Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, June 17, 2011 - Supporting rel="canonical" HTTP Headers

T.G.I.F.... o wait Friday is over since it's past midnight.

Below is Friday's SEO Tip.

Quote:
Based on your feedback, we’re happy to announce that Google web search now supports link rel="canonical" relationships specified in HTTP headers as per the syntax described in section 5 of IETF RFC 5988. Webmasters can use rel="canonical" HTTP headers to signal the canonical URL for both HTML documents and other types of content such as PDF files.

To see the rel="canonical" HTTP header in action, let’s look at the scenario of a website offering a white paper both as an HTML page and as a downloadable PDF alternative, under these two URLs:

http://www.example.com/white-paper.html
http://www.example.com/white-paper.pdf

In this case, the webmaster can signal to Google that the canonical URL for the PDF download is the HTML document by using a rel="canonical" HTTP header when the PDF file is requested; for example:
Continued at: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...p-headers.html

Old 06-18-2011, 09:04 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat, June 18, 2011 - Should I serve Googlebot content-only page?

Caution! you might accidentally thinking of doing cloaking to speed up your website speed.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you dont have Flash installed.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, June 19, 2011 - Harvest These 5 Types of SEO Fruit

Sundays SEO tip is from the Bruce Clay blog. Lot's more SEO stuff on the blog if you have some time to browse around.

Quote:
I like to think of SEO as being similar to farming. Not content farms, but actual farming. You plant some seeds, and if taken care of properly, you can reap the benefits of your labor. For most site owners, even if they’ve already reaped some of those benefits, there are five specific things they can do to help improve the results for their site if they haven’t already: incoming links, defining a site’s URL, Title tags, internal linking and analytics..
Continued at: http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/2011/0...-of-seo-fruit/

Old 06-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, June 20, 2011 - Top Onsite Factors for 2012

We have a few threads on this topic already but i'm still going to share a few tips from a blog i subscribe to. If you want to comment on this blog post then search for a thread on this topic.

Quote:
Onsite factors play a role in ranking your site in the SERP’s. The question that most people want to know is what onsite factors they should spend more time on, and which ones are the most important for your site. I have created a list of the top onsite factors for the future, which I feel will have the most effect on your rankings.

1. Content

Good content is what people are looking for whenever they search on Google. If your page is optimised for a certain keyword, but your content is....
Continued at: http://dailyseotip.com/top-onsite-fa...for-2012/1643/

Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 - Panda Information

O yes, there is another Panda update in the mix. It's supposed to fix a few mistakes Google made on the first one but i have mixed feelings about Google getting things right. Check out this blog post for our SEO tip of the day today.

Quote:
With Google Panda Update 2.2 upon us, it’s worth revisiting what exactly Panda is and isn’t. Panda is a new ranking factor. Panda is not an entirely new overall ranking algorithm that’s employed by Google. The difference is important for anyone hit by Panda and hoping to recover from it.

Google’s Ranking Algorithm & Updates

Let’s start with search engine optimization 101. After search engines collect pages from across the web, they need to sort through them in demand to searches that are done. Which are the best? To decide this, they employ a ranking algorithm. It’s like a recipe for cooking up the best results.

Like any recipe, the ranking algorithm contains many ingredients. Search engines look at words that appear on pages, how people are linking to pages, try to calculate the reputation of websites and more. Our Periodic Table Of SEO Ranking Factors explains more about this.

Google is constantly.....
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/why-goog...m-update-82564

Now if you want to discuss the new panda update, check out the google section for the new thread.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed., June 22, 2011 New SEO Book: SEOs’ 7 Curiously Obvious Rules

In case you haven’t noticed, I have been out of pocket in recent weeks, so I thought I had better come up with a particularly good tip for my return to action!

What I have for you today is really a package of tips – a new ebook by Gabriel Goldenberg that I believe any search marketer will want to study: Advanced SEOs’ 7 Curiously Obvious Rules And 30 Singular Tactics That Illustrate Them. This is not a beginner’s SEO book, but is targeted to search marketing professionals and webmasters with at least an intermediate SEO skill level.

Goldenberg shares solid experience about how to get an in-depth education on advanced SEO techniques - whether through reading widely, networking privately or teaching yourself. For example, when Goldenberg wanted to increase his knowledge on link buying, he offered his services for free to a client that could afford a sizable campaign.

The book covers the basic of testing – a tool that should be in every SEO’s arsenal; Critical Thinking, a topic and skill that is rarely recognized in Internet marketing circles – and he includes some exercises to help you develop the ability to think critically.

Below is the table of contents that reveals the 7 rules. I will leave it to you to read the book for the 30 tactics. You can download a free chapter from http://book.seoroi.com.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 06-23-2011 at 10:26 AM. Reason: corrected link to chapter download

Old 06-23-2011, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, June 23, 2011 Five SEO Tasks You Should Do Every Day

Notwithstanding my dislike of the the sponsored ads “above the fold” I do think this article, 5 SEO Tasks You Should Do Every Day should help newer SEOs and DIY webmasters organize their approach to link building and maintenance.

Link management is outlined, including how to check links, and the author suggests reordering them to put the most important first and categorizing them.

My own personal experience has shown me that link pages that are organized more like content than a directory tend to remain in Google’s index and even retain toolbar PR. I’ve seen a lot of link exchange pages dropped, but those that have contextual links rather than a list of Title: Description style links seem to fare better with Google. The trick is to make sure the content is worthwhile, of course, as well as putting links within the sentences rather than at the beginning. I always rewrite the content of a link exchange. I am happy to use the anchor text requested, if it is relevant, but I want the description to be unique.

The article discusses techniques for checking links and evaluating exchange requests.

Read the rest of the article.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, June 24, 2011 Consider The Source

The more SEOs and SEO information around, the more carefully you need to vet your sources. I was searching for a SEO tip for this thread today and saw a Tweet that read:
Quote:
Simple SEO Meta Tags - Optimize Your meta tags! Meta keywords tag: it should contain your primary keyword... [link removed to avoid embarrassing the author]
I read the article and it was … well, full of mistakes and misconceptions and outdated information. For example:

Quote:
Meta keywords tag: it should contain your primary keyword and its common misspellings and synonyms for spiders/web crawlers to pick up. You can have approximately 800 characters in this tag (including spaces)…The meta keywords tag is typically used to highlight a couple of the main keyword phrases on which the page is focused. The meta description tag should be a few sentences of text that uses various versions of your keywords and describes the purpose of the given page.
In 2002, Danny Sullivan reported only one search engine still used the meta keyword tag: Inktomi. (http://www.seomoz.org/learn-seo/meta-description) And I can tell you from my own test of the tag that it has no effect in any major engine.

So, consider the source before you accept anyone’s word on SEO (or anything else, naturally.). If you don’t know the author, don’t believe what you read. Verify any information that is new or contrary to what you have learned from other reliable sources. Forums such as V7N are a great place to check information. Just start a new thread with your question; chances are a variety of members, from professionals to newbies will weigh in on the topic, but at least you can see the reputation of members, which gives you an idea of what other members think if a member’s authority.

Simply put: don’t believe everything you read.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - Use SEO Wisely for Long-term Profits

This is Saturday's Tip. I was M.I.A yesterday. lol

How to Use SEO Wisely for Long-term Profits

Quote:
By now, we have all read about the basics of search engine optimization. But despite knowing all the best practices, only a very few of us practice them. I know this because shamefully, it was only recently I realized that most of my content isn’t search engine optimized.

This doesn’t make sense: you work hard using social media to get the word out about your glorious new post and are dying to see your Twitter stream blow up with your content. That’s great and all, but why not optimize your work for the search engines and receive consistent, targeted traffic every day?

See, it’s the year 2011 and having grown up in an age where the Internet has morphed into a powerful tool, we use it for far more than stalking people on Facebook; I personally use the Internet for online shopping, restaurant reviews, dentist reviews (not kidding!), product reviews, checking out bands, downloading music… I could go on forever. Whoever has their sites ranking in the top few related results is....
Continued at: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...-term-profits/

Old 06-26-2011, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - Local Search Presence

Monday is just around the corner. Sunday's tip is about Local Search Presence Through Regionalization.

Quote:
As you venture through Natural Search Optimization, your primary goal is to expand the reach of your website to a global level. What happens when you have a client with specific geographic limitations though? If you or your client has a limited service area, then you should place a particular focus on localizing your website.

The following localization strategies will allow you to improve your local presence, and increase site traffic within your targeted geographic area.

I. On-site Localization Strategies

The easiest way to increase your regional presence is to provide location data across your website. If you provide complete, logical information regarding your place of business and your service areas, you are more likely to appear higher in location-specific searches.

Provide Complete Location Data On Site

An excellent rule to observe, for SEO best practices as well as a localized search strategy, is to include your complete business address on your contact information page. By making it easy for visitors to see your address, you are not only establishing credibility, but also...
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/increasing...egionalization

Don't forget to read the blog comments and as well post a comment yourself if you have a question about this blog post.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, June 27, 2011 - Timing Your Tweets

Timing is everything when it comes to comedy -- and Tweets. When you broadcast a message on Twitter, its effectiveness depends on who sees it. And that depends on who's watching when.

Sprout Social, a subscriber platform I use to manage several Twitter accounts offers some suggestions for timing, but there are several services that provide even more specific suggestions.

When to Tweet: 7 Timing Tools for Success covers several programs to help you gauge the best times: When to Tweet, Tweriod, TweetStats, Timely (which seems very similar to what Sprout Social offers), Social Flow, Crowdbooster and TweetWhen. The graph below is from TweetWhen:

Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, June 28, 2011 - Online Reputation Management

This thread usually focuses on SEO tips for DIY webmasters or professional SEOs whose goal is to push their websites higher in the top search engines, but search techniques can also be applied to individuals who need to manage their online reputation – such as job applicants. A recent blog post, HOW TO: Manage Your Online Reputation Using SEO, suggests that job candidates would often fare much better if they Googled themselves first, and took pro-active steps to counter any negatives they found. According to a 2009 study commissioned by Microsoft:
Quote:
Of the almost 80% of U.S. hiring managers who had searched for candidates online, 70% of them said they had rejected a candidate based on what they found in his or her search results….
The article lays out a step by step process to check your online rep, and repair it using SEO techniques.

Read the full article: http://kcclaveria.visibli.com/share/JPk3an.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 - Google To Highlight Quality Authors

If you work hard to create content for your website – or others - Google says you deserve recognition. They started a new program yesterday to highlight authors who link their content to their Google profile or to an author page.

From Google’s Inside search blog post.
Quote:
... authorship is a great way to identify and highlight high-quality content. Plus, the web is centered around people. People discovering content on the web often want to learn more about its author, see other content by that author, and even interact with the author.
If you’d like to see your name and photo alongside your content on the web, you’ll want to learn how to mark up your web pages to make your authorship clear to the search giant.

Quote:
If you run a website with authored content, you’ll want to learn about authorship markup in our help center. The markup uses existing standards such as HTML5 (rel=”author”) and XFN (rel=”me”) to enable search engines and other web services to identify works by the same author across the web. If you're already doing structured data markup using microdata from schema.org, we'll interpret that authorship information as well.

We wanted to make sure the markup was as easy to implement as possible. To that end, we’ve already worked with several sites to markup their pages, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, CNET, Entertainment Weekly, The New Yorker and others. In addition, we’ve taken the extra step to add this markup to everything hosted by YouTube and Blogger. In the future, both platforms will automatically include this markup when you publish content.
Learn more about the mark up: http://insidesearch.blogspot.com/201...eb-search.html.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - The Future of SEO Remains The Same

Some things change, some things remain the same.

While some SEO tactics, such as article marketing, may lose their effectiveness in the wake of Panda and Google’s continuous assault on lower quality link techniques, some things never change. For example, links matter, and for the foreseeable future, that’s remains the way to the top - surpassing relevant content by far, IMO. A post in Search Engine Journal today, SEO – What Does The Future Hold? goes even farther and says links will always matter (bold mine):

Quote:
  • Backlinks – Websites that have more qualify links to them are considered more popular in their market, and as such will rank higher in their search fields. It will always be the case that sites that have more links will rule.
  • Quality – Websites that have quality links from authoritative websites will be ranked higher due to the strength of the links. Numbers do not count for everything (quality over quantity).
So, if article marketing is dead – or dying – where do you find quality links? The answer hasn't changed: by creating compelling content that attracts links, by creating compelling content that other quality sites will publish, i.e. guest blogging on authority sites.

Here are some timeless V7N resources to help you with attracting and building quality links:

Old 07-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, July 1, 2011 - A Solid SEO Guide for Beginners

The best new guide to SEO for beginners might be “A 50 Lesson Guide to Search Engine Optimisation” released today by the UK firm, SEO Specialist. The lessons are organized into 4 major areas: SEO Analysis; On-Page SEO; Off-Page SEO: Link Building Factors and SEO Performance Management. There aren’t any ground breaking advanced SEO secrets here, but SEO newbies will find a solid overview of the steps and processes of basic search optimization. There are also comprehensive resources where needed. For example, keyword research tools include:

• Google AdWords Keywords Tool
• Google Insights
• Google Trends
• Google Zeitgeist
• Wordtracker
• Microsoft AdCenter Keyword Tool
• Trellian’s Keyword Discovery
And the web analytics section covers a broad range of traffic analysis and webmaster tools available. http://www.seospecialist.co.uk/schoo...alytics-tools/. Any DIY webmaster or SEO wannabe will feel well grounded after studying and implementing these 50 lessons: http://www.seospecialist.co.uk/school/.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, July 2, 2011 - Beyond PageRank

(yes, I know it's not quite Saturday yet in some places of the world)

This was posted on the Official Google Webmaster Central Blog by Susan Moskwa, Webmaster Trends Analyst on Thursday, June 30, 2011 to once again tell people to quit stressing over PR (PageRank).

Quote:
...Even the most inexperienced site owners I talk with have often heard about, and want to know more about, PageRank (“PR”) and what it means for their site. However, as I said in my fateful forum post, the Webmaster Central team has been telling webmasters for years that they shouldn't focus so much on PageRank as a metric for representing the success of one’s website. Today I’d like to explain this position in more detail and give you some relevant, actionable options to fill your time once you stop tracking your PR!...

...The focus on PageRank as a success metric only works if you assume that a higher PageRank results in better ranking, then assume that that will drive more traffic to your site, then assume that that will lead to more people doing-whatever-you-want-them-to-do on your site. On top of these assumptions, remember that we only update the PageRank displayed on the Google Toolbar a few times a year, and we may lower the PageRank displayed for some sites if we believe they’re engaging in spammy practices. So the PR you see publicly is different from the number our algorithm actually uses for ranking. Why bother with a number that’s at best three steps removed from your actual goal, when you could instead directly measure what you want to achieve? Finding metrics that are directly related to your business goals allows you to spend your time furthering those goals....
Susan Moskwa, Webmaster Trends Analyst
Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Beyond PageRank: Graduating to actionable metrics
(bolded bits by yours truly)

She goes on to explain what things you should be monitoring to measure your success like conversion rate, bounce rate and clickthrough rate which you can track through Webmaster Tools and/or Google Analytics. These you can monitor daily and make changes as needed instead of going by information like the public Google Toolbar PR which is only updated a few times a year.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 07-01-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: fix wording

Old 07-03-2011, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, July 3, 2011 - Misleading Keyword Research Pitfalls

It's Sunday. Did i miss Saturday? Weekend is going by fast and here is your SEO tip for today.

By the way, Basic's SEO tip from yesterday is a very good article. Please read it if you have not done so already.

Sunday's Tip:

Misleading Keyword Research Pitfalls: An Advanced Tutorial

Quote:
Earlier today I had a friend of mine visit me at my pad and he looked quite worried. When inquired I realized that he was worried about his site not doing good enough in the search results and making even lesser money for him from even little traffic that he received. He was clueless about why a site wont rank in the search engines when the keyword research was done, onpage optimization was at its best, there were natural links built to the site, except that he was wrong about a small part – the keyword research was not done right!

It is no brainer that the friend in the picture is just a metaphor to symbolize any webmaster or a writer out there suffering from the same dilemma – why does my site not perform like I want it to even when the right keywords are selected. The simple answer – the keywords are wrong! You could end up choosing the wrong keyword even if you have the best tools for keyword research. Find out how your keyword research tools can be deceptive and how to make sure they don’t!

Difference between broad match and exact match

Alright you might have heard this a couple of times already so I am going to touch up the topic quickly. Every keyword research tool presents a...
Continued at: http://dailyseotip.com/misleading-ke...tutorial/1691/

Old 07-04-2011, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, July 4, 2011 - Winning Your Link Independence

Happy 4th of July everyone. Here is your Tip.

Quote:
It’s the 4th of July! And while we’re all enjoying our hot dogs and sparklers Will Smith is off somewhere punching an alien in the face…

Let’s be honest, most American Holidays have evolved into some sort of thematic commercial celebration. But at the root of it, this particular 3-Day Weekend isn’t just an excuse for potato salad, it a celebration of independence.

In SEO most of us are seeking liberation in one way or another. For some it may be breaking free from a constrictive CMS, for others it may be getting relief from a burdensome PPC budget. But for many, it’s about deliverance from the taxing task of building links.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m the first one to tell you that link building is perpetual. Actively thinking about and pursuing link opportunities is a constant process that should never stop. With that said, there’s more to SEO than just links. It’s a common assumption that links equal rankings, which equals profit. Yeah, it’s not quite that simple. It’s one thing to be passionate about link building, but when it comes at the expense of every other area of online marketing that’s not simply fascination, that’s a fixation. But with so many other powerful strategies, the ultimate goal should be the ability to get links even when you’re not really trying.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/w...endence/30903/

Old 07-05-2011, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 - WordPress SEO Checklist

Search engines do seem to love blogs, but there are some limitations in the default settings of the most popular blog software, WordPress. The default makes pages named by number, not keywords, for example. Jared Croslow, a dynamic Internet marketer, has created an SEO checklist to help webmasters overcome that problem and a host of other issues.

The topics include: changes to make to WordPress’s defaults settings; how to "hacker proof" your blog; how to Correct WordPress’s OnPage SEO – including alternatives to the popular plugin, All In One SEO; how to Optimize your Internal Link Juice, and a couple of social media plugins.

The checklist is available to download here, and a blog post that goes into details on some of these steps is here: http://www.cliconomics.com/wordpress-seo/.

I recommend adding Croslow’s blog to your must-reads if you’re looking for innovative online marketing tactics. He always has something new up his sleeve.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 - The Best SEO Advice I’ve Ever Heard

Among the frequently asked questions I see on forums is, How do I hire a good SEO? If you’re looking for the answer to that question, you might want to read the “Best SEO Advice” Brandon Baker of Emineer SEO has ever heard.

Only a successful SEO could offer this tip! Indeed, Emineer.com claims “New York SEO” as its target phrase, and places #9 in Google. You’ll have to read the advice to understand why I say this: http://www.emineer.com/best-seo-advice-ever.

Bonus Tips: even expert SEOs will get something of value from Emineer's post, Top 10 SEO Tips and Tricks for Beginners.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 07-06-2011 at 08:43 AM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum