Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-25-2011, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, July 25, 2011 - Does Your Blog Have Logo Egomania?

Even if you don’t have a blog, there is something to be learned from the The Definitive Guide to Semantic Web Markup for Blogs. For example:
Quote:
One key principle governs the markup on every page of your site:
Your goal is to describe each page to the search engines through the use of hierarchical XHTML tags (<title>, <h1>, <h2>, <h3> etc.) and to present them in a logical, meaningful order.
Pearson points out that wordpress logos are often coded within h1 tags, and he offers a simple solution to that problem of what he calls “logo egomania.”

Read the rest of the post for details and solutions: http://www.pearsonified.com/2007/04/...tic-markup.php.

If you do have a blog, you may want to join our Summer Long Blog Challenge: We post our new articles every day, offering members a chance to read other blogs and gain new readers as well as links to new posts. You can jump in any time and I hope you do!

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:24 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - meta refresh is not recommended

Google employee John Mueller recommended not to use meta refresh tag while answering to a question. Here is what he said..

Quote:
One thing I noticed was the following on your pages:
<meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="600">

In general, we recommend not using meta-refresh type redirects, as this can cause confusion with users (and search engine crawlers, who might mistake that for an attempted redirect). This is likely where the warning you saw came from. This is currently not causing any problems with regards to crawling, indexing, or ranking, but it would still be a good idea to remove that.
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...18a65e03&hl=en

Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - Changes To Reviews On Google Places

Google Places has changed – gone are third party reviews and the buttons to add a review or upload photos have become more prominent. Reviews from other sites such as Yelp, Citysearch and MenuPages, Booking.com and others are linked after the reviews added by Google users but not displayed. If your business has received mostly on 3rd party reviews, you will want to encourage your customers to add reviews on Google directly now so that positive comments are plentiful.

From Google:
Quote:
Based on careful thought about the future direction of Place pages, and feedback we’ve heard over the past few months, review snippets from other web sources have now been removed from Place pages. Rating and review counts reflect only those that’ve been written by fellow Google users, and as part of our continued commitment to helping you find what you want on the web, we’re continuing to provide links to other review sites so you can get a comprehensive view of locations across the globe.
But just because those third party citations no longer appear on your Google Places page don’t think they aren’t important any more! After all, says Matt McGee in “No, Local SEO Isn’t Dead … But It Is a Wee Bit Harder, citations are the “local” version of links.

Quote:
  1. Citations may not be visible, but they surely still matter. Don’t (ever!) forget the three pieces of the Google local rankings algorithm: location, relevance, and prominence. Those are straight from Google, not something us consultants have made up. Citations are still a primary way Google learns about a local business’ location. Citations also impact prominence: the more citations, the more prominent the business (in a very simplified way of looking at things).
  2. It’s like what Google has already done with links. If we all agree that citations are the local version of links, and we do all agree on that, then think back a few years for some precedence: Google killed the LINK: search command so that people couldn’t see a page’s inbound links. But that didn’t mean that links were less important to ranking. Many would argue that links are more important to rankings today than ever. (In fact, there’s an excellent discussion on Sphinn about that exact topic this week.)
There are some excellent references for further reading in the article: http://www.smallbusinesssem.com/loca...nt-dead/4631/#

Old 07-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - Tips For A Reconsideration Request

If you’ve been penalized by Google (or are doing something that could result in a penalty) you'll want to read this Eric Enge interview with Tiffany Oberoi, a member of the Search Quality team at Google.

Oberoi acknowleged that it can be tough for a webmaster to determine whether a drop in SERPs is a penalty (generally a manual “demotion” made to a website’s position when a violation of Google’s Guidelines have come to the attention of the search giant’s spam team) or a result of an algorithmic change as some sites experienced with the Panda update.

Quote:
If a site is affected by an algorithmic change, submitting a reconsideration request will not have an impact. However, webmasters don’t generally know if it’s an algorithmic or manual action, so the most important thing is to clean up the spam violation and submit a reconsideration request to be sure. As we crawl and reindex the web, our spam classifiers reevaluate sites that have changed. Typically, some time after a spam site has been cleaned up, an algorithm will reprocess the site (even without a reconsideration request) and it would no longer be flagged as spam.
But if you do have a penalty, Oberoi offered some tips on how to structure your reconsideration request:
Quote:
  1. Be specific. Carefully review Google’s webmaster guidelines and tell us what issues you found on your site and how you fixed them.
  2. Avoid hiding information. This is the time to address the issues head on. For example, a reconsideration request that says, “My sites adheres to the guidelines.” is not as useful as one that says, “I had some hidden text at the bottom of my homepage, but I have removed it now.” The second example makes it clear what the initial problem was and what has changed. The more detail you can provide, the better. It helps us assess the situation more fully.
  3. We want to be assured that we aren’t going to see these spammy techniques again. It’s helpful if you can include details about steps you’ve taken to prevent it from happening again, policy changes, etc. The people who review these requests want to be confident that the spam techniques have been removed and are not likely to return.
  4. Don’t mention how much you spend on ads. The team that handles reconsideration requests only cares about search quality. It’s irrelevant and doesn’t help your case to mention buying ads or being a partner or customer of other products.
Oberoi also discussed what communication you should expect from Google after submitting a reconsideration request and whether you should submit a second one if your site doesn't recover its position. Read the rest of the report: http://www.stonetemple.com/new-clari...iffany-oberoi/.

Additional resources:

Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, July 29, 2011 - How To Avoid The Next Panda Update

If you were affected by Panda, or fear getting caught up by the next Panda update, this WhiteBoard Friday video is for you:

Quote:
Want to avoid the next Panda Update and improve your websites quality? This week Will Critchlow from Distilled joins Rand to discuss an amazing idea of Will's to help those who are having problem with Panda and others who want to avoid future updates. Feel free to leave your thoughts on his idea and anything you might do to avoid Panda.
There's a transcript, but you really need to watch the video on this one: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/replicate...teboard-friday.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, July 30, 2011-Understanding TrustRank and How to Use it

I hope your weekend is going well. Here is todays SEO Tip.

Quote:
Some people say the mysterious Google TrustRank is what really determines SERP positions on result pages. It was obviously created to decide how trusted a website is by looking at various factors including security and the length of time a domain has been around on the web. They have never made an official explanation on this and have never spoken of it. However, there is no doubt that there are two elements that determine trust; user perception and trust ranking.

If you’re serious about website design or online business then this should be your number one priority. If not, you shouldn’t be looking too far into the future of your empire because you won’t be able to build up good relationships with leads or customers.

Why is It Important to Build Trusted Relationships?

Well first of all, you’re probably going to lose more than 80% of your potential buyers because the internet is well known for scams and spam. People don’t like to take a chance, especially when the online market is so competitive. The other reason is your best mate Google – if Google doesn’t trust you, people won’t find you, and if people can’t find you then there’s no point in running an internet business at all. Becoming a trusted site in their eyes will not only make you more visible to the online world, but to many others too.

How to Build Trust with Search Engines and Visitors

As mentioned earlier in this article, there are two main factors that will....
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/07/2...how-to-use-it/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 07-31-2011, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 10 Tips To Write A Killer Press Release

Here's not just one, but ten tips today to help you write a "Killer Press Release.”

Number 1, says Susan Payton in the post on Small Business Trends, write a compelling headline. You have to grab the attention of the reporters, editors and readers if you want to drive traffic and gain links.

Payton recommends watching your Ps and Qs – that is, spelling and grammar, and be sure to include your keywords, just as though you were creating a keyword rich page on your own site. And of course, you want to write as a newspaper journalist would: answering Who, What, When, Where and How?

Highlight quotable comments to make your press release stand apart, Payton says:

Quote:
Use a quote. People like quotes. I don’t know why. But having a polished quote that doesn’t say “I’m so excited about blah blah news” can enhance your release. Include a quote from the head of the company or someone involved in the news. Try to provide something useful (other than their reaction to the news). We know they think it’s great. Tell us something else.
Are you following the rest of Payton’s tips in your press releases? Find out here: http://smallbiztrends.com/2011/07/10...s-release.html.

Bonus tip #11: make sure you are using the structure good newspaper articles follow: the "inverted pyramid" presentation of content. That means your most important information is at the top and fluff is relegated to the bottom. Readers are in a hurry for information - give them your most valuable content at the top, and fill in the details at the bottom.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, August 1, 2011 - SEO Case Study in "Public Court."

Here’s an interesting opportunity to learn from a public case study, Calling All SEOs! You Be The Judge and the Jury.

A company has complained that they have been unfairly treated by Google and Marketing Pilgrim has asked SEOs to have a look at the site and be the “judge and jury.” They are using the legal terms because their cause has been picked up by antitrust attorney Gary Reback. The site experienced some drop in SERPs around a couple of the Panda updates.

Blogger Frank Reed looked over the site and made some critical comments and then opened it up to the readers. Blog comments aren’t necessarily where you see usually see substantive content, but this article has attracted some intelligent replies and is worth a read, IMO.

It also drew a response from Google's John Mueller [bold mine for SEO insight]:

Quote:
You said “We went to the press because we were unable to reach anyone at Google.” I actually provided advice regarding ShopCity’s network twice, once in February 2011 and again in April 2011. Here are the threads for reference:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/...tid=75afa2ec4c 13ae8d&hl=en
http://www.google.com/support/forum/...tid=266cfb1a0c f60c3a&hl=en

I tried to make clear in those posts that the 8000+ site ShopCity network had issues with auto-generated content, duplicate content, and little original content. I also recommended against employing thousands of domains and recommended against cross-linking so many of your domains.

I just wanted to point out that you were able to reach someone at Google, and we did our best to provide constructive advice.
Reading the analysis in the comments will provide some insight into how some SEOs critique other sites: http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2011...the-jury.html/, as well as some reminders to take care with how you manage indexing of pages, content generation and more.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, August 2, 2011- keywords in a domain name

What do you prefer? Keyword rich domain name or a brandable one? Google might still be putting some weight on the keyword rich domain names but if you are shooting for a big success you might want a name that is more brandable. In the near future they might reduce their inclination towards KIDs.

[YT]rAWFv43qubI[/YT]

Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 - How to Build Quality Content

Having problems getting indexed at Bing? Perhaps it is the quality of your content

Quote:
Building quality content is far more than simply building content. And how do we measure “quality”? In this post we’ll examine some of the factors often attributed to “quality” content, explain why you want to include them and help explain how the measurement of “quality” happens, though it may not be what you expect.

We’ll tackle these in reverse order, first examining what qualifies content as “quality”, then reviewing the basic outline of producing “quality” content.
How To Build Quality Content - Webmaster Central Blog Bing

Wouldn't hurt to read and impliment the ideas here so you get indexed by all the search engines.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, August 4, 2011 - 5 Free Backlinks For Liking a FB Page

Here are five (or more) free followed links for a very few minutes of your time. All you have to do is click through to this page,
http://www.seorankings.com/facebook-...free-backlinks, like the company’s Facebook Page and then let the webmaster, V7N Mentor Wesley LeFebvre, know. He will send you a page where you can get 5 free links in short order.

I added several of my sites, and then monitored how soon Google cached the pages. Three were cached within a few days; a couple of then the same day I added the link. Two sites, however, weren’t indexed. I Tweeted one and Stumbled the other – to no avail. So, I posted the links on my blog (you can check it out in the blog link on my profile above left) to see if Google will index them that way.

So, today’s tip is not just a way to get a few, fast followed links, it’s also an example of a clever free campaign to get new “likes” for a Facebook page.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, Aug 5, 2011 - Keyword Density Myth Laid To Rest by Bing

In a recent Bing Webmaster Tools article on Keyword Research, Bing laid the Keyword Density (KWD) myth to rest:

Duane Forrester, who runs the public outreach for Bing's Webmaster program, wrote:

Quote:
Years ago there was the concept of "keyword density". The idea being there was an ideal number of times for the keyword to appear within a page of content - a sweet spot, that the engines liked to see. Don't focus any time on this tactic. It was marginal then and is a waste of time today.
Of course, there is a point at which the negative factor of keyword stuffing comes into play, but you don’t need any sort of tool for that other than your own mind. If you read a page and it has too many keywords, you can tell immediately. And you have far, far exceed that obvious overuse of a keyword to trip the negative filter for keyword stuffing. As long as your copy sounds natural and flows, the ratio of keywords has no impact on your ranking.

May the KWD Myth Rest In Peace.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, Aug. 6, 2011 - Tips For The Blogosphere

How can you not like someone who includes a quote from Dr. Seuss in an article on blogging:
Quote:
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.”
Self described marketing nut, Pam Moore, offers 11 more very positive tips for navigating the social blogosphere - as a blogger and a commentator. Be yourself, be positive, have an opinion and look for substance not eye candy:

Quote:
Don’t judge a blog by it’s cover. Don’t judge a blog by it’s header or it’s widgets.” Many good bloggers are running on tight budgets. They may be fabulous writers but may lack design skills. You could lose out on some of the best content if you judge only by looks.
I would add another: just as it’s important to retweet our followers' Tweets, it’s a good idea to look for ways to share blog posts that you find of value. By all means, comment if you have something to say, and Tweet the post or share it on Facebook. If you have a blog, when you write a post, try to link to someone else in your blog community – someone whose content and style you respect and whose topics are relevant and useful for your site visitors. It is a social platform, after all, and every time we link out to another site we tell the search engines: this is my neighborhood and I am linking to it.

Read the rest of Pam Moore’s tips: 12 Tips To Run Your Own Race In the Social Blogging World.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, Aug. 7, 2011 - Small Business Guide to Using Local SEO

Todays SEO tip is as follows. (Tweet this if you know your followers should know this stuff)

Small Business Guide to Using Local SEO to Get New Customers

Quote:
Beginning in October 2010, Google began making changes which have allowed small businesses to be more easily found in search results based on geography. This shift in local search visibility, is easily, the greatest change in search geared toward small businesses since the advent of the search engine. Yes, it’s that good!

All it takes is a little bit of elbow grease and knowledge of a few key factors to help a small business with a physical location rank for searches with local intent.

What is local intent?

In short, local intent is identified by Google’s understanding of an online search with the intent to purchase offline; this is also defined as “local search”.

Google understands that if a searcher needs to locate a plumber within a small town in California, they don’t need information on plumbers in New York. So, for example, a search for “plumber” would very likely reveal a list of nearby plumbers within the first page of Google’s search results.

Google has several ways of understanding where people are located when they perform a search. So a search with local intent means that they can use the searchers location to show relevant results in their area.

What local search means to small businesses

Google’s work to understand what searchers want to...
Continued at: http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/2011/0...usiness-guide/

Read the blog comments also.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 08-08-2011, 01:20 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, August 8, 2011 - Get On The Google+ Train

Google has released a new button to allow you to invite your friends to join you on Google+, the new social platform by the search giant. The button is on the right side of your Google+ stream, in the same position where you previously could invite friends, one at a time.
You can still invite folks via individual email, but the button also gives you a link <= (mine if you need an invitation) to allow you to add up to 150 friends. You can Tweet or add it to your website. It's time to get on board if you haven't already. The sharks are already circling. Yep, sharks are the folks who "Circle" you but you don't follow back. See: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...62-501465.html.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, August 9, 2011 - Bounce Rates Do Have An Impact on SEO

If you've bounced around the forums for any length of time you know that SEOs argue over whether bounce rates or any other sorts of user behavior can impact search rankings. Historically, it's been argued that since search engines can't collect information equally on all web sites, it wouldn't be a reliable metric. That point of view has less and less support, though, particularly in the wake of Panda. (See: How Google's Panda Update Changed SEO and How User Data May Influence Google SERPs.)

In a Search Engine Journal post today, Actual Bounce Rate vs. Bounce Rate, and Why the Difference Matters for SEO, Glenn Gabe writes:

Quote:
Over the past few years, there has been a lot of debate (and confusion) about whether bounce rate is a signal that the search engines use to determine quality content. Matt Cutts has probably been asked this question ten thousand times, and has referenced bounce rate when answering some questions about ranking factors. You can check out the part of the video about page speed to see what I’m referring to. Then with the rollout of Panda, an important algorithm update that targeted low quality content, bounce rate and other quality signals entered the spotlight.

In addition, Duane Forrester recently wrote a post defining quality content (from a Bing perspective). It’s a great post, and I highly recommend you go through it thoroughly. There are some great points Duane underscores. As part of the post, Duane explains that the engines can monitor “dwell time”, or the time a person remains on your page before clicking back to the search results. If visitors are clicking through the search listings to your site, and then clicking back to Bing quickly (in just a few seconds), that can be a negative signal to Bing. He clearly explained they have this on their radar from an SEO standpoint (and that it does matter for determining quality content).

Gabe says that you can't assume the bounce rate in your analytics program is your actual bounce rate and explains how to learn which is which. Read the rest of the report: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/a...tters-for-seo/

Old 08-10-2011, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed, August 10, 2011 - SEO Expert: Rand Fishkin Interview

Nice interview done by a V7N member on the sitepronews blog.

Quote:
For a while now, I’ve been thinking about interviewing top online marketers as an entertaining way of changing things up with my articles – but also to share with you different viewpoints, opinions and levels of expertise. Anyway, this is my first attempt in what I hope to be a regular series of interviews with top marketers (we’ll see how it goes). So without further ado, it is my pleasure to bring to you my interview with highly-respected SEO expert, Rand Fishkin. For those of you who don’t know who Rand Fishkin is. Here’s a brief bio:

Rand Fishkin is the CEO & Co-Founder of the web’s most popular SEO Software provider; SEOmoz. He co-authored The Art of SEO from O’Reilly Media and was named to the 40 Under 40 List and 30 Best Young Tech Entrepreneurs Under 30.

Rand has been written about in The Seattle Times, Newsweek and PC World among others and keynoted conferences on search around the world. He’s particularly passionate about the SEOmoz blog, read by tens of thousands of search professionals each day.
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/08/0...kin-interview/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 08-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, August 11, 2011 - How To Avoid Being Called A Spammer

If you’re a link builder or an SEO, you may frequently come under fire for -- or at least suspicion of – being a spammer. A Search Engine Journal post this week, How To Avoid the Spam Label, examines some spammy tactics to help offenders understand why they are being labeled and - more importantly - why spammy marketing tactics don't work.

It starts with your intention - which is 9/10ths of "the law," right? If you are Tweeting, or blog commenting – or posting in a forum – and your only purpose is to obtain links - then you are spamming, no matter how good the quality of your content.

Todd Heim writes:

Quote:
... let me warn you: if you’re involved in social media solely for the SEO value of the links from your favorite social media sites – you’re doing it wrong.
Self Promotion. Most of us do have an agenda, though.

Quote:
There’s nothing wrong with the occasional self promotion. The problem is when it’s only self promotion with little else to offer, it becomes obviously self-serving and a turn off. When sharing links from your site or blog exclusively and from nowhere else, people consider this spam. Even if it’s super fantastic, neat-o content, you’re spamming people. Even if your blog has no advertising, marketing or business model: you’re still a spammer.
Personally, I like to limit self promoting tweets or FB links to no more than 1 in 10. The rest of the time, I try to provide content that is of interest to my contacts. Then when I post something that is all about me, well, it's not all about me all the time.

Heim talks about several other types of spam, including Blog Spam – it’s not what you think -- and "linkjacking. Read the rest of the article: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/s...2%80%9d/31815/

Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, August 12, 2011 - SEO Tactics: On-Site Optimization

T.G.I.F

Todays tip is as follows:

Successful SEO Tactics: On-Site Optimization

Quote:
On-site optimization has long been a cornerstone in any organic search effort. It’s an expansive topic and to fully cover it within one article would be impossible.

We’re previously discussed keyword selection. As the second of four spheres in the SEO Tactics Chart, we’ll now address some of the more important considerations related to the art and science of on-site optimization.

One important principle when dealing with on-site optimization tactics is to optimize toward the end user. Never forget who you’re trying to attract to your site. An engine’s algorithm isn’t going to convert, a human being will. Never lose sight of this.

Another important principle is to plan holistically. Don’t think of your sitemap, title tag, description tag, H1, breadcrumb, ATL tag, etc., as separate attributes used in the process of optimizing a page. These attributes must work together at the page level to be successful.

Deliberately match up....
Continued at: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...e-Optimization

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 08-13-2011, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Saturday, August 13, 2011 - Niche Vocabulary

Before i sneak out of here for a little bit, here is a SEO Tip for you.

Niche Vocabulary – Why Poor Content Can’t Hide in Google

Quote:
Google can spot bad content a mile off and consign it to the supplemental index, but there is a simple solution to making sure big G sit up and take note – use your niche vocabulary.

When an expert in any field writes an article, there is a certain vocabulary associated with the topic of the article. Someone who knows the topic very well will use that vocabulary naturally within the article and in fact needs to use it if the article is to be a quality piece on the topic.

Someone who really doesn’t know the topic will struggle to perhaps not only find, but also use the niche vocabulary correctly … and this content will stick out … in a bad way!

Could you write without this vocabulary?

Let’s assume you want an article written on....
Continued at: http://www.famousbloggers.net/niche-...nt-google.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum