Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, July 7, 2011 - The Impact of Social Media on SEO

Are you still not quite sure of the impact of social media on search? Do you still think that quality content and quality links is the fastest way to the top of the SERPs? Perhaps this very graphic difference in search results when a user was logged into Google and when not logged in, respectively, will give you a better picture.

Logged in:

Logged out:

In a post titled, From Social Annotations in Search: Now Your Social Network = Rankings, Rand Fishkin notes that the site everywhereist.com would not normally rank anywhere near the top in SERPs – unless you follow Geraldine on Twitter.

Quote:
Not only is Google annotating the listing with a photo, creating social proof and certainly increasing click-through-rate, they're also biasing to put these results on page 1 that might normally rank in utter obscurity. This isn't just true for obscure, random searches either, nor is it exclusive to Twitter. Not only is Google annotating the listing with a photo, creating social proof and certainly increasing click-through-rate, they're also biasing to put these results on page 1 that might normally rank in utter obscurity. This isn't just true for obscure, random searches either, nor is it exclusive to Twitter…

This should be giving everyone in search marketing a huge "ah ha" moment.
In other words, the connections you make in Twitter and Facebook are far more likely to see your website in search results even if they wouldn’t otherwise. More than ever, it’s whom you know.

Read the entire post: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/social-an...twork-rankings.

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, July 1, 2011 - How Google's Panda Update Changed SEO

An excellent video by Rand Fishkin on the impact of Google's Panda Updates (How Google's Panda Update Changed SEO Best Practices Forever)has been transcribed so if you prefer to read than watch a video, you can take advantage of the analysis.

What’s the bottom line?

Sites need to be user friendly and high quality. No, these are not new ideas, Fishkin says, but until recently, user friendliness didn’t impact SEO. In the wake of Panda, it would seem that game has changed. Content still rocks the SERPs world, but more than ever, it’s about quality and whether your content inspires not just links but Tweets.

Quality must be present throughout the site, Fishkin. And high quality, at that.

Quote:
....Google has actually said publicly that even if you have a great site, if you have a bunch of pages that are low quality on that site, they can drag down the rankings of the rest of the site. So you should try and block those for us or take them down. Wow. Crazy, right? That's what a machine learning algorithm, like Panda, will do. It will predicatively say, "Hey, you know what? We're seeing these features here, these elements, push this guy down."
Is your content good? Unique? Useful? Yes? Well, bully for you, so is the next guy’s.

Quote:
If you say, "Oh, I have 50,000 pages about 50,000 different motorcycle parts and I am just going to go to Mechanical Turk or I am going to go outsource, and I want a 100 word, two paragraphs about each one of them, just describe what this part is." You think to yourself, "Hey, I have good unique content." No, you have content that is going to be penalized by Panda. That is exactly what Panda is designed to do. It is designed to say this is content that someone wrote for SEO purposes just to have good unique content on the page, not content that makes everyone who sees it want to share it and say wow. Right?
So what does work?

Quote:
If I get to a page about a motorcycle part and I am like, "God, not only is this well written, it's kind of funny. It's humorous. It includes some anecdotes. It's got some history of this part. It has great photos. Man, I don't care at all about motorcycle parts, and yet, this is just a darn good page. What a great page. If I were interested, I'd be tweeting about this, I'd share it. I'd send it to my uncle who buys motorcycles. I would love this page." That's what you have to optimize for. It is a totally different thing than optimizing for did I use the keyword at least three times? Did I put it in the title tag? Is it included in there? Is the rest of the content relevant to the keywords? Panda changes this. Changes it quite a bit.
Bottom line: link and Tweet bait is more important than ever.

Read the rest of the post or watch the video: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-googl...teboard-friday.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, July 9, 2011 -Remarkable Content Checklist

Following up on yesterday's tip, I thought it would make sense to examine what makes remarkable content. After all, we aren't just looking for links, we also want to cause people to comment or 'remark' on it in Twitter or some other social network.

From Hubspot's Ultimate Checklist for Remarkable Content:

Quote:

1. Would your target audience share it? Sure, not everything on this list has to be true for every piece of content you create in order to make it remarkable, but this one is the exception. Think about my earlier example of the fishing article. To me, content about fishing isn't remarkable, but maybe I'm not the target audience for the author of the fishing pole article. The point is, your content doesn't have to be remarkable to everyone. It just has to be remarkable to your target audience. Before you publish your content, ask yourself if it's something you think your prospects will want to read and share with others. Is it something worthy of their remarks? If so, it's probably remarkable.
What else makes content remarkable? Read 7 more items:http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6...e-Content.aspx

Old 07-10-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

I predict Google+ will catch on and you will want to join. And when you do, you'll want a vanity URL. Exchange your ridiculously long numeric Google+ URL for a short one here: http://gplus.to. Mine is now http:// gplus.to/MJTaylor. It's essentially a shortened URL service like Bitly or Tiny URL.

It took me several tries, as I kept trying to put my entire G+ URL in the right hand box; you just need the number. So in case, you're as blonde (or tired?) as I am, I added a red arrow to make it even more clear.

See you on Plus.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 07-10-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, July 11, 2011 - Learn Something New Every Day

Learn Something New Every Day

That’s the title of this SEO tip of the day thread, and it’s my SEO tip for today.

When I started out in this business in the late 90s, I designed and optimized websites using the simplest of HTML code. As sites became more sophisticated, I had to make a choice: search engine optimization or design. Learn PHP and CSS or stick with SEO? I chose the left brain joy of keeping up to date with search marketing, and left the right brain satisfaction to graphic and web designers. When a client needed a new site, I planned and designed the site from a content, navigation and SEO marketing point of view, but I outsourced the graphics and design implementation.

My own site languished in an embarrassing heap outmoded tables and outdated graphics. It didn’t matter too much since I was more than busy enough; only my ego suffered. About a year ago, a few months after I started this thread, I decided I wanted to add a blog to my site and start a tip thread of my own. I wanted Thesis for my wordpress theme, but I had gotten so far from design that I was intimidated by hooks, and felt I had to find the right designer to update my site and add a blog at the same time.

Yesterday I woke up and soon found myself inspired by Google+. I felt compelled to write about it, and I didn’t want to post it in the forum. If only I had a blog, I said to myself. It was Sunday, I had nothing else to do, so I decided to try installing a blog and adding Thesis as the theme. I still don't understand anything about the hooks, and the blog is a work in progress, but the entire process was much easier than I ever imagined. You can see the result in the link just under my avatar on the left. (If you stop by, please do leave a comment and let me know what you think.)

The most amazing result, though, is that I woke up this morning reinvigorated with a desire to learn. I had made a commitment to the V7N Summer Long Blog Challenge http://blog.v7n.com/2011/06/02/blogg...ong-challenge/: 4 posts a week, but I will learn something new about my blog settings or SEO every day that I don't post.

Today I am going to reread the ultimate SEO checklist for bloggers I wrote about last week. Funny how my own tip is coming in pretty handy!

So, find something new to learn about today – SEO related, of course. It might be exploring Google+, or learning how to use a social media platform for Twitter and Facebook, such as Social Sprout. Or you might just go to the beginning of this thread and start reading the tips – we have rarely repeated ourselves, so you will find more than a year’s worth of daily tips that can open your eyes to new ways of promoting your site in the search engines.

May you find the excitement I feel and the desire to learn something new today and every day!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - InfoGraphic Neatly Sums Up SEO

Sometimes graphics are the best way to grasp a topic. I found myself drawn to this “info-graphic” from RMI that outlines what the company calls a “comprehensive approach to achieving online dominance in any category in any category.”

I am not I agree with the relative sizes of the bubbles. I would, for example, make off site influences larger than on site, but I still like the visual checklist. New SEOs or DIY webmasters can learn a lot from it.

(Larger version here: http://www.responsemine.com/seotactics/seo-poster/)

The SEO Takeway here isn’t about the 40 tactics, and how they fit together, imo; it’s about creating content that catches attention. How did they catch mine? They sent out a press release on PRWeb, the San Francisco Chronicle picked it up and posted it with a headline, Forty SEO Tips to Achieve Category Domination, that popped up when I was searching SEO news in Google this afternoon.

If you like the graphic and just have to have it as a poster for your office, guess what: they will send you one free if you email: leah.peterson@responsemine.com.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed., July 13, 2011 - Twitter: Time To Influence Your Followers

Twitter: It Takes Time To Increase Your Influence

It's not a numbers game, at least not entirely! It’s a matter or influence. Are you followers following you? I don’t just mean, have they added you? I mean, are they paying attention? Can you drive traffic, are you getting ReTweeted? And who is ReTweeting you? And are you taking the time to connect with your followers and those you follow?

We’ve all read about how to increase your followers, and most of those ideas are all about the numbers, but quantity doesn't count without quality in teh social media world. So, how do you increase your influence? I think there are at least three parts to the equation.

First and foremost, you have to share information that is useful and interesting to those who follow you. Your influence with those who follow you will increase in direct proportion to that factor; the higher the value of your Tweets, the higher your credibility and power to drive traffic, convert leads and increase your circle.

The next factor is the relationships you establish with those who follow you. If you are simply squawking, I mean Tweeting, at them, you aren’t really connecting, are you? When your followers ask a question, or Tweet about their own blog post, make the effort to answer them or comment on their blog. Obviously you can’t do this with every follower, but you can do it with those who post content that naturally interests you.

Assuming you are offering good content and know how to engage successfully with your connections, it makes sense to add folks whom you hope will follow you. Look for someone with something to say that you like. This might seem obvious, but I know a lot of folks just add anyone hoping it will lead somewhere. I like searching FollowerWonk.com with relevant keywords, and adding those who feel relevant or like-minded. It's the best Twitter directory I've found so far.

And I recently found a great list that brought me unexpected success: the 40 most approachable social media A Listers on Twitter. I ran across the list on Twitter. I didn’t start adding them to gain followers, though I certainly hoped they would follow me back. I added them because I thought they might have something to teach me.

I also took the time to DM each person I added to congratulate them on making such a list or remarking on something else we seemed to have in common. And I didn’t add every single person. I looked at their Tweets and their bio to see if it’s a fit. In the end, I might have added only a few people but they are connections that have the potential to matter.

As it happens, most of them followed me back, and I was tickled about that – and not surprised; after all, they made the list because they are approachable. But the bonus was, I gained almost 3 followers for every one I added. Do each of those followers matter? I won’t know until some time passes, but that’s what relationships take: time.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

MJ this is an awesome thread, loaded with great seo info, a bit overwhelming even. Thanks so much for starting and maintaining it. I wonder if having the social widgets on your pages alone helps? Even if they don't inspire loads of tweets or +1's?

Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Aleo. We really don't do discussion in this thread, but I would love to see you start a thread with your question.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, July 14, 2011 - Incoming Links Can Hurt A Site

For years, many SEOs and webmasters maintained that Google would never penalize a site for incoming links. Only selling links could get your PR stripped or your site penalized or removed from the index.

That's clearly no longer true. Buying links or being the recipient of bad incoming links” can now earn a Google penalty.

Google’s campaign against paid links ramped up in 2007, when the search giant sought to prevent webmasters from purchasing PageRank and the power of any other ranking signals, such as anchor text. The rel=nofollow attribute, which Google introduced in 2005 to help combat comment spam, was called into play. Webmasters should, Google said, indicate any paid links with the nofollow attribute. Webmasters were asked to report any paid links they knew about.

On Search Engine Land blog July 5, Barry Schwartz noted that Google started sending out more and more notices of penalization to sites selling links in January, 2011. This month, he said, there were reports

Quote:
reports that Google is notifying webmasters that they have bad links pointing to their web site, as opposed to bad links on their web site pointing outwards.”
Part of a typical notification reads:
Quote:
We’ve detected that some of your site’s pages may be using techniques that are outside Google’s Webmaster Guidelines.

Specifically, look for possibly artificial or unnatural links pointing to your site that could be intended to manipulate PageRank. Examples of unnatural linking could include buying links to pass PageRank or participating in link schemes.

We encourage you to make changes to your site so that it meets our quality guidelines. Once you’ve made these changes, please submit your site for reconsideration in Google’s search results.

If you find unnatural links to your site that you are unable to control or remove, please provide the details in your reconsideration request.
Purchasing links is an increasingly risky tactic.

Read the full report: Google’s Sending Webmaster Notifications About Bad Links Pointing At Their Sites

Old 07-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, July 15, 2011 - Undermining The Competition’s Paid Links

In the wake of Google’s continued assault on paid links, buying or selling links might seem too risky to you. So, what if your competition is still buying links willy nilly, and while you feel it isn’t fair, you’re not quite willing to take steps to report the sites where you suspect your rivals have bought links? How can you fight back?

Many of those webmasters may have sold those links without being aware of the risks, says Gab Goldberg, author of Advanced SEOs’ 7 Curiously Obvious Rules And 30 Singular Tactics That Illustrate Them.

Quote:
You can use that to your advantage? You can teach the link sellers about the risks in selling links. For example, the Google approved solution is to use nofollow on paid links. And nofollow allows the link seller to honour the contract while protecting their site. After all, if the link buyer didn’t say anything about risk... they also probably said nothing about dofollow or nofollow.

Perhaps you might offer the worried webmaster a javascript alternative to the plain html link, or code and instructions for a 302 temporary redirect?

Or perhaps the link-selling site can be bought out. That can be especially interesting if most of your competitors’ link strength derives from a few sites, as with the case of blogrolls.
Goldberg also discusses the ethics and wisdom of disclosing the risks to webmasters where you may care to purchase links.

You can read more of Golderberg’s wisdom in the free chapter of his book.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat. 7/16/2011 - 8 Lessons from Pickup Artists for Link Builders

Best advice for link builders: grow a thick skin, says Ben Wills, Ontolo, in his post, 8 Lessons from Pickup Artists for Link Builders.

You have to change your perspective, Wills, says and repeats an old sales motivational story to show you how:
Quote:
... guy who sells door to door and consistently makes only one sale out of 20 people he talks to. That sale, let’s say, gets him a $1,000 commission. He just can’t seem to get over that 1 out of 20. He thinks “Wow. 19 out of 20 people aren’t interested in what I’m offering. I must be pathetic!”

After long enough of feeling down on himself - 19 out of 20! -, he decides something has to change. He decides to try and change his perspective. And this is what he changes: Instead of seeing that 19 out of 20 people aren’t buying, why not consider that the commission, $1,000, is pretty consistently generated every 20 people I talk to? So….each person I talk to is like the equivalent of making $50!

The story goes on say that after each person who rejected him, he would say “Thanks for the $50!”
I like the concept of taking every “no” as one step closer to a yes. If you know there will be 19 rejections, you can tick each one off as progress to your success. After all, you know it’s coming! So, track your results so you can count on your success.

Read the rest of the post, for 7 more lessons you can take to the bank.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sun. 7/17/2011 - What’s Changed, What Stays The Same?

I am MJ's newest fan of her blog and noticed this great blog post this morning. What she don't know is that it's now the SEO tip for Sunday. lol

SEO Today: What’s Changed, What Stays The Same?

Quote:
In the wake of Google’s Panda updates, (a series of changes to the search giant’s algorithm which targeted lower quality sites), much has changed in the realm of search marketing. Some highly effective tactics have bitten the dust; some are altered but still viable.

One thing hasn’t changed – it still boils down to relevant, (link and Tweet worthy) content and relevant, quality incoming links. In fact, high quality content is more important than ever – and the game has changed. Creating useful, unique quality is no longer enough. You have to have something that sets it apart.

In a recent Whiteboard Friday video, Rand Fishkin noted:
Continued at: http://www.cyber-key.com/SocialSEO/s...tays-the-same/

I'm going to have to ask you to visit her blog to read the full blog post. If you wish to discuss anything that she has talked about then post a blog comment on her blog and create a thread in the SEO section here.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-18-2011, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, July 18, 2011 - How Might Google+ Posts Influence SERPs?

If you’ve joined Google+ - or if you're an SEO or webmaster waiting to get in – you probably want to know how Google will rank posts and/or links on the new social network. We already know that Google gives ranking weight to links on Facebook Pages and that it receives a Twitter feed that is stripped of the nofollow attribute. We know links are even more valuable when they come from a Twitter user whose posts are often ReTweeted. We know Facebook has an algorithm (called EdgeRank) to determine which posts you see in your stream. So, how will Google determine the relative ranking value of posts. For example, does the name you give a circle [the mechanism for organizing your contacts and determining who sees what and whose posts you see (Exploring Circles) inform Google on the relevance of posts to that circle?

Chatter on G+ certainly reflects this question and similar questions A few days ago, William Slawski, an SEO best known for his analysis of Google and other search engines patents, posted on Google+:
Quote:
One of the very interesting things about Google + is the freedom of people to use whatever names they want for the Circles they place people within.

Information about the names of those Circles may be data Google can use to learn about relationships between people in the Google social graph. They might also be used as possible annotations or meta data to label people based upon expertise (designers, SEOs, journalists, etc.), or location (local, newyorkers, houston, fauquier county, etc.), or in other ways.

Those labels could potentially be used as a signal, in combination with others, about how particular individuals’ Google + posts might rank in search results. The strength of those signals might rely in part upon the reputations and credentials of the people creating the circles, so that the weight of each might be different.
Slawski followed up on that stream with two relevant and informative blog posts:

and today's post:
Both are well worth a read if you’re interested to know how Google+ may influence SERPs.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - Social Media Stats

If you still haven’t expanded your online marketing campaign into Social Media – or if your SEO client or boss still doesn’t get why it’s important, perhaps a few of these statistics from AdAge will help brighten the Social light. From 50 Social Media Stats to Kickstart Your Slide Deck:

Quote:
"Social media accounts for one out of every six minutes spent online in US." (Journalism.co.uk)
Quote:
"Facebook users are overall more trusting than non-internet others. Pew reported, 43% of survey participants were more likely than other internet users to feel that most people can be trusted." (Pew Internet via Social Media Club)
Quote:
"59% of adult Facebook users had "liked" a brand as of April, up from 47% the previous September. Uptake among the oldest users appears to have been a major factor in this rise." (eMarketer)
Quote:
"Users say they're more likely to buy if a business answers their questions on Twitter." (NYTimes.com)
and yet, the article points out that:

Quote:
"25% of hotels [are] still ignoring social media." (TravelClick via Econsultancy)
On the other hand, traffic from social media has the highest bounce rate, according to an Outbrain study quoted in Marketing Pilgrim. But a higher bounce rate doesn’t mean the traffic isn’t worth having; it means you need to work harder to give them a reason to click on to other pages.

Read the rest of the article: http://adage.com/article/adagestat/5...e-deck/228708/.

And when you get that campaign going, (or if you already Tweet) be sure to look up V7N and follow the forum on Twitter.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. July 20, 2011 - Trick A Black Hatter: Get Links!

Black Hat Works – How To Make It Work For You And Keep Your White Hat In Place!

If you follow my posts on V7N, you probably already know what I think if Black Hat tactics – too risky! But what if you could trick Black Hatters into building links to your site? Sounds worth a gamble to me.

That’s the innovative link building technique laid out by Jason Capshaw a post today on Search Engine Journal. Black Hatters are not big on building content; Capshaw says, and often scrape other websites to generate their sites. The process is automated, and the process runs something like this:

Quote:
  1. Black hatter builds site own specific niche, like “Digital Cameras”
  2. He scrapes the Google Blog search for the most recent posts related to “Digital Cameras”
  3. He scrapes the sites featured in the blog search and steals the content, posting it to his WordPress blog
  4. He automatically gathers inbound links to these pages at a heavy rate, usually from a large link network that he has set up, scraping content to do so.
  5. He repeats the process over and over again until Google finally bans his domain and hopefully has made his money from the affiliate or ads on his site.
You take advantage of being scraped by placing links in your content back to your site.

Quote:
The key to making your stolen content work for you is to include back links in your post to your site. This can be manual links or related posts at the end of your post. Most black hat SEOs do not remove the links inside of a post. It is less likely that they will be reported for spamming if they leave the links intact.

Plus, removing the links requires more processing time and is not in their best interest to do so. This leaves you with a great inbound link opportunity.
Capshaw also explains how to set up your RSS feed to make your content more likely to be found by scrapers. Read the rest of the technique: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/h...ur-site/31173/

Old 07-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - Sidebar SEO For Bloggers

As some of you know, I have recently added a blog to my old static website, and I have also just hopped on the V7N Summer Long Blog Challenge, so it will come as no surprise that today’s tip is on SEO for blogs.

My sidebar has my attention today.
  1. I’m going to follow Yoast’s advice on sidebars and rather than have a blogroll to link out to friends and other blogs I like, I will create a Page for that. Another alternative would be to have it on the blog's home page only. Yoast writes:

Quote:
    Google and other search engines these days heavily discount site wide links, so you're not really doing your friends any more favor by giving them that site wide link, nor are you helping yourself: you're allowing your visitors to get out of your site everywhere, when you actually want them to browse around a bit.
  2. I also plan to remove the category navigation in my sidebar also. Chris Pearson, creator of the SEO-friendliest wordpress theme, Thesis, doesn’t think my category list should be there. Category pages, he says, are page bloat (like chronological archives) and that’s not SEO friendly at all. In What Every Blogger Needs To Know About Categories, Pearson writes:

Quote:
    As far as blogs are concerned, categories are the single biggest contributor to both page bloat and link dilution, two of the most abominable SEO sins. Ironically, when used properly, these same categories hold the key to efficient, automated site optimization and content management…
    The difference, of course, is all in how you use them. Armed with a bit of knowledge and a few lines of code, you’ll be able to use categories to:
    • display content however you like, wherever you like
    • link directly to interior pages—not to interstitial “bloat” pages like monthly archives or category archives
    • provide your users with a smarter, more intuitive way to browse content that may be of interest to them
    That last point is important: usability is increasingly an SEO issue as Google seeks to discern user behavior for ranking signals (more on that tomorrow).

Read the instructions and get the code to take control over how your categories are displayed in your sidebar: http://www.pearsonified.com/2008/02/...categories.php.

And please do join our blog challenge. If you've read this far, you probably have a blog and we want you to join us. You will get more readers for your blog, as well as more motivation to post!

Last edited by mjtaylor; 07-21-2011 at 02:47 PM. Reason: correcting link

Old 07-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, July 22, 2011 - How User Data May Influence Google SERPs

Until very recently, Google ranked web pages on signals that, simplistically put, fell into two categories: content and links. A response to a query was based on whether content was relevant to a query and a calculation of the incoming links in qualitative as well as quantitative terms. However, concurrent with the roll out of Panda, we’ve seen Google indicate it will incorporate behavioral data for ranking signals. For example, as announced the expansion of Panda to all English users on April 11, 2011, Google Fellow Amit Singhal, wrote that Google had now:
Quote:
incorporated new user feedback signals to help people find better search results. In some high-confidence situations, we are beginning to incorporate data about the sites that users block into our algorithms.
Now a new patent filing from Google indicates additional user behavior which may be used. In a report on the filing, How Google Might Rank Pages Based upon Usage Information Patent Analyst Bill Slawski says the application notes the limitations of those traditional signals – content can be manipulated and newer sites often have fewer incoming links and thus a lower score, and outlines some usage data that could be used to rank websites.

Slawski writes:
Quote:
The patent application includes examples of two types of usage data, frequency of visits to a page or site, and number of unique visitors to a page or site, but it tells us that other usage data might be included as well.
Advanced SEOs will want to read Slawski’s analysis and the patent itself, no doubt (as well as the comments - Slawski's blog gets read by some very knowledgeable folks). As with all patent filings, it is rare to know specifically what will – or has – already made it into Google’s algorithm, but we can surmise from recent events that user behavior is highly likely to increasingly figure into ranking signals.

Savvy SEOs and webmasters will put more and more focus on usability, analysis of bounce rate, navigation patterns, and other traffic metrics that can give them insight into the user experience on their site.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - Load Speed Matters

Here is Saturday's Tip.

Quote:
How fast a webpage downloads and displays in a user’s browser has always been important for online stores, primarily because faster loading pages convert better than slow pages. One of the easiest ways to increase sales is to radically slim down category and product pages to make shopping faster and easier.

But in recent times, load speed has become more important than ever because site performance now affects SEO. How fast your pages load now potentially affect your store’s rankings in Google’s organic results.

Slow loading sites often provide a bad user experience, and if it’s bad enough, Google could tag your domain as a low quality site.
Continued at: http://searchengineland.com/load-spe...-the-fat-85824

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Last edited by mjtaylor; 07-25-2011 at 06:27 AM. Reason: typo

Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - Do Sweat the Small Stuff

I don't know if anyone follows the YOUmoz blog but here is a blog post from the 22nd of this month to read.

Quote:
The book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff was a smash hit when published as it appealed to peoples sensibilities with its premise that life was too short to worry about the unimportant items. I must admit I purchased a copy and the short pithy one page stories appealed to me. People like quick digestible fixes. Attention spans are down the toilet these days as people Tweet, Facebook and send SMS to communicate with each other. Look at your email inbox and you will see that most messages are just 2-3 lines. My email inbox 5-6 years ago was full of much longer emails than it is today. People spent more time writing and composing email to get a better message across then. How many times have you had a long drawn out email discussion purely because the initial email didn't have all the facts which eventually came out through probing and multiple iterations? A lot I bet.

Unfortunately the same approach applies for SEO. Clients look for the quick fast fix. They think that some with some backlinks, a few extra pages and they can just wait for the great keyword ranking to appear. However this cannot be applied to on page optimization. Too many people look beyond the small stuff for their site when seeking that precious ranking on Google or other search engines. When I tell clients that they should write good content, focus on their title tags and work the simple basic stuff such as alt tags for images their eyes glaze over in most cases as they think that there is a one big hammer that can be used to grant them instant ranking for competitive keywords. They are not prepared to sweat the small stuff! Here are some examples of the small stuff that I tell people to focus on....
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/do-sweat-the-small-stuff

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum