can come from a myriad of reasons from coding errors, SEO unfriendly design practices, to even more disastrous practices (e.g., content duplication, URL rewriting without redirection, information architecture changes away from search engine friendly techniques).

Starting the redesign process with a collaborative call between the SEO team, designer, developer, and company decision maker(s) is always the best first step.

Often there are two...
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...t-Losing-Sleep

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-17-2011, 08:43 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues. May 17, 2011 - Can I flag spammy links to my site...

Can I flag spammy links to my site that I didn't create? Actually not yet. Listen the rest from Matt.

[YT]f4dAWb5jUws[/YT]

Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. May 18, 2011 - 21 Content Types to Share with Google

Good morning and i've had no coffee this morning. Here is todays tip.

Quote:
The search engines are hungry for vertical search content. The representation of content types beyond the traditional webpage in the SERPs seems to grow on a daily basis. In many cases it is actually easier to rank for a vertical channel like video for a given keyphrase than it is to rank a traditional webpage for the same keyphrase. Are you still trying to compete in the SERPs with traditional webpages alone? Have you given other mediums the attention they deserve?

I came across this handy Google page of 36 tools for submitting different content types. I merged a few and eliminated others to come up with a list of 21 interesting content types for your consideration. Take a look and try to think outside the box. Hopefully by the end of this read you'll have a hit list of a few new channels to explore.
Continued at; http://www.seomoz.org/blog/21-conten...re-with-google

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs. May 19, 2011 - Avoid SEO Pitfalls With Timely Alerts

Thursday tips is as follows

Quote:
In the world of SEO, there are big updates like Panda, Mayday, Vincent, Florida, but there are also smaller internal issues that can creep up on you leading to traffic and revenue loss. The ability to identify and prevent self inflicted nicks and cuts along the way is key to a successful SEO program for online retailers.

When dealing with large, product-driven sites, automation and templates, things are bound to fray and break over time.

Getting alerted and identifying the issue is half the battle. Dashboards are a great way of staying on top of internal issues, as well as competitor and industry movements, for the metrics that matter most to you.

Start by creating your own....
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/how-to-a...y-alerts-77566

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-20-2011, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri. May 20, 2011 - Mobile SEO Tips

T.G.I.F

Quote:
We all use our cell phones (and those of us lucky enough, tablets) to figure out where we are and what's around us while we're on the go. While GPS is a godsend, location isn't the only thing you need to find when you're out. Facebook, Google, the SEO Blog... (I know a lot of you are watching this on a train, plane, or... well, I hope you're not watching this in your automobile!) - whatever you look for at home, you're likely looking for it while you're away from your desktop as well.

Fortunately, most of the bigger sites out there have mobile versions of their pages so we don't have to pinch and squint to be be able to read anything. However, most organizations aren't willing or able to dedicate the time and resources towards maintaining multiple mobile versions of their site. How are you ever going to be able to optimize your mobile web presence when you don't have one?! Fret not! On this week's Whiteboard Friday, Cyrus from SEOmoz's very own SEO team gives some pointers on how to keep sites optimized for cell phones and tablets without breaking the bank or the brain. You'll find that we used an extremely relevant device to bring you today's WBF, so check it out! Also, read over the transcript for links and let us know any secrets you've discovered in...
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/mobile-se...d-friday-12429

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-21-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday. May 21, 2011- Optimizing a Site for Local Search

Todays tip is about local search. Feel free to post a blog comment if you have any more tips to add to this blog post.

Quote:
If you’re a regular reader of the Bruce Clay, Inc. blog, you’ve probably seen various posts that our wonderful writers put together about local optimization as it relates to Google Places and claiming your profile, asking for reviews in Yelp and managing local directory submissions.

Today, I would like to look at local SEO from a different angle, and provide a few tips to help you optimize your website in order to make it more SEO friendly from local search point of view.

These tips can help your site obtain higher rankings in the organic Web search results for search terms that have local intent (for example, “SEO company Simi Valley”).

When you are optimizing your site for geo-targeted keywords based on your location or areas that you provide services to, you need to approach your SEO campaign with.....
Continued at: http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/2011/0...-local-search/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday. May 22, 2011 - SEO for PDF files

The weekend will be over in a few hours. (According to my timezone)

Here is Sunday's tip.

SEO for PDF files: Advanced Tricks

Quote:
PDF files, just like web pages, can be optimized to rank highly on Google. Many SEOs recommend steering away from PDF files as much as possible, but they are ranking all over the place on Google, so I wouldn’t particularly avoid using them. In fact, if you’ve gone through some effort to make a professionally-formatted PDF file, one might argue it’s likely to be higher “quality” content than the average run-of-the-mill web page. I would not rule out Google even slightly favoring PDF files for this reason. Tests or correlation studies don’t seem to have been done on this topic by anyone in the industry.

Here’s a list of best practices you can use to optimize your PDF files:
Continued at: http://www.coconutheadphones.com/seo...vanced-tricks/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, May 23, 2011 - 35 SEO Mistakes & Myths

Actually the title of the article is: 35 SEO Mistakes & Myths : Stories Your Grandma Should Never Have Told You About SEO (but that wouldn't fit in the subject box)

Quote:
SEO mistakes and myths have become a rising trend with all the pseudo-intellectuals of the internet marketing era . This post is not only intended to let you evaluate if you are commiting those SEO crimes but also as a heads up to those ‘experts’ who have been following their grandma obediently . Well then this post might turn out to be an ugly realization to them , for the rest of you who have been enjoying my posts regularly, have fun as always !

So why the grandma in the picture ?

Because these are not the kind of people who dont know about SEO , infact these are people who know SEO , but the old and the , now irrelevant , umm…how do I put this delicately..WRONG version ! and are still following those misconceptions which may have been a hit in the age when their grandma was an SEO expert . So lets get started , with all due respect to all the grandmas I may hurt in the process ….
If you would care to discuss any of the myths pointed out, please start a new thread in the SEO forum.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues, May 24, 2011 - Sitemap or HTML Site Map?

I was just browsing around one of our super moderators blogs and noticed a very good blog post to share for today's tip.

Should I Create a Sitemap or HTML Site Map?

Quote:
There seems to be a big confusion between Sitemaps and a HTML site map for those new to websites. We are going to run through what each is and what they are used for today to try and undo the confusion.

First of all, notice the spelling of each. Sitemaps vs site map.

Sitemaps are XML files. They are meant for search bots and computer programs that understand the Sitemaps protocol (standard). Not all bots that roam the net understand the Sitemaps protocol. The 3 big players in the search industry do, Google, Bing and Yahoo! along with some others.

A site map on the other hand is a regular Iweb page that humans, assistive technology and all search bots can read. It uses regular (X)HTML coding to present the information.

We will cover Sitemaps first and then move onto (X)HTML site maps.
Continued at: http://www.webpagemistakes.ca/create...html-site-map/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-25-2011, 12:01 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed, May 25, 2011 - Rotating content

How does Google handle pages with content that changes on each page load?

[YT]vlwsuL1cbg0[/YT]

Googlebot will not be able to see all the options in the rotation.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs, May 26, 2011 - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly of Image SEO

Thursday's Tip is as follows.

Quote:
Google’s Webmaster Guidelines for the design and content of a website are short but sweet. Containing only 10 bullet points, you can be sure that only the most important aspects of on-page optimization are listed. Yet surprisingly, ALT attributes are mentioned not once, but three times, and the last bullet point even includes a link to image guidelines.

With the importance search engines place on image optimization it is shocking to see how many websites don’t utilize the ALT attribute and have poorly named images.

Below is a quick guide on what I consider the “Big Three” of image SEO best practices.
Continued at: http://www.seo.com/blog/good-bad-ugly-image-seo/

Please read the blog comments on this blog post. Also if you have anything to add to this blog post, post the response on the blog. Feel free to create a thread if we don't have one already on this topic if you wish to discuss this a little deeper on V7N.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri, May 27, 2011 -Is your website used by search engine spammer?

Truly innovative way of stealing the link juice. Hackers are getting smarter every day.

Quote:
Spammers have found a new way to get high rankings on Google. The new trick involves hacked websites and the canonical tag. Is your website at risk? What can you do to avoid this?

What exactly has happened?

In an online forum, webmasters reported a new spam method. Hackers inserted the canonical tag on websites of other people:

"I came across a website with canonical tags setup on all of their pages and they were pointing to a spam site. I suspect someone hacked in and changed the canonical tags to siphon link juice.

Now that cross cross-domain canonical tags are supported I would not be surprised if this becomes more common. The canonical tag is a small line of code that is easy to overlook despite its large implications."

Google's Matt Cutts confirmed this in a Twitter tweet: "A recent spam trend is hacking websites to insert rel=canonical pointing to hacker's site. If U suspect hacking, check 4 it."

Why is this a problem?

The original purpose of the rel=canonical tag is to help website owners eliminate self-created duplicate content. The canonical tag tells search engine spiders the original source of a file.

For example, a search engine robot might visit the web page "www.example.com/page4.htm". If that page contains the tag <link rel="canonical" href="http://www.originalpage.com/"> then search engines will show originalpage.com in the search results instead of example.com.

If hackers add the canonical tag to your web pages and point it to another website then your website content will help another website to get high rankings while your own website will lose all of its rankings.

Read more: http://www.free-seo-news.com/newslet...#ixzz1NZQRb6IT

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum