Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum

SEO Forum Search engine optimization discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-14-2011, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 3 Common Link Building Mistakes

The weekend is just about over. Here is a short SEO tip to read.

Quote:
After optimizing your site for both visitors and the search engines (visitors first!), you have to create a diverse portfolio of one-way, incoming links to your site to help drive targeted traffic through. That’s where link building comes in. It may seem like a relatively simple process, but it is incredibly important that you take a strictly white hat approach to your link building. This means no link exchanges, link farms, cloaked text, spamming blogs and so forth. But did you know you could still be mishandling your link building campaign, even if you are avoiding any black hat tactics?

Here are 3 common link building mistakes:
Continued at: http://www.searchengineoptimizationj...ding-mistakes/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, August 15, 2011 - Bury These Deadly Search Myths

Get out the shovel and bury these myth's that have been around for years. This blog post is just another reminder.

Quote:
Every culture has its own mythology, most of it originally based in fact. However, even as facts change, the mythos behind them fail to budge. In the geekily obsessive world of SEO, it’s no surprise that some once-true SEO myths have stuck around long past their prime. Here are some nefarious SEO fables that people (hint: possibly you) still believe and waste money on
Continued at: http://www.searchenginejournal.com/d...believe/31511/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 08-16-2011, 08:26 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, August 16, 2011 Is there a limit to 301 redirects?

Wow, Matt started to make videos differently. Using the whiteboard and making his own questions. This video is a must watch to learn about 301 redirects. I never seen any more detailed explanation video than this one.

[YT]r1lVPrYoBkA[/YT]

Old 08-17-2011, 04:32 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. 8-17-2011 - +1 Buttons Result in 3.5X More Google+ Traffic

If traffic from Google+ is of interest to you, it's time to get that Google +1 button on every page of your website. A Hubspot study of 5,000 websites found websites received significantly more traffic if they had the +1 button on the site: 3.5 times the traffic.

From the article:

Quote:
Use social sharing buttons! While this statement seems obviously many businesses overlook their value and don't use them. Social sharing buttons serve two important purposes. The first is they make it super easy and quick for a visitor to share your content on social media sites. The second is social sharing buttons act as a call-to-action on your blog that helps remind visitors that their online connections might be interested in the content as well.
Read more: http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6...sits-Data.aspx

Let's connect on Google+ and share what we're reading and writing.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, August 18, 2011- Latest about dashes & Underscores

My last video about it was not accepted here in v7n but I'm sure this one is not avoidable. The video was posted on 5th August 2011.

[YT]AQcSFsQyct8[/YT]

Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, August 19, 2011 - Words Of Wisdom on Link Building

A Nick LeRoy interview today with Broken Link Building Guru Melanie Nathan offers more than a few words of wisdom any SEO can use.

Melanie is known for her finesse with the broken link building method, and she is picky about which sites and pages she targets. Not just any page with a broken link will do. On determining the quality of a page she told Nick:

Quote:
Relevance is my number one priority. After that, I visually scan the site looking for such things as; numbers of dofollow OBLs, quality of the textual content and overall value. If it looks good then I run it through the Raven Quality Analyzer tool. This tool saves me time because it examines such factors as number of backlinks, number of indexed pages, age of domain and mozRank, all of which helps determine the trustworthiness of a site in the eyes of a search engine. Generally, if the site gets a score higher than 65, I go for the link.
She also takes toolbar PageRank into account:

Quote:
Yes, I do take PR into account when weighing the quality of a link prospect. As long as Google still uses it as a measure of quality, I’d be an idiot not to. #justsayin
While the broken link approach is not a new tactic, it is one Melanie has perfected. You’ll want to read http://citationlabs.com/broken-link-...elanie-nathan/ and http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...ng-method.html for a start.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Aug. 20, 2011 - URL Shorterner Offers Engagement

I’ve been using bit.ly to shorten links I share to sites where I can’t access traffic metrics. It let’s me track the links I share and learn more about what my followers or Facebook friends like.

I’m about to switch to Bizo Switchboard and give the beta version a try. Why? Because Bizo Switchboard promises to go one better than bit.ly and its peers. Billed as the “first smart link shortener for business,” the tracking will allow me to see who has clicked on my links so that I can engage them.

Quote:
Switchboard is about understanding who is clicking on your shared links, deepening engagement with your shared link clickers and driving them through your marketing funnel.
And engagement is what social media is about, isn’t it?

Comparison chart with some other URL shorteners:

Read more about this handy new tool: http://switchboard.bizo.com/.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, August 22, 2011 - How Important Is Image Optimization?

How Important Is Proper Image Optimization?

Optimizing images accurately may be more important than you think, says Kasy Allen, who (like me) often resorts to image search to find what she seeks. Kasy uses a recipe search she’s made to illustrate her point. She’s looking for a particular result, and reading recipes will tell her less than the photos. So she uses image search to find the tastiest looking tortilla soup.

From http://www.seomoz.org/blog/is-optimi...han-you-think:

Quote:
Another example, my husband was working on our car and couldn't find the instructions he needed to install a certain part. He was getting frustrated with the search results and I suggested that he switch to Google Images to see if he could find what he needed there. Within seconds he found exactly what he needed.
Since Google images has its own bot, she says, optimizing your images properly -- that is not keyword stuffing the alt tag, but accurately labeling what the image reflects – is worthwhile.

She analyzes a few images and their page meta data and incoming links as a case study. Read the entire post: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/is-optimi...than-you-think

Old 08-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - SEO Tips for Photobloggers

For anyone who dreams of making a commercial photo blog, this post is for you. SEO Daily Tips says photoblogs that are less than a year old can be commercially viable. The article offers 17 SEO tips for the new photoblogger. For example, Warner cautions against using keywords no one searches, and once you’ve identified keywords that are powerful, be sure to use them in file names, descriptions and captions.

More tips:

Quote:
  • Talk about your artwork. Write something about your photo, how you took it, and the story behind it. Write sensibly and passionately. Be creative and adventurous. Review photography books and other photoblogs, interview photographers, and do something new with your photos once in a while. Surprise your readers and give search engines something new to crawl on your site. More content means more keywords, and more sensible articles mean more readers and hits. Updating your blog regularly with new entries entices more readers and followers, and increases search engine indexing possibilities.
Quote:
  • If you’re on a budget, use WordPress instead of Tumblr or other photoblogging-focused platforms. WordPress is still best when it comes to blogging, because the platform offers free, ready-to-use plugins that support your SEO campaigns.
Read the rest of the post: http://dailyseotip.com/new-photoblog...-for-seo/1648/

Old 08-24-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed August 23, 2011 - Has Your Firm Got A Formal SEO Process?

In a recent survey by Market Sherpa, more than 20% of participating companies had no formal SEP process; 48 percent reported an informal process rarely monitored companies.

The article outlines eight questions to guide the creation of a formal SEO process.

Excerpt from http://searchenginewatch.com/article...B-SEO-Process:

Quote:
4. Do decision making personnel understand how their role and department can impact SEO?
While the website development team is an obvious first start, don’t forget the impact other departments can have on a SEO formal process.
  • Marketing communications and social media for link acquisition and traffic building.
  • Product marketing integrated with competitive SEO analysis.
  • Strategic leadership must support SEO initiatives and keyword strategies.
Read the entire report: http://searchenginewatch.com/article...2B-SEO-Process

Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thurs., Aug. 25, 2011 - Critical Thinking for the Discerning SEO

What's the next SEO Book you should read? Critical Thinking for the Discerning SEO, by V7N's own moderator Doc Sheldon. Sheldon wrote the book, he says, to help newer SEOs figure out how to think critcally about the SEO "information" find in forums, blogs and other online sources. How to separate the wheat from the chaff?

Quote:
When asked what the single most important thing for any SEO to learn is, my immediate response is: Learn what to believe, and what to label “Bull****!”
It was a tough slog to figure out what SEO ideas were correct and what was “just flat out wrong” when author Doc Sheldon (a V7N moderator) started out. Since he didn’t know what he didn’t know, it wasn’t easy to figure out who to believe and follow....

Quote:
Some of the folks I followed knew what they were talking about. Others knew some things, but talked like they knew it all. And an alarmingly large percentage was pumping pure garbage… That’s why I’m writing this book, to help others sift through the sea of misinformation and find reliable sources.
The Book, compiles the thoughts and experiences of some of the top names in the field of SEO – including Alan Bleiweiss, Michelle Robbins, Heather Lloyd-Martin, Rand Fishkin, Ian Lurie, Danny Sullivan & William Slawski and a list of worthy others (including yours truly who is honored to be among such an illustrious group).

Doc Sheldon picked the brains of these search experts and professionals on topics such as:
  • as the greatest challenges faced by search marketers today;
  • changes they’d like to see on the SEO landscape;
  • which SEO activities are most counter productive;
  • which internet marketing tactics produce the best results;
  • dramatic changes they foresee in the next year or two; and
  • favorite SEO tools.

The sticker price is $27.97, but a limited number of copies are available free when you make a $20 donation to the charity of your choice.

Get your copy: http://docsheldon.com/shop/index.php...&product_id=51

Old 08-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri. Aug. 26, 2011 - The Scummiest SEO Tactic Ever?

Still a fan of article marketing? If you read much of what I have to say, you know I think article marketing is not one of the higher roads to high ranking. So, today's Whiteboard Friday topic is right up my alley.

Quote:
This week we're talking about one of the scummiest, lowdownest, dirtiest, ugliest, messiest, nastiest, no goodnesst things of all in the SEO world, it is called article marketing.
While I am not sure I would quite go that far, I do think that most article marketing is pure spam. And no, SEOMoz’s Rand Fishkin is not talking about guest blogging, he is ranting about webmasters and so called “ SEOs” who write content of dubious quality and doubtful usability and distribute “spun” versions in article directories.

Quote:
I was speaking at an affiliate conference event, and there were some people in the room. One of the people there asked me, she said, "You know, Rand, I do a lot of article marketing, and I am wondering, instead of writing unique content pieces, entirely unique, I heard that Google only duplicate content checks the first and the last paragraph. So can I just leave the middle paragraphs the same and produce hundreds of different articles, send them out to all the different sites? Because usually the editors, they don't even have editors or they are crappy. They don't review anything. So, if the first paragraph is unique, they usually accept the article and I can get them reposted. Do you think that will work well?"

I don't even know how to tell you what's wrong with your frame of mind when you ask these questions. It's incredibly frustrating. I tried to be very empathetic and explain, hey, search engines use these mark off chain analyses, they can detect duplicate content, very similar content pretty easily, and these sites tend to be very low quality anyway.
{bold mine}

You may get some short term boost, Rand says, but in the long run, it doesn’t work. Watch the rest of Whiteboard Friday and learn why: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/article-m...teboard-friday.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat., August 27, 2011 - Drawing For SEO Starter Package Giveaway

Today's tip is for just one of you! If you enter this V7N drawing, you will have a chance to SEO starter package worth $740. Here's what the lucky winner gets for his or her website:

Quote:
Starter SEO Package
  • Keyword Research
  • 4000 Directory Submissions
  • 1200 Unique Social Bookmarking
  • 300 Article Marketing
  • 200 Press Release Submissions
  • DMOZ Submission
  • Squidoo Lens
Sign up is quick and easy. Do it here: http://blog.v7n.com/2011/08/23/seo-package-giveaway/.

Last edited by mjtaylor; 08-28-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: correcting date

Old 08-28-2011, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sun., August 28, 2011 - Advice For SEO Copywriters

SEO Copywriters get some good advice in an interview with Terry (“Webmaster T”) Van Horne:

Quote:
… don’t get too enamored with SEO! Learn as much as you can about keyword research! There is a lot more to it than just getting query data from a tool!

Keyword research and development of personas are keys to SEO Copywriting success in an age where Google is really developing its ability to know who you are and your status in your community.

Mostly, be careful not to change your writing style! The best SEO copywriting doesn’t look SEO’ed at all!
Van Horne also discussed Panda -- (“Most sites that got hit deserved it!”) -- and what the lessons are/ For example, Van Horne believes relevant content is growing in importance.

Quote:
There is definitely a trend away from link text/authority to more on-site relevance and personalization of authors and internet users. Google now has the ability, using the Social Graph, to track reviewers, authors and other entities. Link authority will have some value…it will just be drastically reduced.
Read the rest of the post: http://www.seocopywriting.com/conten...rry-van-horne/

Old 08-29-2011, 09:26 AM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

SEO Tip of the Day: Mon, August 29, 2011 - 14 off and onsite SEO techniques

9 High Quality Linkbuilding Techniques In 2011.

Table Of Content.

Guest Blogging
News Pitching
Ego Bait
Crowdsourcing
Content-based Link Outreach
Relationship-based Links
Brand-driven Links
Dead-link Building
Strong Internal Linking
http://www.affilorama.com/blog/9-hig...ethods-in-2011

5 On-page SEO Techniques To Consider This Year.

Table Of Content.

Schema
Authorship Markup
Page Speed
Trust Indicators
Length of Content
http://www.affilorama.com/blog/5-on-page-seo-techniques

Last edited by ameerulislam; 08-29-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: some decoration.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: 8/3011 - Google Takes Aim At Pages With Misspelled Keywords

Still think including misspelled versions of your keywords is a good idea for SEO? In case you haven't noticed, Google no longer returns the SERPs for the misspelled query; instead it offers you the SERPs for the correct spelling.

Until recently, Google would return SERPs for the typo or misspelling and include a link that read "did you mean ... [corrected term]" but you had to click through to get the organic results for the correctly spelled term.

But Google found that pages that contain typos are often lower quality, so the algorithm was adjusted to return the corrected SERPs first with a link for "Search instead for ... [misspelled term]."

Here's an example. In the past, if you misspelled this common antibiotic you would have seen:

But today, Google returns the SERPs for the correctly spelled query:

If you compare the top SERPs for both terms, or even just the snippets, I think you will agree with Google; the pages returned for the misspelled term are not as high quality as the top ten results for the correct term.

Of course, there are other excellent reasons for not having typos on your page; it doesn't look professional to users. Time to take care of any misspellings on pages. It's no longer a boon to your placement, and is more likely a negative ranking signal.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Wed. August 31, 2011 - 9 Reasons Why Your Content Isn't Shared

What’s the point of social networking? You want to develop relationships and more exposure for your content, right? Exposure brings traffic, conversions and if you have worthy content, links … which brings more traffic.

So, how do you get content shared on social networks? You need exposure – that is, you need friends, fans and contacts, you need valuable content that is worthy of sharing and you need to give people a reason to share it.

Assuming for a moment that you have plenty of fans and followers and your content is getting exposure, the final and most important ingredient is to figure out what will motivate folks to share it. And sometimes looking at what doesn’t work can help you figure out what does.

A recent post from Phil Mershon on Social Media Examiner, reveals 9 Reasons Why Your Content Is Not Shared on Social Networks: New Research:

Quote:
The New York Times recently partnered with Latitude Research to unpack the psychology of sharing. Based on their study of 2500 participants (and some other recent research), here are 9 reasons why your customers aren’t sharing your content.
Among the problems are a lack of trust, the ho-hum factor (your posts are boring), a failure to understand your audience.

Read more about why your content isn’t shared and what to do about it: http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/9...ch/#more-11367

Old 09-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Administrator

SEO Tip of the Day: Thrus. Sept. 1, 2011 - Link farms and Like farms

Looking for a quick way to boost your site? Don't do it.
Quote:
With our very busy lives, it’s easy to be tempted to engage in tactics that would seem to create efficiencies for us. Signing up for, or paying for services which appear to take the pain out of critical tasks like managing your social program properly, or building links to your content may seem like a smart move, but be warned. You may be setting yourself up to fail in the long run.
Bing Link farms and Like farms – don’t be tempted - Webmaster Center blog - Site Blogs - Bing Community

The article goes on to explain what link farms and like farms are and what harm they can do to your website promotion.

Think the search engines won't notice a sudden spike in popularity of your site? Think again.
Quote:
...we can see sudden explosions of links as spammy, it’s easy to understand how we can see sudden explosions of likes as spammy as well....

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-01-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:48 AM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Fri. 9/2/11 - Google Changes WMT Link Reports For Subdomains

Google announced Wednesday that it has changed the way it reports a site’s links from subdomains in Webmaster Tools: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...-external.html.

Links from a site’s own subdomains are no longer reported as external links; they are now shown as internal links.

The jury is out on how that will this change will impact SERPs, but the trend has been to diminish a site’s ability to dominate the real estate of organic results. Some webmasters have presumed that because subdomain links were reported as external, that links from subdomains were treated as external backlinks for SEO impact.

Since Google tends to want to reduce the ability of a webmaster to manipulate PageRank and other ranking factors, one might presume subdomain links will be treated as internal links in that respect, as well.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sat. 9/3/11 - Rankings Dropped? 9 Possible Reasons and 9 Ways Out

I've noticed over the past few weeks that people have lost there rankings or just lost a boat load of traffic. Take a look at this blog post for some information that may help you out.

Quote:
Sometimes SEOs and site owners encounter the problem of their sites suddenly going down in the search engine results pages for no particular reason, it seems. When this happens, it is often hard to figure out why your rankings nosedived.

So, let’s consider possible reasons for and solutions to the problem. I arranged them by relevance, starting with the most common ones.
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2011/09/0...usive-article/

Don't get upset if you loose your rankings and traffic, work on finding out the issue that caused this and continue link building. Visit our SEO section for further help with SEO.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > SEO Forum