Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-28-2011, 01:12 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat, May 28, 2011 - No follow tag for internal links?

Have you ever thought about adding rel="nofollow" to your internal pages? Don't worry about it, you don't have to. In fact it's kinda silly.

[YT]bVOOB_Q0MZY[/YT]

Old 05-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sun, May 29, 2011 - Anatomy of Google Search Results Listing

When reviewing your results in Google, it would help to understand the anatomy of the listings so you can judge if changes in your site are required.

Very thorough (as usual from Ann Smarty) and long article on the anatomy and evolution of Google search results:
Quote:
From its onset, Google search struck (and appealed to) everyone due to its simplistic white-background interface.

Years have passed, and Google has been experimenting with various (slight) interface changes, advanced search options and different listing components. This article is about the evolution of the latter: let’s take a look at what each Google search result listing consists of, and how it has been changed throughout the years.
The Anatomy and Evolution of Google Search Results Listing

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Mon, May 30, 2011 - How To Use Twitter for SEO

Using Twitter for SEO. This blog post shares a few tips to think about when using twitter.

Quote:
It’s official. Google and Bing include social signals – namely, links that get tweeted on Twitter – when determining rankings in their search results. This was confirmed by Danny Sullivan in his December 1, 2010 post on Search Engine Land, and it was likely a factor for a while before that.

To put this new factor in perspective, Google uses hundreds of signals to determine how it should rank a website. These include inbound links to the site, the title tag of a web page, and site speed.

Getting people to link to your site is really all about having great content that people want to share, whether on their blogs or websites, or on Twitter. As Google and other search engines increasingly take note of social activity and the links shared on sites like Twitter, having a good social media presence will become increasingly important for ranking well in search results.

Many companies have been employing social media as a part of their marketing strategy, and for good reason. Now that social activity has so much impact on search engine optimization (SEO), companies that take SEO seriously know they must use social media as part of their strategy for getting onto the first page of search results.
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/05/2...itter-for-seo/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 05-31-2011, 02:04 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tues, May 31, 2011 , When to submit reconsideration req to Google

[YT]ntJhrM7CU5I[/YT]

Basic stuff to be reminded.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed, June 1, 2011 - An SEO's Guide to HTTP Status Codes

It's a little early but i thought this blog post that i'm about to share was good enough to add to this sticky thread. Also one less thing to remember to do after i wake up. lol

Quote:
A while back, I started thinking about how the different status codes and redirects (301s, 302s, etc.) might look visually. I started drawing up some ideas for what was going to be an illustrated blog post, but then it suddenly dawned on me that I was slowly creating an infographic. I then proceeded to have a conversation with myself about how I could never create an infographic and was probably doomed. Depression turned into mania which turned into depression - this happened about 47 times between 9:00 and 9:14am. Actually, that's the start of my typical day.

I could go on, but I'll just cut to the chase. I took the most useful HTTP status codes, from an SEO perspective, and illustrated how they work. It's half cheat-sheet, half-infographic, and mostly just an excuse for me to have some fun. Hopefully, somebody learns something. This is completely my fault, so if you gouge your own eyes out with a spork to escape the horror, don't sue SEOmoz.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/an-seos-g...p-status-codes

Submit any comments that you have on the SEOmoz blog

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-02-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs, June 2, 2011 - Google +1 Your Website to Make it Standout

Have you heard the news about Google Plus 1 yet? It just launched and there are mixed emotions about whether it will be a bust or actually work. Anyways, SEO.com did a little blog post on this. I've added this button to my pages late last night. Now if you want to discuss about this new feature by google then post a comment in this on-going discussion that we have going already.

http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...on-launch.html

Google +1 Your Website to Make it Standout

Quote:
It‘s official. Today, Google launches the +1 button for websites. This is potentially a big game changer for SEO firms as it may change the way Google ranks websites. According to Google, the button will allow website visitors to give a “+1” rating to content they find useful. This rating system will allow website visitors to influence what content appears in the search results.

With a single click you can recommend that raincoat, news article or favorite sci-fi movie to friends, contacts and the rest of the world. The next time your connections search, they could see your +1’s directly in their search results, helping them find your recommendations when they’re most useful.

Webmasters may use the tool illustrated in the image below to create a customized +1 button for their websites. The tool provides code based on your customizations. After that just copy and paste the code onto the pages of your website. You can see what the +1 button looks like now on our blog...
Continued at: http://www.seo.com/blog/google-1-website-standout/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri, June 3, 2011 - Schema.org - A New Approach

Yesterday We should of all heard about Schema.org and here is todays SEO tip of the day from the SEOmoz blog. T.G.I.F.

Quote:
Just every now and again, search engines love to throw our merry band of SEO types the occasional curveball and keep us on our toes with new toys and updates. Yesterday was one such day for the world of structured data in web page design.

What’s structured data?

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past two years, you’ll be all over “rich snippets” – those fabulous little search results that help you stand out from the crowd in your organic rankings. Structured data added to web pages helps search engines parse your data into different types of search results, like recipe search. Review ratings, events, recipes, company names, contact name, job titles and even friend connections on Facebook have at some stage been visible in the search results for “white listed” web sites.

Making the right choice on the use of markup

In Google’s words, “adding markup is much harder if every search engine asks for data in a different way.” – this is so true. For webmasters making the difficult decision on which markup to choose has been quite a hurdle. The simplicity of Microformats over the depth and creativity of RDFa, or the HTML5 working group approved Microdata? What about the RDF/XML based Goodrelations for ecommerce?

It seems the search engines have made that choice for us by introducing a new, standardised collaboration called schema.org.
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/schemaorg...d-data-for-seo

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-04-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat., June 4, 2011 - Identify Problematic SEO Surface Elements

Yikes, it's 12:15a.m. and i forgot to update this sticky thread. Here is something to consider using. (If your SEO tool works just fine and then no need to change)

Using LinkExaminer to Identify Problematic SEO Surface Elements

Quote:
I was reading Rae Hoffman-Dolan's post on Simple Linking Maintenance for WordPress Sites and was reminded of a tool I used to use regularly to not only identify broken links, but to quickly identify other SEO issues within a website.

LinkExaminer is an SEO friendly link scanning utility that not only helps users to identify broken links within their website, it can help to identify other SEO problems such as missing titles, robots.txt exclusion, and redirects caused by the http headers.

The tool is simple to use. Once downloaded, you can open the application and easily begin analyzing your site:
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...kexaminer.html

Any comments about this tool, please post them on the blog post or create a new thread on V7N forum.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday., June 5, 2011 - SEO Tips for Mobile SEO

I was searching google for something similiar to this blog post i'm about to share and thought about sharing this blog post on V7N.

Quote:
With the changing lifestyle and fashion wear, cell phones industry is also changing its technology and features at the speed of light, bringing business from physical existence to the web and now concision the businesses to cell phone browsers. It makes me say WOW! And on the other hand it makes me pull my hair with astonishment because it is also bringing new challenges in SEO world.

The usage of mobile is increasing day by day and so is the use of mobile browsers. The trend shows the massive mobile usage is 95% is being used for searches for various website products or services. As the mobile searches are growing in number daily, so the SEOs also have to be on their toes to be prepared to face the actual challenges to come due to these mobile searches. The audience is converting towards using the internet from their cell phones and as a SEO expert is now thinking what to do and what new SEO tips to follow. The shocking SEO news is that according...
Continued at: http://www.seotipss.com/unveiling-th...e-seo-of-2011/

Here is another nice blog post to read. http://technewscast.com/technology/t...er-mobile-seo/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday., June 6, 2011 - The Panda Enigma

Sit back and grab a cup of coffee or your favorite drink for this blog post.

Quote:
Google’s Panda algorithm is an enigma, a paradox. On one hand, it has devastated many web-based businesses. That is not a trivial thing. On the other hand, in time it has the potential to truly improve search quality and evolve information retrieval. It simultaneously destroys SEO-reliant sites that have leveraged Google’s vulnerabilities, while it emphatically raises the entry to organic search as a marketing channel.

Panda has left sites starved and depleted of traffic, crushed in its wake. It has also brought out the best efforts of SEOs trying to find answers and solutions to the riddles.

In my own experience, for some queries it has greatly improved search quality, while for others, caused an odd retrograde. Anyone remember the Vince update? Brand bias seems to be back in a big way, something Aaron Wall has been pretty vocal about.

One important note: while brands tend to benefit from authority signals, Vince was technically not a brand bias per se, but rather a weighting to authority metrics for head terms, in which brands naturally benefited the most. This is important in the context of Panda, too.

While there certainly is a reason to lean on brands for relevance in search, much of what we’re seeing on the web is the ‘real world’ lining up with the Internet. Brands and big business rule, on and off the web, but that wasn’t always true.

There was a time when the Internet held...
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...or-SEO-Factors

Share your thoughts on the blog i just linked you to.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday., June 7, 2011 - Ranking Factors for 2011

SEOMoz has put out a good piece of information all of us need to look at i think. Make sure you read the whole blog post that's a little on the long side.
Quote:
Since 2005, SEOmoz has released a new version of the Search Ranking Factors survey every two years, a piece of content that many in the SEO world have used and referenced. This year, we've continued that tradition and added a whole new element of research, comparing the aggregated opinions of 132 SEOs around the world with correlation data from over 10,000 results in Google.

Because this document is quite large, we've divided it into a number of sub-sections based on the type and focus of the data. This intro video can help provide some more information (and is available on the overview page as well).
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/new-editi...-for-2011-live

Feel free to post a blog comment on the blog if you have anything to say about this.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Weds, June 8, 2011 - 5 International Link Building Blunders

I'm still not awake but going to post a tip in here now before i get forget. lol

Top 5 International Link Building Blunders

Quote:
There are many ways to get international links. Like anything when it comes to link building, it isn't easy. If you know the blunders ahead of time, your odds of actually getting a link will greatly improve.

Global Link Building: Avoid the 5 Biggest Blunders

When it comes to international SEO, most of the rules are the same: have a site that can easily be crawled, make sure your pages are ripe with relevant content, and have good quality links pointing to it. However, this is easier said than done.

U.S. link building tactics quite often don’t work in other countries. This is one major reason why people call international search experts to figure out what went wrong.

To increase the odds of getting a link, here are the top five biggest blunders companies should avoid when they venture to global link building.
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...lding-Blunders

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs., June 9, 2011 - How To Sniff Out An SEO Rat

Someone say Rat?

whoops, let's get to the blog post.

Quote:
With all the discussion of individuals ratting out websites and or certain SEO companies you probably think this post is about just that. Don't worry, you can breathe a sigh of relief, I wouldn't waste yours nor my time with such a post. However, I absolutely will take this time to help you sniff out SEO rats that are looking to take advantage of small businesses by promising top search engine rankings. A realistic promise is a great point to start off with...

SEO Expectations and Promises

Everyone wants to rank for trophy keywords but I'll let you in on a little secret, if you're a small business you probably don't stand a chance. With that said please don't let these SEO rats come into your office swearing up and down that they have the magic tools to get your site ranking for "book"
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/how-to-sni...mp-your-wallet

If you want to comment on this SEO tip then please post a blog comment on the linked blog or create a new thread on V7N forum.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri., June 10, 2011 - Schema.org Opts for Microdata

Many of you have probably already heard about Schema.org, a pact between Google and Bing/Yahoo, wherein they agreed upon a common structure for meta data.

It seems to have angered some people, that the search engines would usurp the position of W3C, that has for some time stated their preference for RDFa - mostly because Schema.org chose to endorse microdata over the others.

Fortunately, the earlier reports that microformats and RDFa had been rendered obsolete by Schema.org's favoring of microdata were exaggerated... somewhat.

RDFa and microformats are still recognized by the search engines, so if you just finished reworking your site in RDFa, there's no need to start over again. However, Schema.org's announcement will undoubtedly have the effect of herding many developers into the microdata arena, which could very well kill RDFa and microformats, in the long run.

Rand Fishkin, of SEOMoz.org, was joined by Duane Forrester, of Bing on this week's Whiteboard Friday.

One comment made in that video by Forrester that I think is noteworthy was this:
"This is something you need to start considering investing in. You've got to start getting this into your dev pipeline and figuring out when you're going to implement it."

Personally, I think RDFa is the best option. But funny... Neither Google nor Bing called to ask my opinion.

If you want to comment on this SEO tip then please post a blog comment on the linked blog or create a new thread on V7N forum.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat., June 11, 2011 - A Need For Speed?

For the folks who are up this late on a saturday night, i have a tip to share with you really fast.

In fact... it's about pagespeed.

Quote:
Although Matt Cutts has said that pageload speed is a ranking factor, he also said that fewer than 1% of search queries are affected by the site speed signal, and that relevance was still a much more critical factor.

That said, though, we all know the frustration of landing on a page that takes 10, 15 or even 20 seconds to load. And if we find it frustrating, it’s a safe bet that we’re not alone. In the days of dial-up connections and 28.8k modems, a user might have assumed that a slow load was the fault of his connection. Today, though, that’s no longer the case.

If your pages are loading in 2 or 3 seconds, then you...
Continued at: http://docsheldon.com/feeling-a-need-for-speed

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - Review of Keyword Strategy Tool

I don't know if anyone has heard of or even used this tool yet but there is a good review on it to read.

Quote:
Fraser Cain asked me to review Keyword Strategy. He gave me an account and invited me to use it liberally and make suggestions for improving the service. So for the past few months I have been using Keyword Strategy here on SEO Theory, the most active of my blogs. I am not including any screen captures because I don’t have time to blur them to protect my private data. Sorry.

Let me say up front that I am by no means an expert user. I have had many distractions (including the emergency server change in April which devastated all my primary Websites). Still, the one thing I noticed as soon as I signed up for the service is that the user interface puts data right at your fingertips. There are no glossy self-promotional teaser pages that you have to click through every time you log into the service.

Overview of Keyword Strategy User Interface

You work with a spreadsheet-like grid that has multiple tabs covering....
Continued at: http://www.seo-theory.com/2011/06/07...y-an-seo-tool/

Look around the blog for more good stuff.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-13-2011, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, June 13, 2011 - Handling Multilingual Sites

I was just on the Bruce Clay blog and found something to share for Monday's SEO Tip. Check it out below.

Handling Multilingual Sites for Humans and Search Engines

Quote:
Every international SEO project must be evaluated and solved carefully according to its particularities, but there are some basics to cover if you want to ensure a smooth-as-silk experience. This is what we’re going to cover today. Given the worldwide reach of Bruce Clay, Inc., and being an international and multilingual SEO myself, this topic came naturally and is something I’m passionate about.

Combining the Best User Experience and a Perfect Indexation

Let’s look at an example of a site with different languages. We could organize it in directories like:

http://mysite.com English, default language
http://mysite.com/fr/ for French
http://mysite.com/es/ for Spanish
http://mysite.com/ru/ for Russian

My few followers know how often I argue against languages in subdomains when country level domains (ccTLDs) are not an option, but this is another story.

What I propose here will also work for....
Continued at: http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/2011/0...earch-engines/

If you have any comments on this blog post, please post a comment on the blog or create a thread on V7N.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day:Tuesday, June 14, 2011 - Advanced SEO Book

Todays tip is a good one. It's another SEO book for you to read and i'm pretty much sure you have not read this one yet. First read the full blog post before visiting the site where you can get this SEO Book.

Advanced SEO Book: How To Learn SEO the Right Way

Quote:
It’s true that a lot has been said and written about SEO by now. Experts choose different styles and different ways to put it: some choose to share strategic advice while others (like me) are better at outlining simply DIY SEO tactics and tips.

It is not hard to find well-structured information on the right way to do things: how to do keyword research, craft your web copy, structure your website architecture and interlink parts of it. What’s really hard to learn is to how approach SEO creatively.

Advanced SEO Book by...
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/a...denberg/30529/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed., June 15, 2011 - The True Value Of Links

Todays tip is from the SEObook.com blog. Very good blog post to read tonight.

Quote:
Do you know anyone who got their rankings back after Update Panda trashed their site?

There may be some, and there may be some people who get their rankings back eventually, but the problem is a fundamental one:

If the Google dragon flicks her tail in your direction, and all you rely on is rankings, you're screwed

That's life in SEO. Google flicks her tail, and some webmasters may never be heard from again. The solution to this problem isn't to hope and pray the dragon won't target you. The solution is to acknowledge that the dragon has the power to make your life miserable, and figure out ways to avoid that pain in future.
Continued at: http://www.seobook.com/true-value-links

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 06-16-2011, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, June 16, 2011 - 7 Deadly SEO Sins

Another great article on the sitepronews blog. This is todays SEO tip and have a very good lunch break.

Quote:
When compared to its offline marketing counterparts (things like PR, promotions and advertising), SEO has a pretty negative reputation. Many consumers hear “SEO” and think to themselves “Oh yes, that’s when companies flood my inbox with junk mail and pepper my screen in pop-up ads.” Others see SEO as an attempt to game the system and spin the search results.

Even though SEO has been around for long time (pretty much as long as there have been search engines), the industry as a whole still has a bad reputation. This is mainly because of the actions of a few SEO spammers and black hat practitioners. They are the ones who are actively trying to manipulate the search engines and they are the ones that send you e-mails in the middle of the night with subject lines like “A weight loss program that lets you eat cheeseburgers and pizza? It’s true!”

As a site owner, you never want to have your brand lumped in with these SEO con men, even if you didn’t mean to engage in black hat SEO. That is why it is important to avoid the following SEO sins:
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/06/1...usive-article/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum